Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

i dont think those exhausts are real. that bulge just doesnt seem right, and i bet Ron would have lynched the guy who came up with that for real. i think they may be hiding their exhaust placements.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

They said they will test more solutions so this could only be "fake" and they can change all parts that don't need to be homologated.
    Last edited by Forza 27; 1st February 2012 at 22:49.

The new cars will be photographed very extensively so teams will not be leaving anything too secret on display if they can help it. The basic chassis can't easily be changed, but fibreglass is cheap enough and it only has to look the part. With a coat of shiny-licious paint, who can tell what it's made of? They can just put any old wings and bodywork on the car. It doesn't have to pass scrutineering to be unveiled.

I really don't get why it's going to have yellow rims and not gold. Seems rather odd to me.

The McLaren Diffuser looks really wierd: there are no ridges like the previous years:
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...2/2/12967.html
    (The bottom most pic on the site)
    Any ideas what benefits a straight line of a diffuser have over the normal ridged ones we are so used to??

It looks like it's covered up to keep it secret until the first test day.

Quote Originally Posted by 996 GT1 Lover View Post
    It looks like it's covered up to keep it secret until the first test day.

If we're talking about the MP4-27 then I'd ask "what diffuser?"

MP4-27A at presentation certainly had a fake floor (diffuser is part of it)

T van R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    MP4-27A at presentation certainly had a fake floor (diffuser is part of it)
    and because McLaren is cheating in introducing their MP4-27 car, so ladies & gentlemen we have decided to introduce Ford F150 instead of Ferrari F2012.

2012-Ford-F-150-review.jpg
    Last edited by T van R; 2nd February 2012 at 06:40.

Quote Originally Posted by gvsnraju85 View Post
    The McLaren Diffuser looks really wierd: there are no ridges like the previous years:
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...2/2/12967.html
    (The bottom most pic on the site)
    Any ideas what benefits a straight line of a diffuser have over the normal ridged ones we are so used to??
    That's certainly not the real diffuser. Its not going to work covered up like that.

The reason why a diffuser is curved up is to create a sudden expansion of the space below the car at the rear. This will create a low pressure area which "sucks" the air from the bottom of the car and this create downforce.

Quote Originally Posted by kazi View Post
    I really don't get why it's going to have yellow rims and not gold. Seems rather odd to me.

if your talking about the new OZ rims on the F2012...It's only the logo that will be yellow, at least that's what I get from the article..
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

When teams present the new cars they put a lot of old or undeveloped parts on the car. There is no need to show anything technical, just some sponsor's stickers.

Where abouts will we get an unbiased and balanced reports/views/ blogs on how the cars are shaping up in the tests? A balanced and truthful read or opinion on whos looking good, whos sandbagging, and who struggling, that kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Chicane View Post
    there's an article on planetf1 that ferrari are still about 3tenths slower to redbull according to briatore, alonso's manager..well thats sad to hear if its true...that's a bit a lot..
    As we all don't know who Briatore is. Just loves to run his mouth a bit too much sometimes. How can you know that you're 3 tens slower when even the tests haven't started !?

Ferrari F2012 Launched

Hi all,
    The new Ferrari aggressive F2012has been launched...awesome...

Images are available at F1live.com

Quote Originally Posted by anupa2k View Post
    Hi all,
    The new Ferrari aggressive F2012has been launched...awesome...
    Indeed.
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/sh...d-pics-in-here
    Forza Jules

To scuderiafan or the mods I think it's finally the time to change this thread's name

Thumbs up F2012 development news and rumours

We are all unhappy with the performance of the F2012, right?

We all want to know what's going on with new parts and upgrades for the car. We need a good development programme like Ferrari did in 2010. Let's feed this thread with news about the matter. Some quality rumours are welcome too. Many people don't have the time or skills to find all that info so help us. Thank you all good Ferrari fans.

No comment against Ferrari or its members is welcome in this thread. You can comment on the matter with respect and a positive attitude. Please, follow the OT at all times. Thank you very much in advance.

PS- Wow, I did not see this thread. I was surprised there wasn't one about the F2012. Jeeezzz, I have to visit an optometrist.

Hopefully we all follow the OT here.
    Last edited by Grillo; 19th March 2012 at 17:32.

There will not be anything new on the technical front in Sepang and the team will have to make a virtue of necessity, which means trying to adapt the F2012 as well as possible to the characteristics of the Malaysian track, which is very different to Albert Park.
    http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...maranello.aspx

So they're probably building up something big for China, instead of pushing for this weekend. Shows how they've ditched the conservative route from their dictionaries.

Radical concept F2012?

Could the PR please elaborate / explain / comment on what is meant by the RADICAL design term of the F2012? What is radical if we require:-
    1. traction
    2. top speed
    3. balance
    Surely these 3 areas are fundamental to building a fast race car ? What do we need to understand if the car is slower by 1s a lap as opposed to last year at Oz GP? Are we to expect the same at Sepang this year as opposed to last year - I pray not.

Well this is the first year we are using pull rod suspension on the rear, and we opted to go for it on the front as well. And because of this the power steering is completely new too. The whole cooling system is new, smaller side pods and radiator on top of the gearbox.
    But the only radical thing is the front suspension.

There are a bunch of articles suggesting we went radical just for the sake of being radical, and the video of the presentation of the F2012 may suggest this to. Alonso says to Massa when unveiling the car "radical design" in Italian.
    But I don't think this is true, we went Radical because before we didn't have the pace to compete and the updates could only bring us so much. So instead of trying to patch an old design we went for a new one.
    Veni Vidi Vici e Vici Vici Vici.... Ferrari F2012 WDC WCC Champion

Well, radical can mean a total change in design, or a total change from the previous car which is true in this case.

I think sometimes it's easy to confuse innovative with radical? Of which the F2012 doesn't feature anything innovative.

All heartedly, McLaren's theory of keeping the car relatively good looking is paying off.

I also feel that the bump on the F2012 will change. Doubtly they'll go with McLaren's way as that requires a new chasis and etc, but perhaps a more sculpted version, or include RB's intake?

@sam101
    Hey don't let your self down. Anyway as far as Sepang is concerned, I am really expecting very different results for everyone because weather forecasting showing storm at this weekend.So just sit and enjoy this stormy race !!!!

T van R Guest
    Analyzing Australian GP with Alonso's car:

Race pace interestingly was equal & sometimes better than Red Bull with both soft tyres & Medium Tyres until the lap 25. As you saw Alonso close the gap to Vettel in 25 laps, but after 25 lap slowly the gap increased. Approximately 2012 Formula 1 car use 86 liter fuel until Lap 25 in Australian GP, so after using 86 liter fuel, our race pace dropped. It shows that with more downforce F2012 can be a monster

So in my opinion:
    -Tyre heating problem is solved.
    -Tyre degradation problem is solved. Our pit stop priority is as the same as front runners (Red Bull & McLaren).

F2012's weak aspects in my opinion:
    Slow straight line speed
    Insufficient downforce

So the gap is not always 1 second from front runners.
    Last edited by T van R; 19th March 2012 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    We are all unhappy with the performance of the F2012, right?

We all want to know what's going on with new parts and upgrades for the car. We need a good development programme like Ferrari did in 2010. Let's feed this thread with news about the matter. Some quality rumours are welcome too. Many people don't have the time or skills to find all that info so help us. Thank you all good Ferrari fans.

No comment against Ferrari or its members is welcome in this thread. You can comment on the matter with respect and a positive attitude. Please, follow the OT at all times. Thank you very much in advance.

Well the summary so far is, final optimisation of Current exhausts in China.

Then original to be used in Spain, allegedly gives a lot of benefit. Rumours were going round of a crash test, but have been denied by the team.

The main thing they need to work on, IMO is balance, particularly in the rear. Solve this, and a nicely balanced car will solve a lot of the deficiencies. But of course Pat knew this in Barca test.

For Malaysia, not massive parts changed, but interesting that the car is being flown back to maranello . Maybe a major setup change?

Regarding the radical stuff, well one of the major parts of the concept they had is not run, so maybe it would be different when all cars merged together?
    When applying the same logic, McLaren last year only had those side pods, apart from that everything was the same.

Also,
    http://www.f1-direct.net/2012/img.php?id_img=1167

Old launch front wing being raced.

Race/Final test front wing.

part of Barca update? Maybe it worked well with old exhaust somehow?
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 19th March 2012 at 18:09. Reason: Dodgy Links. Sorry

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Working on the chassis, mainly front end changes

Thanks scuderiafan.

They might be working on the chassis, some changes mainly at the front.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/...59_180670.html