Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Massa likely to debut new Ferrari at Jerez
    http://www.f1zone.net/news/massa-lik...t-jerez/11388/
    Felipe Massa has been tipped to give Ferrari’s 2012 car its official debut next month.

The first official test of the winter, at Jerez, kicks off on February 7, and Spain’s Marca newspaper said the likely pilot is Brazilian Massa.

On the same day, Mark Webber will reportedly give Red Bull’s championship-defending challenger its debut, before his teammate Sebastian Vettel takes over on the following days.

Ferrari’s plan appears similar, with Marca saying Fernando Alonso is next in line after Massa to drive Maranello’s 2012 single seater at the southern Spanish venue.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Hi all just wanted to help out with the translation of the article, as I often love reading the new developments from this forum. The features which are shown on the car in this article are a list of the changes which are being looked at due to the new regulations and due to some changes which ferrari were already experimenting with last season. By what is written in the article I don't think ferrari will have a stepped nose for example. The article simply exposes some areas of the car which will be modified and applies those changes to last years car, it does not attempt to guess what the new car looks like.
    Thanks man

So basically, its not the new Ferrari, but rather, its just showing the changes due to the new rules?

Exactly it is last years car indicating some known areas that will change, but it is really information we already knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Thanks man

So basically, its not the new Ferrari, but rather, its just showing the changes due to the new rules?

Don't expect to find pictures of new car before presentation. This is just explanation of new rules on F150.

Back to Ferrari 663 project. According to insiders there were still some problems with thier suppliers and because they didn't produce new parts fast enough (I presume that design was late aswell and now they simply work flat out to make them ready) aswell but most parts are already in Maranello. The most important are those of new DRS system.

Byrne also find new solution to more effectively "seal' the flow of air through the diffuser under the floor. They are going to try this 'roughly' designed solution in the CFD to see how many aerodynamic points of donwforce it could bring.

source @JoseLuis
    Last edited by Forza 27; 9th January 2012 at 11:03.

Jose Luis says that according to preliminary CFD simulations, Byrne's new floor gains 8 points of downforce.

Based on this article, 8 points of downforce results in a gain of 0.32 per lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    Jose Luis says that according to preliminary CFD simulations, Byrne's new floor gains 8 points of downforce.

Based on this article, 8 points of downforce results in a gain of 0.32 per lap.

Yeah, not a Ferrari point is not the same as a McLaren point. Each team has its own scale. Still, it has to be a good amount, something worth putting on the car.

Lol this is getting more and more a random post site.

How can this Jose know top secret stuff eh?

Has even one of this rumors ever been proven right?

I might admit it's fun to read but mind you what happend last year...
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Lol this is getting more and more a random post site.

I might admit it's fun to read but mind you what happend last year...
    It could be that it's part of the PR team of the Scuderia. After all, there isn't any crucial info here, just bits and pieces. They've kept the juicy stuff secret.

If it is someone from their PR team then I salute the initiative, it has made my winter less boring than it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Yeah, not a Ferrari point is not the same as a McLaren point. Each team has its own scale. Still, it has to be a good amount, something worth putting on the car.
    isn't 25 downforce points 1 sec ? per lap

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post

Read this.

- With very accurate data are not yet in the CFD simulations give a gain of about 8 points aerodynamic Byrne's new fund
    -The 8 points win over the current flat bottom that it was very good. But it must be taken with caution until proven in the tunnel
    -If confirmed in wind tunnel it would be a milestone, this week we will know more;)

source@ joseluisf1
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Truzone says that 1 point equals 0.05s, meaning that Byrne's floor is worth 0.4s.

Also, James Allen talks about a new innovation from Lotus:
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/0...st-have-gizmo/

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    Also, James Allen talks about a new innovation from Lotus:
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/0...st-have-gizmo/
    Very interesting, definitely worth keeping an eye on. While I don't expect that single technology to be able to suddenly put Lotus right at the front, it might set off another race to develop that new system.

disapointment again

why ferrari make me disapoint me again and again,what year will this team make an innovative design lotus will gonna be big problem,do you know redbull is a weak and now strong with kimi,im not a kimi fan but ferrari only focus in one enemy,like in abu dhabi what day or year will ferrari win,in technical race mclaren has redbull has now lotus has again i hope ferrari will never disapoint me again i know when i see that car im sad because i will cause failure,what day,can you tell me guys maybe this will be my last watching f1 i hoping for ferrari dominace.

Quote Originally Posted by scudvirgin10 View Post
    why ferrari make me disapoint me again and again,what year will this team make an innovative design lotus will gonna be big problem,do you know redbull is a weak and now strong with kimi,im not a kimi fan but ferrari only focus in one enemy,like in abu dhabi what day or year will ferrari win,in technical race mclaren has redbull has now lotus has again i hope ferrari will never disapoint me again i know when i see that car im sad because i will cause failure,what day,can you tell me guys maybe this will be my last watching f1 i hoping for ferrari dominace.

I wouldn't worry about Lotus too much. They were very proud of their car last year, and that turned out to be garbage. If Rory Byrne said the F12 will be competitive then it will surely be so, he should know a good car when he sees one.

I'm sure the F12 will turn out to be the best car in the history of F1.

...the LONGEST run ON sentence i've ever seen...
    who is this guy, maybe going back to school and learn some basic grammar would help...LOL
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

The Ferrari 'eagle' of Fernando Alonso
    The 'Scuderia' works on the final assembly of the car in 2012, which will sport a distinctive nose, but whose main weapon is the new fund.

Ferrari wants to bury his image as soon as last year. 65 days left to go before the 2012 World start rolling through the streets of Melbourne, but no one stops. The 'Scuderia' has had to board a moving train that now leads Adrian Newey, chief designer of Red Bull. And while drivers, managers and media staff narrowed last night in the traditional ties 'stage' Station Alpine Madonna di Campiglio, in Maranello is counting down the hours to complete the assembly of the car 2012.
    Red engineers have intensified work with the successor to the F150. And that despite the logistical problems encountered with various outside companies, which led to Luca Cordero di Montezemolo himself to intervene in the matter and removing them as suppliers threaten to not only Ferrari, but Fiat.
    It is, in any case, to give, finally, a car champion Fernando, who in recent weeks has increased its presence in Maranello for a first approach to the new car, which have focused since May. The project 663 is different from previous ones. Basically because the shape of its design focus has been. Much more aggressive. Unfortunately, you will not know until February if the bet led by head coach, Pat Fry, is correct or not.
    Can reign for some optimism. But if something generates new hope is to see the halls of the factory in Maranello to Rory Byrne. The South African architect of the seven crowns of Schumacher, but one day decided to leave his position as chief designer to deal with a diving school in Southeast Asia, has returned.
    His figure as a man who takes risks and proposes solutions Adrian Newey risking style emerges, then, in the Ferrari family. And he does it big. His first creation, which must be the secret weapon of Ferrari in 2012, which will blow the car in fast corners and make more than half a second per lap, hurry the last time of production. Your new flat bottom will be tested this week in the CFD, which is nothing else than the computer simulation of a wind tunnel, the tunnel step real. But it will be ready for the first race.
    The presentation, on day 2
    Ferrari has been locked in his bunker to protect that formula to revitalize the car. For now, the 'Scuderia' wait for the February 2 to present publicly, via the Internet, the improvements has been shaped in a thousand locks on the huge factory in Maranello after working hours. And, day 7, released in Jerez. Possibly the hands of Felipe Massa.
    Tests with the new Ferrari, which improves the time of his predecessor in the simulator (despite the prohibition of the exhaust blowers), remain shrouded in mystery. Little is known of the new 'creature'. Nobody knows how it will be fast until March 18 when run out of Pronatura and the first practice in Australia enact the reality.
    La Gazzetta dello Sport 'has been advanced, in any case, some details of the project 663, whose birth has contributed to the pilot Fernando Alonso . His nose in the form of an eagle's beak is the main hallmark, even more than the pull-rod suspension type that Red Bull had opposed both in Maranello, but who have ultimately succumb. Engineers also have made ​​use of copy and paste and manage a cockpit similar to that of McLaren, with the pilot more lying, that sounds influenced by Pat Fry.
    Brand new, yet despite the impossibility of speaking of surprises, the rear diffuser remains the great unknown to the grand prize, first, are many: new radiator more elongated, single exhaust and rear, under the new regulations, the revolutionary background plane, the aileron reediseņo ...
    But there is still much work to do because, so far, from what little is known, the car is apparently similar to last year. But only very apparent.

http://formula1.elcomercio.es/notici...-20120110.html
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

If you call yourself Tifosi you should at least have some faith in Ferrari.

Anyway back on topic. So the new Byrne's floor worth 0.4 sec improvement if the rumors are true.
    It's pretty encouraging because there is other fundamental parts like New Diffuser,New Front Wing introduced in Korea which was a good step forward and should be more developed,New Rear Wing which is still in design process,New Pull-rod suspension system and many other parts which is going to add more pace to the F2012.

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8 View Post
    If you call yourself Tifosi you should at least have some faith in Ferrari.

Anyway back on topic. So the new Byrne's floor worth 0.4 sec improvement if the rumors are true.
    It's pretty encouraging because there is other fundamental parts like New Diffuser,New Front Wing introduced in Korea which was a good step forward and should be more developed,New Rear Wing which is still in design process,New Pull-rod suspension system and many other parts which is going to add more pace to the F2012.
    no, its not like Ferrari have won 9 titles in the last 10 years?? LOLOL. oh wait....

(yeah only joking, damn right we tifosi should have faith.)

Tests with the new Ferrari, which improves the time of his predecessor in the simulator (despite the prohibition of the exhaust blowers),
    i like this quote from the article Rb posted. good stuff

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

prensa-noticias-201201-10-fotos-8906631-264xXx80.jpg
    this is obvious new rules on F150 car but this front wing is diffrent and interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Very interesting, definitely worth keeping an eye on. While I don't expect that single technology to be able to suddenly put Lotus right at the front, it might set off another race to develop that new system.
    Yeah I don't see Lotus having any major success but this new thing is certainly intriguing. I do wonder about the legality though. IIRC there was a rule introduced for 2011 that prevented driver movement from affecting the aerodynamics (one of the rules which banned the F-Duct).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The Ferrari 'eagle' of Fernando Alonso
    http://formula1.elcomercio.es/notici...-20120110.html
    The information in this article is almost identical to the information from joseluis and truzone in the past few months. Awesome.

i like this quote from the article Rb posted. good stuff
    Yes and if you consider that i read somewhere that mclaren is proud that they have reach last years downforce levels!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    prensa-noticias-201201-10-fotos-8906631-264xXx80.jpg
    this is obvious new rules on F150 car but this front wing is diffrent and interesting
    No it's the exact same wing we had from Korea. No one has seen the new car or front wing.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

T van R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Yes and if you consider that i read somewhere that mclaren is proud that they have reach last years downforce levels!!!!!!!
    It is really important news. If it is true then top teams have serious works to do

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalSon View Post
    No it's the exact same wing we had from Korea. No one has seen the new car or front wing.
    Yea but i was looked from diffrent angle so i suposed that this wing is diffrent a bit in flaps. My mistake

Steve Clark has apparently left Mercedes for Ferrari.... any details on him? haven't heard much about him....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    joseluisf1 (on the 1st of january)
    -RB8 initially was 3 tenths slower than the RB7, managed to increase downforce and much faster now

If the above tweet is true (same source as other tweets about ferrari), then I think just being as fast as last year is not going to be enough. Considering we were already a few tenths down on RB7 last year, we would not only have to equal the F150 but improve a few tenths in order to equal last years RB7, and then, improve some more to equal or beat the RB8 as they are apparently faster than last year now. Although I can't help but think there is a lot of PR and mind games being slung around. Can't wait for testing to begin to see what Rory has come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Steve Clark has apparently left Mercedes for Ferrari.... any details on him? haven't heard much about him....
    only found this...

F1 | Ferrari: Steve Clark new head track

Ferrari has scored another major coup for the market, technical director Pat Fry Horse has managed to pull yet another technical value to the competition. This is Steve Clark, from the Mercedes, where he worked until last year. Previously, the Englishman has served as head of the team tests the McLaren from 2002 to 2007 before joining the court of Ross Brawn.

Clark is relatively young (46 years), but already has twenty years experience in the F1 circus as it began its activities with Lotus in 1989 as a race engineer. Training is a frame builder with a good knowledge of mechanics. At Maranello hold the post of manager of the track, a role that puts him above Andrea Stella and Rob Smedley, respectively mechanical engineers of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa.

In short, Clark will report directly to Pat Fry said that as well is setting up a team of technical knowledge that can immediately interact best with the new methodology of work imposed by the technical director of Ferrari. The intent of Fry although a bit 'risky is that of being a trusted group of people who despite having little time can make now active and functional changes imposed by the deputy Aldo Costa.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    only found this...

F1 | Ferrari: Steve Clark new head track

Ferrari has scored another major coup for the market, technical director Pat Fry Horse has managed to pull yet another technical value to the competition. This is Steve Clark, from the Mercedes, where he worked until last year. Previously, the Englishman has served as head of the team tests the McLaren from 2002 to 2007 before joining the court of Ross Brawn.

Clark is relatively young (46 years), but already has twenty years experience in the F1 circus as it began its activities with Lotus in 1989 as a race engineer. Training is a frame builder with a good knowledge of mechanics. At Maranello hold the post of manager of the track, a role that puts him above Andrea Stella and Rob Smedley, respectively mechanical engineers of Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa.

In short, Clark will report directly to Pat Fry said that as well is setting up a team of technical knowledge that can immediately interact best with the new methodology of work imposed by the technical director of Ferrari. The intent of Fry although a bit 'risky is that of being a trusted group of people who despite having little time can make now active and functional changes imposed by the deputy Aldo Costa.
    Thanks for the info :)
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...