Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    I think we are seeing the "Aero Model" on the current F1 rules emerging as teams find out what works and what is less effective. If McLaren changes the nose on there race car then there will be some validation to the duck bill shape that is the normal for this year's race cars. We are also seeing more neutral exhaust exit designs to feed the rear diffuser, which several teams are on pretty equal application of this concept. Ferrari are certainly NOT following the pack this year and they have much more variation in their design concepts and their development evolution process. It is a very interesting year of designs and development. I look for a big step by Ferrari in Spain and they should be much closer to the front. I say They should be in the top 4 or 5 in qualifying position and should run closer to the front in the race! I look for Red Bull, Lotus (Renault), Ferrari, McLaren & Mercedes all running close, with Sauber & Williams running close as well!

Ciao.
    hope your right frank
    Forza Ferrari!!!!

McLaren went down the route of not taking on the stepped nose, and it was lipped downwards a little instead. They did lower the chassis to accommodate the nose. Wonder how they've directed the air into the undercarriage of the car well AND be at the front.

PaulW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    McLaren went down the route of not taking on the stepped nose, and it was lipped downwards a little instead. They did lower the chassis to accommodate the nose. Wonder how they've directed the air into the undercarriage of the car well AND be at the front.
    McLaren tested a more F2012'ish nose at the very end of testing in Mugello

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW View Post

Interesting.

That is the second team changing its nose to a more Ferrari concept...Red Bull too changed theirs in malaysia and also changed their camera positions....
    Ferrari do have a number of interesting solutions,they just need to make it all work before others copy it and make theirs work..

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW View Post

IF they raced that nose, wouldn't it be illegal? Looks like the part where the nose connects to the bulkhead isn't in the correct height?

McLaren's Head of Aerodynamics David Sanchez has resigned from the team and is headed to Ferrari. He is friends with Pat Fry and is a welcomed & much needed aerodynamicist in the team.

This move obviously won't immediately pay dividends but it most certainly will in the near future.

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/178...namico-sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    McLaren's Head of Aerodynamics David Sanchez has resigned from the team and is headed to Ferrari. He is friends with Pat Fry and is a welcomed & much needed aerodynamicist in the team.

This move obviously won't immediately pay dividends but it most certainly will in the near future.

Excellent news.

We have quite a few ex-Mclaren personnel now. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian786 View Post
    Excellent news.

We have quite a few ex-Mclaren personnel now. :S
    some say its ferrauber, for me its looking like ferraREN
    Hell would have broken loose

Hi, everyone..will be very interesting to see where we stand this weekend, I hope they will finally fight at the front on the weekend, mostlikely with the 2 lotus and redbulls. That lotus car is very strong, thus this competitiveness of there's has it got anything to do with that testing
    at the US Windshear wind tunnel. If it is, why aren't ferrari doing the same, because at the 3 races lotus was not too far behind the leading group...and on that last race ova at bahrain and at the test they seem to have ovataken the leaders. That's why im asking if anybody knows, is lotus the only team that can test there? What l've read thru from sum of the comments from the lotus teams that the US Windshear wind tunnel is much more advance and big than there own(lotus team)..can somebody verify if this true. It is also confirm by there team that the upgrdes they are bringing in is from both theres and the US windshear wind tunnel. But im very confident with Alonso for pole and Massa p2 this weekend, that's why im putting down 2 carton of beers for Alonso win this weekend. That's why he's got to win, otherwise I wont feel so merry on the next day

Quote Originally Posted by vae32 View Post
    Hi, everyone..will be very interesting to see where we stand this weekend, I hope they will finally fight at the front on the weekend, mostlikely with the 2 lotus and redbulls. That lotus car is very strong, thus this competitiveness of there's has it got anything to do with that testing
    at the US Windshear wind tunnel. If it is, why aren't ferrari doing the same, because at the 3 races lotus was not too far behind the leading group...and on that last race ova at bahrain and at the test they seem to have ovataken the leaders. That's why im asking if anybody knows, is lotus the only team that can test there? What l've read thru from sum of the comments from the lotus teams that the US Windshear wind tunnel is much more advance and big than there own(lotus team)..can somebody verify if this true. It is also confirm by there team that the upgrdes they are bringing in is from both theres and the US windshear wind tunnel. But im very confident with Alonso for pole and Massa p2 this weekend, that's why im putting down 2 carton of beers for Alonso win this weekend. That's why he's got to win, otherwise I wont feel so merry on the next day

Quote Originally Posted by vae32 View Post

To be honest, the Toyota wind tunnel that a few of the teams use i probably as high-tech as the US wind sheer tunnel. Toyota is the world's largest automaker and F1 teams continue to test there citing it as one of the best. If anything, we're lacking CFD technology.

Lotus were less than spectacular in every race thus far except Bahrain. Australia was the McLaren show, Malaysia Ferrari/sauber in the wet, China Merc and Mac, and Bahrain was RB and Lotus. It is important to note that all 4 races thus far had very different characteristics. I suspect the reason Mac suffered in Bahrain was due to the higher temps and lower nose, i.e. the heat = lighter air = less air going around the car to rear meaning they didn't have enough DF as were heavily tyre limited.

And as for your Alonso prediction, you're absolutely right! Stefano has been saying that if they've finally correlated both wind tunnels, we've got a great series of developments coming!

Does anyone have any info regarding Renault and their suspected traction control engines? and I thought engine development was gone.

will he join as chief aerodynamacist?

I don't know that this is a good thing? With the poor testing and start McLaren had last year (early 2011 season) with the oddly shaped sidepods we saw & "exhaust box" concept both failing early on, I am not sure that this man is the key element in the further development of the Ferrari Aero Staff. Yes, he lends additional depth to the Aero Staff but the Ferrari Staff still does not have a new Rory Byrne to be more of a leader on the team. Right now they are a good collection of Engineers that are starting to use the data more productively and accurately. That may be their most important job in the end anyway. Newey certainly does not design every aspect of the race car! He has a team of Engineers the work on it.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Just on from that, if you can understand barely the translation into English....here's another interesting piece from Omnicourse.

Does anyone know what their creds are for reporting?

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/178...eria-del-vento

Luda D criticizes very much the new era where aerodynamics is the main concern of the teams (with engine development frozen) and a very important factor of a fast car.
    Enzo did it also in the past.
    I would prefer to have both engine and aero development.
    Besides "Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines"

Quote Originally Posted by anakin View Post
    some say its ferrauber, for me its looking like ferraREN
    McRrari?

Quote Originally Posted by Naeem View Post
    Does anyone have any info regarding Renault and their suspected traction control engines? and I thought engine development was gone.
    Engine development is gone in terms of increasing the output of the engines. You can still develop to improve their fuel efficiency, reliability and heat output.

All I heard about it was that it was suspected that they were cutting of some cylinders intelligently (at lower rpms in lower gears) to help the drivers get more traction when accelerating. I don't know the exact rules, but I think they could argue that its to improve the efficiency since the engine is limiting its output when too much power is counterproductive. As a by product its helping the drivers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    will he join as chief aerodynamacist?
    I'm not sure. I kind of doubt it, but it's possible. That would be a whipping for Tombazis and although the F2012 hasn't started well it's not all his fault and he's been working day & night to get the problems sorted. Looking at Mugello, it seems he's on the right track. It will be interesting to see what his designation is.

@kiwifella PIV(Particle Image Velocimetry) isn't the newest technology it's been around for a little bit. It's used at the Toyota WT in Cologne. But it would be news if our tunnel in Maranello has been upgraded to use this feature. Let's hope so. :))

I'm not sure. I kind of doubt it, but it's possible. That would be a whipping for Tombazis and although the F2012 hasn't started well it's not all his fault and he's been working day & night to get the problems sorted. Looking at Mugello, it seems he's on the right track. It will be interesting to see what his designation is.

@kiwifella PIV(Particle Image Velocimetry) isn't the newest technology it's been around for a little bit. It's used at the Toyota WT in Cologne. But it would be news if our tunnel in Maranello has been upgraded to use this feature. Let's hope so. :))
    I desperately ope thy don't demote Tombazis.

Ferrari have the correct idea of having 'freshness' but they need to be careful going to fresh. These guys should be assisting the likes of Tombazis, bring new ideas, thats it.

McRari could be a real car name, lol

The F2012 arrived in Montmelo today. With Acer Ducts as the current configuration. Although I'm sure this old exhaust config will be gone for Friday's FP sessions.

Original video---> http://www.tv3.cat/3alacarta/#/videos/4087854

It's cool, Tombazis is Chief Designer.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

The F2012 arrived in Montmelo today. With Acer Ducts as the current configuration. Although I'm sure this old exhaust config will be gone for Friday's FP sessions.

Original video---> http://www.tv3.cat/3alacarta/#/videos/4087854
    I have a feeling they are going to run both styles during FP1 and 2. Maybe we still need more data from both solutions. I hope it's all figured out come Saturday afternoon.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Are they allowed to do stuff like shaving the engine, SHortening the pistant so that it can pump up and down for an increased number of times?

Is that legal?

Are they allowed to do stuff like shaving the engine, SHortening the pistant so that it can pump up and down for an increased number of times?

Is that legal?
    NO!

Is that legal?
    Formula 1 engines are already design at the cutting edge of engine technology in terms of extracting as much performance as they can, within the rules. Pretty sure they are already shorter and wider than conventional engine. But of course there are many fine details that are set by the rules about what can and cannot be done.

But anyway the engine design is now frozen, so not much modifications are allowed except to fix any reliability issues.

from Twitter

Alex @ AMorteF
    F2012B: New wings / rear, flat base / diffuser, exhaust, pontoons, rear brake ducts, turning vanes curved and some surprises ...

Quote Originally Posted by croALOfanclub View Post
    from Twitter

Alex @ AMorteF
    F2012B: New wings / rear, flat base / diffuser, exhaust, pontoons, rear brake ducts, turning vanes curved and some surprises ...
    So almost all new...

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17982191

Anderson's recap on Ferrari,but these thing we already know!