Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Dan Wheldon

RIP Dan Wheldon

He was always one of my favorite drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    He was always one of my favorite drivers.
    This is just aweful news, RIP Dan my thoughts are with his family.
    Last edited by Sianellen; 16th October 2011 at 22:23.

This is utterly awful and shocking news made even worse by the fact that this car design was to be scrapped next year in favour of a safer one.

Horrible news, tragic. RIP Dan, you will be sorely missed.

Wheldon loses his life in Las Vegas indy

15 car accident claims the life of Dan Wheldon... God rest his soul :(

RIP
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

RIP Dan

That was a terrible accident to watch, he was catapulted some 10-20 feet in the air by the looks of it before flipping and hitting the guardrail.... just terrible :(
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    That was a terrible accident to watch, he was catapulted some 10-20 feet in the air by the looks of it before flipping and hitting the guardrail.... just terrible :(
    Really shocking accident :(

that one was actually worse than the messy wet belgiam of F1, the way the cars are flying up in the air and on fire, i can't think of a worse scene, really only seen stuff like this on video game racing.

One of my fav drivers of indy series. which now you gotta wonder about it's survival, with that being Patrick's last race for indy, and for a while she was the only one bringing the cash in for the series. Even with safer cars next season, Dan was one of the top drivers, fans are just gutted.

PS a bad scene weekend in motorsports in general, this accident with a death at indy usa, seeing jorge lorenzo with half a finger missing. just gruesome.

T
    he art isn't in never falling but in always getting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The roll hoop was completely off his car, hence, no head protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    The roll hoop was completely off his car, hence, no head protection.
    There is a photo of his car after coming to a rest and you can see a big black mark on the front of his helmet.

Those cars are just too fast for tracks like that.

There is a photo of his car after coming to a rest and you can see a big black mark on the front of his helmet.

Those cars are just too fast for tracks like that.
    you are right on the mark! there will always be very limited safety whenever you race oval with open cockpits, but some tracks are just too much, nascar would work fine there, cause in nascar you can rub wheels, they can't expect open wheel racin cars to have wheel to wheel at such place where high speed and confined space go hand to hand.

Like the race in Imola 94, this race also had the drivers nervous about it after the first practice took place, if only they would go more times with their instincts, and not always follow what those who are going to be outside the cockpit says, we will have less and less fatal accidents like this all over the world.

T

Another sad story today is that Greg Moore's father was at the race today. It was the first race he had been to since his son's death. One can only imagine what he was going through during all that and even still right now.

Another sad story today is that Greg Moore's father was at the race today. It was the first race he had been to since his son's death. One can only imagine what he was going through during all that and even still right now.
    Man... the let down he must have felt.

my fav sport is football (soccer in usa) i am a fanatic, but there's that different thing about racing cars... it's that in football your team loses an important championship, but that's the worse that can happen, there can always be tomorrow, and if your team is a decent one, most of the time it's celebrating a win.

Motorsport is just so messed up in this way, I will never be more sad and devastated over something in sports like when Senna died, I will never run through fear in sports as i did when Massa was put into induced comma. That's the thing about motorsports, in football you can loose and come back next year, that's the worse, you can keep coming back, but in races, you can start it alive and end up dead.

That's why little dummies like piquet, hamilton gets on my nerves sometimes, crashes are the way racing drivers dies on track, why would you drive in such careless way, and in some occasions (piquet singapure, hamilton monaco), simply driving to provoke crashes.

T

Dammit.

"Right now I'm numb and speechless. One minute you're joking around in driver intros and the next he's gone." - Dario Franchitti

Rest in Peace, Dan.
    Last edited by killer; 17th October 2011 at 06:49.

RIP Dan Wheldon

Very sad news to hear of the passing of Dan Wheldon at the Indy Car event in Las Vegas today.

It was an horrific crash and makes you realize how dangerous open wheel racing at these speeds really is.

Thoughts are with his family.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOrncu75hKY
    Last edited by NJB13; 17th October 2011 at 07:43.

RIP Dan Wheldon

Open wheel racing + oval track = recipe for disaster.

Crazy crazy accident. Silly silly unsafe series
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

I just found out since i missed the race last night- now i'm thinking its better i missed it. People tend to forget motor-racing is still dangerous, and maybe those F1- fans who still think dangerous driving is a good thing will come to their senses now...R.I.P. Dan Wheldon, my thoughts go out to his family, wife and children who were at the track watching.

oh bloody terrible news. First i knew was Tobes text me. Sad news, rest in peace Dan

Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends. Sorry.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Shocking news. Sad sad day for motorsport.

It's simply unacceptable, that even in 2011, people can lose their lives in a sport. Something has to be done to stop this!

Open wheeled single seaters, racing 4 abreast, at more than 220mph on a 1.5 mile track just sounds ridiculous in this day of Health and Safety.

Just like Ayrton Senna's death was a terrible example and a lesson for Formula 1, I hope and pray that Wheldon's death will set a similar legacy for Indycar, and in fact all other forms of motorsport.

It's even worse to think that apparently he was one of the development drivers for next year's Indycars, which are meant to be safer.

The world is not a fair place. I know what it's like to lose a close one so unexpectedly, at a young age.

RIP Dan, and my heart goes out to his family. Hope they can find peace.

The future is RED

RIP Dan
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    agreed. It actually made me angry to see that. totally avoidable waste of human life

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

R.I.P two-time Indy500 winner Dan Wheldon :(

Quote Originally Posted by dfunk257 View Post
    it is, safe series. It doesnt look like it, but it is. Freak accident, his car as i understand it barrel rolled few times and hit the fence cockpit first. Watched it earlier, i cannt watch it again. Be missed, great racer and nice guy. Terrible.

@Redarmy, cannt believe Greg Moores had was there. Hate to think what he thought.So sad.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Shocking news. RIP Dan-----so sorry for his family

Forza Jules

RIP Dan Wheldon

i saw some coverage of the crash, it looked awful. this was meant to be his last race for this team aswell, and $5million contender. this is so sad
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 17th October 2011 at 11:48.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

motor racing has lost another big driver RIP :(

RIP Dan Wheldon
    Forza Ferrari!
    CHELSEA FC 2009-2010 & 2014-2015 CHAMPIONS !
    "I am so proud about the people around who support me more than ever, more than 100 percent, much more than I expected" Go Felipe !

Pwoua.....speechless!!!

Rest in piece Dan

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

Rest in peace, Dan. Thanks for the many hours of pleasure your racing has given to your fans. Thoughts and prayers with your family, friends and colleagues.
    yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today is a gift
    that's why its called the present