Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

The Ferrari F2012 is very suited to the Hockenheim track. Hockenheim is still a very high speed track and the F2012 is a Best on high speed tracks but it is also very good and stable on slow corner tracks as well. The Ferrari F2012 has become a very good"All-A-Round" race car that is no long weak on top speed! The Ferrari Engineers have worked wonders to "Re-Vamped" F2012 race car!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!

I expect very strong RB at German GP. RB8 has better traction coming out of slow corners like the one after Parabolica. I expect to have a fight on our hands at Hockenheim.

I agree that Red Bull may be strong in Hockenheim. Its about the corner speed and while Hockenheim have long straights, their corners are not as high speed as in Silverstone. Its corners are more technical like that of Valencia.

Ferrari has good traction in slow speed corners.its the medium speed ones where u have to lift off the throttle is where the Red bull is superior.Lateral forces destabilises the rear and the car loses traction.Ferrari seem to addressing this problem along with top speed issues.Hopefully they solve it Germany.

Found this article in F1Technical, looks like this the way RBR is making Off throtlle blowing. The article says the Ferrari debuted this in 2011, are we using this technology on our car, then why are we not blowing the exhaust gases when the driver gets off the throttle.

"Red Bull adopts Helmholz exhaust chamber

Pictures taken at Silverstone this weekend have uncovered that Red Bull have adopted or are at least testing an exhaust chamber. Also known as a Helmholz exhaust, the regular exhaust pipe features a blind addition which can accumulate exhaust gases when pressure is high in the exhaust pipe. It can then release those gases again when the driver gets off the throttle, hence evening out the pressure differences that occur in the exhaust pipe.

Apart from the evening out in an attempt to gain a more constant exhaust flow - and hence a more constant rear downforce at the diffuser - a Helmholz resonance chamber can also help the "Kadenacy Effect" in a specific RPM range of the engine.

The Kadenacy effect is an effect that forms from pressure-waves in gases. In essence, careful design of the dimensions and position of the exhaust changer can assist scavenging of exhaust gases out of the cylinders and therefore increase the pressure drop across the intake and exhaust valve area within a specific RPM range. As such it could be used to increase engine performance in the engines' most used RPM range.

To make room for the exhaust chamber that Ferrari debuted in F1 through 2011, RBR redesigned the entire exhaust of the RB8. While it previously ran close to the car's engine heat cover and then curved downward with a 180° turn, the final turn is now curved upwards, similar to Williams' exhaust layout.

Also note, as marked with yellow, the upward direction of the final 10cm of the exhaust pipe. The regulations specify that this must be a straight, circular section pointing up between 10° and 30°."

http://www.f1technical.net/development/369

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    I think cars are in parc ferme after quali. top ten cars have to remain the same.. if parts damaged have to replace with same type, i believe
    yes, but they could've changed it in the first pitstop.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfinemess View Post
    Yes but spending more time in than the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    The Ferrari F2012 is very suited to the Hockenheim track. Hockenheim is still a very high speed track and the F2012 is a Best on high speed tracks but it is also very good and stable on slow corner tracks as well. The Ferrari F2012 has become a very good"All-A-Round" race car that is no long weak on top speed! The Ferrari Engineers have worked wonders to "Re-Vamped" F2012 race car!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!
    I hope you are right. One thing going our way is the temperatures. It should be cold at Hockenheim which should suit the Ferrari.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfinemess View Post

I don't think they can use 2 different specs of wing during a race. I believe the car is homologated before quali with the parts that are on it.
    They wouldn't be able to swap the old wing for the new wing during a race.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    Is the Ferrari suited to Hockenheim? I remember the last we were here we won, but a lot has changed.
    I remember we did quite well pretty much everywhere in 2010 after Hockenheim. There'll be an important new package for the F2012 on Friday next week and it'd be very positive if it works as expected.

There was a controversial filming day with the F10 at Fiorano some time before Hockenheim.

Are they filming or straight line testing this week?

I expect a RedBull in pole in hockenheim, they are still the best and it's not gonna change in 2 weeks but I hope we can give them a run for their money.

Who knows maybe we will be faster in race trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Wonder when someone will copy something we have done right to begin with instead of us catching up by copying

Sure it's great we are improving but really we should be leaders not followers.
    rightly said...Even i am eagerly waiting for that day....when others will copy Ferrari solutions....
    AKROCKS

Any updates on Ferrari straight line speed and traction....is the area where Ferrari are lagging still....
    AKROCKS

Fernando Alonso has finished in the last 21 races....awesome...
    AKROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by anupa2k View Post
    Fernando Alonso has finished in the last 21 races....awesome...
    I am searching on net, but can't find data... I think MS is holding that record (as many others) of most consecutive points finishing races. For what I can recall is that FA is very near to that number

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I am searching on net, but can't find data... I think MS is holding that record (as many others) of most consecutive points finishing races. For what I can recall is that FA is very near to that number
    Here you are:
    Consec. Finished:
    http://www.statsf1.com/en/statistiqu...nsecutive.aspx

Consec. Classified:
    http://www.statsf1.com/en/statistiqu...onsecutif.aspx

Surprising to see Hamilton at 18th, I expected him way down..

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Surprising to see Hamilton at 18th, I expected him way down..
    You never gonna see Pastor there, for sure.

with the young driver test taking place this week and only williams, murussia and HRT taking part...surley this would havve been a prime time to effectively test the car and new parts, or are you not allowed to do that!?!!

Alonso needs 3 more races finishing in points to match Schumacher's record
    Alonso' 21 compared to Schumacher' 24

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    with the young driver test taking place this week and only williams, murussia and HRT taking part...surley this would havve been a prime time to effectively test the car and new parts, or are you not allowed to do that!?!!
    I would have thought so too, but maybe since the reg change for 2013 is quite big, that they will probably want to test concepts for that.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Alonso needs 3 more races finishing in points to match Schumacher's record
    Alonso' 21 compared to Schumacher' 24

Fascinating. I suppose that includes engine/motor DNFs - just checking!

IMHO the last time Fernando retired because he messed up was at the 2010 Belgian GP, when he crashed out under the rain.
    Hamitlon and Maldonado, watch and learn

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    IMHO the last time Fernando retired because he messed up was at the 2010 Belgian GP, when he crashed out under the rain.
    Hamitlon and Maldonado, watch and learn
    nope, last time was canada 2011 when button screwd him in rain
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    nope, last time was canada 2011 when button screwd him in rain
    He said:

Quote Originally Posted by Red is Best View Post
    because he messed up

Well spotted DJTaurus. Just for the rest of you there was an accompanying video, just wait for the advert to finish. Video shows the updates of the last few GPs

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/f...=1728005124001
    Last edited by ForzaJay; 11th July 2012 at 22:27.

Thanks for posting!
    Now I have a question.
    Where did they find all this detailed update info?
    From Ferrari or other source?

Can anyone tell me why Fernando wasn't able to defend against Webber while Fernando was on newer, softer tires? Surely this is very bad news indeed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gould View Post
    Can anyone tell me why Fernando wasn't able to defend against Webber while Fernando was on newer, softer tires? Surely this is very bad news indeed?
    Softer tyres last less, so they became useless earlier than Webber's tyres. Webber in the final laps had more grip so overtaking was definitely sure.