Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DIEK View Post
    This is MP4-27 brake duct. They often use tape. F2012 has brake ducts on the other side of cover near tyre.

intresting article...NOT to do with ferrari however!

Mercedes runs ‘triple DRS’ at Spa

By Editor on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Photo credit: Mercedes AMG F1

Forget double-DRS, Mercedes has reportedly upped the ante and debuted a ‘triple-DRS’ concept at Spa.

The German squad pioneered the straightline speed-boosting idea this year, and at recent grands prix Lotus has been trying to get a similar system up and running.

Mercedes has now taken the next step, according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.

The publication on Saturday christened the Brackley based team’s new idea ‘triple-DRS’.

Nico Rosberg reportedly tested the new configuration – with the aerodynamics stalling at high speed in no fewer than three places when DRS is deployed – during Friday’s wet practice sessions.

Asked how it works, team boss Ross Brawn smiled: “We’ll leave that up to everyone’s imagination.

“We’ve looked at the Lotus system and drawn our conclusions,” he revealed. “Spa was a test in that direction.”

Auto Motor und Sport said the triple-DRS is not yet ready to race.

It was rumoured in recent days that McLaren might be the next to toy with theh double-DRS concept.

Technical director Paddy Lowe said on Saturday: “Until now, Mercedes has had only one imitator, and that’s Lotus. That shows how difficult it is to get a significant benefit from such a system.

“We are working on it, and if our ideas work the way we want them to, I imagine we will use it. Certainly not in the next two races,” he added.

The German publication said Red Bull might even have been ready to test some sort of innovation at the rear of the RB8 at Spa, but so far this weekend it has not been seen.

Auto Motor und Sport speculated that Adrian Newey pulled the innovation because of Friday’s washed out practice sessions.

double drs is the last problem for us.. we're really porr at the moment

At least Ferrari are better then the championship leading Bulls

Fernando for the first time raced the new turning vanes under the nose. They were at first used at Mugello test and raced only by Felipe.

We can finally forget about this car ever being a legitimate front runner. We just had a 5 week break, and they failed to deliver nothing but a few little tweaks, which is what they have been doing since Canada, and we end up being blown away by sauber and williams let alone the others. We are lucky to have Alonso flattering the car which is the worst Ferrari since the early 80s. In 1996 it was still 3rd best car roughly but now its revolving around 5-6th. If you want to know the truth pace just compare Kimi and Massa, who were team mates for two seasons. At Spa as team mates Massa was at quick as Kimi in qualifying yet was 1.3 seconds slower yesterday. That is the cold harsh truth.

Luckily Alonso has made the most out of the wet races because without them we would be pretty much gone. His average qualifying position in the dry is 7.4. That is midfield even before you compensate for Alonso's exceptional speed. I never bought the development hype, and it was clear to me we were constantly flattered by circumstances and luck. In the dry when everyone drives to their potential, we are nowhere with Massa in 14th, while nobodies like koybashi are on the front row. Pathetic really.

And im sick of the truth being labelled bashing. How long should you support complete incompetence? The last two seasons Ferrari have failed their supporters and drivers, they deserve everything they get, and the fan boys need to realise this.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    We can finally forget about this car ever being a legitimate front runner. We just had a 5 week break, and they failed to deliver nothing but a few little tweaks, which is what they have been doing since Canada, and we end up being blown away by sauber and williams let alone the others. We are lucky to have Alonso flattering the car which is the worst Ferrari since the early 80s. In 1996 it was still 3rd best car roughly but now its revolving around 5-6th. If you want to know the truth pace just compare Kimi and Massa, who were team mates for two seasons. At Spa as team mates Massa was at quick as Kimi in qualifying yet was 1.3 seconds slower yesterday. That is the cold harsh truth.

Luckily Alonso has made the most out of the wet races because without them we would be pretty much gone. His average qualifying position in the dry is 7.4. That is midfield even before you compensate for Alonso's exceptional speed. I never bought the development hype, and it was clear to me we were constantly flattered by circumstances and luck. In the dry when everyone drives to their potential, we are nowhere with Massa in 14th, while nobodies like koybashi are on the front row. Pathetic really.

And im sick of the truth being labelled bashing. How long should you support complete incompetence? The last two seasons Ferrari have failed their supporters and drivers, they deserve everything they get, and the fan boys need to realise this.
    This was expected though. Spa and Monza have specific packages as they low down force tracks and the setups for these races are not used anywhere else. We will not see our upgrades till Singapore so I wouldn't read too much in yesterday's times
    "Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    intresting article...NOT to do with ferrari however!

Mercedes runs ‘triple DRS’ at Spa

By Editor on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Photo credit: Mercedes AMG F1

Forget double-DRS, Mercedes has reportedly upped the ante and debuted a ‘triple-DRS’ concept at Spa.

The German squad pioneered the straightline speed-boosting idea this year, and at recent grands prix Lotus has been trying to get a similar system up and running.

Mercedes has now taken the next step, according to Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport.

The publication on Saturday christened the Brackley based team’s new idea ‘triple-DRS’.

Nico Rosberg reportedly tested the new configuration – with the aerodynamics stalling at high speed in no fewer than three places when DRS is deployed – during Friday’s wet practice sessions.

Asked how it works, team boss Ross Brawn smiled: “We’ll leave that up to everyone’s imagination.

“We’ve looked at the Lotus system and drawn our conclusions,” he revealed. “Spa was a test in that direction.”

Auto Motor und Sport said the triple-DRS is not yet ready to race.

It was rumoured in recent days that McLaren might be the next to toy with theh double-DRS concept.

Technical director Paddy Lowe said on Saturday: “Until now, Mercedes has had only one imitator, and that’s Lotus. That shows how difficult it is to get a significant benefit from such a system.

“We are working on it, and if our ideas work the way we want them to, I imagine we will use it. Certainly not in the next two races,” he added.

The German publication said Red Bull might even have been ready to test some sort of innovation at the rear of the RB8 at Spa, but so far this weekend it has not been seen.

Auto Motor und Sport speculated that Adrian Newey pulled the innovation because of Friday’s washed out practice sessions.
    They need a quadruple DRS by the look of things.

IMO the Lotus concept seems to be very complex. Not only they need to get it working properly (ie. divert the air at the right speed and reliably). The system also needs proper tuning for each different track to ensure the thing activate at a speed appropriate for the track.

I'll be surprised if they get it to work as intended

Truth hurts!

How long should you support complete incompetence?
    Through the hard times and the good. Leading the WDC against such strong competition is something to enjoy and pin a few hopes on.

Lol. "But there were others, like Ferrari..."

So he is some looser who wants to bash Ferrari for some reason. Or why would he choose to only mention Ferrari from the array of "others".

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

If they get away with it, why not? RedBull seem to wipe their bums with the paper those 'agreements' are written on, so why should Ferrari take that?
    I hope it was extra work on the big Singapore package.

P.S. you know Ferrari doing well when everyone calls them 'cheaters'!

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

The agreement is that the F1 team factories need to be closed. I don't remember there being any mention of the suppliers not being allowed to work! But I remember that all F1 activity must stop, and to whom does it apply?

Does anyone know for sure? Thx

Any new parts for Monza?

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    Any new parts for Monza?
    Yes a lot.
    All the parts Grosjean broke on Alonso's Ferrari.Hehe.

Ferrari always develop a special Monza pack. I read something about how they work on it during a long time, and the pack is devised a long time before the race.

I hope it is true, and I can believe that, as LdM and the tifosi are there.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Yes a lot.
    That made my day!

Yeah, Monza will have its own special aero package, mainly the front and rear wings.

The bigger upgrade will be in Singapore, if I recalled correctly. This will be the crucial one, as we cannot have another poor race like Hungary.

Hope they get enough parts to make them competitive again..Also enough spare parts..There are too many idiots driving F1 cars these days...
    Ferrari were competitve today...Massa was only 14 seconds behind Vettel..thats only 3 tenths for the entire lap.Im sure alonso would have done a better job after his mega start today...
    Cant wait till Monza!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Yes a lot.
    Exactly what i thought seeing that mess.

Hamilton uploads confidential data on twitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/I...tontelem-2.jpg

I followed Formula One for about 40 years. I think we actually have a very good group of drivers on the race track. Over the years I saw drivers that would crash into drivers at every race. Last year only Hamilton was the monster to cause so many incidents on the race track. This year he is much better and we only see the odd move from time to time. This race, there was the first turn error but the move that still stand out in my mind is the dive to pit lane move Schumacher made in front Vettel and they did not touch! Great reaction move be Vettel! Racing this year has been pretty safe and no one has gotten hurt.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!

Ted says Ferrari/Stefano told him they have improved the car quite a bit, so looking forward to Monza.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Ted says Ferrari/Stefano told him they have improved the car quite a bit, so looking forward to Monza.
    It better be. We all saw how comfortable 40 points lead was cut to "only" 24 now in just one race. I've put deliberately word only in quotes, because judging by McLaren and Red Bull pace, remaining 24 point could vanish pretty fast too. Ferrari need to give FA and FM faster car if they are to win WDC with FA. At this point of season, unfortunately CWC is I think out of reach... Sadly...
    Hope we can rebound at Monza. Victory will heal wounds from Belgian GP...

A DNF will off course hurt, but if Alonso was not taken out I think 2nd was certainly possible and 3rd at least.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    A DNF will off course hurt, but if Alonso was not taken out I think 2nd was certainly possible and 3rd at least.
    100% right. I agree with you. After JB stormed in Q3, I thought 2nd or 3rd is more than enough, because FA will increase lead over SV, MW and LH. For the time being JB is not a threat. But if car does not perform well and those guys above starts regular to score more points than FA, than we can say: "Houston, we have a problem..."

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

I have to agree..looking at the end of race pace of Massa, I would hazard a guess that
    Nando wouldve placed 2nd and been very close to the front. Grojguy really robbed us of an
    exciting race. I was really looking forward to Spa.

Its really a horrible feeling being left wondering what Alonso could do.

This is not to belittle Massa's ability at all, he had a great race himself. But the fact that Massa at times managed fastest lap and climbed all the way to P5 shows that the F2012 was actually quite competitive. I wouldn't count out the possibility that Alonso might have even given Button some trouble.

I think we can be confident in Monza.

Our early and ealry mid race performance didnt look that great. But, after Felipes 2nd stop we had pace. Can keep saying it, if Fernando wasnt torpedoed at the start, 3rd and maybe 2nd could of been his. Bring on Monza. If JB wins again Sunday coming and Fernando 2nd, i will take that. Be good for the WDC.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE