Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EL_NANDO View Post
    I'd rather we had some decent updates ready for India (DDRS) than rushed more that just don't work this weekend. Even if Fernando loses the championship lead to the finger at Korea, hopefully it will only be by 6-10 points at worst. Over the last 4 races this isn't a problem as long as we are competitive.

Our development in comparison to the others hasn't been great at all since Canada. I don't know how we can still have these wind tunnel problems after all this time, it's like a tennis player practising for a Grand Slam with a baseball bat.

Now the lead has been completely reduced, the McLaren's taking points of Vettel doesn't really matter so much anymore. We have to beat Vettel ourselves, and still be weary of Lewis. Our race pace looked good with Massa in Suzuka, I just don't understand why we can't get anywhere near them in qualifying.

Can anyone remember when we last clearly had the best car in a dry qualifying session, on a track which needs high downforce? This is costing us the championship once more.
    I would say Monza this year, until Fernando experienced some technical issue in Q3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    For me, a big update would be if both Lotus drivers did not attend Korea.
    At least we'd get a chance to start...

Brilliant man!!......Yeah i agree with you!.....

i would not put it past Adrian Newey!

They are the only team using a ramp to guide the exhaust gas all the way to the side of the diffuser. Newey may be on to something here, and its probably very difficult to copy as we see all other teams are still following the exhaust McLaren use and no one copied Red Bull's concept.

It would be great if those small updates for Korea produce wanted result, and to leave Korean GP if with not extended lead than with minimum loss of point to SV. After that if it is true that F2012 will get BIG update package for India, and it becomes more faster and stable, than it is going to be sprint run in remaining four races till the end of championship. Having FA at our side, gives Ferrari that much advantage over Red Bull.

Can't read anything into this at all, they are hardly going to be driving around with a big sign pointing at the DDRS saying "Look Ferrari and McLaren, this is why we are so quick!".

Might be a bluff, might not be.

Can't read anything into this at all, they are hardly going to be driving around with a big sign pointing at the DDRS saying "Look Ferrari and McLaren, this is why we are so quick!".

all that link is saying is that the form red bull have found in teh last couple of races is NOT just from teh DDRS and that it MAY come from teh revised exhaust as well...so maybe a combination of the two give them the speed boost they've had in past 2 races.

let's jut hope that the FOUR small updates Fry is talking about will work really well for us this weekend; and then wth the BIG update package in India hopefully we'll close the gap to Red Fools and Fernando will easily march to his THIRD WDC....
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Red Bull was very fast in Valencia too. Their exhaust system is the biggest benefit for them right now, they aggressively develop it in the beginning of the season despite the problems, they wouldn't do that if it wasn't beneficial.

The DDRS is nothing more than a little icing on the cake. You can't use it in race and Vettel was strong in race too.

Vettel's DDRS surely helped in qualifying.
    BUT
    It was not a factor during the race.He was always leading!!

So are we gonna get the DDRS for India or not? Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso84 View Post
    So are we gonna get the DDRS for India or not? Does anyone know?
    Ferrari don't share their updates detail so unfortunately we won't know until we see what's on the car that week.

But more importantly, we have to hope and cross all fingers that whatever the updates may be, will actually work. Our major updates hasn't been working lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    But more importantly, we have to hope and cross all fingers that whatever the updates may be, will actually work. Our major updates hasn't been working lately.
    Yea, that's true. Hopefully all the upcoming updates will be double checked and tested in Toyota's Cologne wind tunnel before bringing them out. It is actually somewhat embarrassing that we need to use Toyota's wind tunnel to test our updates...but oh well
    Everything is fine, as long as those updates will work.

From Ferrari.com

Fernando also spoke about the level of competitiveness demonstrated by the F2012, a particularly hot topic these past few days: “For sure, there are some teams who, in this final part of the season have made a significant step forward, while we have not matched that, especially in terms of how the car behaves on certain types of track. However, it is equally true that, at Monza for example, we had a car that was good enough to take pole, while then at Singapore, we got a bit lost and to a certain extent, we also suffered at Suzuka, even if there, Felipe showed he was pretty competitive in the race: if we weren’t as quick as the Red Bulls, we were at least a match for all the others. Actually, these ups and downs seem to be the norm this season: in Japan, the McLaren seemed less strong than in the previous race while Red Bull stepped up significantly, as indeed did Sauber. A lot’s been said about us, because everyone is always focused on the Red team: here for example, if we try a wing once, then don’t use it, it becomes news, but these things happen regularly in all teams. Now, all we need to do is get back on the right track and I’m sure we can do it.”

Alonso and Ferrari seems very confident the wind of change will come. I am delighted to hear that. Forza Ferrari!

Magny-Cours front wing pillars in Korea (that nosecone without the wing itself at the back)

is this picture from Korea,or from Magny-Cours?

Sorry for digressing slightly, here is a very interesting video of how the Mercedes car has evolved:
    http://fb.me/1KJBdjI3S

Just thought that posting it here, where we are discussing the development of F2012, could make some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    is this picture from Korea,or from Magny-Cours?
    Korea.

We tested those new noses at Magny-Cours young drivers tests.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Korea.

We tested those new noses at Magny-Cours young drivers tests.
    Have we ever used this new nose at any grand prix weekend after the Magny-cours test?
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

OK,thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    Have we ever used this new nose at any grand prix weekend after the Magny-cours test?
    Not sure if theyve ever tryed that pillars in any of the free practices but they have not raced them.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Magny-Cours front wing pillars in Korea (that nosecone without the wing itself at the back)
    Five old wings, one new (Magny-Cours spec) wing. I guess we're not hopeful of using it....

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Five old wings, one new (Magny-Cours spec) wing. I guess we're not hopeful of using it....
    I am pretty sure we dont have five old wings..

New winglets on break ducts:

Looks like a few aero updates and that's about it, of course Pat Fry did say they were going to be small updates.
    In India we may see some mechanical changes and I expect the rear of the car to look very different. I also anticipate a side pod design similar to the McLaren.
    All guess work on my behalf :)

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
    Different mirrors & fins for Ferrari, may be they are to try the Sauber style flap over the sidepod? via@motorsportgp
    grand-prix-korei-czwartek-2012-024.jpg
    Last edited by fronaldo; 11th October 2012 at 09:43.

Either this is a new shape of the engine starter hole or just a reflection of light. We need to see it from the back side.
    Korea:

Singapore:¨

there are talks of mclaren own DDRS system might bring upto .5 of a second per lap..

Quote Originally Posted by Cemz85 View Post
    there are talks of mclaren own DDRS system might bring upto .5 of a second per lap..
    Let them bring it, anything to slow Vettel down will only benefit us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    Let them bring it, anything to slow Vettel down will only benefit us.
    yeah, it will play good into our hands...BUT, we have to beat vettel still no matter what....
    we HAVE to finish ahead of him all the time and extent our points lead...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cemz85 View Post
    article about RB maybe macca DDRS
    http://somersf1.blogspot.com/2012/10...rear-wing.html