Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    The last corner we were waiting ages to get on the power, others the car was planted.
    I watch races on ORF1 (Austrian TV) just because they have no commercial brakes. As a plus side they have Alex Wurz as a commentator. As you all know he is working for Williams team. He said that looking at Ferrari the whole weekend that on flat surface we are very strong and quick, but on the parts of track that have a lot of uneven road surface (waves) we are slow. Don't think it is traction but rather a compromised setup setting.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    Anyone smarter than be has tried to analyze this track to figure out what about it made it so much different from the previous 2 races.. Was it really the track that potrayed our weaknesses?

Did anyone notice at what parts of the track were we loosing time? How often do these sectors kinds of sectors show up in following races?
    It was the 3rd sector that we were loosing most of the time..and this is not only with this race but in all the races we were slow when it comes to slow speed corners and when traction is req to get out of those corners...
    AKROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Salvador Dali View Post
    I watch races on ORF1 (Austrian TV) just because they have no commercial brakes. As a plus side they have Alex Wurz as a commentator. As you all know he is working for Williams team. He said that looking at Ferrari the whole weekend that on flat surface we are very strong and quick, but on the parts of track that have a lot of uneven road surface (waves) we are slow. Don't think it is traction but rather a compromised setup setting.
    I think what he meant was that Pull rod suspension is more sensitive to bumps compared to Push rod

Quote Originally Posted by anupa2k View Post
    It was the 3rd sector that we were loosing most of the time..and this is not only with this race but in all the races we were slow when it comes to slow speed corners and when traction is req to get out of those corners...
    It is not a traction problem. The traction and top speed issues have to a rather large extent been addressed.

Canada, Monaco, Valencia, Germany all have very slow turns (tight hairpins) where traction is tantamount to a good lap. Have a look at the performance at those tracks and you will notice that traction is no longer an issue especially in race conditions.

The nature of the last 2 turns in Hungary is what screwed a very understeery car not the traction because neither driver could apply the throttle soon enough. The car was washing out on its front wheels and hence wasn't pointed in the right direction in order to get on the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    I think what he meant was that Pull rod suspension is more sensitive to bumps compared to Push rod
    Well it could be the pull rod, but this is something that in my opinion is related to the rear of the car and there all have pull rod. I don't know if this is really it. But than again I'm no expert so don't mind me!

It seems that we have again problems with the wind tunnel according with autosprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    It seems that we have again problems with the wind tunnel according with autosprint.
    Very bad news IF true. Ferrari have brought new pieces to the last 3 or 4 GP that didn't work. Maybe it's not a problem of "ideas" but making them work.

Hard and medium tyres to be used in the next two rounds...am i correct in saying we prefer the harder compounds?!?!?! last allocated in malaysia!

yup..that should be a relief...the lotuses hate hard tyre...

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Remember last year when they ran an unsafe setup for the tyres, then blamed Pirelli, asking for more sets?
    And now Pirelli is bringing their hard and medium compounds to Spa because of that controversy. Sigh...

Summary of Autosprint article:
    - this week is crucial for preparation of updates for Spa and Monza
    - 2 new wings and DDRS (presumably Lotus-like) for Spa
    - problem with data from track/windtunnel regarding new FW
    - Button and Raikonnen as possible Massa replacements
    - Evolution and production as 2 main problems for Ferrari
    - Massa will try to keep his seat with a help from his sponsor TNT

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    Summary of Autosprint article:
    - this week is crucial for preparation of updates for Spa and Monza
    - 2 new wings and DDRS (presumably Lotus-like) for Spa
    - problem with data from track/windtunnel regarding new FW
    - Button and Raikonnen as possible Massa replacements
    - Evolution and production as 2 main problems for Ferrari
    - Massa will try to keep his seat with a help from his sponsor TNT

DDR? FW?

EDIT: FW=Front Wing?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Double diffuser and yes Front Wing :)

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    Double diffuser and yes Front Wing :)
    Double diffuser? Did you ment Double Drag Reduction System?

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Thanks guys

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Double diffuser? Did you ment Double Drag Reduction System?
    Of course I need another cup of coffee :)

We need to keep developing the car we are approaching a big part in the season where we either win the championship or lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
    We need to keep developing the car we are approaching a big part in the season where we either win the championship or lose it.
    You don't say!!

Yes, front wing on and off seems like a correlation issue. For some reason I think we are much harder on our tyres than others, especially the softs. Could be due to an under steering car being offset through high camber. That ought to be fixed before we get to more hot venues.

How reliable is Autosprint normally?
    Forza Jules

Not very IMO
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Not very IMO
    *puts away Valium for now*
    Forza Jules

So the new front wings are not working as expected. They have tested them for a long time and havent raced them yet. In Hungary they even measured air flow in the area behind the front wing:

As for the updates I guess it is too late to design something new for Spa and Monza as those updates have been already in the pipeline for some time. So new ideas developed during the summer break may be raced at some point later during Asian races. Let's hope Ferrari can turn the trend and they have a good package for the next 2 races.

Quote Originally Posted by anupa2k View Post
    Should the track characteristics have put RedBull further ahead than where they ended up? Could the engine map ban be effecting them a lot more than what the race showed?
    we're number one

Well it wasn a traction issue but more due to the front of the car not turning sharply ie understeer. They had to wait a lot more than the other teams to put the power down.Traction does not seem to be a issue anymore as we saw in Germany turn 2.

Marko: Rivals copy Red Bull or want our innovations banned

Helmut Marko speaking his mind

Aug.1 (GMM) The paddock reports about Red Bull cheating are fuelled by jealousy from rival Formula One teams, according to the team’s somewhat controversial consultant, Helmut Marko.

So far in 2012, the reigning champions – who have design guru Adrian Newey heading the technical side of the team – have been at the centre of most of F1′s technical controversies, including holes in the floor, wheel hubs, engine mapping and ride height adjusters.

In a headline-writer’s dream, team boss Christian Horner let his temper slip this week when German reports quoted him as denouncing the sagas as “bull”.

And Austrian Marko, who is team owner Dietrich Mateschitz’s right hand man, denied in an interview with the German broadcaster RTL that Red Bull is overly “aggressive” when it comes to interpreting the rules.

“We are just more creative,” he said. “We live within the regulations, but of course we also see how we can make them work best for us.”

Marko said “other teams” are simply not as good as Red Bull on that front.

“When they see us do something, they either copy it or they try to have it forbidden,” he said.

“The jealousy and envy that we see in the paddock is because we have won for the past two years, and because we are not a traditional racing team.

“I think this has fed this resentment and these attempts to disturb us in some way,” he added.

The latest controversy emerged in Hungary, and related to an FIA directive in Canada ordering Red Bull to stop using a device that in theory allowed mechanics to adjust the right-height of the car without using a tool.

The suspicion was that the team might have been able to surreptitiously make performance adjustments to the RB8 in the parc ferme conditions between qualifying and the race.

Marko, however, told Auto Motor und Sport that the matter is simple, “We have never made adjustments by hand. I don’t know why the others get so upset — we happen to know that Ferrari used something like that for a year.”
    Subbed by AJN.

Did we?!?!...regarding the bold bit, last line!

I don't know but it's nothing to do with F2012 development
    Forza Ferrari

I think 2012 will be a winning year at last.

that idiot constantly refers to Ferrari to re-direct attention.. Guess he must find the same jealously and resentment towards us.

just because he is rich doesnt make him eccentric. He is an idiot just like the rest of them.
    we're number one

Will Ferrari introduce contracted side-pod and exhaust pipe via adjusted floor in SPA reduce mechanical loses?Also i heard we will use engine aim as it was used on F10.Seems we try to make exhaust pipe shorter as we did in Mugello right?We struggle for rear end grip because of by placing the exhaust at the rearmost point the ‘coke bottle’ zone was crowded, making it difficult to get a consistent low pressure zone above the diffuser.Any news about it?