Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Or as Macca, Red Bull and Lotus said, Mugello testing was a waste of money and time. In the meantime, Lotus sent full sized cars to North Carolina to test new parts in a wind tunnel.

It is going to be very interesting to see what was really gained from Mugello, or North Carolina.

Ah, today is the day, Friday free practice

Can't wait to see what new parts we put on our car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    Or as Macca, Red Bull and Lotus said, Mugello testing was a waste of money and time. In the meantime, Lotus sent full sized cars to North Carolina to test new parts in a wind tunnel.

It is going to be very interesting to see what was really gained from Mugello, or North Carolina.
    I thought you can't test full size, only 60%?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX132 View Post
    I thought you can't test full size, only 60%?
    Four one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius sites between 1 January of the current year and the start of the last Event of the Championship. Any of these days may be substituted for four hours of wind]on full scale wind tunnel testing to be carried out in a single twenty four hour period.

formula1.com

I thought Nando's mood was great. Very calm, mind on the job and giving nothing away. All seems good news to me.

Some pictures of friday practice 1

http://www.motorsportgp.pl/index.php...iszpanii/pitek

New & Old diffuser comparison

this is the updated B spec version chassis massa will be running in FP2....LOL

if it works and the gains are massive, then alonso will use it too for quali an race...

So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    New & Old diffuser comparison

What is the difference? The turning vanes?
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

There is not aero color in this part of top wishbone.
    Is this mean exhaust gas blow top wishbone?

Original pic:

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    this is the updated B spec version chassis massa will be running in FP2....LOL

if it works and the gains are massive, then alonso will use it too for quali an race...

I KNEW they were going to change the sidepods! Great pic!

Trying to be less angry..

New Front Wing Comparison

Upgrades working, correlation good, etc.
    Gene says next big update is Canada, as in Monaco they will probably be getting the street only package for the car.

I believe we may see outward/downward facing exhausts for Canada, to do what they wanted to do, or what Sauber are doing. Right now, there is some time to be gained there, as right now they aren't gaining much, but crucially no time lost.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Can't wait to see future updates, now that it seems this season Ferrari knows what updates to bring that will work. If we could gain another 0.5sec or so I think we will be fighting for wins.

We need to improve our mechanical pace as quick as possible.Seems exit of slow corners are still a headache.It may be a problem for us when we are in street tracks so i mean if we can able to bring some update to Monaco for traction,brakes and balance this would be great

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    We need to improve our mechanical pace as quick as possible.Seems exit of slow corners are still a headache.It may be a problem for us when we are in street tracks so i mean if we can able to bring some update to Monaco for traction,brakes and balance this would be great
    Indeed, Alonso was not able to keep close to Mal in the final sector with those slow corners. Hopefully we can find some improvement before Monaco

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Indeed, Alonso was not able to keep close to Mal in the final sector with those slow corners. Hopefully we can find some improvement before Monaco
    Yeah thats the reason why we couldnt overtake him mate.We always reduced the gap in first two sector but final sector was a little difficult for us.He was dissapparing when Ferrari were exit of the corner.As you said lets hope we can find some improvment before Monako

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    Its a compromise. Maybe we were running a stiffer car than the Williams. That would explain why we were faster than them in the quick, flowing corners and slower in the slow corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Indeed, Alonso was not able to keep close to Mal in the final sector with those slow corners...
    "Our" broadcasters seemed to think he was nurturing his tires to the end of the race??

Our car is now at the level it should have been at the 1st race. Others are 5 races along and a test in development. I believe our base level is higher than others and over next 3 or 4 races we can make it comfortably into the lead. For once our car is different and an open book of development. Williams and Renault have been consistantly fast all year but masked sometimes by other factors. They appear to not be doing much with exhausts like us now. By blowing the diffuser does anyone else feel the gains are greater but the window of oppurtunity is far smaller to get it right race in race out?

what are the new parts used in this race compared to the car used in Bahrain? i think there are too many to mention? but what are those? pretty effective i think.
    Hell would have broken loose

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    Our car is now at the level it should have been at the 1st race.
    Our car is now on better shape no matter how good it could have performed at the first race. Hardest and most important thing is to find the right development direction, and we did it.

Quote Originally Posted by anakin View Post
    what are the new parts used in this race compared to the car used in Bahrain? i think there are too many to mention? but what are those? pretty effective i think.
    Ferrari team have at least six major changes on the car for barcelona, including a new nose, front wing details, turning vanes, sidepods, exhausts, rear wing and floor.

Gary Anderson on wow Ferrari have developed their car and how they can further develop it..

Ferrari brought lots of new parts to the Spanish Grand Prix - including a new floor, revised rear bodywork and exhaust position and new front and rear wings - and it has obviously made a difference.
    Alonso qualified third - which became second on the grid after Lewis Hamilton's penalty - and it's not easy to get up there.
    He was 0.6 seconds off Hamilton's pole time, and in the first four races of the year the Ferrari was more like 0.9secs off pole.
    So it looks like they have made enough of a step to make getting into the top 10 a bit more comfortable.
    But it's difficult to be sure whether that is all down to the new parts.
    I'm sure there is a better lap-time in Alonso in Spain than in some other places. He's also exceptional around Monaco, the next race.
    Confusing the picture, team-mate Felipe Massa was even further behind Alonso than usual, although he did have the excuse of traffic in qualifying.
    So it may be Canada - where Ferrari are expected to bring some more new parts - before a definitive judgement on their progress can be made. Alonso and team boss Stefano Domenicali were saying something similar after the race.
    The modifications to the car are all sensible, but Ferrari do need to go again. There are two main areas that still need work.
    The big change for Barcelona was the rear of the sidepods, which are now much more tightly waisted than they were.
    That is definitely a step in the right direction - but they can go much further and get even more gains there by waisting the back of the car in even more and moving the radiator exits somewhere where they hamper the aerodynamics less, perhaps out of the back of the engine cover.

The other area is the front wing, particularly the endplate, which they are not using aggressively enough to turn the air off the front wing around the front wheels.
    Ferrari definitely have an aerodynamic deficit there, and I don't know why they are not going much further with the endplates in the manner of the other front-running teams. It suggests something is going wrong with their aerodynamic modelling and simulation.
    I have been really impressed by Alonso's attitude this year. It's very easy for drivers to get depressed in the situation he finds himself in.
    But he's making a lot of sense when he talks - and he knows where the problems are with the car and what they should do to solve them.

OK.. so i just read that Williams also has Renault engines.. It seems that these engines have gone from being the slowest to somehow producing some sort of magic. You can see with Lotus and with the bulls last race and now with the Williams..

Where did the Williams come from?
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    OK.. so i just read that Williams also has Renault engines.. It seems that these engines have gone from being the slowest to somehow producing some sort of magic. You can see with Lotus and with the bulls last race and now with the Williams..

Where did the Williams come from?
    Nice Engine Freeze!

[QUOTE=anialonso;726775]Gary Anderson on wow Ferrari have developed their car and how they can further develop it..

Ferrari brought lots of new parts to the Spanish Grand Prix - including a new floor, revised rear bodywork and exhaust position and new front and rear wings - and it has obviously made a difference............

[B]

He's good that Gary Anderson I liked him from the start.
    I know some people - perhaps when English isn't their first language - find him difficult to understand, but I don't think it's his accent, he just needs to slow his speech down a bit.

Anyway, mostly even I can understand what he's saying about the engineering - and that takes some doing

"The other area is the front wing, particularly the endplate, which they are not using aggressively enough to turn the air off the front wing around the front wheels.
    Ferrari definitely have an aerodynamic deficit there, and I don't know why they are not going much further with the endplates in the manner of the other front-running teams. It suggests something is going wrong with their aerodynamic modelling and simulation."

Mr. Anderson should take a look at the Red Bull endplates. They are more simplistic than Ferrari's and appear to do even less to turn the flow around the front wheels. Yet you don't see him saying Red Bull has a problem with their aerodynamic modeling and simulation.

Dom says top speed is good now, but work still needed on traction. Expecting new Monaco only max df rear and front wings along with other stuff, but not much in terms of new package.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo