Thread: Ferrari on pole in GTE Pro&6hrs Estoril

Ferrari on pole in GTE Pro&6hrs Estoril

i post up news from tomorrows race in this thread. The race isnt on TV or live streaing but there will be live commentry.

2011/09/24 14:02
    Ferrari on pole in GTE Pro and Porsche quickest in GTE Am

The Ferrari-Porsche duel again fulfilled its promise in qualifying for the Estoril 6 Hours. Nicolas Armindo in the IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche 997 quickly set pole in LM GTE Am, while in LM GTE Pro the battle for first place was more hotly disputed.

In LM GTE Am, Nicolas Armindo set a target time with a lap in 1m 40.014. The best Marco Cioci in the AF Corse Ferrari F430 GT could do was 1m 40.558s, so the Frenchman added another pole to his tally this season.

Marco Holzer in the Prospeed Competition Porsche set the pace early on in LM GTE Pro along with Richard Leitz in the Felbermayr-Proton team's 997. With a lap in 1m 39.374s the Austrian held pole for most of the session – until the Ferrari 458 Italias woke up!

Rob Bell got close to Lietz's time with a lap in 1m 39.469s and then beat it with a flyer in 1m 39.176s. Joining him on the front row will be Gianmaria Bruni who hustled his AF Corse 458 Italia round the Estoril circuit in 1m 39.356s.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

2011/09/24 16:15Rebellion Racing ekes out an advantage in qualifying for the Estoril 6 Hours

In the categories in which titles have not yet been awarded qualifying for the Estoril 6 Hours provided some pointers, and an answer. In LM P2 Greaves Motorsport clinched the title thanks to pole. Rebellion Racing increased its lead in the LM P1 teams' classification like IMSA Performance in LM GTE Am. Neil Garner Motorsport think of class podium. First pole of the season for JMW Motorsport.

Rebellion Racing increases its lead

The drivers who left it late to qualify for the Estoril 6 Hours made the right choice. The blue sky with a few clouds meant there was no threat of rain. Neel Jani and Rebellion Racing used this ploy to take pole in LM P1. Julien Jousse in the Pescarolo team's Pescarolo-Judd was quickest until Jani got round in 1m 30.118s beating the Frenchman's 1m 30.317s. This result has given Rebellion Racing a 3-point lead in the LM P1 teams' classification, but the Pescarolo trio is still in front in the drivers' ratings. The Swiss team has two cars, which could prove a decisive advantage in the race.

Greaves Motorsport clinches the title in LM P2!

The British team needed only 1 point to clinch the teams' and drivers' titles in LM P2. Tom Kimber-Smith did the job in qualifying. Early on, the quickest was Mathias Beche in the TDS Racing Oreca 03-Nissan in 1m 32.347s who was beaten by Danny Watts in the Strakka Racing HPD-ARX O1d who lapped in 1m 32.072s. Kimber-Smith put the issue beyond doubt with a lap in 1m 31.888s, which he improved to 1m 31.800s. Tomorrow, Greaves Motorsport will be able to race without pressure and conclude its excellent 2011 season (3 victories in 4 races plus a win in the Le Mans 24 Hours) on a high note!

Neil Garner Motorsport fights back

Although Neil Garner Motorsport is in last place of the FLM teams present at Estoril Alex Kapadia bagged pole for the British team so it will finish in the top 3 in the championship. He got round in 1m 36.044s beating Nicolas Marroc in his JMB racing FLM09 whose best was 1m 36.480s. Given the absence of Genoa Racing, Pegasus Racing is assured of the title tomorrow, but the remaining podium places are still up for grabs.

Nicolas Armindo on pole again!

The winner of the 2010 German Porsche Carrera Cup has been the revelation of the season in GTE Am. He scored another pole giving his team, IMSA Matmut Performance, another point in the overall classification. Marco Cioci got round in 1m 40.588s in his AF Corse Ferrari F430 GT, but Armindo went even quicker in his Porsche 997 with a time of 1m 40.014s. Armindo and Narac have set their sights on victory in the Estoril 6 Hours to end their season with a flourish.

Reactions

Neel Jani (no. 12 Rebellion Racing LM P1 Lola-Toyota): “We felt very confident after free practice. We knew that a three-lap series would be enough to do the job; that's why we came out late. I had a clear lap and the car was perfect. Tomorrow's battle looks like being very intense. We'll only think about the strategy for the title in the final hour of the race.”

Tom Kimber-Smith (no. 41 Greaves Motorsport LM P2 Zytek Z11SN-Nissan): “The car was perfectly set up to go for a good time over two flying laps. The point for the pole has clinched the title for us. I'd like to thank the whole team for the great job they've done this year. We have a car that's been absolutely reliable and that's our strength.”

Rob Bell (no. 66 JMW Motorsport Ferrari F458 LM GTE Pro): “We've had a difficult year but we've hung on in there. This pole is a great reward. We did a lot of work on the setup. This result is the combination of a number of favourable factors like the climate, the tyres and my performance.”

Nicolas Armindo (no. 67 IMSA Performance Porsche 997, LM GTE Am): “We've worked hard all season and it's up to us to finish with a flourish tomorrow. The pole's important but it's not a bad thing having several GTE Pros in front of us as we won't get caught up in their scrap. We have to try and avoid getting into trouble. Winning the championship

AF Corse at the start of Estoril, last race of the Le Mans Series, with the titles already won

ESTORIL, September 23rd – In the last race of the Le Mans Series 2011, scheduled at Estoril (Portugal) on Sunday 25th, AF Corse is at the start with the team and drivers titles already in his pocket (both GTE Pro category). The Italian team also helped Ferrari to win the manufactures championship; AF Corse, his drivers and Ferrari won all these titles with a race in advance (at Silverstone, September 11th).

Despite this, real battle will be in the Portuguese event. The car to beat is the Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 driven by the two drivers champions of the Le Mans Series, Giancarlo Fisichella and Gianmaria Bruni: their leadership was clear during the races of the most important continental championship for GT cars and prototypes.

Toni Vilander and Jaime Melo are in battle for the second place in the drivers championship (GTE Pro), with the real chance to catch it. They race on the other Ferrari 458 Italia GT2 lined up by the Italian team.

Piergiuseppe Perazzini, Marco Cioci and Stephane Lemeret are great protagonist of the Le Mans Series 2011 with Ferrari 430 GT2.

Their season is excellent and they are in the second position of the GTE Am drivers standing. They have the ability to put their hands on the GTE Am

Nice.

Is there a series that Ferrari races in, that isn't a several different spec series, and that has other manufacturers?

I mean a non-LeMans type series....one with just sports cars, and with several manufacturers, and professional drivers.

Sorry for the slight OT

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

this is from Silverstone, bit late but been having problems uploading pictures...
    a bella auto rossa

Yessssss. Like that. What is the series called (so that I can look for it)?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Nice.

Is there a series that Ferrari races in, that isn't a several different spec series, and that has other manufacturers?

I mean a non-LeMans type series....one with just sports cars, and with several manufacturers, and professional drivers.

Sorry for the slight OT
    here Lou amico mio..
    http://blancpain-endurance-series.com/

I look up tv listings for U.S see when on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Yessssss. Like that. What is the series called (so that I can look for it)?
    Here in Europe it Le-Mans Series. It is good racing, hasnt got that great TV coverage here, is now and again on Eurosport. ALMS, is also great racing but get better TV coverage as part of the Indy Car weekend. Heres link to Le-Mans series Europe.

http://www.lemans-series.com/

in top left corner click the Union Jack, as site is in French.:)

2011/09/24 18:44Estoril, a circuit steeped in history

Estoril still bears the traces of its past as a Formula 1 circuit. While the top motor racing category has now abandoned the Portuguese track, it hosts many championships. After Portimao in 2009 and 2010, the Le Mans Series decided to pitch its tent at Estoril for the first time and bring its eighth season to a close on this historic track.

When you arrive at the Estoril circuit for the final round of the Le Mans Series, you feel as if you have gone back several years in time, and not just because you can admire the fantastic cars that make up the Classic Endurance Racing field. Estoril will be forever associated with the Portuguese Grand Prix, a round of the Formula 1 World Championship between 1984 and 1996. Its undulating nature and the hills that surround it give the impression of an out-of-the-way place. The sun shines every day and adds a slightly exotic touch to this twisty track.

The main dates are: 1984, first F1 Grand Prix won by Alain Prost who became the record holder of the number of victories in Portugal with Nigel Mansell (3) – 1985 Ayrton Senna's first win in F1 in his Lotus-Renault in the rain – 1989 Mansell's dangerous driving tactics as he reversed in the pit lane and then collided with Senna – 1990 Mansell squeezed Prost against the pit wall dealing the Frenchman's hopes of taking the F1 title with Ferrari a body blow. The last driver to win there in F1 was Jacques Villeneuve in 1996.

Since that era, Estoril has hosted other championships, in particular since 2002 the Portuguese Moto Grand Prix. Private cars and tyre companies also use the track for testing. With the opening of Portimao Estoril is no longer the only destination for racing fans in Portugal. But this part of the country on the Iberian peninsula is a still spot loved by everybody.

Thanks mate!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Alright, thanks 4 the update...

as stand atmo the JMW 458 is leading the GTE Pro from porsche. AF Corse of Vilander and Fisi is 4th in class.

commentry link to the race..
    http://radiolemans.0157.org/nplayer.php

under an hour left. JMW still leading GTE Pro, but the Porsche is catching.

Pescarolo team wins the Estoril 6 Hours

By Series Update ⋅ September 26, 2011

After a thrilling Estoril 6-Hour race the Pescarolo team was able to savour its second victory of the season. Rebellion Racing won the teams’ title in LM P1 in the Le Mans Series, and Julien Jousse and Emmanuel Collard bagged the drivers’ crown. TDS Racing came first in LM P2, Pegasus Racing in FLM, JMW Motorsport in LM GTE Pro and IMSA Performance in LM GTE Am.

LM P1: the Pescarolo team on top after a nail-biting race

The start of the Estoril 6 Hours was given in blazing sunshine. The no. 12 Rebellion Racing Lola-Toyota in the hands of Neel Jani shot into the lead. He was quickly joined by his sister car driven by Andrea Belicchi who got the better of Julien Jousse in the Pescarolo-Judd. Unfortunately, trouble struck the Swiss team early on as the leader, Jani, had to pit because of a gearbox problem. The car was immobilized for an hour before rejoining driven by Nicolas Prost who set a string of lap records.

The no. 13 Lola-Toyota and the no. 16 Pescarolo-Judd passed and repassed each other no matter who was at the wheel, both on the track and as pit stops intervened. With 5h 25m racing gone neither car had run into trouble when the final refuelling stop intervened, and they were separated by only 2 seconds with Jousse just ahead of Boullion. But Belicchi had felt sick in the car earlier on and this had messed up the team’s tyre strategy, and the car went out very early on new rubber. The result was that Boullion was slowed by excessive wear in his final stint, and despite his determination there was nothing he could do about Jousse.

Thus, the Pescarolo team won the Estoril 6 hours, their second victory of the season after Le Castellet. It was a tactical success that was also down to the speed of its two drivers, as Christophe Tinseau did not get behind the wheel in this flat out 6-hour sprint! This victory gave Collard and Jousse the drivers’ title – to which Tinseau should be associated. Rebellion Racing won the teams’ title thanks to the fact that both cars finished.

LM P2: TDS Racing’s last-gasp win

The LM P2 battle started with a long duel between the Strakka Racing HPD ARX-01d driven by Johnny Kane and Olivier Lombard in the Greaves Motorsport Zytek Z11SN6-Nissan. The young Frenchman took the lead but the Oreca 03s soon began their race-long domination of the category as their rivals ran into problems. The Zytek had to have a bonnet change, and the no. 39 Pecom Racing Lola overheated while the HPD’s oil pump had to be changed. Boutsen Energy Racing and TDS Racing led the category for a long time showing bullet-proof reliability. The Greaves Motorsport Zytek put in a string of quick laps but was unable to pose a serious threat to the Oreca 03-Nissans. And then on the last lap came drama as the Boutsen Energy car crashed handing victory to TDS Racing, which scored its second LM P2 win after Spa.
    Greaves Motorsport had already won the teams’ and drivers’ titles before the race even started thanks to its pole on Saturday, and today the British team saw the flag in second place.

FLM: Pegasus Racing, the cherry on the cake!

Pegasus Racing, which has had an incredible season, and had already won the drivers’ title, quickly went into the lead in Formula Le Mans and pulled inexorably away from its rivals. Julien Schell, Patrick Simon and Mirco Schultis all helped open up the gap. Neil Garner Motorsport lost a lot of time in the pits due to an alternator problem, and JMB Racing had to change the front bonnet on their car. Even without those glitches Pegasus Racing was head and shoulders above its rivals in Portugal. The Team from Strasbourg scored its fourth win of the season and the teams’ and drivers’ titles in FLM.

LM GTE Pro: JMW Motorsport by a whisker!

In LM GTE Pro, Rob Bell’s and James Walker’s Ferrari F458 Italia led the category for a long time and eked out a small gap over its rivals. The Felbermayr-Proton team’s Porsche 997 upped the pace after half distance and took first place. With 2 hours to go to the finish Marc Lieb was less than 3 seconds ahead of James Walker. The two cars were running nose to tail till the fourth stop. Rob Bell got back in and opened up the gap again over Richard Lietz who was not giving up, and had the British driver in his sights during the final hour of the race. The seconds passed and the two cars were glued together – they crossed the finishing line separated by only 2/10s with victory going to the JMW Motorsport Ferrari by a whisker!

LM GTE Am: IMSA Performance Matmut ends its season on a high note

Nicolas Armindo made a cautious start as his intention was to finish the race above all else. He kept his promise with a victory to boot for himself and Raymond Narac giving them the LM GTE Championship titles. For a long time the Ferrari F430 of Marco Cioci and Stéphane Lemeret led the category until he suffered a puncture, which necessitated repairs to the front bodywork. The IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche hit the front and was never headed. This victory gave Narac and Armindo the teams’ and drivers’ titles to round off a superb season for the Rouen-based team.

Michelin Green X Challenge

The no. 42 Strakka Racing won the Michelin Green X Challenge awarded to the car having the best energy performance ratio. The no. 16 Pescarolo?Judd won the overall classification.

Reactions

Henri Pescarolo (Pescarolo team, LM P1 winner): “It’s been a very good season for us that started and ended with a victory. It’s been all the better as we were up against a very tough rival, Rebellion Racing, a good team with a good engine and very good drivers. We lost the teams’ title by very little and we had only one car against their two. I feel sorry for Christophe Tinseau as I’d have liked him to be part of this victory but the duel was too close to risk another driver change.”

Julien Jousse (Pescarolo team, LM P1 winner): “The end of the race was difficult with worn tyres and the traffic. But in my last stint when I knew I was staying in the car and with new tyres I knew I could push and that Jean-Christophe Boullion was on worn rubber. It was a really great race and the drivers’ title is a fantastic reward.”

Jean-Christophe Boullion (Rebellion Racing, 2nd LM P1): “I’d really like to congratulate the Pescarolo team, which has had an unbelievable year. We had a season?long battle and we too have reaped our reward with the teams’ title. I was unable to fight back at the end because I was on worn tyres. I was waiting for Julien to make a mistake – but he didn’t!”

Jody Firth (TDS Racing, winner in LM P2, 3rd overall): “I’d like to congratulate the whole team who’ve done a great job and never gave up. It was very tough at the end with the traffic and tyre wear, which I had to nurse. We made a few mistakes but we brought the car home. It’s great to finish the season like this.”

Patrick Simon (Pegasus Racing, FLM winner): It’s incredible! It’s a fitting end to a great season. We did the hardest bit at Silverstone and here we end with a victory. Simply fantastic.”

Rob Bell (JMW Motorsport, LM GTE Pro winner): “What an end to the race! It’s marvellous. The Team Felbermayr Porsche kept up the pressure on us throughout the whole event. The outcome hung on a thread! The final pit stop was the quickest I’ve ever seen. My thanks to Dunlop who gave us great tyres for the race and we only had to do four pits stops.”

Nicolas Armindo (IMSA Performance Matmut, winner LM GTE Am): “The aim was to finish the race and avoid any incidents. We did it but it wasn’t all that easy. Above all, I wanted to save fuel and tyres but it wasn’t very simple in the traffic. Winning in my first season in the Le Mans Series is fantastic. The team gave me a huge amount of help as it was all new to me!”

http://www.planetlemans.com/2011/09/...toril-6-hours/

was listening to race yesterday, after the GP. The JMW 458 was at points 20-30 seconds. Then in last couple hours Porsche just got closer and closer. The last lap was intense. And to win by less by half second. Great race, only wished there was live stream or on TV. The AF Corse 458 of Vilander and Fisi came through to field to finish 4th.

Yay...Its great to know that at some point in time, in the world, a Ferrari is winning..