Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

I totally agree with this. It's all good having good race pace but when the tyres play such a vital role in race outcome it's important to be near the front so as to avoid the ill-effects which come from following cars in front in dirty air. Starting from the front will help Ferrari a great deal, for instance you get the benefit of controlling your own race pace but also those of your rivals, as demonstrated in Monaco by Mark Webber. I think Ferrari has the race pace sorted to a certain degree but Qualifying needs to improve, but by doing this they need to find the right balance between the two.

It's been too long since Ferrari have had a car on pole, I believe it was Singapore 2010. I hope the team can bring back the feeling of such an achievement to it's fans around the world.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

With the great start system and superfast pitstops, a pole position capable car would be of huge help in the title fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    In 2004, a majority of the downforce was produced by the floor due to aggressive diffuser designs which is why in the picture Ste posted, the rear wing is indeed smaller. The new diffuser we have today lost a large amount of downforce and we have to compensate with more aggressive rear wing. Canada needs downforce for the twisty section. Not to mention that the rear wing efficiency was reduced when we raised and narrow up the rear wing. This is why now the rear wing has to be large even in Canada.
    Agree.

Marc Gené said that in Monaco. Today's cars lack DF everywhere hence RW won't change as much this season. Only Monza could make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mugdoc View Post
    from thursday at monaco, anything new guys? can u tell me

the side exits on the exhaust outlets are new.

Awesome thread too.

Any latest news about the final updates coming to Canada this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by thegourou20 View Post
    Any latest news about the final updates coming to Canada this weekend?
    New rear and front wings are confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    New rear and front wings are confirmed.
    + further tweaks to exhausts.

DDRS?

Quote Originally Posted by fronaldo View Post
    DDRS?
    Doubt it. The gain is the minimal and it would be very difficult to integrate.

In order to be good in Canada you need top speed, good braking and good traction + good tyre management (as on all other tracks)
    I dont think that we will make some progress in top speeds yet (maybe later) but if we manage to further improve braking and traction than we have a chance for podium...

If we are bleeding heavily in terms of topspeeds I don't see why we shouldn't develop a DDRS.

Are you guys talking about the Mercedes DRS duct thing? Well that's only beneficial in qualifying. And the amount of redesigning required to integrate the duct into the car is too much for it to be worthy.

You can easily beat that advantage by finding more downforce which is useful all the time, not just in qualifying.

i think it will be too much for ferrari if they will try to incorporate the DDRS in their car with only minimal advantage on Saturdays and almost non existent on Sundays. and i believe that in order to fully optimize the DDRS on qualifying and race will be hard to setup
    Hell would have broken loose

AutoSprint reports that Ferrari will test the original version of the F2012 Exhaust in Montreal. Basically, similar to the version Fernando tested on the first day in Mugello. Obviously the Acer Duct version where the exhaust gasses get to the floor provides the most downforce. If it doesn't work, they can revert back to the Spain/Monaco solution which works well. Let's hope this modified/tweaked version works as intended. If so it could provide a significant leap in performance for the F2012 because there will be other parts introduced with this solution.

http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formul...hi+%22nuovi%22

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    AutoSprint reports that Ferrari will test the original version of the F2012 Exhaust in Montreal. Basically, similar to the version Fernando tested on the first day in Mugello. Obviously the Acer Duct version where the exhaust gasses get to the floor provides the most downforce. If it doesn't work, they can revert back to the Spain/Monaco solution which works well. Let's hope this modified/tweaked version works as intended. If so it could provide a significant leap in performance for the F2012 because there will be other parts introduced with this solution.

Hey Cruciaal_Xtreme,thanks for your latest developments feedback.Can you tell us what is the possibility of bringing DDRS to Canadian Gp?

I think they could just do what other teams are doing, and modify the outlets of the exhausts, and make them into a similar shape to Sauber or RedBull. That way, they get to keep their coke bottle.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    I think they could just do what other teams are doing, and modify the outlets of the exhausts, and make them into a similar shape to Sauber or RedBull. That way, they get to keep their coke bottle.
    Caleb Bradham (the creator of pepsi) is shedding tears right now in his grave lol...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Caleb Bradham (the creator of pepsi) is shedding tears right now in his grave lol...
    Don't worry Caleb. Prefer Pepsi!

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    Hey Cruciaal_Xtreme,thanks for your latest developments feedback.Can you tell us what is the possibility of bringing DDRS to Canadian Gp?
    It's possible, but I don't think it's likely. It is much work to get the car to have DDRS which includes new chassis tests and modification of many parts. Part of me thinks they may introduce DDRS soon, but the other part thinks it's too much trouble for too little gain. I think there are other areas the team should concentrate on that would give better gains in performance. That said, I don't think we see Ferrari DDRS in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Don't worry Caleb. Prefer Pepsi!
    Hahaha, well played
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

That took me by suprise, I thought the Acer ducts were 'draggy' and one of the reasons for the lack of top speed, I never thought they would try them again in a track like Canada. That shows how little I know about how aero works in a F1 car.
    The article even states that this exhaust configuration implies a little loss of engine power.

Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    That took me by suprise, I thought the Acer ducts were 'draggy' and one of the reasons for the lack of top speed, I never thought they would try them again in a track like Canada. That shows how little I know about how aero works in a F1 car.
    The article even states that this exhaust configuration implies a little loss of engine power.
    i thought the same too, plus a disruption to the coke bottle shape. Article is also correct - generally speaking, longer exhaust pipes = less engine power. However, Domenicalli said from the beginning of the season that the acer ducts (when they worked) did give significant performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    Yeah I think most of us Ferrari fans associate the Acer Ducts with drag. In all honesty we could be way off the mark but like you I was quite surprised. Let's also keep in mind AutoSprint hasn't exactly been reliable when it comes to Ferrari info this year so take it with a grain of salt mate.

That said if they do decide to run the Acer Ducts we may see revised sidepods and other bits. It's all a waiting game but we'll know soon. :))

With all the talk of holes/slots in the floor I figured I'd post a good picture of the F2012's slots. Very very small slot that you can't slide a piece of paper through... Forza Ferrari!

via Racecar Engineering

Whatever the updates are for this weekend i hope they work straight away. If not I hope they don't dwell one them too much and consequently not allow enough time to find perfect race setup for both drivers.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Great video which shows how Brembo, suppliers to Ferrari, make ceramic disc brakes

With all the talk of holes/slots in the floor I figured I'd post a good picture of the F2012's slots. Very very small slot that you can't slide a piece of paper through... Forza Ferrari!

via Racecar Engineering
    Those slots should only be one molecule in width!

OmniCorse confirm the Autosprint report:

Quote Originally Posted by OnmiCorse
    Ferrari back to discharges outer

Ferrari tries to make a quantum leap. The F2012 in Montreal presents the solution of discharges fitted in the outer position of the sides, just as was shown during the presentation.

The reds, then back to the old to attempt a jump forward: the strategy on paper should be relatively simple. Increasing the rear load (shortage of F2012 from the beginning of the Championship) with a greater influence of exhaust gases on the rear diffuser, in order to mount a seat/floor wing with less resistance.

On a track where traction coming out of the curve matters a lot, the Ferrari tries to make a change to its season, bringing in those ideas that were part of the original design (they were not wrong ...), but with regard to exhaust were put in the drawer because it flows hot they burned the ... tires.

Nicholas Tombazis and aerodynamic, finally succeeded in running streams so as to ensure that there is the sudden firing of the rear cover, so the F2012 can hope to exploit its full potential again.

At Maranello have abandoned the idea of ​​changing the radiators (the package vertical is too compact and does not permit a good passage of air adequate, so the fluid inside of the sidepods is not too efficient), looking for, instead, adding to the functional everything else.

Just to counter the growth of everyone else? We'll find out in the Gp of Canada ...
    http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/186...erni-in-canada

Quote Originally Posted by Brakefade View Post
    Those slots should only be one molecule in width!
    Smart guys they are at Ferrari..

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    OmniCorse confirm the Autosprint report:
    We've been doing well in Barcelona and Monaco with the new slimmer side pod.

I hope this doesn't set us back even if just for one race. The points are too important for us to flip flop here and there.