Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

I also believe that Ferrari needs to reorganise thier departments to make better correlation between them.

Can anyone list all new people and their expert that we singed recently and from early 2011?
    Last edited by type056; 30th December 2011 at 23:23.

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post
    Can anyone list all new people and their expert that we singed recently and from early 2011?
    List of former McLaren employee's now at Scuderia Ferrari. I believe all of these guys came this year with Martin coming before the start of the 2011 season.

Ioannis Veloudis -- CFD

Giacomo Tortora -- Aerodynamics

Lawrence Hodge -- Aerodynamics

Rupad Darek -- Simulation studies/Aerodynamics

Jonathon Heal -- Composites/stress Engineer

Marcin (Martin) Budkowski --Head of Aero at MaCa

Neil Martin -- Research
    Last edited by TheProdigalSon; 31st December 2011 at 08:06.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalSon View Post
    List of former McLaren employee's now at Scuderia Ferrari. I believe all of these guys came this year with Martin coming before the start of the 2011 season.

Ioannis Veloudis -- CFD

Neil Martin -- Research
    :xmasbiggrin:
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Ioannis Veloudis -- CFD

Neil Martin -- Research
    Thanks mate.
    It seems Ferrari have focused a lot on aerodynamics,our weakest point.

I count 4 of the 6 new people as "Aero" people. That has been the weakest point in the Ferrari Engineering Team. I also think we have seen over the past few years, that CFD design work has not been able to displace intense Aero Design and Study. It seems that many other teams have tried to replace the Windtunnel Aerodynamic Design study work with CFD work, have found out that CFD is NOT a valid replacement solution. Actual Aerodynamic load measurements and Actual Aerodynamic influence studies of the race car modeling are still the best way to advance a race car and find clearer solutions. I think this is also a direct response to the much reduced and limited "On-Track" Testing. These new Aero people and continued build up of the CFD Department can only help Ferrari to speed up the Design and Development process of the race car throughout the entire season. I think Ferrari knows that being the best at the initial Design of the Race Car and then the rapid process of developing and building development parts for the raqce car is more important than ever in Formula One. Years ago, Ferrari were always best at staying ahead of the curve and always maintained their superior edge over the field during the season. They know these need to be at that level again and maintain that edge. Clearly they seek to have a condition where no one person is all important in the success or failure of the team. The Depth of the Ferrari Engineering Group is much deeper now and there seems to be many people available to carry forward if a person seeks a "change of scenery" or is asked to go on to "Gardening Leave".

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Q&A with Truzonef1...

How do you think Ferrari and RedBull recovered by the rule change?
    It is estimated to lose about each: Ferrari (0.3s) RedBull (0.5-0.7s), McLaren (0.7-1s)

I am convinced that in 2012 will recover the downforce of 2011 ...
    I am also convinced, in fact Ferrari simulations make it faster than in 2011
    But keep in mind that the tires will be around 0.4s faster. Nobody cluelessness

gives me the Pirelli in 2012 will not bring the show in 2011
    [The tyres] are faster, but will wear more evenly. So we might not see much yield loss

Taking the data you have, who can count and those who do not; how optimistic are you for 2012?
    moderately optimistic. Logic tells me RB should still be ahead but in less distance you should expect.

But just quicker with the new pirelli, or faster in general.
    Faster without the tyres

Who is TruzoneF1???? How does he / she have insight into Formula One and Ferrari in particular????

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    Who is TruzoneF1???? How does he / she have insight into Formula One and Ferrari in particular????
    He has information about Ferrari. I've only been following him for a few months but he says some very specific things and everything he's said so far has turned out to be correct.

Ioannis Veloudis -- CFD

Neil Martin -- Research
    We have Nick Jefferies (aerodynamics) from Force India who works with us as an aero design consultant. Also Nigel Leaper (composites) came from Lotus-Renault

Virgin chose to rely on the CFD and not invest in a wind tunnel for money. :xmasbiggrin: They sit down, input numbers into computers, take the data and assume that it's correct, and take those updates to the next race. When results don't show, the whole loop starts over again. It's like putting your hand into boiling water and go ouch!, and touch it again and ouch! and again and ouch!. It isn't gonna change no matter how many times they try. Virgin just don't seem to get that the CFD only gets them so far.

Dear Cathay Pacific,

Yes, that is totally correct. I think Nick Wirth was the Engineer that said you don't need a Windtunnel in Formula One to do well. He was proven very wrong. That is why actual on the race track testing is so important as well. Conceptual Fluid Design can only take you so far. As you said, when you put data, in you are limited to that data and it is a bit of a hit and miss situation. Even the slightest variation in error to the data put in can lead you to drasticly different results. It is all a virtual world in CFD and that is a bit of the problem. They need more on-track test days to really understand the behavior of the race car.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

The following are statements made by Stefano Domenicali & Luca di Montezemolo :

Ferrari restructure 'paying off' as team targets fightback in 2012
    By Simon Strang and Edd Straw Sunday, January 1st 2012, 14:06 GMT

Ferrari is confident that the technical restructuring and staff changes it undertook during a disappointing 2011 campaign are now paying off as it strives to get back on terms with chief rivals Red Bull and McLaren this year.

The Scuderia finished a distant third in the constructors' championship and scored just one win - Fernando Alonso's at Silverstone in July. From early on in 2011 it was clear that Ferrari's 150 Italia had been too conservative a design, struggled to warm up the harder compound Pirelli tyres and its development suffered from poor correlation with the team's wind tunnel data.

But Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali says internal restructuring that included the hiring of Pat Fry, who replaced Aldo Costa as technical director last June, resolved a lot of these issues and is now beginning to show results as the team ramps up its assault on 2012.

"When we see the stopwatch at the first qualifying for the first race, then we will know the answer," said Domenicali, "but I see some things that give us optimism that we are doing a reasonable job.

"We try to look ahead and change the organisation in order to make sure in terms of ideas and teamwork in the technical office, the work of the windtunnel and simulation, we are more prepared. I'm optimistic because of this.

"Then, as always, we know that the first result where we compare our job with our main competitors is the first qualifying for the first race. But we are working in the right direction."

In an interview AUTOSPORT conducted with Fry in December, the Englishman himself said that the correlation of data with the windtunnel was improving.

"You are never going to get perfect correlation," said Fry. "It's a constantly evolving thing. But we've learned a lot and we are improving. We are getting better. Even with track testing, you'd want that correlation, but once you can use mathematical modelling to analyse the car and work out what's quicker, that also allows you to make better decisions."

Fry also promised that the design team largely responsible for last year's car had been encouraged to be more adventurous with the 2012 machine.

"The group of engineers will be more creative," said Fry. "They are working a lot better.

"The aero department in particular has been a lot more creative and that's good to see.

Domenicali reckons that regulation stability between 2011 and 2012, should also help Ferrari's recovery. One of the few changes in the rules – the banning of hot-blown diffusers – might play to the team's advantage since it was an area where it struggled both aerodynamically and engine mapping – it's British GP win came when the technology was temporarily banned – compared to Red Bull and McLaren.

"In terms of regulations, what is the difference from last year and the year before? This year, the rules have changed so that the exhaust effect was an area where we were less strong."

Ferrari's president Luca di Montezemolo also thinks the team is now back on the right track.

"We want a competitive car," he said. "I think that Domenicali made some good improvements in the organisation without a revolution. Now we have people in charge of the team answering to Domenicali: Luca Marmorini for the engine, he was born in Ferrari, he went to Toyota for eight years for experience and then he came back. Then we have Pat Fry who is working very well. He is improving the areas in which Ferrari has less experience.

"I don't want a revolution, but I want step by step improvements season after season."

I think Ferrari have revamped the Personnel Profile of the team enough of the Engineering Heads to make a clearly improved process to design and build better race cars to get the best out of the Engineers they have. The overall improvement of the team to reach much further and not settle for short target goals only aids the team to be much further in development of the race car at any given point in a season. Credit to Stefano Domenicali to have the backbone to fire and hire new people to improve the team.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

God (Gordan Murrey) always said his wind tunnel etc was the race track . I dont trust CDF wind tunnels we think that there word is Final. Sauber and Toyota have the Best wind Tunnels and Yet....... Remember Newey is an Areo man thats how he made his Name in the Biz. and we need all these blokes just make up for Newey hahaha says alot about the sport as ahole that not enough is been done to teach fresh blood etc.

some good words. a revolution was never needed as too much change would also have been bad for the team.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

And it's not going to be named after a truck becuase that had some painful irony.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    some good words. a revolution was never needed as too much change would also have been bad for the team.
    Agreed. We've made a lot of positive steps, like significantly growing or aero team added other new skills/people. Brought Rory back in a far more active role. On top of that we are going to be more creative in our thinking and design concepts but back that up with solid number crunching and model testing.

No need for kneejerk reactions. I'm really optimistic about this year.

• Alonso will return shortly to the simulator to continue to adapt the car to his style and try the best in the front suspension / steering
    • Apparently Alonso (and Massa) will have to drive differently to accommodate the new aerodynamics without EBD and get more out of the tires
    • Byrne has been in Maranello today, meeting with Pat Fry, Tombazis, Neil Martin and Domnicalli. Most engineers on vacation.
    • As I say this meeting was not intended, and Byrne did not plan to return to Maranello until mid-January.

http://twitter.com/joseluisf1
    http://twitter.com/Truzonef1

If next season is not going significantly in recent years to better Ferrari, Domenicali will have to leave Ferrari team. Domenicali rumored to receive Ferrari kicks last season, but he was allowed to continue for at least one season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    • Alonso will return shortly to the simulator to continue to adapt the car to his style and try the best in the front suspension / steering
    • Apparently Alonso (and Massa) will have to drive differently to accommodate the new aerodynamics without EBD and get more out of the tires
    • Byrne has been in Maranello today, meeting with Pat Fry, Tombazis, Neil Martin and Domnicalli. Most engineers on vacation.
    • As I say this meeting was not intended, and Byrne did not plan to return to Maranello until mid-January.

http://twitter.com/joseluisf1
    http://twitter.com/Truzonef1
    Now i'm confused!!!Is this good or bad news?I mean this urgent meeting is for good or because we have a problem??

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Now i'm confused!!!Is this good or bad news?I mean this urgent meeting is for good or because we have a problem??
    Apparently from a different source, Byrne called the meeting because he had to make some urgent changes to the bottom of the car.

Got this from the same source on autosport forum who is quoting Truezone:
    "To complement the information from @ Truzonef1, the current flat-bottomed (and diffuser) of the Ferrari 2012 is a true 'state of the art'
    Mentioned in previous tweets that Byrne was working on the changes, and has come up with one of his 'genius' floor designs
    The concept is so 'revolutionary' that affects many other parts, so he has met with everyone to try it as soon as possible
    Once tested in the tunnel, if it works, take a long time to manufacture the new fund and redesign / build the rest of the parts affected
    Since few test and it was thought that there would need to modify the chassis, that is the 'urgency' of the meeting of the top engineering
    If works are ahead of Red Bull?, Patience, and still tried, only the head of Byne;)
    In terms of timing, if it works, will hardly be for the first test because it affects 'long pieces' very slow to make
    But if they tried this in the last test before the first race
    It seems that the 'old' is in shape, made ​​an extraordinary flat bottom, but if it works its new 'idea' RB who will not take 1s to FER
    Do not forget that the flat bottom is not a fixed part of the chassis, so if you do not have to modify the latter, follow the FIA crash
    I have heard that there may be another problem with that new flat bottom, there could be problems with the FIA, decided Domenicali."

These are reliable sources from what a few members have told me from Autosport, if so this sounds very promising and looks like we are definetly on the championship path

Mates,

One of those at work.

Can someone give me a very short summary of the news?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Mates,

One of those at work.

- Rory Byrne, Pat Fry, Tombazis, Neil Martin and Domnicalli had a unexpected/urgent meeting today in Maranello.

- Its in regards to the current flat-bottomed floor (and diffuser) of the Ferrari 2012 which is already described as 'state of the art'

- Byrne was working on further improvements to the floor and has come up with one of his 'genius' floor designs that could indeed put Ferrari ahead of it's competitors

- The concept is so 'revolutionary' that it affects many other parts, so he has met with everyone to get it tested as soon as possible in the windtunnel

- It must be tested quickly to see if there are true benefits because it will require reworking/making new parts which is a long process.

- Possibly the new floor & parts could be ready for the last test before Melbourne if the windtunnel results are successful

Mates,

One of those at work.

If I understood correctly then Rory called for a meeting, because he came up with new genius floor design, but that requires time because we need to change some parts, but it will be ready for last test drives.
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

- Rory Byrne, Pat Fry, Tombazis, Neil Martin and Domnicalli had a unexpected/urgent meeting today in Maranello.

- Its in regards to the current flat-bottomed floor (and diffuser) of the Ferrari 2012 which is already described as 'state of the art'

- Byrne was working on further improvements to the floor and has come up with one of his 'genius' floor designs that could indeed put Ferrari ahead of it's competitors

- The concept is so 'revolutionary' that it affects many other parts, so he has met with everyone to get it tested as soon as possible in the windtunnel

- It must be tested quickly to see if there are true benefits because it will require reworking/making new parts which is a long process.

- Possibly the new floor & parts could be ready for the last test before Melbourne if the windtunnel results are successful

Quote Originally Posted by M.K View Post
    If I understood correctly then Rory called for a meeting, because he came up with new genius floor design, but that requires time because we need to change some parts, but it will be ready for last test drives.

Grazie!!!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

All looking good. If the car is fast during the tests and the Ferrari team are happy with it, they may introduce the new floor at later stage in the season. That way they are always a step ahead. Of course this depends on whether the new floor gives positive results in the wind tunnel etc...

Next year Bryne vs Newey, Bring it on.

Grazie!!!
    Prego

ٌٌWhat is flat bottomed floor?