Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by croALOfanclub View Post
    http://kepfeltoltes.hu/120419/fer_ww...toltes.hu_.jpg

New mini-rear wing on F2012

via F1Technical forum (@mazdaboy)
    The link doesn't work for me. Could any one please post the picture in here?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    The F2012 have an even tighter rear section thanks to the pull rod suspension.

This is the main reason why most team switch to pull rod for the rear suspension. Unfortunately, Ferrari were late thanks to our previous designers.

very much agree. but what i was referring to was that bulge underneath the acer duct. havent seen that till now, so i thought maybe they tightened the rear even further?

Really don't like those tight rears. Makes the car look like a fish. Even worse are Williams and Sauber with that gap before the rear wing, which makes them appear like incomplete.

Hopefully the next set of rules for when the turbo engines come in, the body work will revert to pre-2009.
    Last edited by Omegablue; 20th April 2012 at 05:22.

i liked the cars better when the rear wings were lower. yeah miss those days

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    It is the same picture as the last one posted by Crucial_Xtreme

Monkey seat is the narrow small wing between upper and lower rear wings. IIRC Ferrari used it last year or the year before at Monaco.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    With photobucket, hopefully it works:

Quote Originally Posted by bladeswing View Post
    very much agree. but what i was referring to was that bulge underneath the acer duct. havent seen that till now, so i thought maybe they tightened the rear even further?
    I see... Hard to tell without a comparison, but would be good if Ferrari can continue to improve the aero there

Quote Originally Posted by Omegablue View Post
    Really don't like those tight rears. Makes the car look like a fish. Even worse are Williams and Sauber with that gap before the rear wing, which makes them appear like incomplete.

Hopefully the next set of rules for when the turbo engines come in, the body work will revert to pre-2009.
    The reason why we focus so much on that shape is due to the diffuser being reduced in 2009. The diffuser is really ugly now, IMO. But there we have it. The only way to revert to 2008 design is if the diffuser is expanded and raised up again.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    It is the same picture as the last one posted by Crucial_Xtreme

Monkey seat is the narrow small wing between upper and lower rear wings. IIRC Ferrari used it last year or the year before at Monaco.
    With photobucket, hopefully it works:
    Thanks friends

Quote Originally Posted by croALOfanclub View Post
    http://kepfeltoltes.hu/120419/fer_ww...toltes.hu_.jpg

New mini-rear wing on F2012

via F1Technical forum (@mazdaboy)
    I asked earlier if they would implement something like this. I'm a little surprised it took them this long to be honest.

LOL. I have been talking about this kind of item placed on the car for a very long time now! These are very basic applications to "Tune" the air flow. They need to get rig of the Ace Duct and give me a turning vane infront of the rear wheel location to channel the air flow and exhaust gases!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

I would also like to see a small wing on the lower portion of the Airbox close to the rear of the race car, below the air flow feeding the Rear Wing, to divert air flow to the lower diffuser.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!@

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    LOL. I have been talking about this kind of item placed on the car for a very long time now! These are very basic applications to "Tune" the air flow. They need to get rig of the Ace Duct and give me a turning vane infront of the rear wheel location to channel the air flow and exhaust gases!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!
    Would this be legal?

Tons of pics today from Bahrain. Many technical pics. Enjoy. Forza Ferrari!

I think only the Rear Wing has bodywork limits. I believe the area of the bodywork forward of the Rear Wing is open to wingets and limited turning vanes.

ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    When the DRS is activated, a small hole on both endplates transports air through a pipe, to the front wing, where it blows specific slots to stall it.

They tried just a hole in the front wing, that did indeed stall it but it made the car incredibly unbalanced in corners so they removed it. When both the front and rear wings are stalled, the car is stable and of course, DRS isn't activated going into a corner - like the FW Duct previously was.
    Thanks Ste.
    After watching this AM, I must say that the car certainly is lacking some form of grip (genius aey?) No one mentions mechanical grip. I dont know what this car is lacking but it looks to behave in an odd, unpredictable way. Its like the drivers simply lose it, mid corners, without any warning whatsoever. I dont think that behavior has a lot to do w/aero, but appears to be chassis oriented. I am no fan of the susp they are using. They can change the aero all they want, but what will solve the way the chassis reacts?

Ferrari twitter:

- Will Mugello update inculde redesign of inside sidepods(radiators position)?
    Ferrari: No, no changes in radiators.

- Will you have Mercedes style stalling device ready for Spain gp
    Ferrari: No.

Will perez drive instead of massa at mugello?
    Ferrari: No, another false rumour

Nearly 2 months since the 1st test and little improvement on the car. Why do we have to keep optimistic?
    Ferrari: Because the big improvements cannot be done in few weeks...

Is the lack of traction a problem understanding the new pull rod suspension or aerodynamic related?
    Ferrari: Difficult to separate things so sharply...

Is exhaust crucial(but not only)problem of F2012?
    Ferrari: Important but not the only one

Sounds as if there are myriad problems. This car seems to want to oversteer even with a larger wing, which makes me think there is a mechanical grip problem. If that is the case, a smaller rear wing to enhance top end speed will only make the oversteering/tire wear problem worse.

Frank, Sections 8.3.1, 8.3.2 and 8.3.3 restrict the size and location of wings, vanes, winglets, etc. It is all done in reference to center-lines and reference plane, but I think they severely restrict the size of any such wings. This may explain why the only winglets we have seen so far are the little things that Ferrari have added.

is ferrari going to run this new smaller rear wing in qually and the race?

Is exhaust crucial(but not only)problem of F2012?
    Ferrari: Important but not the only one
    Its going to be a very long busy year for us

Assuming we don't give up half way and say lets focus on F2013 again

what is this? sensor for a new part?

Attached Images Attached Images

looks like it
    Life might be hard, Concrete is a lot harder

PaulW Guest
    I was just wondering why people can get such clear close up pictures when teams are supposed to keep it secret. Is Ferrari not good on security?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
    I was just wondering why people can get such clear close up pictures when teams are supposed to keep it secret. Is Ferrari not good on security?
    Photographers and camera men are allowed to wander up and down the pit lane during a race event. Its part of promoting the sports. There's also a rule that during race weekend, teams are not allowed to put up any big curtain or anything to cover up the pit garage. If teams are allow to cover up everything during race weekend, then its not good for the sports image, fans cannot see whats going on.

Teams are also not allowed to chase away any camera men.

Quote Originally Posted by arcabe View Post

Its a small vertical aerofoil(fin) to streamline the flow...Its been there since the beginning of the season..

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
    To be fair, at the moment they have nothing to hide...

For what it worth, i think the rear suspension geometry is the problem. It's very different to any other on team on the paddock.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by arcabe View Post

Seems like an air speed sensor.If the car is fitted with another similar sensor at the front of the floor a direct comparison can be had about how the floor/rake and diffuser are working.A good system will accelerate the air out from under the diffuser.The sensors will show them the speed difference.Just a guess!

Amazing that in Bahrain we don't have a massive gaping hole at the back to accommodate for the high temperatures. Cooling system must be really good but i suspect when they close those gaps in the exhaust housing they'll need to find other places for hot air to exit from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    Amazing that in Bahrain we don't have a massive gaping hole at the back to accommodate for the high temperatures. Cooling system must be really good but i suspect when they close those gaps in the exhaust housing they'll need to find other places for hot air to exit from.
    The acer duct itself has a large gaping hole from the body all the way to the tip of the duct. This is enough to disperse the radiator air. While other team don't have that extra duct, so everything is release in the middle.

The acer duct itself has a large gaping hole from the body all the way to the tip of the duct. This is enough to disperse the radiator air. While other team don't have that extra duct, so everything is release in the middle.
    Do you think we might end up with cooling slots/Gills like Sauber?

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    Do you think we might end up with cooling slots/Gills like Sauber?
    That will work exactly against the principle of the design Ferrari are aiming at.That side pod was designed to have very high velocity going through it to mix with the exhaust gases and aimed at the lower wing or diffuser.

Seems like Ferrari have a lot of Drag over, through and around those Sidepods. They have clean the internals up of the Sidepods and place everything as low as possible to keep weight as posible to lower the Center of Gravity and to smooth out internal Air Flow of the Race Car.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!