Page 5 of 161 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819305580105 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    what interests me is that they seem to know what has gone wrong, but dont want to fix it because it will take too long time off next years car.
    The new parts that didn't work had to do with improving the performance of the EBD, and since that part is banned next year it doesn't pay to fix it when you can't use it in 2012.

Interesting thoughts expressed by many. My thinking is a part unto itself is not a factor toward improving the current race car but it has value when used in cionjunction with other part dependent upon it. I think Ferrari are being careful what they test and what is being seen. They certainly are measuring the flow and downforce load of the tested Front Wing. Remember that everything behind the front wing will be much different in next years race car and the application of the tested Front Wing on this car will have a much different effect on the 2012 race car. Ferrari knows that Downforce is the KEY to unlocking speed in the race car as long as Drag is reduced. If they are able to grasping as much of the air around the race car as possible and better use it to gain Downforce, which is the key to making the car behave better in all conditions, they will gain the maximum speed through the turns. This is one part of the equation. The other part is to learn how the tires heat and what is the best way to have the tires gain heat without blistering and become useless. Many directional load and vortesies swirl all around the race car and the team that manages and takes greatest advantage of the behavior of these vortesies will have the fastest race car.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX132 View Post
    The new nose was surely designed by Ramilton.
    Nah Ramiltons nose section would be shaped like the head of a Hammer-head Shark :)

But on venturi effects, I think RB got a lot from a set up that allowed the rear of the car to raise the bottom plate a few degrees at the back, there by increasing a low pressure air zone under the rear end of the car. Have a look at some of the photos of the RB cars on flat parts of the track and you may see what I mean.

The new regs with regard to exhausts, seem to be the FIA making sure there can be no blowing of exhaust gases hot or cold over any of rear wing surfaces. I would imagine if anyone finds a way to achieve that will get their idea banned :).
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

wouldn't it be great if the next meaningful innovation was not an aero thing?

Maybe if you wanted to watch truck racing.
    Forza Ferrari

IMO, the thing with aero is that its as important to racing cars as it is to an aeroplane. Airplane relies on aerodynamic concept to generate its lift, same with F1, we rely on them to generate additional grip as the cars go through the corner.

You may do things like cambering the wheel to maximize contact and so on, but ultimately the only force thats pressing the car down is the weight of the car, in which case its no different than a road car. An important difference between a road car and a race car is that race car uses aerodynamic concept to generate air pressure that press the car down and this is why we can see race cars going through corners are high speed.

We need something more than just the weight of the car pressing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Maybe if you wanted to watch truck racing.
    ha, ha...that is too funny, but VERY much very true
    nowadays AERO is what is all about, the more efficiently car you have aerodinamically the faster you will go

so hopefully next year Ferrari will be the ones pioneering this category/department the best

Any news about new parts in this race???

not sure what a Merc wing has to do with our car
    Forza Ferrari

@ Hornet,

I agree 110%! Of course things like Dampening & Rebound Dampening and Suspension settings play a very big roll in Mechanical Grip and maintaining tire contact patch area. Just as a Beam works best when a load is acting upon it in an axial manner, so to is the relationship of grip and load in an axial manner with regard to the race car. Reducing lateral forces and apply forces to the race car which are more axial in a linear way to sustain more speed and reduce drag & lateral frictional losses which hamper speed. These are the elements that improve the speed of the race car.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

not sure what a Merc wing has to do with our car
    the inovation on it

Still has nothing to do with our car though which is what this thread is for and also their wing probably won't work.
    Forza Ferrari

Still has nothing to do with our car though which is what this thread is for and also their wing probably won't work.
    well i think Tomabasiz said something about Ferrari will take interesting ideas from slower car's this may be one of this no?
    so it is related to this thread no?
    how do you know it's not going to work?
    i thought you were a Felipe Massa expert

Well I think it is very important to look at everyone's ideas and understand the thought process behind each idea. There seems to be many different solutions to gaining downforce and at the same time trading off some drag. Some ideas work better then others. The Mercedes Front Wing is valid in its depiction of another idea for the front wing. Just as McLaren's Sidepod shape this year may or may not have contributed to aiding downforce of that race car, the idea is an interesting direction to review. I think Ferrari, like all of the teams are looking at many things to stretch the rules as far as they can and always have some sort of backup plan if their primary idea is deemed illegal.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 05alonso06 View Post
    well i think Tomabasiz said something about Ferrari will take interesting ideas from slower car's this may be one of this no?
    so it is related to this thread no?
    how do you know it's not going to work?
    i thought you were a Felipe Massa expert
    No it's not related as that is a Mercedes, I don't know but an article on James Allen suggested no other team was that bothered by it or could see the benefit.

How would you know what sort of expert I am after being here a week? hmmmm strange your username is familiar too....
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I believe he is saying that Rory has found a way to do the Red Bull exhaust effect, but within the new rules. Only 20% as effective, though.
    I think.
    Well that would be nice if true very hard to know what to believe though but I'm positive our 2012 season will be a lot better than 2011.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalSon View Post
    Well that would be nice if true very hard to know what to believe though but I'm positive our 2012 season will be a lot better than 2011.
    McLaren guys are sure that exhaust gasses will be used to improving aero again. Not as much as this year but still. I guess we are not the only one who found something there.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

is there anything new besides the new front wing

lol look at the crazy wing here.

we are actually better than RB at their own trick.

nice to see Ferrari being the talk after a 'innovation', or bending the rules. this is just seeriously trolling the no movable aero rule but it passes the tests

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

scuderiafan was there a reaction from Scarbsf1 on the car in India

Quote Originally Posted by 05alonso06 View Post
    scuderiafan was there a reaction from Scarbsf1 on the car in India
    I posted this in the Practice Sessions thread earlier.

From Scarbs:

"Ferrari's new wing was flexing in Korea, clearly it's doing the same if not worse over the bumps in India. It passes the FIA deflection test."

The future is RED

The F663 project will soon change its name to F666, The red devil is on its way... Red Cows and Mac Cheaters beware.

The project seems to be fruitful so far, I literally cant wait for 2012!!!!

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoTheQuickest View Post
    The F663 project will soon change its name to F666, The red devil is on its way... Red Cows and Mac Cheaters beware.

its looking good.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by NanoTheQuickest View Post

Could not agree more

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    lol look at the crazy wing here.

we are actually better than RB at their own trick.

nice to see Ferrari being the talk after a 'innovation', or bending the rules. this is just seeriously trolling the no movable aero rule but it passes the tests

Wow!

I love seeing sparks

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I think if Ferrari is able to pass the flexure test with that Front Wing, then they should just put some small wheels on the edges of the wing to keep the sparks from flying up!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Did the front wing not already passed the FIA test? i thought i read it some post back, or in a other topic. some other intressing news,Designer Nikolas Tombazis said the 2012 car is reportedly very low with a higher driving position and longer wheelbase than the current 150 Italia. i thought that Alonso said he preffered a lower driving position.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Did the front wing not already passed the FIA test? i thought i read it some post back, or in a other topic. some other intressing news,Designer Nikolas Tombazis said the 2012 car is reportedly very low with a higher driving position and longer wheelbase than the current 150 Italia. i thought that Alonso said he preffered a lower driving position.
    most of those is a rumour, but i think we can expect a lower car, as the rules for nose height are coming in for next year. pretty much most noses have to be around the McLaren height next year.

and yes, Scarbs has said that the front wing used today has passed the test

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Guys when in Q1 I saw a backview of the Ferrari I saw the same rear engine coolong hole RB had last year and we also had it after a while.

Now I did see it again, it is back from or is it just me and was it always there?
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!