Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zeus2 View Post
    joseluisf1 (on the 1st of january)
    -RB8 initially was 3 tenths slower than the RB7, managed to increase downforce and much faster now

If the above tweet is true (same source as other tweets about ferrari), then I think just being as fast as last year is not going to be enough. Considering we were already a few tenths down on RB7 last year, we would not only have to equal the F150 but improve a few tenths in order to equal last years RB7, and then, improve some more to equal or beat the RB8 as they are apparently faster than last year now. Although I can't help but think there is a lot of PR and mind games being slung around. Can't wait for testing to begin to see what Rory has come up with.
    Those tweets about Red Bull:

These Spanish guys on Twitter have information about Ferrari, not Red Bull. What we do know is that currently, our 2012 car is already faster than the F150 - and Byrne's floor will bring a further 4 tenths.

We don't know what state Red Bull are currently in, but if Red Bull launch their RB8 on Feb 5th in Milton Keynes, maybe then we should start to worry. Based on recent comments from Marko, I think Red Bull will be launching their car on the first day of pre-season testing, as they did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post

We don't know what state Red Bull are currently in, but if Red Bull launch their RB8 on Feb 5th in Milton Keynes, maybe then we should start to worry. Based on recent comments from Marko, I think Red Bull will be launching their car on the first day of pre-season testing, as they did last year.
    Why do you say this?

These Spanish guys on Twitter have information about Ferrari, not Red Bull. What we do know is that currently, our 2012 car is already faster than the F150 - and Byrne's floor will bring a further 4 tenths.

I suppose you're right about the accuracy of the tweets. What I'm getting at is that just being slightly faster than last year isn't going to cut it for us, as we have to account for last years deficit to RB too. BTW why do we have to get worried if RB launch on FEB 5?

I suppose you're right about the accuracy of the tweets. What I'm getting at is that just being slightly faster than last year isn't going to cut it for us, as we have to account for last years deficit to RB too.
    The guys on Twitter are very careful about the information they give away. There is no indication as to how much faster the 663 is compared to the F150. I think that much of our deficit to Red Bull can be recovered with the exhaust blowing ban.

BTW why do we have to get worried if RB launch on FEB 5?
    If Red Bull launch on Feb 5th at their HQ, then there is a good chance the RB rumours tweeted by joseluis are true - meaning that the RB8 is much faster than the RB7.

If Red Bull launch on Feb 5th at their HQ, then there is a good chance the RB rumours tweeted by joseluis are true - meaning that the RB8 is much faster than the RB7.
    Oh i see, if one rumour is true then so is the other. hmmmm.

I for one hope they don't find a exhaust blowing loophole and steal the march on the rest of the teams like they have in the past.

As for all these updates, i believe them to be true, they seem reliable, however nothing can be confirmed until the car is put on the track and that's a fact. Wind tunnel is not always right and CFD less so.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

It's really impossible to determine where we stand relatively to other teams, again it's better to be cautiously optimistic and expect others to remain competitive, especially Red Bull.

Having said that, we have lots of room for improvement, even with the EBD ban. I believe the switch to the pull-rod suspension will help us with our tyre heating problems. This is an area where we can gain so much more (mechanical grip) as compared to aerodynamic gains.

Hamashima joins Ferrari - January 11, 2012 by Joe Saward

Ferrari has confirmed a couple of new recruits, notably former Bridgestone tyre engineer Hirohide Hamashima, who will work to work on matching the tyres to the cars. The team has also hired Steve Clark from McLaren to head race engineering.

I love hearing and reading all the positive and technical snippets of information and tweets. But when I read specific performance improvements like "x" tenths per lap, well I don't pay too much attention to them. What means a lot more to me is when someone like Rory or some of our leaders or even Nando or Felipe say the car is good etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre B View Post

Ferrari has confirmed a couple of new recruits, notably former Bridgestone tyre engineer Hirohide Hamashima, who will work to work on matching the tyres to the cars. The team has also hired Steve Clark from McLaren to head race engineering.

Man, Ferrari are firing on all cylinders at the moment.

THIS IS REALLY BIG NEWS!

Ferrari has signed Hirohide Hamashima, the former director of Bridgestone's tyre development, to head up its department dealing with the interaction between car and tyres.

It is believed Hamashima will start from today and will report directly to Pat Fry.

Speaking at the annual Wroom Ducati and Ferrari media event at Madonna di Campiglio, team principal Stefano Domenicali said he was looking forward to Hamashima's contribution in a department in which Ferrari struggled during 2011.

"He will give his contribution to the development of the car and the issue of tyres," Domenicali confirmed, "as this was an issue where last year we suffered in some conditions."

THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS AND IT MEANS FERRARI IS WELL AWARE THAT UNDERSTANDING THE PIRELLI TIRES IS KEY TO WINNING! THIS IS A VERY BIG COUP AND TO HAVE A PERSON FERRARI WORKED WITH FOR SO MANY YEARS AND NOW WORKING FOR THEM DIRECTLY IS SUCH FANTASTIC SITUATION FOR FERRARI!

CIAO.

FORZA FERRARI!!!!

Since dropping Marlboro from its name, its abbreviation is now back to "SFM", short for Scuderia Ferrari Mclaren.

Quote Originally Posted by impactX View Post
    Since dropping Marlboro from its name, its abbreviation is now back to "SFM", short for Scuderia Ferrari Mclaren.
    That is truly retarded.

I try not to read too much into the rumours about the new Ferrari, Red Bull or whatever. The changes in the technical department and now the signing of an ex-Bridgestone engineer show that Ferrari are doing all they can. This makes me confident for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by impactX View Post
    Actually it's no longer SFM, now it's "Scuderia Ferrari Santander"

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    It's really impossible to determine where we stand relatively to other teams, again it's better to be cautiously optimistic and expect others to remain competitive, especially Red Bull.

Having said that, we have lots of room for improvement, even with the EBD ban. I believe the switch to the pull-rod suspension will help us with our tyre heating problems. This is an area where we can gain so much more (mechanical grip) as compared to aerodynamic gains.
    I thought the main benefits of the pull-rod are lower CofG and improved airflow at the rear of the car?

According to twitter Ferrari 2012 is scheduled today for "crash test" in Bollate near Milan...fingers crossed...

Please refrain from posting comments that could be deemed offensive or discriminatory. Thanks - TSN Mod.
    Last edited by Suzie; 11th January 2012 at 14:10.

I can't wait to see the new Ferrari on the 3rd of Februari!!!!
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre B View Post

Thats good news ( it'd be amusing to watch a japanese guy speaking in italian ) . Am I right in thinking that all this hiring is a result of us pulling out of FOTA and not having to abide by the 'gentlemens agreement' (resource restrictions)?

I think we still have to abide by the RRA. But I wouldn't go into how much faster the cars are than their predecessors. I mean, the teams themselves don't know to sure until they enter testing. Remember that Ferraris car last year seemed to be faster than F10. Anything can happen.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Rumor has it that 2012 Ferrari passed the last "crash test" at a facility near Milan.

It seems that first crash tests wasn't successful but that they finally managed to pass it...
    The Reading under is news before yesterdays test at Bollate...

"Ferrari’s 2012 car, described as “not pretty” by Stefano Domenicali this week and codenamed 663, reportedly failed to pass the FIA’s mandatory crash tests at the first attempt.
    The news was reported by the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat as well as Yahoo Italia/Eurosport.
    The governing body’s crash test rules have been tweaked for 2012, meaning they must be passed before a team can test its new car during the official pre-season period beginning in February.
    Ferrari reportedly attempted the crash tests with its all-new ’663′ model a few weeks ago.
    It emerged from the ‘Wrooom’ media event in the Italian Dolomites that Ferrari is trying again this week.
    The Ferrari crash testing will take place at the CSI technical facility in Bollate, near Milan.
    Yahoo Italia/Eurosport said that, in the wake of the initially failed tests, the car has been reinforced with additional carbon sheets."
    Last edited by medeni73; 12th January 2012 at 06:15.

Apparantly Pat Fry said we are quite marginal on passing the crash tests, but it doesn't bother him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    I thought the main benefits of the pull-rod are lower CofG and improved airflow at the rear of the car?
    True. A pull rod layout frees up space and thus make for a tighter rear end (which equates to better airflow = downforce). This, coupled with a lower center of gravity will result in a more balanced car, and thus significant gains in terms of mechanical grip.

Reports are a bit confusing but if I understood correctly they did first test and it failed and then they did yesterday a second one with reinforced carbon sheets and passed it...
    Only problem could be extra weight on car, perhaps we wont loose much but it wont be ideal for a previous car concept...

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    Reports are a bit confusing but if I understood correctly they did first test and it failed and then they did yesterday a second one with reinforced carbon sheets and passed it...
    Only problem could be extra weight on car, perhaps we wont loose much but it wont be ideal for a previous car concept...
    I guess we can really only wait and see. But, it may have been a clever and logical strategy to get our chassis to pass the crash test at its lowest possible weight. ie go to the first test at a weight and with the less "layers" knowing that you are going to fail. Then add slowly until you pass. That way you know you've passed at the lowest possible weight.

Another source says:
    "As reported by Eurosport, Ferrari would not have spent the first crash tests of the FIA for homologation chassis a couple of weeks (so its nothing new, this test failed a couple of weeks ago=. Reason that would have been compelled to reinforce the chassis with carbon film, thus increasing the weight and properties of the chassis.

The reinforcement increases a little weight, but the performance loss would be of thousandths, almost negligible. As reported yesterday faced the crash-test with modifications to the chassis Bollate facilities near Milan. (and that test car passed yesterday according to rumors)"

Another confirmation of successful test yesterday (bad translation):
    "In yesterday's crash test CSI-SPA in Bollate / Milan there are no reported problems. Add 2 "plates" or shows!
    The journalist who was dropped on Monday, just say "apparently passed the test without problems"
    Last edited by medeni73; 12th January 2012 at 08:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Actually it's no longer SFM, now it's "Scuderia Ferrari Santander"
    Might be a problem with our abbreviation if AXA sponsored us then

Safety is important. If it needs additional weight to ensure the car can withstand the crash test, then so be it.

proof that ferrari WAS the 'other top team' mentioned to have developed this lotus thingy.

Ferrari has developed its own reactive ride-height system for 2012 F1 car

Ferrari has already developed its own version of the Lotus reactive ride-height system for its 2012 car, and is now just awaiting final approval from the FIA over its legality.

Lotus has pioneered a way for the ride height on its car to be maintained under braking - which will help both aerodynamic performance and stability. The system is fully mechanical and activated by brake torque.

As AUTOSPORT revealed on Wednesday, the FIA gave approval for the concept as long ago as the start of last year – and rival teams now look set to have to introduce their own versions of the concept for 2012.

High-level sources at Ferrari have confirmed that the Italian outfit has already been working on developing its own reactive ride height system for 2012 – and has submitted its plans to the FIA to ensure that it fully complies with the regulations.

Although it is understood that it has not received official approval yet, it is likely that a decision will be made in time for Ferrari to be able to fit the device to its 2012 car prior to the first pre-season tests.

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali said at the team's media Wrooom event in Italy on Wednesday that there had been correspondence with the FIA over the matter.

"What you are talking about, is more related to having stability under braking," explained Domenicali. "It is a system that I know there have been some documents in writing between the FIA and the teams.

"We are waiting for the final confirmation if this kind of devices will be acceptable or not. But for sure we are looking around these sorts of devices to see if they contribute to a performance. But we need to wait and see what will be the reaction to the FIA on that."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96971

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Great news then, Ferrari on their toes ready to react to anything.

As for the ugly comment by Domenicali, I think the car whill have a unique shape and the nose will be like an eagle's beak. The car will have a very ugly front end imo with a nose that no one has tried before :S . If that is the case, it might prove to be a positive, other teams will find it hard to copy us.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari