Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 6186111136147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161
Results 4,801 to 4,822 of 4822

Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by giodap View Post
    ferrari will be much closer to red bull next year. we were 4th best this year because we were too radical. ferrari had a bit of a "punt" with this years car. next year i think ferrari will roll up with less agressive side pods so we can develop that area through to the diffuser and exhausts a bit more like red bull were able to do. the front suspension will be copied by other teams, this was a good move by ferrari... remember, we dont need the out right fastest car, we need a car thats close to the front and bullet proof. alonso will handle the rest
    Well said, but we have a lot to do, its only 12 weeks then it starts all over again.

Time to sign off this car.

AMuS has a gallery of every the updates Ferrari brought in the last few races. It is a brilliant feature, with a video, which along with the pics is from Giorgio Piola.

Google Translate version of the article:
    With an extensive engineering offensive tried rowing in the final sprint of the Ferrari Formula 1 season, things around again. In our exclusive animation we will show you the latest aerodynamic changes on the F2012 for the race in Austin and Sao Paulo.
    Fernando Alonso brought it to the grand finale in Brazil to the point: "Our car was just too slow in this season." With McLaren and Red Bull could keep the red cars only when the competition was making mistakes or the conditions were exceptional. Especially in qualifying saw Alonso and team-mate Massa, no country.

You can not blame Ferrari that the updates have not fired as desired. That the engineers have not tried everything, can not be said. By the end of the season the F2012 has been improved in detail. Before the overseas trips to Korea and Abu Dhabi and Austin and Sao Paulo were each still an aerodynamic test in Spanish Idiada completed.

Ferrari updates not good enough
    At the end all the effort availed nothing is known. Three points were missing in one of the most exciting finals Alonso ever. The recent improvements, the red goddess brought indeed a step forward, but he was not good enough. Repeatedly wrangled the engineers that the data from the wind tunnel can not be reproduced by the wayside.

As you can see in the exclusive animation of our technical experts, tried out a lot of Ferrari. The air duct in the rear has been changed several times in the last races. The rear wing, there were two new models. In the video you can see all the updates in detail. The Commentary on the changes we have, as always, once again also in the gallery.
    Endplates:

Front Wing:

Rear:

(wonder what the silver 'pipe/rod' is for?)

Rear Wing Fins:

Rear Wing:

Most Interestingly, the diffuser:

These pics are amazing, and it shows that Ferrari developed the diffuser quite aggressively. But it shows that they just couldn't get the rear wing right this year. I don't know about you guys, but I never saw the second to last diffuser raced. It looks quite interesting.

Source: AMuS, Giorgio Piola. (Link includes Vid.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

No accurate data from wind tunnel, blind developing process.
    How did they do with their cars ?
    How did we do and how will we do with our cars ?

Any news on when will be the wind tunnel be closed..
    hope they repair it asap..dont want to see a repeat of the updates problem next year..
    I Will End My Career At Ferrari...

Does anyone know if the strange frontnose which was used by Ferrari will stay in 2013? In the beginning i thought it looked awfull but now i actually like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    Any news on when will be the wind tunnel be closed..
    hope they repair it asap..dont want to see a repeat of the updates problem next year..
    Isn't it closed already?

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    Does anyone know if the strange frontnose which was used by Ferrari will stay in 2013? In the beginning i thought it looked awfull but now i actually like it very much.
    all teams will be allowed new 'panels' to be put on the step noses, and they will use them as they will reduce drag.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Thanks scuderiafan for the information

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    Isn't it closed already?
    can you provide some additional info on it..plz..

I think it closed last month, and be shut for couple years.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    can you provide some additional info on it..plz..

Ferrari is aiming to upgrade its wind tunnel to make it "state of the art" after a series of correlation issues have hampered progress this season.

Ferrari has been using Toyota's wind tunnel to help develop the car after data from its own facility did not match the car's performance on the track. The team has decided to close the wind tunnel to improve it and when it reopens chief designer Nikolas Tombazis is confident it will be one of the best in Formula One.

"We have taken the decision to make some significant modifications to our tunnel to upgrade it and bring it to the point where it is state of the art," he said. "Compared to those of some our opponents, ours is older and therefore in some areas it is not operating at the highest level. The work will involve temporarily closing our wind tunnel here in Maranello and during this period of several months, we will use an external wind tunnel, so that our development programme can continue without interruption, until ours is suitably updated.

"In an ideal world, if one has a wind tunnel that gives you all the results you need, then having just one tunnel is much simpler than using two. However, when, as is the case with us, we have had some doubts about the data from our facility, it will be useful to see what we find out by using another tunnel, to compare the results."

Tombazis said there are a number of reasons why the wind tunnel might not be working properly.

"It can come from a problem of scale, because the model used in the tunnel is much smaller than the real car and it can come from the fact that the wind in a tunnel is different to running the car in the open air and the way the air flows over the car can also be a factor. The way aerodynamics works on a modern F1 car is hyper-complicated, based on the interaction of various components and very small details, therefore it is easy to make a mistake. Correlation cannot be seen in black and white terms and you cannot expect a wind tunnel to deliver perfect results in all areas. We have had problems in some areas, but that does not mean that all our work in the wind tunnel has been worthless."

So now we have a clear answer. The windtunnel is closed

Are you sure its closed for years..I quite remember Stefano saying they will close it only for a few months for repairing..

Yes that's what i heard as well. They only close it to solve the problems and after that it will be opened again.

Yep, they are supposed to close it for awhile for the repair work

The thing is, the 2013 project has started several months ago, but of course we don't know if they have run any wind tunnel simulation for the new car. Lets just hope it wasn't affected.

3 years were the rumours of them building a brand new wind tunnel.

That's a looong time. I hope the problems will be solved in shorter then 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Yep, they are supposed to close it for awhile for the repair work

The thing is, the 2013 project has started several months ago, but of course we don't know if they have run any wind tunnel simulation for the new car. Lets just hope it wasn't affected.
    I think, it is all happening at the Toyota tunnel, dont think none of the new car has been done at the old 1.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    all teams will be allowed new 'panels' to be put on the step noses, and they will use them as they will reduce drag.
    I dont get this? The rules say the nose has to be so many whatever..so what does
    putting on panels do to that rule? Why not just make a new nose?
    Someone enlighten me here....

I understand they're building a brand new one or changing a big chunk of existing one so its not expected to be finished before 2015...We are "stuck" with Toyota tunnel until then which is good cos no more excuses of faulty tunnel-data...except that they are interpreting those data wrong...
    Last edited by medeni73; 4th December 2012 at 06:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I dont get this? The rules say the nose has to be so many whatever..so what does
    putting on panels do to that rule? Why not just make a new nose?
    Someone enlighten me here....
    Rules stay the same: those panels will be non-structural and If you want this panel you must lower your chassis few cm so I dont know if teams will use it actually cos it wont bring much of aero advantage (Scarbs said negligible effect)