Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

probably 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    probably 3rd
    That's what i thought. 3rd - 5th

I like your Avatar F1NAC :xmasbiggrin:

I bet it will be 02.02.2012 because it is end of my postponement date and maybe they want to create some enigma on date 2.2.2:xmastongue:

From Twitter...

• Apparently, Alonso said after hours in the simulator: "This is another thing," referring to the management of car tires, 2012
    • However, everyone is cautious about the actual performance of the car until proven in court, the virtual data are positive
    • Apart from checking results on the track, it is important that no great difference between the virtual management F150 and 663.
    • Alonso found the car understeers 2012 after correcting for a sudden switch to oversteer, which have almost solved
    • Alonso is delighted with the car's driving position, 2012
    • If you really have improved the management of Pirelli as they seem to verify the simulator, there is hope for a fast car
    • It is surprising that a car was understeering and then oversteer, I guess they are things of a car during assembly, addition, this solution
    • All data are virtual, there is to see if they are confirmed on the track, but with the lack of testing, there is another way of working
    • Byrne has gone from surprise to the irony of the position of driving Alonso "Did you put the seat as part of the flat bottom?"
    • To highlight the increasingly better relationship between Alonso and Pat Fry, speaking at Maranello and its resemblance to that of Schumacher and Ross Brawn

Thats from the joseluis twitter. I wonder who that guy is, and were he gets all those little anecdotes from. Twitter should always be taken with a pinch of salt, but i can't imagine he is making that all up.

To go from over- to understeer like this is the worst that can happen with a racing car, right? So i certainly hope this is either not true, or its only a question of small things which can be corrected. Or it won't happen on track. Please, not another failure.

That's quite interesting. Wasn't there something like how both Alonso and Massa prefer a slightly understeering car?

The future is RED

We will have to wait to see what this new approach and new tehnical personel will bring to the 663 performance. Last year the car had convetional design that was obvious from its presentation onwards. The regulation of fixed weight distribution is the same for 2012 so from all experience they had fin this year I expect some progress in 2012. I will be crucial to gain some more downforce from entire bodywork (not just the from wings) as this will beneficial for tyres and will allow to run more agresive DRS. The redesign of internal engine/electronics/hydraulics componets for aero benefit is also the area where Ferrari can gain some aero points. The cooling vanes need to be more agressive and as small as they can be so there is as little drag as it can be. The suspension will bi pull rod which will allow the narrower rear end and better air flow towards the diffusor and beam wing. Even with the ban of using exhaust for aero benefit must be taken into account so even if F150 didn't make much out of it this system helped a bit and it has transferred the downforce center towards rear end so the new front wings Ferrari introduced durring this season improved the balance so it was more towards centre of the car. With new season this could easy transfer into oversteerif front end will have more grip and the rear downforce lost by ban of ebd won't be gained back by design. I can see some interesting solutions for the exhaust exit as it can still have minimal impact on air flow towards rear wing, the top of diffusor, beam wing or brake duct structure. The noses will have to be lower so the we could see the redesign of front wing endplates structure to channel air flow correctly towards splitter so the floor of the car could produce more downforce. The Pirellis will have new surface structure and compounds will be softer for 2012. The suspension geometry from this year was less agressive so we had problems with hard tyres and the new agressive approach could bring us closer in qualifying. The front tyres can handle more than F150 was able to show as for the rars there must be some caution as we saw that last big development on rear suspension add little traction but tyres were destroyed faster so the benefit of agressive rear suspension can do less good than it's expected.
    The Kers battery location must be reconsidered to maybe put the batteries into left/right below the engine oil tank instead of under the fuel tank or under driver seat. The competition showed that this solution can lower the CofG and create more balanced car.

All in all I can't wait to see what the new 633 will look like. There are all areas that must be improved and some risk must be taken to do two steps more than other teams with its design. If new car will have just a slight bit of potencial I'm sure that our drives and team will make the best use of it.

Even though the team organisation of our team is light years ahead of those from late 80s and early 90s I hope they did some organisational changes to improve the information flow between diffrent departments. The current structure brought us the domination in 2000s but other teams had catch up so Ferrari must improve in this area aswell so the loss of certain engineers wont' have such a big impact. This is one particular area where I see some progress as g. Fry can organise atleast the chassi department in this way. As the inside source (which in not neccesary correct) suggested this is what is happening with help of g. Byrne. I'm glad that Byrne has decided to came back because his experience is value added to the design office. Even though the team organisation of our team is light years ahead of those from late 80s and early 90s I hope they did some organisational changes to improve the information flow between diffrent departments. The current structure brought us the domination in 2000s but other teams had catch up so Ferrari must improve in this area aswell so the loss of certain engineers wont' have such a big impact. This is one particular area where I see some progress as g. Fry can organise atleast the chassi department in this way. As the inside source (which in not neccesary correct) suggested this is what is happening with help of g. Byrne. I'm glad that Byrne has decided to came back because his experience is value added to the design office. Jonathan Heal could be the most important recruit of this year as his expertise on carbon fiber and suspension design is one area where Ferrari needs to make significant progress.

The fact that we finally calibrated the wind tunnel is very encouraging as things can go wrong as we saw in last few seasons when numbers from wind tunnel don't match with those from the track. This will defenitly improve the correlation between wind tunnel - cfd - simulator - track and in these days when testing is limited. From this I expect that the engineers will understand the car more and the setup from simulator will be more accurate so we could have some more time in friday to do some development work and less to find the right balance of the car itself. If the new car will be quick but hard to balance this could save us some troubles and help us get up to speed at race weekends.

The only way to reduce the gap is to be more agressive with design. There is allways a risk that things could go wrong but Ferrari wants winning not more 5th places so this is only way to go. Lets see what 2012 will bring us.

Forza Ferrari !
    Avanti Alonso-Massa !

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    • To highlight the increasingly better relationship between Alonso and Pat Fry, speaking at Maranello and its resemblance to that of Schumacher and Ross Brawn
    This is true.

Fernando Alonso says Ferrari pushing to produce a 'dominant' car for 2012

Fernando Alonso says Ferrari is going all out to produce a 'dominant' Formula 1 car for next year, after praising the determination that he has seen at its Maranello factory this week.

The Spaniard claims that his outfit is eager to enjoy the success that Red Bull Racing has experienced for the last two campaigns, which is why it has been willing to take more risks with the design of its 2012 challenger.

And after seeing the new car in the windtunnel this week, Alonso says he is convinced Ferrari is putting in the effort that will allow it to hit back in style at the start of next season.

"I've seen the car as I've been to Maranello for four days," said Alonso during a Santander press conference in Madrid on Monday. "I've only seen the windtunnel version, but we have to wait.

"At this point of the season we all think we have the best car ahead of next year. We have to wait until February when he put in on the track, to see the results and to see how fast it can go.

"What's clear is that everybody in the team is very, very motivated ahead of next year. There's an urge to gain the ground lost and get the feeling that Red Bull has had for the past two years.

"Tasting wins and championships is something Ferrari is used to doing in the past decade and it's something we want to do again. From the first mechanic to the last designer, I've seen an atmosphere of full focus and a huge desire to get a dominant car.

"So I'm relatively calm and I'm confident that things will go well, because Ferrari has the ability to build a winning car. It's the best team and I think all the necessary details are being looked at so nothing fails."

Alonso thinks that Red Bull Racing will not be able to eke out much more speed from the successor to its brilliant RB7, but feels his team will be able to make much bigger steps for next year.

"I think we are going to go up," he explained. "Red Bull has a car that is very well developed, a very good car. Improving that car is possible, and they will improve it, but they don't have such a big margin to improve, unlike us.

"We had aerodynamic problems when the windtunnel wasn't working well. We had a different philosophy to adapt to the Pirellis, a different philosophy for the suspension and many other things. So we have a big margin to improve.

"So I think they will improve by X per cent, and we are going to improve by X by two, so it's all going to be much closer."

And although the team is pushing hard to give itself a big margin in the championship battle, Alonso thinks that the fight for victories on track in 2012 will be tremendously close.

"We know our rivals will be very strong and whoever wins next year's championship will win it by a tenth or two in the car," he said. "There aren't going to be huge gaps.

"For the car we have taken some measures and used some innovations that probably wouldn't have been used in previous years because of Ferrari's more conservative approach. So all this makes us feel optimistic."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96801

FERRARI F1, BACK TO THE TRADITIONAL SYMBOL

He is already thinking about 2012: McLaren will launch its first car in late January. The Red Bull and the Prancing Horse will unveil in early February. But wait there's the name that will mark a return to the past.

McLaren is already in pole position at the iconic race to see who will present the first new car 2012. The English team will present the new car for Hamilton and Button, the MP4-27 Friday 27 January , ahead of all other sensational F1 team. Many teams have already decided to use it the first week of collective tests to debut On that occasion their new single, forgoing the traditional spectacular presentation usually done to please sponsors and technical partners. Currently there are three test sessions of winter testing: the first of these will be held in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain February 7 to 9, the second in Barcelona February 21 to 24, the third still in Barcelona 1 to March 4. Among those who have unveiled plans to launch the new car is the Sauber , which will launch the new C31 Monday 6 February the eve of the first winter test. The Red Bull should be disclosed in the same day: 5 to 6 February in Milton Keynes. The Mercedes has instead chosen the eve of the second test in Barcelona ( February 21 ) to show the W03 , which will also bring back the AMG logo, initials, more sporty models after the Mercedes DTM race cars also arrives on F1. As for the Ferrari , the Prancing Horse brand, tradition and prestige, has continued in recent years to make a public event in Maranello with guests, drivers and much of live TV channels to show his new car. So what will happen also for what is still known only by the initials of the project (663) and that does not yet know the final name. Probable that after the parenthesis of 150 ° Italy in homage to national unity for a return to traditional expression which provides a number linked to the year , the capacity or the number of cylinders - or both - together with the letter F in the years has often identified the Ferrari F1. Also because the only two occasions in recent years which has abandoned the traditional symbol to honor a particular date (F60 in 2009 for the 60 years of Ferrari in F1 precisely 150 ° and Italy over the past year) the change has bad luck that brought more good fortune. So the new born Horse if he will return to a traditional theme could be called in various ways from F12 or F2012 , or F812. And we will see in early February : probably the third or fourth , then in time to be shipped to Jerez in Spain for the first winter tests by Feb. 7.

http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formul...a+tradizionale

F2012 sounds lovely to me

The F812 would be an interesting name!

The future is RED

I would like F812, there is something in that...
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

Personally want it to be back to F2012, been put off the odd names!
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

F12 sounds tidy :)

I love this ........
    At this point of the season we all think we have the best car ahead of next year.

You just get the feeling from comments like this that the whole team is really functioning well together....
    For the car we have taken some measures and used some innovations that probably wouldn't have been used in previous years because of Ferrari's more conservative approach. So all this makes us feel optimistic.
    No repeat of Spain please

Various twitter/another forums rumors

- Ferrari are working on their new DRS, but their first attempt failed and the second attempt is only in the design phase
    - first data from simulator showed that the new Ferrari is great with new Pirelli tires in terms of race pace, but there are again problems with warming on the first lap
    - after first tests with new Pirelli tires Ferrari needed to redesign front suspension of the car, it's already done
    - Ferrari base are floor and diffuser, both completely new and both designed by Byrne
    - The Ferrari 2012 is innovative and 'risky' in use of new materials
    - Maranello are training their mechanics so that in case of accident they can quickly clog the flat bottom and diffuser of the car

Of course it's all just rumors, so take it easy

they should train the pitcrew too
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    they should train the pitcrew too
    Agrees

Our pit crew are way too inconsistent. Sometimes they are ok, sometimes they are terribly slow.

Ferrari to launch new car on February 3

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/F...y-3,35055.html

F2012 please.

F1-2000
    F2001
    F2002
    F2003-GA
    F2004
    F2005
    248F1
    F2007
    F2008
    F60
    F10
    F150th Italia
    F2012

Vuvuzelaaaa

F12 would be much better than F2012. It's shorter, easier to pronounce, looks better, and sounds mean. The F10 was a decent car, so why not go down that route.

The 2013 model could be called either F13 or F12.1, both are fine.

F2012 for me :) Sounds so sweet :D
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Ah, at least there's something to look forward to in the month of February :xmasbiggrin:
    Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre B View Post
    Ferrari to launch new car on February 3

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/F...y-3,35055.html
    hahaha yeaaaaaah i knew it !! :D like I said :D 3rd Feb.

F12!

It's gonna be called F2012 is my prediction :xmassmile:
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalSon View Post
    It's gonna be called F2012 is my prediction :xmassmile:
    mine too...although F12 sounds good too...just like jet air crafts F16, F18...etc..
    hopefully will be as FAST as a missile...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

F-twentytwleve (pronunciation) would be awesome