Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I suppose its a tradition there possibly, like children refusing to eat cold dinners because they arrive 20 minutes after it was served up. or like on a date when you want to impress the new girlfriend and it takes an hour for meal to arrive after you ordered it.
    Red tape and lack of F1 awareness is the biggest reason,i feel. They simply cannot appreciate the massive scale of the sport,and they tend to treat it like any other.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Still can't get past the super eights, even with the worlds biggest T20 league mwahahaha!

On topic, I can kind of understand why they are so stringent. For the cricket teams for example it is fairly clear that they are sports gear. With all the gizmos and gadgets F1 teams bring... And it hasn't been too soon since those awful attacks in Mumbai.

But in this case, there really shouldn't be a race if the country isn't fully ready, but we can't blame India for it, but Bernie.

I think though, that the big teams like Ferrari and RedBull can find some way to get the parts there quickly, or bring out the lawyers.
    You know,i actually like it when India fare poorly in cricket. That bl*** y sport(i,for one,dont consider it to be one) and the attention which it gets from the fools here is a major reason why our country lags behind in all other sports.

Still can't get past the super eights, even with the worlds biggest T20 league mwahahaha!

On topic, I can kind of understand why they are so stringent. For the cricket teams for example it is fairly clear that they are sports gear. With all the gizmos and gadgets F1 teams bring... And it hasn't been too soon since those awful attacks in Mumbai.

But in this case, there really shouldn't be a race if the country isn't fully ready, but we can't blame India for it, but Bernie.

I think though, that the big teams like Ferrari and RedBull can find some way to get the parts there quickly, or bring out the lawyers.
    You know,i actually like it when India fare poorly in cricket. That sport(i,for one,dont consider it to be one) and the attention which it gets from the fools here is a major reason why our country lags behind in all other sports.
    Last edited by Rob; 13th October 2012 at 14:51. Reason: may not be that bad a swear word but even still, you know the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by SoumyaBanerjee View Post
    You know,i actually like it when India fare poorly in cricket. That sport(i,for one,dont consider it to be one) and the attention which it gets from the fools here is a major reason why our country lags behind in all other sports.
    Buddy, I'm Pakistani, so i'm just having a little fun.

But India is good at Hockey, Squash, Badminton etc, no?

anyways, very OT. I hope upgrades for India will be very good, I still think it might not be a massive issue for the teams. Hopefully Ferrari prepared for this so they can get their parts good and early.
    Last edited by Rob; 13th October 2012 at 14:51.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

anyways, very OT. I hope upgrades for India will be very good, I still think it might not be a massive issue for the teams. Hopefully Ferrari prepared for this so they can get their parts good and early.
    Hey! Didn't fancy seeing a fellow countryman here :).

On topic: I'm not sure about those upgrades. Heard somewhere that Marc Gene said that out of the 4 updates introduced in Korea, some worked. Some didn't. So that correlation issue still seems to be on!

Quote Originally Posted by SoumyaBanerjee View Post
    Am with you on this one! Fully agree!
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by khizerk View Post
    Hey! Didn't fancy seeing a fellow countryman here :).

On topic: I'm not sure about those upgrades. Heard somewhere that Marc Gene said that out of the 4 updates introduced in Korea, some worked. Some didn't. So that correlation issue still seems to be on!
    Did he? Rivola said the updates pretty much worked. Maybe Gene meant some were raced, some weren't which could be a preference for the drivers and not necessarily a correlation issue.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by 05alonso06 View Post
    yes but if they had the EBD in Silverstone they would destroy us there
    EBD ban will defently hurt Mclaren the most,remember pre-season testing before they switched to redbull-exoust system

Did he? Rivola said the updates pretty much worked. Maybe Gene meant some were raced, some weren't which could be a preference for the drivers and not necessarily a correlation issue.
    The criteria for an update working is if it makes the car go faster. Drives wouldnt drop an update if they made a car faster, unless they ruined the balance...which in turn would again mean a slower car over a longer run

Quote Originally Posted by khizerk View Post
    The criteria for an update working is if it makes the car go faster. Drives wouldnt drop an update if they made a car faster, unless they ruined the balance...which in turn would again mean a slower car over a longer run
    IMO, an update these days works if it Gives the same data as the team predicted it would. Then you just have to piece them together for the best setup.

Technical analysis on Ferrari's 'known' Korean updates:

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot...n-updates.html

and they are quite interesting!!

This is all very depressing. I cant see how we will ever beat Newey he is simply too smart and a genius, and Vettel is good enough to exploit dominant machinery. He could dominate the next 10 years, because Newey is just too strong, we are helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by albert View Post
    This is all very depressing. I cant see how we will ever beat Newey he is simply too smart and a genius, and Vettel is good enough to exploit dominant machinery. He could dominate the next 10 years, because Newey is just too strong, we are helpless.
    Dont lose heart we have Pat Fry who was the Renault brain behind 2 WDC's for Schumi and 2 WDC's for Alonso, when he was at Benton Renault. Before the Incident that got him suspended and Briatori Banned
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

I think the most important strength of Newey is that he's willing to take risk. He's willing to sacrifice something because he's confident that the gain is worth it. In the past, Red Bull have KERS problem because Newey made their battery smaller to have a smaller rear section. Red Bull KERS is not the best, but the performance he gain elsewhere was worth it.

This year he again took a huge risk with the ramp exhaust design. Scarb pointed out that that design have problem at high speed. Nobody follow them, everyone followed McLaren exhaust instead. And now we see although Red Bull sacrifice their performance in tracks like Monza, they gain in high downforce track which is all the other tracks.

Edit: Actually Ferrari took risk too this year with our Acer duct. Its too bad it didn't work out, but I'm glad Ferrari did and I hope Ferrari will do the same next year (with better result of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Dont lose heart we have Pat Fry who was the Renault brain behind 2 WDC's for Schumi and 2 WDC's for Alonso, when he was at Benton Renault. Before the Incident that got him suspended and Briatori Banned
    Is that rather Pat Simmond?

Newey is quite overrated imo.
    Fantastic designer, but not god. There are many other people at RedBull who are brilliant as well. If it was only Newey, they would not be doing as well.
    Ferrari can take Newey on, just like McLaren can, as shown and proved by both this year.

Ferrari just need to get a wind tunnel that can work, and McLaren need to actually use their dominance.

Btw, BBC say Ferrari are now 100% at Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    yup its Pat Symonds..now at Marussia

I think you should be on the red bull or mclaren forum, there is only 6 point gap a lot can happen between now and Brazil.

Newey is 1 part of the aero department. The head of aero at RBR i rate more Peter Prodromou. If couldnt get Newey , go for this guy, easy.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Peter Prodromou is the guy that Ferrari should be targeting.He is the one who gets all the Ideas tat Newey has to work.Its not about the designer but more about the Aerodynamacist!!Also Newey was at Mclaren for so many years,He could not such dominance back then,Its mainly cause of the Aero team at Red Bull,not Newey alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fer12 View Post
    Peter Prodromou is the guy that Ferrari should be targeting.He is the one who gets all the Ideas tat Newey has to work.Its not about the designer but more about the Aerodynamacist!!Also Newey was at Mclaren for so many years,He could not such dominance back then,Its mainly cause of the Aero team at Red Bull,not Newey alone.

They already tried that (according to some rumours, i don't recall a really reliable source).

Hey hey hey! Lets first wait for the update in India before proclaiming Newey the design god that many people think he is. Newey was a nobody at mid-point in the season and now all of a sudden he's the best thing since sliced bread...people are definitely over reacting.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Doh! too many Pats around here
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Exclamation

I am also a Pakistani.its pretty good to find a lot of us supporting Ferrari and Formula 1.BTW I pray that Alonso wins this year ;he is just begging Ferrari to give him a competitve car(not the fastest) and then he can take it from there.today the yellow flags didnt help Fernando in the openning stages because he was pretty close at the start to webber but couldnt deploy DRS even he got withing 1 second.things will inshaAllah(with God's help) work for Fernando in the coming races and the misfortune that hit him in Japan can happen to anyone even to Vettel..a

Vettel has NEVER won from below the first row on genuine pace(except in singapore when Lewis and Pastor retired due to mechanical failures) which shows he isnt the best;mid-season redbull were nowhere as they hadnt the quickest car and Vettel was complaing all the time.In Alonso there is a driver who is a damn good racer and Never gives up But the car isnt as quick in terms of speed.lets all hope the Aero upgrade works well in India and Alonso wins hopefully..
    FORZA FERRARI FORZA FERNANDO ALONSO

Quote Originally Posted by amouzouris View Post
    Technical analysis on Ferrari's 'known' Korean updates:

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot...n-updates.html

and they are quite interesting!!
    Thank you so much,Mr Mouzouris!!! I am an avid follower of your excellent blog. The "updates" brought by Ferrari to Korea do show the full extent of the team's wind tunnel troubles. On the other hand,they appear to have closed the gap to McLaren in terms of performance over the past 2 races...and we must remember that FA was almost a second slower than LH in qualifying for the Singapore GP. So they have made some progress,but sadly,not enough to topple their other key rival,the Red Bulls....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Newey is 1 part of the aero department. The head of aero at RBR i rate more Peter Prodromou. If couldnt get Newey , go for this guy, easy.
    I dont think we need to go for either Newey or Prodromou. The design philosophy that these people might bring over to Ferrari might not be constructive in the long term. I think Tombazis is a capable enough designer,but a poor winter spent chasing unrealistic and ill-defined goals hurt us. Domenicali needs to show his leadership acumen,instead of overreacting whenever Ferrari's performances dont meet expectations. To be honest,McLaren hasnt exactly had a glorious time for the past 3-4 seasons either,yet i never find them panicking or losing focus of their targets. I think Ferrari need to carefully review their performance this season. I was shocked by the F2012 soon after its unveiling,it appeared as if Ferrari decided to design a radical car for the heck of it. And the exhaust and sidepod designs were obviously flawed...

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ansib View Post
    I am also a Pakistani.its pretty good to find a lot of us supporting Ferrari and Formula 1.BTW I pray that Alonso wins this year ;he is just begging Ferrari to give him a competitve car(not the fastest) and then he can take it from there.today the yellow flags didnt help Fernando in the openning stages because he was pretty close at the start to webber but couldnt deploy DRS even he got withing 1 second.things will inshaAllah(with God's help) work for Fernando in the coming races and the misfortune that hit him in Japan can happen to anyone even to Vettel..a
    couldn't have said it better.

Im not saying i want him, just saying RBR isnt all Newey and i rate Peter alot more. Nicholas is brilliant, and have done great job. Dont want anyone else. Just need the new working procedures to gel and we be back up there at the top. Plus with new tunnel being planned all looking up.

Only reason F2012 looked radical was the step nose, its no different to Force Indias, Renaults etc etc.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Im not saying i want him, just saying RBR isnt all Newey and i rate Peter alot more. Nicholas is brilliant, and have done great job. Dont want anyone else. Just need the new working procedures to gel and we be back up there at the top. Plus with new tunnel being planned all looking up.

Only reason F2012 looked radical was the step nose, its no different to Force Indias, Renaults etc etc.
    And the non-working acer tubes + front pull-rod

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees