Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

I want to start from the exhaust which we couldnt work.It seems the best way to gain rear downforce and make the car balance is perfect.So Mugello tests are very important to use it in Spain.The team is working hard on this object i mean it will be a great contribution if executed without any issues.Ferrari is most obsessed with this device.It can has a huge potential.Because no normal or ordinary update isnt enough us.We need something special that creates a big benefit comparing to others.And today there must be a meeting between Fry and Domenicali to decide which team's solution they go on to the forward races.It is temporary

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    Thanks scuderiafan.

They might be working on the chassis, some changes mainly at the front.

http://deportes.elpais.com/deportes/...59_180670.html
    are we going to switch the nose according to the text?

Quote Originally Posted by T van R View Post
    Analyzing Australian GP with Alonso's car:

Race pace interestingly was equal & sometimes better than Red Bull with both soft tyres & Medium Tyres until the lap 25. As you saw Alonso close the gap to Vettel in 25 laps, but after 25 lap slowly the gap increased. Approximately 2012 Formula 1 car use 86 liter fuel until Lap 25 in Australian GP, so after using 86 liter fuel, our race pace dropped. It shows that with more downforce F2012 can be a monster

So in my opinion:
    -Tyre heating problem is solved.
    -Tyre degradation problem is solved. Our pit stop priority is as the same as front runners (Red Bull & McLaren).

F2012's weak aspects in my opinion:
    Slow straight line speed
    Insufficient downforce

So the gap is not always 1 second from front runners.
    It would be very encouraging if your calculations are correct!!
    On lap 25 our car was 5.295 seconds behind Vettel but somehow Alonso's pitstop was 3.900 seconds better than Red bull's.That makes a total of 9.195 seconds.[average of 0.368 seconds per lap.]
    I agree though that up to that point Alonso's Ferrari was far better balanced than later at the end of the race with empty tanks.

Didn't ferrari say they were making no crash tests? Apart from that I think it was on the money. The exhausts is not the only thing that is the problem. The lack of setup time on the pull rod was also apparent. More time, and that shall improve hopefully.
    Somebody on another forum said that Alonso got some dirt or something stuck in his side pod/diffuser

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Michael takes care to keep the front wing ducts secret.

Well done, very professional.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/c5gjPrb43LA

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    are we going to switch the nose according to the text?
    Villadelprat comments that it's said within Ferrari "they might change parts of the chassis to solve their problems on the aerodynamics and top speed".

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Didn't ferrari say they were making no crash tests? Apart from that I think it was on the money. The exhausts is not the only thing that is the problem. The lack of setup time on the pull rod was also apparent. More time, and that shall improve hopefully.
    Somebody on another forum said that Alonso got some dirt or something stuck in his side pod/diffuser
    I've read in Spain that Alonso himself said it after the race.

Villadelprat comments that it's said within Ferrari "they might change parts of the chassis to solve their problems on the aerodynamics and top speed".

I've read in Spain that Alonso himself said it after the race.
    Hımmm i wonder if it is nose,thanks

Wow, he actually stayed there until they lift it off.

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    Good reading but I hope everything's working fine long before Mugello tests in May.

Yep. I expect changes to the sidpods, and big changes but Maybe no crash tests necessary.
    I just realised it is 3 weeks from Malaysisa to Shanghai. That is a lot of time, and enough to make a good step. Forza Ferrari!

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

why we have problem with exhaust?
    is our solution is most complex relative to top team or it is just our weakness in aerodynamics department?

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post
    why we have problem with exhaust?
    is our solution is most complex relative to top team or it is just our weakness in aerodynamics department?
    I'd say it's more complex and difficult to make it work properly on the actual car.

F2012 development news thread

Quote Originally Posted by zike View Post
    All of this stuff is strange we have no direction we are fishing in the dark
    At the moment, it does seem like that but hopefully they can find a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Tweets from Jose Luis...

• At the moment they are not going to make changes to the front of the chassis of the F2012 as indicated by some rumors
    • The most urgent is to put a final position of the exhausts and remodeling the rear end, engine cover and sidepods for them
    • They were working on 2 exhaust solutions: the original, which is what gives more benefits because the car was designed around it
    • And the interim that they have been using since the last test in Barcelona. In the previous they have added a new style McLaren / Sauber
    • The solution of McLaren / Sauber has the advantage of rapid development and that gives more benefits than what they currently use
    • There will be several working groups, one in the current solution & the McLaren / Sauber and another in the original exhaust
    • For China it's expected the current solution evolved or similar to that of McLaren / Sauber as they continue the development / manufacturing
    • The rear end needs to be optimized in China for the solution they choose. The original exhaust is impossible until Spain
    • If the solution they use in China works better than expected,they could abandon the original exhaust and evolve this
    • We must make some modifications to the suspension to improve mechanical grip and tyre management
    • A modified power steering might be in Sepang for the drivers to to test and decide whether it's better than the current
    • It is uncertain whether the modified power steering is available for Malaysia, but they will try

Dunno why anyone pays attention to these tweets no more
    Forza Ferrari

Well this is the best way to know if this guy is valid or not.

He clearly said that in China we will have a new exhausts solutions similar to Sauber & McLaren, if we go there and we don't see nothing like that ... well we can pretty much put him on our ignore list from now on

I am certain when exhaust is solved we will be top. This year we have been bad so far because we got greedy on the exhaust. Its close to target area for max power but distance is too small to get plume on target over a large operating window. We need high mass flow to direct original concept hence no good under braking and acceleration as mass flow too slow to get exhaust plume on target.
    Y
    By Spain I am sure acer ducts will be further from diffuser i.e shorter. Mclaren have a sweet spot on this at tbe moment by having exhaust further from target so weaker less mass flow is needed to get this on target. Ferrari will still be closer to target than them as with high nose can get more mass flow and so put a more poweful plume onto diffuser ditto rb. They will be there soon us a little later.

With their low nose meaning less potential mass flow Mclaren will not have an answer to ferrari and rb soon. Mclaren already ditched snowplow to get more flow to the back when used their update which exhaust at end of the Barcelona test which was further back for slightly stronger exhaust plume. We can get ours further back, Mclaren do not have much room for manouvere. We just got greedy and put exhausts to close a huge task to rectify but can be done.

Once done we can get more downforce on front wing to balance this, suspension can be put in optimum settings rather than being compromised like now as front wing is reduced to make up for low downforce at the back.

how much gain are we going to get from the exhaust updates in china??

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    how much gain are we going to get from the exhaust updates in china??
    You dont expect to get a valid answer here, do you?

1 we dont know if there is going to be a major exhaust update in China...
    2 if there is an update scheduled, we dont know how much gain it gives in simulator.
    3 we wouldnt know the real gain on track even if we knew the supposed gain from simulator

So even the engineers at Ferrari can not know this until the car hits the track.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    You dont expect to get a valid answer here, do you?

1 we dont know if there is going to be a major exhaust update in China...
    2 if there is an update scheduled, we dont know how much gain it gives in simulator.
    3 we wouldnt know the real gain on track even if we knew the supposed gain from simulator

So even the engineers at Ferrari can not know this until the car hits the track.
    But Jose Luis knows

lol @ 5:03

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudiuCojo View Post
    Well this is the best way to know if this guy is valid or not.

He clearly said that in China we will have a new exhausts solutions similar to Sauber & McLaren, if we go there and we don't see nothing like that ... well we can pretty much put him on our ignore list from now on
    Well, what about the mystical Rory Byrne floor?
    Mark Webber: "If you push to try and pass you kill the tyres but if you wait, then you find you're on the same strategy and finish behind them anyway".

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Well, what about the mystical Rory Byrne floor?
    According to Jose Luis the Rory Byrne ultima floor has been stolen bij McLaren mechanics from the Ferrari trucks. They bolted that floor before the Australian qualifying on the cars of Jenson and Lewis.

Does anyone know what has happened to our 'flexi wing'.

It seems McLaren and Mercs have adopted a flexi/twisint wing. A lot of attention has been paid to their movement in the wings so far.

However after all the testing Ferrari did last year I see no reports of us carrying over the flexi wing concept this year....?

Quote Originally Posted by VSeven View Post
    Does anyone know what has happened to our 'flexi wing'.

It seems McLaren and Mercs have adopted a flexi/twisint wing. A lot of attention has been paid to their movement in the wings so far.

However after all the testing Ferrari did last year I see no reports of us carrying over the flexi wing concept this year....?
    they say that the Mercedes wing doesn't flex but the car has lots of hanging/rolling in the corners that it looks like a flexing wing.

ok here is the B plan which is going to begin in Spain .....

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4875/as5j.png

it is becaming the same image of 2011 isnīt???
    Race victories 219
    Pole positions 205
    Fastest laps 225
    Words of what???We are the F1!!!Any Doubts???

Thanks for the B plan info CrucialXtreme... oh wait....

Quote Originally Posted by luicchi View Post
    ok here is the B plan which is going to begin in Spain .....

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4875/as5j.png

it is becaming the same image of 2011 isnīt???
    any more info on this B version

AutoSprint:
    It’s very difficult for Ferrari to change sidepods because they must change resonance waves of the engine.
    The resonance wave modification points to shorter or longer exhaust pipes. And yes much modification in regards to radiators.

Domenicali said no crash test. I believe him over rumours. But for sure they will have a massive upgrade for Spain.