Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
    Word on the street is a flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion.
    Joke aside, but Ferrari really need something that will make them at least 0.3 sec per lap faster, and help FA and FM qualify in first two rows...

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Joke aside, but Ferrari really need something that will make them at least 0.3 sec per lap faster, and help FA and FM qualify in first two rows...
    I somehow have a feeling that we’ll get massive speed from this package; just like we got from the one after the Mugello test.
    Ferrari has been working on this package for quite some time now (more than 2 months is my guess), and they know this BIG upgrade is do or die for them for the remaining of the championship.

So let’s all hope that this will be a step forward, and by that I mean the RED cars find some huge speed that catapults us to the FRONT…
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    Apparently this coming update is massive. The team seem very confident about its gains. I hope they are correct.
    Looking at shots from the Magny-Cours test, they didn't test anything visible that could be described as 'massive'. They tried multiple front wings, including a higher downforce version of the cascade-less design used at Spa/Monza. They also tested with what appeared to be the Monaco max downforce rear wing.

If they have a 'massive' update coming, they chose not to show their cards at the young driver test.

that's disappointing i guess. Why would you not maximize your time on track?
    Is the rumors about the big updates a hoax?
    we're number one

IMO if we didnt see much at the young driver test we wont see much at singapore...we all know ferrari love their real life track testing, so why not bolt the parts on the car at the test! I personally think we will see a new front wing and changes to the rear...but other teams have also stated that they are bringing bg packages to singapore! Monaco seemed to be good for us...lets hope singapore is aswell, if not, safety car which actually works in our favour please!

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    No they are not a hoax, Fry has spoke about them, Stefano has said the team has a big push with updates every race to secure the title.

Maybe just maybe they are not ready for the car yet, and if they are did not fancy letting rookies test them They said they would use this test to make sure real life data is the same as they are seeing on the computer and wind tunnel. A lot of work to do. I doubt we are going to see a massive change, the car is pretty much working we just need to find a bit more speed. We are now in a position where finding tenths of a second is a lot harder than before when we needed to find seconds.
    Forza Ferrari

How do we measure time improvements from updates these days? There's no optimum window of tyre performance (in race spec) to compare against anymore. Reducing degradation but maintaining high pace is equally as important. I'd like an update that makes us 3 places per race faster. The maths is easier Whatever we come with, lets just please keep in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
    How do we measure time improvements from updates these days? There's no optimum window of tyre performance (in race spec) to compare against anymore. Reducing degradation but maintaining high pace is equally as important. I'd like an update that makes us 3 places per race faster. The maths is easier Whatever we come with, lets just please keep in the fight.
    In qualifying, raw pace is still important. We've seen Ferrari usually have better pace in the race, but we could still use some improvement in qualifying.

Monza is a different track with high speed low downforce setup, so I think we cannot conclude that we've solved our qualifying pace from that race since come Singapore and the subsequent tracks, we're back to high downforce setup. We need those updates to work and give us better raw pace.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    Maybe because the tracks are so different, and putting the Singapore updates on round Magny-Cours wouldnt really tell us anything. Just been few days of data collecting, and testing few front wings. Come FFP1, the team will know what the parts should be doing from the simulator running.

As Greig said, Stefano has said that there will be updates coming to the car every race now till the end.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    In qualifying, raw pace is still important. We've seen Ferrari usually have better pace in the race, but we could still use some improvement in qualifying.

Monza is a different track with high speed low downforce setup, so I think we cannot conclude that we've solved our qualifying pace from that race since come Singapore and the subsequent tracks, we're back to high downforce setup. We need those updates to work and give us better raw pace.
    All honestly, i would have race pace over 1 lap quali pace. As long as we quali in top 5 the win is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    All honestly, i would have race pace over 1 lap quali pace. As long as we quali in top 5 the win is possible.

Quote.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Young drivers test was 1st chance to get better correlation. friday practice is for back to back checks with updates and mid season test was a desperate need to get in the game. To test Singapor parts would be short sited as with poor correlation all future updates would be compromised not to mention design of next years car. Next test is now pre season and don't want repeat of this year. Correlation is all important. This may be reason that 3 or 4 races after Mugello test development started to stall with testing of new wings not working and thus losing ground on rivals on downforce tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    Young drivers test was 1st chance to get better correlation. friday practice is for back to back checks with updates and mid season test was a desperate need to get in the game. To test Singapor parts would be short sited as with poor correlation all future updates would be compromised not to mention design of next years car. Next test is now pre season and don't want repeat of this year. Correlation is all important. This may be reason that 3 or 4 races after Mugello test development started to stall with testing of new wings not working and thus losing ground on rivals on downforce tracks.
    Any idea if we will be stuck with the stepped nose next season?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Doesn't mean we can't have both.

We've seen in the past how difficult is it for us to fight for a win because its so close now between the top teams. When we fought for the win in Germany, there was little to choose between the front 3 drivers. Red Bull and McLaren have very strong race pace too.

So there's still a need for good qualifying pace, especially in tracks like Singapore where its difficult to overtake. And looking at past races, there's nothing to indicate that our race pace is really that strong when we're up against the best McLaren and Red Bull car that allows us to close a gap on to them.

Remember that if we don't qualify well, there's a risk that we get stuck behind slower car (or get run into by Roman ) and I don't think we have the race pace to close up a 5-10 second gap with McLaren. We've yet to see that happen to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Not a clue. Hope they do something like make them put light weight bodywork to join top of step to the nose that has to be straight or concave but cannot be refferenced to lift the underside of the nose. Would look nice on this years cars. Photoshop anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I dont think. Last i heard they wanted the step noses gone next year and want them to look more like Mclarens at the start of the year.

I dont think. Last i heard they wanted the step noses gone next year and want them to look more like Mclarens at the start of the year.
    stepped noses will gone in 2014 season ..

I'm sure Fernando didnt think so when he saw Lotus car falling on his head...

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    I'm sure Fernando didnt think so when he saw Lotus car falling on his head...
    That was just a freak accident, could happen again in the future and happen anyone of the drivers, even if they starting on pole. Look at Felipes race pace at Spa, if Fernando would of finished that race, would been a podium. Look Kobi in that race, started 2nd and got collected in the incident and finished out side the points. Start line accident you can not predict, or know where it will happen.

Not a clue. Hope they do something like make them put light weight bodywork to join top of step to the nose that has to be straight or concave but cannot be refferenced to lift the underside of the nose. Would look nice on this years cars. Photoshop anyone?
    Something like my avatar Picture?
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    That looks awesome. A world championship is great but lets get greedy as Ferrari have won so much we demand a certain look and colour sceme when we win thats why Ferrari are in a league f their own. Is the step on the nose different in recent test or are we all looking too hard for something and the lighting on the photos from the test make it look slightly different.

here's a biger one:Attachment 4942
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    I think that;s what they are trying to achieve.

By keeping the rules in place, it still prevents team from raising the tip of the nose to the same level as the dash/bulkhead top, but at the same time by allowing some extra cover at the top, team can cover the bump without having to lower the bulkhead (like earlier McLaren style)

with Kimi just 1 point behind hamilton he is a major threat! LOTUS have announced that they are bringing a new rear wing with the same downfoce levels as monaco spec but with a much better DRS system...help them in quali! New front wing as well as a new floor! they will not run the DDRS which will now run in Japan! If lotus make a significent step in Quali then they will be a serious threat to alonso! PLEASE PLEASE FERRARI bring a major upgrade! (sorry if you find this irrelevant)

Ferrari's upgrade at Singapore is suposed to be big and carefully planned some weeks before the summer break. The F2012 should be more competitive at Marina Bay than Lotus. They are all a threat for Alonso but Hamilton and McLaren look like a bigger threat than the rest.
    Last edited by Grillo; 18th September 2012 at 12:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    Ferrari's upgrade at Silverstone is suposed to be big and carefully planned some weeks before the summer break. The F2012 should be more competitive at Marina Bay than Lotus. They are all a threat for Alonso but Hamilton and McLaren looks a bigger threat than the rest.
    I think you meant Singapore..!!!!

There were so many posts about major, big upgrade package for next race, that now I'll stick to my SEEING IS BELIEVING! Until I see something new and that actually works in Ferrari favor I don't believe in words.

There were so many posts about major, big upgrade package for next race, that now I'll stick to my SEEING IS BELIEVING! Until I see something new and that actually works in Ferrari favor I don't believe in words.
    Is your name Thomas?
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!