Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Excuse me?
    What is there to be excused? He's just saying Alonso's clever.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre B View Post
    “This will be a very intense week because there will also be action on track at Magny-Cours, where there is a young drivers’ test going on. For us there will be Jules Bianchi and Davide Rigon, who will take turns at the wheel of the F2012.2" - Montezemolo
    This F2012.2 is a mistake or is something like B spec??
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Ive never heard of it, but Id like to..

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Just noticed this thread has over half a million views
    Thats great, although half of them are probably from Mac engineeeers

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Sorry, mistake...

Looking at the original article that is just a typing error.
    I can not wait to see the Singapore update. Hope we will not be dissapointed with its size and performance boost.

not that its really relevent, but mercades have a major upgrade package for singapore, its been a while since they brought parts to the car as they concentrated on tyre evaluation, ecpect them to be up their with their new ferrari style exhause, lotus passive f-duct and other body work elements, who knows, this may be good for us as they could take points away from the likes of kimi etc!

Mercedes will test a major upgrade package during Magny-Cours F1 test

Mercedes will test a major upgrade to its car at Magny-Cours this week, AUTOSPORT can reveal, as it bids to end its season on a high.

After a recent spell where it has focused on improving its understanding of tyres rather than delivering updates, Mercedes plans to trial an all-new exhaust system as well as revised double-DRS during this week's Young Driver Test.

AUTOSPORT has learned that as well as continuing the evaluation of the Lotus-style double-DRS that it trialled in Belgium, the Mercedes W03 will feature its version of the Coanda-type exhaust that has been put to such good use by McLaren, Ferrari and Sauber this season.

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn told AUTOSPORT that the outfit had perhaps neglected car development too much recently.

"We weren't understanding the tyres and concluded that the most effective thing we could do, rather than go straight to a Coanda-system, was to understand the tyres, to get them a bit more under control," he said.

"Perhaps we should have done both in parallel but we concentrated on what we thought was the most important thing.

"We're much better at managing the tyres and we've actually had races where we've made our tyres last better than some of our competitors, which was not the case at the beginning of the year.

"We have also done work in the wind tunnel which, with our new 60 per cent model, has helped us understand more about that type of exhaust system. That's what we'll be evaluating this week."

Brawn said that the Coanda exhaust - which makes use of the tendency of fluid jets to be attracted to nearby surfaces to divert exhaust flow down to the floor - would help the W03 in slow speed corners.

"We think that's quite significant in low speed traction," he said. "The effect of the exhaust is more significant at lower speeds than higher speeds, and also brings you the balance perhaps you need for the rear tyre."

Brawn also said that if tests of its new double-DRS are positive then the plan is to race it as soon as possible.

"There is still a long way to go," he said. "There are some races later in the year where that philosophy might be quite useful.

"It's a passive system – and can only work in certain combinations of corners. With the Ascari chicane at Monza, it was a bit quick to be able to use it there.

"It's about how you use it on track and it's not suitable for all tracks. It has to be tuned and the tuning is a challenge."

The new version of double-DRS allows wings to be stalled at a set speed for a straight-line speed boost.

However, teams need to be able to ensure that the speed it works at is greater than the fastest bend on the track – so downforce is not lost when it is needed most for cornering.

Mercedes test driver Sam Bird is scheduled to drive for the first two days of this week's Magny-Cours test, and could stay for a third day if the programme is not completed.

If the work is ticked off, however, then it is understood that Brendon Hartley could be brought in for a run on Thursday.

Looking forward to see what Ferrari test at Magny Cours

when is that test happening

Quote Originally Posted by Red passion View Post
    when is that test happening
    11th-13th
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Sorry, mistake...
    Ok mate but i would prefer not to be!!!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

So the Magny-Cours test starts tomorrow

Ok,so have the Scuderia tested any new parts today??? There's hardly any news on the test itself...and there's been a rumour that ferrari are testing a new engine coolant...i hope the upgrades which they bring to singapore will help in improving the car's performance,especially in quali...alonso's average quali position has been roughly 6,which is simply not good enough. He will need to qualify consistently on the first 2 rows to challenge the Maccas who are incredible in quali...

New front wing:

Old:

New front wing:
    Look at the difference of camera position on FM and FA 's cars.
    Look like FA's front right tyre was more worn than left and FM was vice versa.

Camera positions are same on Fernandos and Felipes cars. Their both front right tyres have about the same deg, but, Felipes left has abit more deg on it.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Camera positions are same on Fernandos and Felipes cars. Their both front right tyres have about the same deg, but, Felipes left has abit more deg on it.
    I think he ment the upper camera mounted on the air intake above driver's head.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Yes, on the air intake. Can somebody explain ?

I think they had different camber angle both rear and front.
    Last edited by bluesilhouettes; 12th September 2012 at 18:36.

Attachment 4939
    tell your opinion!!!!!!I personally dont know if i love it or i hate it!!!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Attachment 4939
    looks like one of thos le mans audi cars! no way! kimi summed it up perfectly...if you dont want to take the risk then dont race, somebody will quickly take your place!

No Biggy!

Ferrari using clever foot activated DRS pedal

It has emerged that Ferrari is using a clever foot activated switch to trigger the DRS system on their F2012.”

Auto Motor und Sport said drivers for most other teams trigger the rear wing flap with a button on the steering wheel.

But renowned F1 technical illustrator Giorgio Piola has learned that, when Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are between corners and therefore not braking, their left foots can trigger DRS with a switch to the left of the brake pedal.

When they want to stop the car, their left foot is therefore automatically taken off the DRS pedal – therefore returning the wing to its normal position – when they apply the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    No Biggy!

Ferrari using clever foot activated DRS pedal

It has emerged that Ferrari is using a clever foot activated switch to trigger the DRS system on their F2012.”

Auto Motor und Sport said drivers for most other teams trigger the rear wing flap with a button on the steering wheel.

But renowned F1 technical illustrator Giorgio Piola has learned that, when Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa are between corners and therefore not braking, their left foots can trigger DRS with a switch to the left of the brake pedal.

When they want to stop the car, their left foot is therefore automatically taken off the DRS pedal – therefore returning the wing to its normal position – when they apply the brake.
    MERC and MAC used it since last season.
    Last edited by bluesilhouettes; 12th September 2012 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesilhouettes View Post
    MERC and MAC used it since last season.
    I heard about Ferrari using foot too long ago, or was it F-duct?

Attachment 4939
    I like it :o

Does anyone knows what are going to be supposed big updates for Singapore race?

Yep, Fry and Tombazis know for sure. All other is guesswork. If you like modified front and rear wings, modified floor with diffuser, some vanes here and there, engine maps, some tweak to inner components and electronics.

Sure, they know all, go ask them directly.

Apparently this coming update is massive. The team seem very confident about its gains. I hope they are correct.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Does anyone knows what are going to be supposed big updates for Singapore race?
    Word on the street is a flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion.