Thread: Petit Le Mans 2010

Petit Le Mans 2010

Well its the final round this weekend of the ALMS. The GT crown for Risi maybe not looking good as Bergmiester&Long are on 137 points and Jimmie Bruni is on 117 Lets hope Risi has good race tomorrow and get the win.

Practice Notes From Petit Le Mans, Road Atlanta
    Talking Points....

This year’s race features the largest field (45 cars) for any Series race in more than seven years. Only once has the event seen more cars on the starting grid and that was in 2002. Petit Le Mans is one of two races in the world where class winners are able to earn automatic invitations to the following year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans. The other is Le Mans itself.

For the first time in Series history, championship title chases in all classes are going down to the wire. Thirty points go to class winners at Road Atlanta. Risi needs to win the race and have its nearest rivals – Flying Lizard Motorsports and BMW Rahal Letterman to finish 6th and 5th (or lower) respectively to clinch the Teams’ Championship. It’s a challenge but this team likes nothing better than a challenge.

This year’s Petit Le Mans powered by MAZDA 2 is the second round of the new Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, a global sports car racing championship sanctioned by the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) – the governing body of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. There are three rounds in the 2010 ILMC – Silverstone, which took place earlier in September, Petit Le Mans and Zhuhai, China in November. For 2011, the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup will expand to seven events including the two Blue Riband North American ALMS events – Sebring and Petit Le Mans.

Practice Patter...

Since the weekend’s test session, the Risi Competizione drivers have only been out on track for yesterday’s 90 minutes test session. Despite there being two scheduled practice sessions today, plus night practice, Road Atlanta caught the edge of the tropical storm that has been moving up the Eastern coast of the USA and both the morning and afternoon sessions were wet.

With so much at stake, it was decided that the Risi Ferraris would not run in the wet – a decision echoed by many of the teams up and down the paddock. Having recorded the top two fastest laps yesterday – Bruni on a 1:20.719 and Fisichella on a 1:20.937 – the team feels secure that its ‘rookie’ drivers (Bruni, Fisichella and Vilander) have now learnt the track and are reasonably comfortable with the cars’ set up.

Jaime Melo commented: “It was a good session for all three drivers and Giancarlo did a 1:20.937 on the last lap – the quickest of all of us in the #61 car. I’m pleased with how things went in testing and we are where we want to be. I did my time on new tires but with a full fuel tank so we had good data for the race.”

Giancarlo Fisichella was enjoying his first experience of the 2.54 mile Road Atlanta: “It’s a good track. I had a chance to drive Saturday and Sunday in testing. Saturday was a full day and I did enough laps to learn the track and now I feel confident and comfortable here. Today has been a very good day for us, we are second quickest and, considering the amount of laps on the tires when I drove, I was the quickest of the three of us so I am very happy with that. The car looks good, has a good balance and I’m looking forward to the rest of the weekend.

“It’s a very challenging track, especially the first part of the circuit with a lot of high speed corners. It’s going to be difficult I’m sure on Saturday with the traffic, but it’s going to be an interesting race to follow for sure.”

For tonight’s mandatory night practice, all drivers have to complete a minimum of three laps so the cars will be on track no matter what the conditions.

Guest Spots...

A large number of guests will be attending Petit Le Mans, representing Risi’s sponsors Pennzoil UltraTM and Motorola, as well as 50 Ferrari owners from the Atlanta area who will be bringing their vehicles for a spectacular Ferrari Corral.

Prior to all the drivers making a visit to talk to the guests tomorrow, we talked to Toni Vilander about the relationship between Ferrari, Shell Oil Company (Pennzoil being a Shell brand) and Risi Competizione:

RC: Can you tell us more about the partnership with Pennzoil Ultra TM?
    TV: Pennzoil Ultra TM is a technical partner and the official motor oil of Risi. Did you know that the same Pennzoil Ultra TM 5W40 that we use in our two Ferrari 430GTs is the same you can buy at the store for your car?

RC: Is there a relationship between Pennzoil and Ferrari as well as Risi Competizione?
    TV: Yes. I didn’t know until recently that, when the first Ferrari drove out of the factory gates in Maranello [Italy] in 1947, it was using Shell products to power and protect its engine, just like our cars are today. Shell Oil Company currently has a technical partnership with Ferrari and Pennzoil UltraTM and we know for sure that the testing and engineering done with the oil not only cleans and protects our engines, but that it also meets Ferrari’s very, very high standards.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Wonder if this is on SPEED?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Road Atlanta is one of the favorite tracks for Risi Competizione and our drivers. Favorites tend to be ones you've had success at, and this is no exception. It's a fast layout with a variety of different types of corners, is technically challenging for both drivers and engineers, and very satisfying when you get it right.

The requirements to go fast at Road Atlanta are always the same. You need a good platform for the high speed corners - Turn 1, the Esses and Turn 12. You can gain a significant amount of time using the apex curbs effectively at Turn 3 and the exit curbs of Turn 5. There's some real curb jumping at Turn 3; it's a good corner for photos. The curbs at Turns 7 and 10 also yield lap time. However, as much as you need the curbs for a quick lap time, you have to exercise caution as using them repeatedly here can lead to failed drive components. It's a long race and you need to be somewhat kind to the car. Top speed is very important as there are few places to pass.

Setup:

Stiffer (springs and anti-roll bars) is better for platform support but curbing is so important here, it's a compromise. A stiff setup also makes cleaning the pick-up off the tires easier as you can load the tires harder. With such a big field, the number of times that a GT car may have to go off the racing line, and therefore experience pick-up, will be increased. Dampers that give support, but blow off on the curbs, can make a big difference here, not just in lap time but longevity of drive train components. You need dampers that provide good transitional support if you don't run stiff. Top speed and down force level will be based on peer group strait speeds. Greater overall down force is the quicker way around the track and better for tire life, but you can't let the competition drive around you on the strait. Passing will be difficult, especially in GT2 which boasts the largest field of the year, and of the race - 17 cars. The best passing spot will be braking into Turn 10. However, if you can't keep up on the strait you won't be in position to out brake someone into Turn 10. The track isn't particularly hard on brakes, but you need the brakes to last the 340+ laps that the GT2 cars will run in the race.

The Race:

This race has always been a lap race (except for last year's curtailed rain out) even though there's a time limit of 10 hours. 394 laps for the leader makes the 1000 miles, or a little less than 900 miles for the lead GT2 car. This makes pit strategy a bit different as it's not the GT2 lap count that determines when the race ends but the pace of the overall leader. It means that we have to keep a more careful watch than ever on what's happening all through the field.

Qualifying isn't as important at these long races as our usual 2h 45 minute events, but keeping up in the lead pack will always be vital due to the level of competition. The current caution rules should keep the GT2 front runners on the same lap, unless you have an extended stay in the pits.

Traffic will play a bigger role this year. The drivers will have their work cut out for them with a 17 car GT2 field, plus one Porsche GT2 Hybrid, and for Petit we'll have more aggressive LMPs as that field has grown substantially for this race. Keeping out of trouble will be more difficult than past years, and even more crucial for success.

The Risi Ferrari has fared well at Petit the last two years, and with two very competitive cars this year our chances have doubled. Let's just hope our run of luck continues and we can make it a three-peat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Wonder if this is on SPEED?
    yeah i think it is Lou i know it starts other here at 16.00 or 16.05 live on motors tv. i look at SPEED listings......

Lou, 11a.m ET live on SPEED my friend

French diesels looking strong for today's qualifying
    2010-10-01

Peugeot’s two diesel-powered 908 HDi prototypes kept up the pace at Road Atlanta with the fastest two times in Friday morning’s official practice for Petit Le Mans powered by MAZDA 2. Pedro Lamy’s best lap of 1:07.723 (135.021 mph) was 0.487 seconds better than Anthony Davidson in the second Peugeot.

The French manufacturer is the defending champion at Petit Le Mans. It will tackle fellow diesel power Audi for the third straight year at Road Atlanta. The best of the Audi R15 TDIs was the car of Dindo Capello at 1:09.852. The car crashed with damage to the left-front section of the car. It damage did appear limited to just the bodywork, however.

There is plenty of time for repair with qualifying set for 3:15 p.m. ET.

Muscle Milk Team CytoSport’s Klaus Graf went quickest in LMP2 in the team’s Porsche RS Spyder. His best time of 1:10.481 was a scant 0.579 seconds better than Dyson Racing’s Guy Smith in his Mazda-powered Lola B09/86 coupe. Patrón Highcroft Racing’s David Brabham was 1.5 seconds back in the LMP championship leading HPD ARX-01c.

Corvette Racing’s Jan Magnussen was the fastest GT2 driver with a lap of 1:19.498 in the first of the team’s Corvette C6.R. Gimmi Bruni, driving the first of Risi Competizione’s Ferrari F430 GTs, was second at 1:19.808. BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team’s Joey Hand was just 0.06 seconds behind Bruni in one of the team’s two BMW M3 GTs.

Luis Diaz was the fastest LMP Challenge driver for PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports with a lap of 1:15.517, good enough for a 0.669-second gap to Kyle Marcelli from Intersport Racing. Christophe Bouchut from Level 5 Motorsports was less than 0.01 seconds behind Marcelli.

In GT Challenge, Jeroen Bleekemolen set the pace for Black Swan Racing with a lap of 1:25.369 in his Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car. He was 0.119 seconds better than Magnus Racing’s Andrew Davis. Velox Motorsports’ Shane Lewis was 0.3 seconds further adrift.

here few pictures from night practice last night, this first pic is my fav, look at the exhaust flames

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Lou, 11a.m ET live on SPEED my friend
    Thanks, amico mio!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Thanks, amico mio!

good race so far. Salo second behind Oli Gavin, atmo safety car. you watch race Lou??

good race so far. Salo second behind Oli Gavin, atmo safety car. you watch race Lou??
    I'm at work, amico mio

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I'm at work, amico mio
    check out www.radiolemans.com they have the commentry, i have that going atmo with live timing from www.americanlemans.com

oli gavin leading Salo who is 4 seconds back in GT2 and overall Ant Davidson leading in Peugeot and Dindo 2nd.
    Last edited by Rob; 2nd October 2010 at 18:55. Reason: miss read the time screen

check out www.radiolemans.com they have the commentry, i have that going atmo with live timing from www.americanlemans.com
    Thanks mate

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Thanks mate
    no probs mate

on alms website go to racehub and then timing and scoring.

no probs mate

Clicked, but it isn't connecting

That's OK, Le Mans is confusing enough to watch--I imagine listening would be a nightmare

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Clicked, but it isn't connecting

That's OK, Le Mans is confusing enough to watch--I imagine listening would be a nightmare
    see if there is highlights on SPEED later for you Lou

see if there is highlights on SPEED later for you Lou

Grazie, fratello

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

SPEED website just had few problems. Will try bit later.

Watching it now,
    If it finishes this way, Ferrari wins the "WCC"

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Watching it now,
    If it finishes this way, Ferrari wins the "WCC"
    Unbelievable finish to the race! Such a shame to see the Risi Competizione Ferrari ground to a halt like that on the final lap due to lack of fuel, just another few drops would've done it I suppose! Stupid Corvette takes the win and BMW takes the Constructors. Really annoying!

The future is RED

Carp. Carp, Carp.

I hate it when Ferrai loses--especially this way. The McLaren of 2010 Petit Le Mans

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Risi Competizione today experienced the true roller-coaster of emotions that motor sport so often brings to its participants around the globe.

A GT2 race victory at the ALMS season finale, the 1000 Mile Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta, and a chance to clinch the ALMS Manufacturers’ title for Ferrari, were looking assured for the Houston-based team whose two cars had both been in contention at differing stages throughout the hard-fought 9 hour 10 minute race.

Both the win and the title were, however, cruelly snatched away when Toni Vilander’s No. 62 F430 GTC spluttered to a halt out of fuel just half a lap away from the checkered flag. The class win was taken by the No. 4 Corvette C6.R of Gavin-Magnussen-Collard, with Vilander and his team mate, Gianmaria Bruni, ultimately classified third behind the Extreme Speed Ferrari of Sharp-van Overbeek-Farnbacher. The Manufacturers’ title went to BMW, with BMW Rahal Letterman also claiming the Teams’ Championship.

The No. 61 Ferrari of Jaime Melo, Mika Salo and Giancarlo Fisichella had its own highs and lows in this dramatic, caution-filled race. Delays in the pits unfortunately put paid to any chance of victory, despite stellar stints at the head of the GT2 class by all three drivers. They finished in 7th place.

Risi Competizione’s Team Principal, Giuseppe Risi, was fulsome in his praise for all five drivers, despite the crushing disappointment of the final outcome: “I’m a bit lost for words at the moment, to be honest. It’s desperately disappointing on so many levels, and this is going to hurt for some time to come.

“We had the two fastest GT cars out there today, and all the drivers overcame everything thrown at them to keep us in contention from start to finish. Giancarlo drove superbly each time he was in the car, and for Gimmi and Toni do the entire race on their own just shows the extremely high level of fitness they have.

“We had some bad luck, made some errors of our own, but bounced back each time. We couldn’t have been closer to the win than we were, and to have lost it by what amounts to just a few litres of fuel is a hard pill to swallow. However, many congratulations to Corvette who pushed and challenged us right to the very end, and to BMW for winning the championships.”

Today’s results mean that Risi Competizione take third place in the Teams’ and Manufacturers’ Championships while Gianmaria Bruni secures second in the Drivers’ title chase behind winners Patrick Long and Jorg Bergmeister.

The prestigious Petit Le Mans event, which was also the second round of the ACO’s new Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, was chalked up to be the swansong for the highly successful Ferrari F430 GTC. The Italian marque’s new GT challenger, the Ferrari 458 is currently being developed and is expected to be launched over the coming months. Today’s results mean that Ferrari retains its lead in the LM GT2 Constructors classification, while Risi Ferrari now leads the GT2 Teams points table.

Although yesterday’s magnificent Ferrari 1-2-3-4 in GT qualifying , led by the two Rosso Red Risi Competizione cars, was not to be repeated today, the sight and sound of the Ferrari 430 – together with its many, many successes in North America since its debut in March 2006 – will be remembered fondly for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    Unbelievable finish to the race! Such a shame to see the Risi Competizione Ferrari ground to a halt like that on the final lap due to lack of fuel, just another few drops would've done it I suppose! Stupid Corvette takes the win and BMW takes the Constructors. Really annoying!
    was cracking race. As usual the GT2 battle was on going for 9 hrs. Was looking really good, i was so so excited, then..... heart break!!!! felt sick, well still do. Melo&co all drove fantasticly.

heres some pictures from the race..

**message removed**

REDARMYSOJA
    Last edited by REDARMYSOJA; 8th July 2011 at 03:39.