Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

traction been a issue from day one.

Hope new package for Montreal fix our aero issues!

Traction needs sorting, it will help a lot with tire management and exit from slow corners. Stefano has admitted it is a problem and in my opinion should be the focus for future development.
    Updates in Monaco will be minor, I've heard reports that Ferrari should be favorites there but I think to the contrary, we could well be back down the grid, not because the car is bad but because Monaco is all about traction. I anticipate a grid starting spot from 8th onwards. Strategy will be important here and makes all the difference.
    As for Canada, apparently we have another major upgrade there which looks promising, i do wonder what these upgrades will focus on since Montreal isn't like any other track, it will be interesting to see what we have in store. Crucial mentions the introduction of a DDRS, an element of potential performance increase which no other team has delved into yet...we will see. The rear of the car needs some work still, it looks very rough and i anticipate some more changes around the exhaust to make it more neat and tidy.
    Both drivers mentioned the fact that some parts were not brought to Mugello because they needed development time, i wonder whether these parts were introduced in Barcelona or not?
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by sav_pap View Post
    Hope new package for Montreal fix our aero issues!
    Well i hope so too, but i don't think Canada is an aero track at all. So any improvements in aero at Canada may not give a clear indication as to whether they work or not.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Isn't a big pack coming for Valencia also?

I think the fact that the car is a new concpet, is making developing this a little easier than the mclaren or RedBull, say.
    It is great this Pirelli lottery, so I hope McLaren continue screwing Lewis, and RedBull don't improve.
    Finish in front of these guys in Monaco,can't Canada, and the WDC looks very good.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Was just about to post that. It does look good, and since it was good at barcelona is a bonus.
    Still not as fast as McLaren, but getting there, and dare I say it, will be up there very soon.

Felipe Massa has said Ferrari gained about half a second with the parts to Gazzetta Dello Sport.
    Domenicali says that next step in Canada is hopefully a big one, and hopes it means the car can be quick whether it is cold or hot. Even so, Ferraris understanding and consistency with tyres is helping

And explanations of Ferrari parts in Spain, from Giorgio Piola in Autosprint, but in Italian.

All credit to @joseluisf1.
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 15th May 2012 at 13:27.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

were there any reports of when the next pack of updates will be?
    "Losing Michael from Formula One is not like losing your arm or leg. It’s like losing your torso. It’s like removing America from the world map and hoping that somehow Spain can fill the void." - Jeremy Clarkson

via AutoSprint

Diffuser with Curved Junctions

In Barcelona to complete the Mugello Update package Ferrari now has a new diffuser characterized by curved junctions (1) between the vertical strake and upper part of the diffuser to reduce turbulence in this area. The same vertical strakes are not L-shaped as before but rounded (2) to improve efficiency. Also changed is the gurney flap (3) at the top that actually increases the number of diffuser channels. Also new is the vertical extensions (4) in the lower part of the rear wing end plates which acts like an extension to the diffuser

Evolved Rear Wing

The new rear wing, introduced at Mugello with McLaren-style end plates and several horizontal slits in the top (top circle) and twisted beam wing used in Spain- also the addition of mini flap(monkey seat) that was used on the old Rear Wing in Bahrain increases down force

@c-man there will be minor modifications in Monaco, Specific Gear Ratios & Clutch, Suspension, Dampers, Steering Rack, front & rear wing modifications. Small things that are track dependent. Remember Monaco is a special and very different track compared to the rest of the calendar. The next true updates package will come in Canada. :))

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    @c-man there will be minor modifications in Monaco, Specific Gear Ratios & Clutch, Suspension, Dampers, Steering Rack, front & rear wing modifications. Small things that are track dependent. Remember Monaco is a special and very different track compared to the rest of the calendar. The next true updates package will come in Canada. :))
    Thanks
    "Losing Michael from Formula One is not like losing your arm or leg. It’s like losing your torso. It’s like removing America from the world map and hoping that somehow Spain can fill the void." - Jeremy Clarkson

Enrique Rodríguez ‏ @Truzonef1

According Auto-Hebdo, Loïc Bigois, Mercedes chief designer, Ferrari joins by recommendation of Tombazis (Vía @eloy_eg)
    Hope this is true

Quote Originally Posted by c-man View Post
    Thanks
    Jeremy Clarkson is not a god:)-America is still a very productive place, Michael..he is only a shadow

New diffuser analysis from Gary Anderson

I just wanna point you guys in the direction of a very interesting thread,comparing relative speeds at corners in Barcelona.

http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...&#entry5727257

So,the strongest points of F2012 are
    1-High speed corner performance,
    2-Fernando's talent in slow corners,
    3-Tyre warming and very well performing in rain
    I also want to add team is doing a great job in pit stops and the car is the best starts.

Weakness of F2012
    1-traction
    2-Top speed
    3-Lack of rear downforce

I proved myself again hehe :)) I wish all problems will be solved in Canada with that big update and DDRS

T van R Guest
    One important advantage that Ferrari F2012 has from the first race, is having more race pace with high fuel. This is an advantage that Lotus E20 & Red Bull RB7 don't have. But after all i would say the quickest car on the grid is McLaren MP4-27.
    Last edited by T van R; 19th May 2012 at 14:52.

Pat Fry says Ferrari has a few small updates for Monaco aside from the usual Monaco spec package. New Front Wing & Rear Wing Package for Canada and still working on exhaust system. Pat Fry says Ferrari will test new versions of the exhaust system.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Pat Fry says Ferrari has a few small updates for Monaco aside from the usual Monaco spec package. New Front Wing & Rear Wing Package for Canada and still working on exhaust system. Pat Fry says Ferrari will test new versions of the exhaust system.
    http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...g_news_n7.aspx
    This where you got it from?
    Thanks for info, looking good.

First picture is pretty much the best shot of the new rear brake ducts to date.

via Dream Theater

Good look at the vertical vane of the new brake ducts & the rear brake tub. Also good shot of stepped floor that's new for Montmelo

via Dream Theater

Review of the latest updates by Piola:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...a-4980428.html

T van R Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Review of the latest updates by Piola:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...a-4980428.html
    I read the review but i don't agree in one point. The way that article explains Ferrari F2012 before & after Spain updates is so naive. Review says Ferrari F2012 had bad design in first four races & then all of a sudden Ferrari turn all the things & made a good design, But the fact is that the Ferrari F2012 has a good baseline & new philosophy from the first moment of designing but because of lack of testings & wind tunnel problems, Ferrari F2012 project encountered with some problems that make the team to work on some areas. We saw the competitiveness of Ferrari F2012 in Malaysian GP & high fuel runs in first four races. So the car has good baseline & innovative philosophy from the first moment of designing & this competitiveness is the result of Ferrari personals efforts from the moment that they shift their attention to Ferrari F2012 project.
    Last edited by T van R; 23rd May 2012 at 06:52.

Quote Originally Posted by T van R View Post
    I read the review but i don't agree in one point. The way that article explains Ferrari F2012 before & after Spain updates is so naive. Review says Ferrari F2012 had bad design in first four races & then all of a sudden Ferrari turn all the things & made a good design, But the fact is that the Ferrari F2012 has a good baseline & new philosophy from the first moment of designing but because of lack of testings & wind tunnel problems, Ferrari F2012 project encountered with some problems that make the team to work on some areas. We saw the competitiveness of Ferrari F2012 in Malaysian GP & high fuel runs in first four races. So the car has good baseline & innovative philosophy from the first moment of designing & this competitiveness is the result of Ferrari personals efforts from the moment that they shift their attention to Ferrari F2012 project.
    the fact is that the F2012 has more development space than some other cars,and whit this years regs it will be crucial towards end of the season!

Quote Originally Posted by croALOfanclub View Post
    the fact is that the F2012 has more development space than some other cars,and whit this years regs it will be crucial towards end of the season!
    I think that is the most important think of all!

Totally agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by T van R View Post
    There were some bad designs on the F2012 such as the Acer duct, which failed to bring any benefits (exhaust had to be shifted after the idea failed to work), and yet the duct is there impeding airflow to the rear.

This is why we've now squeeze the duct inwards to achieve best airflow to the rear.

from thursday at monaco, anything new guys? can u tell me

Last edited by mugdoc; 25th May 2012 at 08:01.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...evolution.aspx

Great article, sorry I can't quote it.

shortend version of the one above from autosport who give a bit more http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4...osing_the_gap/
    just hope we can keep up the pace when we get up on terms, and not hit the development wall which seems to be the case in the red bull camp!!! all we are doing atm is copying, lets hope when whre on par we have more to give...forza ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by mugdoc View Post
    from thursday at monaco, anything new guys? can u tell me
    Well I can see a few differences from the two pictures posted above. I don't know how significant they are however.

~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    shortend version of the one above from autosport who give a bit more http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4...osing_the_gap/
    just hope we can keep up the pace when we get up on terms, and not hit the development wall which seems to be the case in the red bull camp!!! all we are doing atm is copying, lets hope when whre on par we have more to give...forza ferrari!

Copying lotus with rear end? I hope that is sorted in Montreal with the new one, which seems to be going there.