Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

If Ferrari keep this up, everyone will be changing their front suspension..

according to F1.com "Ferrari also brought new versions of their front and rear wings to Germany, but opted to use the older front wing for qualifying and the race."

Hopefully thats not a bad sign for ongoing development. It does seem like we've been struggling to develop the front wing for some time now.

Article on Ferrari's Update in Germany...

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...2/873/982.html

Quote Originally Posted by eugene22n View Post
    according to F1.com "Ferrari also brought new versions of their front and rear wings to Germany, but opted to use the older front wing for qualifying and the race."

Hopefully thats not a bad sign for ongoing development. It does seem like we've been struggling to develop the front wing for some time now.
    exactly mate, just hoping we dont reach the development wall as we can no longer just copy and paste body work onto our car, tghis front wing dilema has gone on for two races now, maybe the rain?!/ lets hope so!

I think Fernando opted to run the new FW in FP3 at Hockenheim but then complained of loose rear end . So, he again reverted back to the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    exactly mate, just hoping we dont reach the development wall as we can no longer just copy and paste body work onto our car, tghis front wing dilema has gone on for two races now, maybe the rain?!/ lets hope so!
    i personally don't think there is something wrong with teh new front wing, is just that there was NOT enough time in free practice to test it and analyze it at both silverstone and germany due to bad weather.

keep in mind that they (ferrari) need to do back to back comparison on both old and new wings before they decide which one they use during quali and race.

and for this to happen WE need dry weather, because only then the driver can go FLAT out and do a comparison when the engineers look at the numbers and compare the TWO.

hopefully this weekend will be HOT and dry in Budapest and we'll be able to do JUST THAT, compare the two wing setups.

and don't you worry guys, FERRARI is pushing now more then ever wiht the developments
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

with regards to the front wing!....http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4...ays_no_racing/

Quote Originally Posted by Retroblue View Post
    I think Fernando opted to run the new FW in FP3 at Hockenheim but then complained of loose rear end . So, he again reverted back to the old one.
    That could be a very good indication that the new front wing is too good !!Could be what we need for the next race if Ferrari can balance the rear with more downforce..

Sorry if been posted before, but here is an interesting F1 tech article on the new front wing.

Ferrari's new front wing: 3 Fridays, no racing

Since their major car update at the European GP in Valencia, Ferrari have been testing a new version of its front wing. Since then, the wing has appears in every free practice session on Friday and Saturday, on both cars, but at no occasion has it been used to race. While the visual changes do not seem to be major, the new wing certainly has an interesting influence on the car's balance given that the team prefer to test it a little bit longer. Of course, the rain in Silverstone and Hockenheim have not helped the Scuderia in this respect.

Either way, the new wing has a smoother curve on the trailing edge of the upper flap. The stacked element was reduced in size slightly, but it seems that the changes around the endplate are most important for this update. The new iteration features much larger apertures that allow air flowing outward of the endplates to be sucked into the low pressure area underneat the front wing's flaps. There, is is flowing faster and upward, generating downforce.

Along with the angled front wing adjuster, air getting underneath the outer extremities of the wing is used for downforce and at the same time directed as much as possible around the front wheels. This should help reduce drag a little bit but can also greatly influence the car's balance as it will change the flow field in the wake of the front wheels.

Further proof of the importance of this area is the cut in the flap of the stacked element where it joins the endplate - aside of the Shell logo, as marked with an arrow. This cut is specifically designed to reduce the strenght of the vortex that comes off of the front wing at the arrow's location. While this reduces somewhat the downforce generation of the stacked winglet, it reduces the amount of air that is spilled over the top of the endplate. This, again, would have an - apparently unwanted - influence on the flow around the front wheel.
    Article written by Tomba.
    http://www.f1technical.net/development/370

I would say that if they wanted to run it, they could have added more rear wing, but with the wet weather a proper setup couldn't be established. We all know Ferrari maybe had too much top speed advantage, or if they ran that wing, they may not have won.

As it is, I expect it to be raced in Hungary, as like they say, it is like Monaco, so top speed won't matter, and they can add the wing to balance out the downforce generated from the front wing.

But it is a nice problem to have, making parts that produce too much downforce

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Dear Scuderiafan,do i understand true please correct me if i am wrong.This frontwing working well
    But it generates front downforce too much and it causes a balance problem between rear and front so i mean we need to add more downforce on rear.The wing also helps us to reduce drag.According to this we gain more top speed.seems car is not ready to use not the wing is it?i guess we will see it in Spa or tracks where has long straights...

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    i guess we will see it in Spa or tracks where has long straights...
    Did anyone said Monza??

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    Dear Scuderiafan,do i understand true please correct me if i am wrong.This frontwing working well
    But it generates front downforce too much and it causes a balance problem between rear and front so i mean we need to add more downforce on rear.The wing also helps us to reduce drag.According to this we gain more top speed.seems car is not ready to use not the wing is it?i guess we will see it in Spa or tracks where has long straights...
    , that is exactly what has been said.

btw, Pirelli are bringing the soft and supersoft tyres to Hungaroring. Fernando showed a lot better pace on the soft tyre compared to Button and Vettel, and had better degradation. so hopefully this continues.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by sav_pap View Post
    Did anyone said Monza??
    No,it's just my prediction

Fernando Alonso drove the perfect race at Hockenheim. Up to three rounds, he led the entire Grand Prix of Germany. Constantly he was under fire. First of Vettel, Button then. The Spaniards defended himself like a champion. "We have improved the happiness in our former weaknesses and top speed traction strong. I did not have the fastest car in the field, but it was fast enough to stay ahead."

Sebastian Vettel noted. "On the open road I could have run faster than Fernando. But once I was in the slipstream of the Ferrari came, my car was restless. why I could never touch it. "
    http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...s-5247171.html

if any doubt was needed that top speed and traction was solved.

Spa should be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post

Spa should be amazing.

Fantastic!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Spa should be amazing.
    Thank you very much.

Let's see what's new for Hungary!

Sorry if been posted before, but here is an interesting F1 tech article on the new front wing.

Ferrari's new front wing: 3 Fridays, no racing

Article written by Tomba.
    http://www.f1technical.net/development/370

I would say that if they wanted to run it, they could have added more rear wing, but with the wet weather a proper setup couldn't be established. We all know Ferrari maybe had too much top speed advantage, or if they ran that wing, they may not have won.

As it is, I expect it to be raced in Hungary, as like they say, it is like Monaco, so top speed won't matter, and they can add the wing to balance out the downforce generated from the front wing.

But it is a nice problem to have, making parts that produce too much downforce

agreed...
    AKROCKS

Hey guys,
    Any news on what updates do we have for hungary???
    Mclaren are bringing further upgrades...

Ferrari need to bring a major upgrade to pull away from the pack...

dont expect much in hungary besides fine tuning the 3 different front wings we keep bringing to the last 2 races
    usually major upgrades are introduced at SPA after the summer break..

I dont think anybody can pull away from a pack. Truth is we didnt have time on FPs to evaluate new wing, and could be rainy in Hungary next week too....
    As Fernando said, we still dont have fastest car on grid, but askyouselfs - Who is fastest?

Quote Originally Posted by mostar red army View Post
    I dont think anybody can pull away from a pack. Truth is we didnt have time on FPs to evaluate new wing, and could be rainy in Hungary next week too....
    As Fernando said, we still dont have fastest car on grid, but askyouselfs - Who is fastest?
    According to Button, he thinks he is the fastest.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101427
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by mostar red army View Post
    ..one driver comes to my mind, and that is Fernando; he doesn't need to have the fastest car.
    like i've been saying all along, if we have a car within 2-3 tenths off the fastest, Fernando will do the rest.
    and as we've seen so far, he's able to manage that JUST FINE...

can you imagine what he would do with a car that was fastest??? i can...pole after pole after pole after pole and then converted to WIN after WIN after WIN after WIN....well you get my drift
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    According to Button, he thinks he is the fastest.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101427

LMFAO at that comment....button should just Shut the Up....and worry ONLY about Lewis beating his ass all this season..
    Last edited by Greig; 24th July 2012 at 16:11. Reason: Fully star out any swearing please!

Is McLaren now copying back from Ferrari?

On McLaren MP4-27 At GP Germany
    McLaren's car updates have pushed the car back up in between the front runners, and unsurprisingly, the improvement came once again from exhaust modifications. McLaren redesigned the sidepod to have the exhaust exit lower above the ground and further back, creating a more consistent flow onto the outer extremities of the diffuser.

In essence, McLaren's update appears to be influenced by Ferrari's famous acer ducts, something which the MP4-27 now features as well. The ducts are sloping down and feature an undercut of the sidepod, allowing air to flow underneath the tail of the duct and towards the centre of the car. The resemblance is striking, and particularly interesting because it was Ferrari that initially copied McLaren's downwash exhaust exit.

In addition to the sidepod, the fins at the bottom of the rear wing endplate have been modified as well. Again, these work in combination with the diffuser to generate downforce at the rear end of the car.

Mclaren have already stated that they are bringing even more updates at the next gp, my only worry is, in the hands of lewis the car would be even quicker than jenson as we saw, should we be worried?!?! i'm really hoping we havnt slowed down on the development...mclaren r upping their game!

The red bull was not faster than Alonso.. If that was the case would they not have been able to jump us during the pit stop?
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    The red bull was not faster than Alonso.. If that was the case would they not have been able to jump us during the pit stop?
    Good point, actually.

Was that not due to alonso pitting earlier for fresher tyres while Vettels were shot??
    "That has made me fall in love with Ferrari even more today than ever." Fernando Alonso

The redbull was definitely faster than the ferrari..
    Alonso managed to be ahead because he pitted early(1st time)and the next time they pitted on the same lap..

To tell you the truth i really donīt believe the we where slower then the others!!I think that alo was just to conservative in all race cause of the unknown of the behavior of the tires!!!!!and I say that because in the last 3-4 laps he was pulling away from the others quite fast and he end up setting his personal best(2nd overall) on the 2nd to last lap!!and it was half a sec faster then vettels!!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!