Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

why do people believe in newspaper articles and tweets? They are just speculating just like the rest of us.

In the last two pages I haven't read a single fact about Ferrari's updates.

Here's a little write up from a friend of mine regarding the new Integral Wheel Nut design Ferrari introduced this year. Is definitely one of the reasons behind our awesome pitstops.

They work like so:

Step 1 - Place wheel over the shaft, as the wheel goes over the shaft the pins retract into the shaft, once the wheel is on the pins snap back.
    Step 2 - With the pins in the out position the wheel is aligned to the thread and cross threading becomes impossible (Unless a retracting pin fails)
    Step 3 - Wheel Gun man places the gun on which isn't impeded by the retracting pins as they only reach the outer edge of the wheel nut race.
    Step 4 - Quicker stop due to less time on the gun with less threads to turn

The entire analysis/comparison can be found--> [url=http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/wheels-wheel-nuts-pit-stops.html]SomersF1 Wheels / Wheel Nuts & Pit Stops[url]
    All images above are courtesy of SomersF1

Here are two very good shots for comparison of the Ferrari & Mclaren systems. Notice we have less threads-larger threads-and more space between them which leads to less problems with cross threading & other issues

Original High-Res

Original High-Res

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    As for changing their methodology, that's a hard one. I think it's safe to say Ferrari are behind Red bull & McLaren for instance in the area of Aerodynamics & simulation(wind tunnel, CFD, driver simulator). For years we always had the track out back to develop the car where other teams had to rely more in the tunnel, CFD & driver sim. So naturally they're more experienced at developing the car through these methods whereas we've taken a more "old school" sort of approach. Red Bull has never shied away from trying new technology the get a leg up on the competition where other teams have been hesitant to do so. You can read about that specifically Red Bull and Immersed Boundary Methods. There's so many things and so many different factors at play here.
    Thanks for the answer and the link (blog bookmarked), truly interesting. The more I look into F1 engineering side the more interesting it gets

Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
    why do people believe in newspaper articles and tweets? They are just speculating just like the rest of us.

In the last two pages I haven't read a single fact about Ferrari's updates.
    Really? On page 65 I posted numerous pictures and analysis of Ferrari F2012 updates mate. As for the newspaper articles & tweets, your statement isn't entirely true. Yes there is plenty of speculation out there, but there's also good information. AutoSprint seems on the decline regarding Ferrari information, whereas OmniCorse & Gazzetta have been pretty accurate as of late. AutoSport is usually pretty accurate as well. As for the tweet from Dimi Papadopoulos, when it's a rumor he says it's a rumor. This guy has broke many F1 news stories before major publications and he should be given credit as being an accurate source of all kind of information F1 related.

Back to the updates, it's going to be really interesting this week. We'll have lots of fun spotting the updates, but even more fun if they work. It's been encouraging that the smaller updates the team have introduced has improved the car, so I don't think them continuing the trend is a stretch. Let's hope it's enough.

Really? On page 65 I posted numerous pictures and analysis of Ferrari F2012 updates mate. As for the newspaper articles & tweets, your statement isn't entirely true. Yes there is plenty of speculation out there, but there's also good information. AutoSprint seems on the decline regarding Ferrari information, whereas OmniCorse & Gazzetta have been pretty accurate as of late. AutoSport is usually pretty accurate as well. As for the tweet from Dimi Papadopoulos, when it's a rumor he says it's a rumor. This guy has broke many F1 news stories before major publications and he should be given credit as being an accurate source of all kind of information F1 related.

Back to the updates, it's going to be really interesting this week. We'll have lots of fun spotting the updates, but even more fun if they work. It's been encouraging that the smaller updates the team have introduced has improved the car, so I don't think them continuing the trend is a stretch. Let's hope it's enough.

You have posted some really interesting things on here Crucial, thanks for all the updates!

I completely agree, this week is going to be really exciting. Its uncool to not be at the top, but it is damn good feeling observing such a passionate team and its followers trying to get there.

This is it people. This really is the time to say Forza Ferrari.

... As for the tweet from Dimi Papadopoulos, when it's a rumor he says it's a rumor. This guy has broke many F1 news stories before major publications and he should be given credit as being an accurate source of all kind of information F1 related...
    Looks like you're not the only one who has faith in Mr. Papadopoulos:

Quote Originally Posted by
    F1: 'B' Ferrari not ready yet - reports

Apr.30 (GMM) Ferrari will not run all of its planned car improvements at the Mugello test this week.

"My information is that the new single seater is not ready," reported Livio Oricchio, the correspondent for O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper.

There has been speculation that, following Ferrari's troubled start to the new championship with its F2012 car, the changes for the forthcoming Barcelona race will be so sweeping that it might be called a "B" version.

But technical director Pat Fry reportedly told Oricchio that Ferrari designers are "staying with the (current) front suspension"; a reference to the Maranello based team's innovative use of pullrod technology this year.

And the well-informed journalist Dimitris Papadopoulos adds that, even though the Mugello-spec Ferrari will have a new nose, sidepods and wings, "there will be no new chassis".

Like I have said.
    Let us make a list. Pushrod front suspension to be tested at Mugello. Rubbished.
    New Chassis for Spain.
    Massa screwing his career to test Ferrari Parts.
    Sergio Perez to drive for Ferrari at Mugello.
    Felipe Massa sacked before first race.
    Insert name to replace felipe Massa.

This is worse than the transfer 'news'. .

What is going on?

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Like I have said.
    Let us make a list. Pushrod front suspension to be tested at Mugello. Rubbished.
    New Chassis for Spain.
    Massa screwing his career to test Ferrari Parts.
    Sergio Perez to drive for Ferrari at Mugello.
    Felipe Massa sacked before first race.
    Insert name to replace felipe Massa.

This is worse than the transfer 'news'. .

What is going on?
    Tell me about it, I'm an Arsenal fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeem View Post
    Tell me about it, I'm an Arsenal fan.
    Lol me too. But then, yesterday was a good day.

Alonso says they didn't have enough time to finish program, or make a proper conclusion on parts, but he said it felt nice to drive around the track.
    Hope for better weather tomorrow.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Lol me too. But then, yesterday was a good day.

Alonso says they didn't have enough time to finish program, or make a proper conclusion on parts, but he said it felt nice to drive around the track.
    Hope for better weather tomorrow.
    It was a great day! And we beat city like last week, perhaps great things are ahead. Till next season! oh dear i see a pattern here

Let's keep it on topic (or at the very least, about Juve )

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Let's keep it on topic (or at the very least, about Juve )
    Congrats, I wish Scudetto went to Milan, but Juve deserve it! Vidal+Pirlo

Now, on topic, there are some rumours coming about that the exhaust today was a both job, making sure the concept worked okay, not overheating the tyres, then tomorrow, or thursday, they will see the proper solution.

Weather seems to look good for tomorrow.

Why would they have a botch job if they have the exhaust to go on tomorrow, another silly rumour?
    Forza Ferrari

Does anybody else see it curious that the top teams haven't tried to develop a similar ductless brake system like Sauber and Williams have?

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Why would they have a botch job if they have the exhaust to go on tomorrow, another silly rumour?
    Maybe, but I guess they want to make sure that the concept works, and since it was raining, they put this on, before tomorrow, and if this wasnt working, then make sure they know that and pop on another solution.

Congrats, I wish Scudetto went to Milan, but Juve deserve it! Vidal+Pirlo

Now, on topic, there are some rumours coming about that the exhaust today was a both job, making sure the concept worked okay, not overheating the tyres, then tomorrow, or thursday, they will see the proper solution.

Weather seems to look good for tomorrow.
    Yep, it was experimental to get baseline numbers similar to those in Jerez, make sure the tyres didn't overheat & make sure the floor & suspension components didn't have any issues like you said mate. Word is Thursday for the updated exhaust, but of course it could make an appearance tomorrow. Let's see. :)

Maybe, but I guess they want to make sure that the concept works, and since it was raining, they put this on, before tomorrow, and if this wasnt working, then make sure they know that and pop on another solution.
    So we have another solution ready if this does not work? does not make much sense to me.
    Forza Ferrari

So we have another solution ready if this does not work? does not make much sense to me.
    Me either. Very strange that they have been supposedly producing new parts and promising updates in the pipeline and yet we still are testing the original solutions. Rain or no rain, this is the ONLY in season test and we have to make the very best of it. Not bolt on new parts in Spain FP1.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Yeah with 3 days I would find it strange they do a botch job to see if it will work tomorrow, why not just put it on today and see if it works?
    Forza Ferrari

Yeah with 3 days I would find it strange they do a botch job to see if it will work tomorrow, why not just put it on today and see if it works?
    x2.

If it doesn't, at least we/they would know and could move on/forward.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Here's a little write up from a friend of mine regarding the new Integral Wheel Nut design
    Awesome! Thanks so much for posting this

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Floor comparison, Alonso v Massa, Tuesday v Wednesday

"It is always better to run the new parts, but the programme was like that for Fernando to try the new exhaust yesterday and for me to try the old one today to do the back-to-back," said the Brazilian.

"Tomorrow we will run some new pieces which are arriving this evening. It won't be everything, as everything will be ready for Barcelona

from massa, soooo tuesdays exhaust is the new one :( lets hope its a bit more tidy come thursday lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    "It is always better to run the new parts, but the programme was like that for Fernando to try the new exhaust yesterday and for me to try the old one today to do the back-to-back," said the Brazilian.

"Tomorrow we will run some new pieces which are arriving this evening. It won't be everything, as everything will be ready for Barcelona

from massa, soooo tuesdays exhaust is the new one :( lets hope its a bit more tidy come thursday lol
    New exhaust, old engine cover? I'm with you, I hope they tidy up the car come Thursday. I'm tired of it looking incomplete.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    New exhaust, old engine cover? I'm with you, I hope they tidy up the car come Thursday. I'm tired of it looking incomplete.
    looking at pics i would say new exhaust, old engine cover! hopefully we will see tomorrow a more tighter engine gover around the exhaust housing!

http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutto...ms1203my92.jpg

the more i look at this picture the more i wonder what took them 3 month to build it!

i'am not saying it's not working!

Because it affects a lot of the car aero I guess and knock on effects, along with wind tunnel time restrictions and having 4 gp's to race in.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by croALOfanclub View Post
    http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutto...ms1203my92.jpg

the more i look at this picture the more i wonder what took them 3 month to build it!

i'am not saying it's not working!
    They weren't working only on the exhaust mate. They've been working on lots of things. The most important was/is to make sure the development path they're taking is the right one and will allow future upgrades of significance. :)

Good article on f1technical.net regarding Ferrari changes at the test.
    www.f1technical.net