Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Japan Race

Few days ago CNN stated that Ferrari is very concerned to be unable to
    improve the performance of the car negatively affecting Alonso score.
    How come that technical Ferrari staff cannot find a solution?
    Fusto Thailand

You're right, Kenny. There seem to be areas, most notably aerodynamics, in which Ferrari lack really top notch people or motivation.

War Eagle!

It's clear our aero department is not that good, considering also that Luca Di has been banging on about too much aero in the sport even confirms it.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    It's clear our aero department is not that good, considering also that Luca Di has been banging on about too much aero in the sport even confirms it.
    Is the world bereft of engineers and skilled technicians? Surely, there can't be just one Newey?!
    I know it's harsh, but the staff seriously needs a shift.I've been observing SD and PF to be calm and relaxed even about a 6th place or 11th place. This can affect Fernando's morale as well. Don't know about SD, but Fernando might seriously be down if he loses out this year to the title. C'mon guys, where's the Ferrari spirit!??!

few weeks ago Tombazis said he is afraid that there is possible to lose the job, if in the and of thе seasone there are no result of his work

I hope our lacking in aero is largely due to our bad tools, which is the wind tunnel. If we can improve it, then hopefully next year we will return with a stronger car. This year we were all puzzled why the F2012 was bad at the start, I believe co-relation issues have been mentioned from the start. If all of this was down to our bad wind tunnel, then hopefully we can really fix it this time, and no more nasty surprises next year.

Quote Originally Posted by anuragiyer8989 View Post
    Is the world bereft of engineers and skilled technicians? Surely, there can't be just one Newey?!
    I know it's harsh, but the staff seriously needs a shift.I've been observing SD and PF to be calm and relaxed even about a 6th place or 11th place. This can affect Fernando's morale as well. Don't know about SD, but Fernando might seriously be down if he loses out this year to the title. C'mon guys, where's the Ferrari spirit!??!
    Luca DM trust them. Luca DM have said that many times, even this week when he talk about the wind tunnel issue. When asked when our wind tunnel will be shut down for repair, he said its up to Stefano and he trust Stefano can handle it.

If Luca DM trust them, so should we. We have seen people being fired from the team so Ferrari is not being kind to anyone or give themself excuses.

I don't think the issue is with the people, but the tools available. I mean, if the technicians were bad, then Ferrari would not have come back after Mugello. Which makes me feel that tie simulation tools need improving, and that is obviously being said in the press now.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    few weeks ago Tombazis said he is afraid that there is possible to lose the job, if in the and of thе seasone there are no result of his work
    I think they should first fire the person who built the windtunnel. I don't see how anyone could be judged on results using that wonky thing.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Fernando has said significant updates will be brought to Korea and India where they expect to be more competitive but this was also said of Singapore and we all know what happened there. I desperately hope the updates work this time round because a few more GPs like Singapore and that will spell the end for our championship hopes. It's quiet clear now that Vettel should be the focus until the end of the season. A couple of finishes ahead of him will suffice but it's going to be hard if he continues to put the car on pole weekend after weekend.
    It looks like Ferrari have put all their hope into the Toyota wind tunnel, hoping that it will work and provide improved correlation. I hope it proves to be the correct decision, but they don't really have a choice do they?
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

You are right,but F1 is a world without a apologies.One head must be on the table

I see Tombazis as the main man on the Hot Seat! Last year is was Aldo Costa. This guy is not leading the team at the moment and he not come up with answers. Sounds like Aldo Costa a year ago and Tombazis got Ferrari to get rid of him! Maybe this is "Karma" time and Tombazis is feeling it now.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    I see Tombazis as the main man on the Hot Seat! Last year is was Aldo Costa. This guy is not leading the team at the moment and he not come up with answers. Sounds like Aldo Costa a year ago and Tombazis got Ferrari to get rid of him! Maybe this is "Karma" time and Tombazis is feeling it now.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!
    Or maybe Ferrari realise that it is the tools, not the staff that are the problem. After all, Fry has been spending his time trying to improve the simulator, CFD and wind tunnel, instead of sacking everyone in sight, no?
    All it takes is one last working update, and we are laughing.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!
    Yea, I agree that the days in our team could come to an end pretty soon for Tombazis. Though with all the problems in the wind tunnel department, he can't be solely blamed for the relatively poor performance this season.

By the way, I would love to see what Adrian Newey could accomplish in our team. That would be quite interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso84 View Post
    Yea, I agree that the days in our team could come to an end pretty soon for Tombazis. Though with all the problems in the wind tunnel department, he can't be solely blamed for the relatively poor performance this season.

By the way, I would love to see what Adrian Newey could accomplish in our team. That would be quite interesting
    The only thing Newey could accomplish here would be the designing of an illegal car. And quite a few of his McLarens were rather poor cars. He's not infallible. And i dont understand why Tombazis should be facing the heat. The team lacks direction and a firm and sensible hand in leadership . Ever since Todt left,the team has won only a single title,lost two more thanks to operational/developmental errors. And who took the decision to design a radical car this season?? Tombazis might have made many errors,but i think Domenicali is the one who should be sacked. Tombazis should not be made a scapegoat for his superior's failings. Domenicali is one of the worst team principals around,with perhaps only Boullier for company...

Yet another supportive post there.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by SoumyaBanerjee View Post
    The only thing Newey could accomplish here would be the designing of an illegal car. And quite a few of his McLarens were rather poor cars. He's not infallible. And i dont understand why Tombazis should be facing the heat. The team lacks direction and a firm and sensible hand in leadership . Ever since Todt left,the team has won only a single title,lost two more thanks to operational/developmental errors. And who took the decision to design a radical car this season?? Tombazis might have made many errors,but i think Domenicali is the one who should be sacked. Tombazis should not be made a scapegoat for his superior's failings. Domenicali is one of the worst team principals around,with perhaps only Boullier for company...

We have won 3 titles, 2 WCC 2007-2008 and 1 WDC 2007.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

A poor workman blames his tools. Seriously knowone should be sacked. The team changed alot last year and it takes time. The 1st few Newey RB's were not world beaters as there were many things to change same when Todt took over in 93 that was the most desperate tear I ever remember. If we fire people we will forever be waiting for the team to gel and will get through every F1 engineer within a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    A poor workman blames his tools. Seriously knowone should be sacked. The team changed alot last year and it takes time. The 1st few Newey RB's were not world beaters as there were many things to change same when Todt took over in 93 that was the most desperate tear I ever remember. If we fire people we will forever be waiting for the team to gel and will get through every F1 engineer within a decade.

Dont know why some people find that hard to understand.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by SoumyaBanerjee View Post
    Hey, hey come on now! Tone down the critique in here. Are you forgetting where you are?

I didn't say that Newey is somekind of a "miracle man", all I said was that it would be interesting to see what he could do if he was in Ferrari. Some people currently consider him to be the best aerodynamicist in F1. I don't want Tombazis to get fired either, but the fact is that if the good results don't come as hoped then it's only logical that people will firstly look at the guy who designed the car and he will get the most heat. Wrong or right, that's how it's always been in every F1 team.
    And your insulting comment about Domenicali was uncalled for! He does have his flaws, but who doesn't?! Would you like to see Horner or Whitmarsh to be our team's principal?
    Jean Todt times are over and besides Domenicali is doing just fine!

By the way, your overly critical comment about our beloved team makes me wonder whether you're in the right place? No offence...
    If you really are a Ferrari fan then you shouldn't bash Domenicali like that.

situation with the engines.Mklr don`t seems good.there is not information about ferari since Spa

The current rules limit each driver to eight engines for the season
    Preview of the Japanese Grand Prix Monday, October 01, 2012

AUS MAL CHN BAH SPN MON CAN EUR GBR GER HUN BEL ITA SIN JPN KOR IND ABU USA BRZ
    VET 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    WEB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    BUT 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    HAM 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    ALO 1 2 3 4 5 6
    MAS 1 2 3 4 5 6
    MSC 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    ROS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    RAI 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    GRO 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    DAM
    DIR 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    HUL 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    KOB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    PER 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    RIC 1 2 3 4 5 6
    VER 1 2 3 4 5 6
    MAL 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    SEN 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    KOV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    PET 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    DLR 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    KAR 1 2 3 4 5 6
    GLO 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    PIC 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

http://www.vivaf1.com/reliability.php

Yes, I wonder if a number of these negative posters are in the right place!!!

Go Ferrari, we can actually win Japan!!!!

As i mentioned in my previous post, i believe we wont have a competitive car this year!!! Even if few updates work we can’t catch mclaren and red bull... The time deficit is too large and my view is and i have to agree with gary Anderson on this, without reworking the coke bottle area we wont get the diffuser to work at full efficacy. So maybe this is where we are struggling with the updates. The airflow coming from the FW is not working well with the body work that we have in that coke bottle area.
    I too believe in Alonso ability, as i did with schumi back in the 2000 but even genius drivers like them cant get a donkey to run like a horse!!! Relative to our main competitors we are def a donkey, sorry to be using this word but i cant find any better to describe this car, whilst our rivals cars are Horses that keeps on improving.
    Miracles do happen... Lewis Hamilton winning the WDC on the last lap and last of the race... Vettel did same with Alonso... so we could count on this.
    Ferrari cant get upgrades that they have planned for months and probably already manufactured for the other races to be amended, retested in such a short time!!! Even if they do, i believe quality will be compromised...
    If wind tunnel is to be blamed which i still believe is not totally true, then next years car will be a donkey too... as they would have used the same wind tunnel to make next years car...
    I believe that at the beginning Ferrari copied mclaren, a bit of Williams for brake ducts, a bit of redbull possibly and god know who else we copied!!!! Since they copied ideas the wind tunnel gave them good correlation, purely based on the fact that its development which has already been proven to work on the other cars!!! So when they got to the point whereby they couldn’t copy anymore because of the design of their car i.e the coke bottle area, they went there own way and that is when the correlation problem started. Correlation is not an issue there guys, as some updates do work i.e because they are simple and straight forward updates.... and it should work for others as well... maybe we have a success ratio of 50% of update that work compared to 75 and 75+ for Renault, red and mc. That is purely based on our development route we are taking, trying to hard... trying to the limit of what is workable or not.... maybe bcos we have a big performance deficit Ferrari is trying things that they thought could give huge performance...
    We lack aero experts and that can be justified by Luca di always referring to f1 car being too dependent on aero performance!!!!
    If the new updates don’t work and we used Toyota wind tunnel, i think SD could lose all credibility he has!!! Because this will show that there was never correlation problem only wrong development route... I HOPE NOT though, i would love a comeback....
    But one thing i have to say lets be patient, give the new structure time to develop and then we can say sack all of them...  But one thing is sure, we need a TOP AERODYNAMICIST, our current one is def not good...
    For tomorrow Come on Ferrari please prove me wrong!!!! hope for a good race thats my optimistic part>>>

This thread reminds me of pre valencia race wich is great as I hope for the same result and I think the result will be strange either way. If Ferrari win tommorrow they will be great the car is amazing until the next time we have a couple of races where things don't go as planned.

Luca and Domenicali will solve our major problems over the winter but now, we need the Tifosi to get behind our red car and support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Red passion View Post
    Luca and Domenicali will solve our major problems over the winter but now, we need the Tifosi to get behind our red car and support them.
    Well said my friend, well said! Through thick and thin Red all the way, always and forever!

Well said my friend, well said! Through thick and thin Red all the way, always and forever!

+1 million.
    Anyone who says no chance? There is alwAys a chance. No chance after winter testing, focus on 2013 etc. With that attitude Ferrari would not be winning wdc after 14 races andnot too far from constructors either. Never say never fight to the last in everyti.g and anything you never know. all you can do is push push push. Forza Ferrari.

Maybe Ferrari have many issues to resolve at the same time. Old Technical Tools, Difficult Deisgn Direction, and finding a Solid / Well Skilled Team of Engineers, to Design & Engineer the finest Race Cars given the limitations imposed by the rules. Newey is not the answer and like young drivers, we should look to both the schools of Aerodynamics Industry and Schools of Formula One learning to find the Next Bryne or Newey. Everything must be geared toward both Now and the Future of the team.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmkevin View Post
    I believe that at the beginning Ferrari copied mclaren, a bit of Williams for brake ducts, a bit of redbull possibly and god know who else we copied!!!!
    I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about! Why the hell would Ferrari want to copy from any of those teams?! That sounds like one of those wild conspiracy theories that Macca fans and Red Bull fans(if there is even such a thing as "Red Bull fan") would spread around

Come on man you don't seriously believe that do you?
    If anything it's the damn Macca that wants to copy from us... remember 2007???

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    this is your opinion that Ferrari has a poor dept on aerodynamics or did you read it somewhere, but Luca mentioned a very important point on aero, lots of time spent in wind tunnels, tweaking a piece of a front wing which adds no real value to the contest, the fans can't really see the benefit etc, engine power and pure grunt is what racing should be about.

that sounds like one of those wild conspiracy theories that Macca fans and Red Bull fans(if there is even such a thing as "Red Bull fan") would spread around