Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

RW Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    The F2012 arrived in Montmelo today. With Acer Ducts as the current configuration. Although I'm sure this old exhaust config will be gone for Friday's FP sessions.
    Remember this engine cover we brought to China?

I think it will finally make it's debut in Spain. This will allow us to close off the acer duct exit and change the sidepods further. I think what Ferrari will use in practice will be something like this, but with the exhaust exit being more of a bump in the sidepod, like McLaren.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17982191

Reading Gary Anderson's Review makes a bit worried..
    According to him the car seems to have a flaw in every part\section.
    Hope he is wrong or Ferrari solve those issues as quickly as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post

Yeah what he says is bull.There is no way for him to know what the problems with the car are.And i'm getting sick and tired of everyone trying to suggest all that all the problems come from the pull-rod.If that was the case there is no way alonso would have won in malaysia no matter the strategy or how fast were the pit stops.A car that has bad mechanical grip can't be competitive in rain conditions.Now whether or not using pull-rod over push rod offers any meaningful advantage is another question

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post

Since Ferrari have been changing virtually every portion of the cars bodywork (front wing, side pods, radiators, exhaust, engine cover, rear wing beam wing, brake ducts), I would say that Anderson's report was pretty accurate, even if his assessment of the solutions may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    Since Ferrari have been changing virtually every portion of the cars bodywork (front wing, side pods, radiators, exhaust, engine cover, rear wing beam wing, brake ducts), I would say that Anderson's report was pretty accurate, even if his assessment of the solutions may not be.
    Gary Benson is right with some of his analysis. The coke bottle was a no brainer - ferrari went the wrong direction with this part. Tighter rear end means more mass of air to the rear of the car hence better DF. The front wing as well he is right, look at all the other cars, there front wing are much more complex than f2012, in an attempt to get better airflow over the front tires and also towards the rear of the car. W.r.t the front suspension, i don't agree with that. Scarbs gave a good analysis of the 2 and showed that the pull rod is as good as the push rod. i believe if ferrari work the front wing well they will get an aerodynamic benefit out of it. Ferrari lacks good aerodynamicists and this has been confirmed by Luca himself, that they need to strengthen this area... let's wait for q3, we will know how well ferrari has managed to understand the aerodynamics of the car and apply some good solution to resolve the issues we had previously. I am quite confident after mugello... the car was very consistent and also looked well glued to the track specially in the corner where alonso was kissing the curbs on almost every part of the circuit. Now it remains to be seen whether they have good traction out of slow corners which mugello didn't have a lot...

Oh no......

Fernando at the Drivers Press Conference.

Q: Fernando, how do you feel about the Ferrari now after Mugello testing with new parts, does it feel different now to winter testing?

A: No, not really.

Is he sandbagging or what?..........

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifella View Post
    Oh no......

Fernando at the Drivers Press Conference.

Q: Fernando, how do you feel about the Ferrari now after Mugello testing with new parts, does it feel different now to winter testing?

A: No, not really.

Is he sandbagging or what?..........

i'd say, BIG TIME....why would he let the "cat out of the bag" just yet...it's better to confuse the competition before the weekend even starts.....he, he..

i think quietly and secretly knows, as well as teh whole team that they have made progress...

Alonso will WIN this race...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Acer duct looks different from pictures.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Acer duct looks different from pictures.
    Don't think its the Acer duct per say. It's the revamped exhaust 'Nando ran on Thursday in Mugello.

they're forecasting rain for Sunday, so we may not get a clear picture of the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrarichamp View Post
    they're forecasting rain for Sunday, so we may not get a clear picture of the updates.
    that's OK, we'll see how well they work in FP1 and FP2....as well as Quali when it counts
    and if the updates work realatively good and we qualify in the top 5 and as well if it rains on sunday, Alonso will WIN...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
    Don't think its the Acer duct per say. It's the revamped exhaust 'Nando ran on Thursday in Mugello.
    Edit: look. Mugello, compare this with the pic at the top of page. Less of coke bottle again.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Edit: look. Mugello, compare this with the pic at the top of page. Less of coke bottle again.

I think the fact that the body work is off the car in the top picture makes it look likes its the Acer ducts. But I'm guessing when the body work is on it'll be like your picture.
    Last edited by Homan13PSU; 10th May 2012 at 16:49.

A fresh picture of our car today.

Alonso seemed a bit downbeat on the car in Mugello in today's press conference, but then went on to say this year's car can still be a base for next year.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Alonso seemed a bit downbeat on the car in Mugello in today's press conference, but then went on to say this year's car can still be a base for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
    I think the fact that the body work is off the car in the top picture makes it look likes its the Acer ducts. But I'm guessing when the body work is on it'll be like your picture.
    Yes, you are probably right.

Underneath shot of the new exhaust used in Mugello today in Montmelo.

I guess no surprise then. It would have been a miracle if we could suddenly start winning.

Last year the car was just slow. This year the car is slow AND filled with all sort of problems like traction and top speed and inconsistent as the fuel load drops.

Ferrari have a huge mountain to climb

at one part of conference yes,but in one part it almost sound like they are bringing different car in BCN than it was in Mugello!

New fuel for the F2012. Shell claims it will give the team an advantage over the others.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...le-update.aspx

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/0...for-barcelona/

So it looks like we have to wait for next year. Again.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Looks like we will run some aero sensors in free practice

Fernando Alonso isn't expecting major gains in Spain after admitting his F2012 wouldn't feature any 'major upgrades'.

Ferrari are set to introduce their new exhaust layout this weekend at the first race following the Mugello test, however the revised solution isn't as radical as some of those seen up and down the grid, with the Italian outfit opting for a conservative layout to help them understand the cars issues.

Alonso admits the car is similar to that seen in the opening four races but with some more minor updates.

"Our car is not really very different to before," he wrote in his diary. "We don't have big improvements although we do have some new parts.

"At Mugello during the test we mainly worked on trying different set-ups and other things we were not able to work on during pre-season testing, so it was a case of completing our winter work. Some of the things we tried in Mugello worked well, others less so."

The Spaniard says this is the first step of many, and whilst optimistic for his home race, he understands the need to continue improving the car as their rivals do so too.

"We are definitely better prepared now than we were before Australia. We have some new aero parts and other updates, but we will have to wait and see where we are after the race.

"Because we are Ferrari, there seem to be a lot of expectations, but the other teams have also developed their cars. What we have here in Barcelona is not the last step and we must continue to improve our performance for qualifying and the race in Monaco, in Canada and the following races.

"This is just the first step of many and if it is not enough, then we must work harder for Monaco and be even more aggressive in our approach. We will never give up in May, after just four races

ARE WE EVER GOING TO HAVE ANY MAJOR UPGRADES ALONSO!!!!!!!!!

Guys, it's becoming to look like a joke. A weekend before they said they would be bringing a major update for BC, like new nose, etc..., and now they say it will be minor updates? Seems like Ferrari is lost...

I don't think I Got that reading from Fernando in the PS. He wasn't in the best of moods, but then some of the questions asked
    He just said the car didn't feel that different at Mugello, but we have bigger update here and if you recall, the team are always playing down updates when they actually get to a race, at least until they work, or have been tested.
    Especially Fernando like to play down parts.

I could be wrong though, but I have seen this said before, only for the team to catch up well.

And some of those quotes mean ( at least the way I read them) that don't expect the Ferrari to be on pole, which is fair enough.

Also, here is Felipes take, with some football added onto the end.
    http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...om-now-on.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by pesquisa_2004 View Post
    Guys, it's becoming to look like a joke. A weekend before they said they would be bringing a major update for BC, like new nose, etc..., and now they say it will be minor updates? Seems like Ferrari is lost...
    You have to be careful who you listen to. Here is what Fernando said:

So we will not bring a new car to every race as it seems that we brought here in Barcelona.

Link--> http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...conf-esp1.aspx

He's saying they're bringing so many parts for Barcelona some deem it as a whole new car. He did not say the updates they were bringing is minor. Below is the most accurate description of the current situation:

Like its rivals, Ferrari has new parts for the Spanish GP, but Fernando Alonso insists that too much emphasis has been focused on his team’s chances of turning its season around with changes to the recalcitrant F2012.

The local hero is keen to downplay expectations for his home race.

“Obviously we have new parts
    , but everybody has new parts,” said the Spaniard. “Because it’s Ferrari, there are quite a lot of expectations every race we go to. It seems like only Ferrari is bringing new parts. We have a step forward, we believe, on what we had in Bahrain, but we also know that it’s not the last step we have to do.

“It’s a continuous work that we need to start here in Barcelona, making a step forward and try to improve our qualifying position and our race pace, but in Monaco we have to bring new parts. In Canada [we have to] bring new parts. So we will not bring a new car to every race as it seems that we brought here in Barcelona.

“We need to see how the car works here and if it works fine, it will be a good step, the first step of many that we have to do during the next couple of races. If the step is not good enough, because the others improved the same or more than us so we remain in the same position, we need to work harder, for Monaco and for Canada, and bring more new parts in a more aggressive approach or whatever, because the championship is long and we will never give up in May, after four races.”

The double World Champion reiterated that last week’s Mugello test was focused more on setup that new parts: “We didn’t have any big improvements in the car, so what we tested were different setups and things we missed from winter testing. It’s been quite difficult for us with a lot of problems on the car and not many laps. The Mugello test was to complete what we had left from winter but in terms of improvements, we had minimum changes on the car so it felt the same.

“Obviously, we had some ideas in terms of setup and some different possibilities that we were not introducing in the first four races because we didn’t have the opportunity to test them. So, it was good in Mugello: some of them were positive; some of them were negative so it’s good to know.

“As much information as you have is better preparation for the next Grand Prix. Obviously we arrive more prepared now than how we arrived in Australia with only three tests in the winter. But to make the car faster I think in terms of setup you cannot find much. If you want to be running at the front, it’s more aerodynamic parts and updates in the car. Hopefully, they come but we need to wait.”

Alonso expects the DRS to contribute to an exciting race on Sunday.

“I think it will be similar to last year, to be honest,” he said. “I saw some numbers of previous races here. On average like four or five overtaking maneuvers in the last nine years and last year there were 57 – so it was a big change. The race this year will be similar to last year because of the degradation, the DRS and the KERS.

“With all the possibilities that we have now, as we had last year, for sure we will see some more overtaking. This changes also a little bit the philosophy of this circuit. As Kimi (Raikkonen) said, pole position was 60 percent of the victories; now pole position is obviously the best starting position but it’s not crucial anymore because with this year’s tires it’s less important.”

Link--> http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...rari-progress/

Sites confused what he said about Mugello for Barcelona.

So to summarise:

Mugello focused on continuing winter testing, primarily focused on set-up changes.

Barcelona will have significant number of developments, with comparatively minor developments thereafter.