Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    We've been doing well in Barcelona and Monaco with the new slimmer side pod.

I hope this doesn't set us back even if just for one race. The points are too important for us to flip flop here and there.
    totally agree, maybe having a simpler exhaust solution which doesn't disrupt the airflow is an easier car for both massa and alonso to drive and push to the limits, just hoping this new solution makes it both easier and faster! hope this doesn't act as a set back to massa who was slowly finding his feet with the spain/monacco spec!!!

Wouldn't be surprised to see Massa and Alonso race different race cars.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    I would be. I would think Fernando is the one who is going to test the different/newer version of the exhaust and if it's clearly better than the Spain/Monaco spec, I can't see Felipe not wanting which ever one gives the best performance. But I could be wrong. Felipe knows he needs good results and will decide on the package which provides the most performance.

As for bringing back the Acer Ducts if that's what happens in Canada, is somewhat concerning but I think if they do this then they must obviously feel strongly about the performance gains of using it. I think if we do see it, it'll be similar to what we saw in Mugello which by all reports worked well. Not much longer to find out.

Wouldn't be the first time. I recall Rubens getting the old car a few times...

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time. I recall Rubens getting the old car a few times...
    Well, i didn't mean it in a bad way. I meant to say that Alonso may opt for the newer exhaust whilst Massa may want to remain with the old configuration in order to continue and protect his recent good form.

Well, i didn't mean it in a bad way. I meant to say that Alonso may opt for the newer exhaust whilst Massa may want to remain with the old configuration in order to continue and protect his recent good form.
    No problem, amico mio

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

I wouldn't be too, since new parts often suits the style of one and don't to the style of the other. Fine tuning is what happens, before a good update is finally adapted in the car, so as to both drivers feel well with it.

Actually, Felipe had different parts on several occasions this year. For example Felipe raced the new turning vanes under the nose in Monaco while Fernando didn't and they had also different front and rear wings several times.

Nice post about Ferrari exhaust evolution from my Greek friend Michalis K. (@bar555onF1)

If you look at the picture I posted earlier of the floor today in Montreal and then look back to a picture from Mugello you can see the curved vertical strake on the floor has made an appearance for testing in Canada. This has only been used in Mugello when Fernando tested out the long exhaust extension-silver turning vane next to tyre-curved vertical strake

Montreal

Original

Mugello

I posted this in the Montreal picture thread but it might as well go in here too. McLaren style exhaust

so their not really the original accer ducts are they?!?!? just incorperated into the accer tube with a mclaren exit?!?! confused :s

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    so their not really the original accer ducts are they?!?!? just incorperated into the accer tube with a mclaren exit?!?! confused :s
    No, not really the original acer ducts, it's basically the same exhaust used in Spain/Monaco but now with a McLaren style Coanda ramp.

WOW, never saw this coming. It looks ugly but whatever works!

Looks like there's some further sculpting to the sidepods as well.

That's probably the best solution. Channeling the exhaust gas to the best use without the bulky Acer duct.

Even if this only gives Ferrari 2 tenths, that will be enough to make huge leaps in the pack. Hell, if it gives them any performance advantage it will make a big difference.

With McLaren's endless ups this year and Vettel being no where this will likely give Alonso the clear advantage.

Wow, that's a surprise. Hope it will work as expected. However Scarbs wrote about this possibility some time ago. (Link)

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    McLaren style exhaust
    Yeah it looks very similar to Mclaren style, but I believe that McLaren blow the diffuser while Ferrari would try to blow the brake ducts, hence they have modified them to prevent overheating of rear tyres

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Wow, that's a surprise. Hope it will work as expected. However Scarbs wrote about this possibility some time ago. (Link)
    His prediction was correct

While everyone's busy fiddling with the exhaust positioning, Williams seem to be working on their rear wings.

1339103718.jpg

Yes, but this is " Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread"

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Yes, but this is " Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread"
    Well then can't we talk about the new updates/development progress based on these photos??

Montreal upgrades for Ferrari, Williams and McLaren

Jun.8 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Lots of new and shiny upgrades could be seen in the Montreal paddock on Thursday.

Spanish sports daily Marca said the new exhaust on Ferrari’s car is a refined version of what the Italian team intended to debut on the F2012 at the start of the season.

Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport said it is similar to McLaren’s solution.

“How much better (it is) is difficult to say, we just need to try it,” said Felipe Massa, who will back-to-back test the configuration alongside Fernando Alonso on Friday.

Over at Barcelona winner Williams’ garage, a reportedly radical rear wing is ready to run.

“Especially in the activated DRS position,” said Auto Motor und Sport, “it will bring more top speed.”

McLaren’s Montreal upgrade is comparatively minor, but it is designed to cut out troublesome pitstop errors.

It is the Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari-style ‘nut-in-the-wheel’ solution, which made its debut in the McLaren pit area only on the rear wheels in Monaco.

Reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel said on Thursday he thinks F1’s top teams will soon stop the ‘lottery’ that has been seen so far in 2012.

“Perhaps Lewis Hamilton or even Michael Schumacher will win a race now,” said the Red Bull driver, admitting an unprecedented seventh different winner could win the seventh race of 2012.

But he added: “I think the ‘lottery’ will stop here, or at the latest in Valencia. I don’t think we are going to see 20 different winners,” smiled Vettel.
    #KeepFightingMichael | #CiaoJules

The new exhaust looks very different from the original Acer duct to me, rather than just a refine version.

Found this on another site

not sure if it's a fake

It's not fake, it's the new exhausts that will be tested today, let's hope it delivers the expected result.
    Ferrari have been struggling with mastering the exhausts for many months, so as soon as we can find a good solution we can move on to other parts of the car that need improving.

That floor on the Ferrari looks very shiny

That floor on the Ferrari looks very shiny
    It's always been that way for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad-Ferrari View Post
    It's always been that way for a few years now.
    I don't why i just noticed it now.

Does anyone have any concrete information on the Byrne floor that was supposed to be introduced at the start of the season but was never raced because the exhaust wasn't working as initially intended?