Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Alonso's fastest lap was lap 66. That says a lot about his and the F2012's pace. He had a bit left in case Button or Vettel challenged.

Fernando's fastest lap: 1:19.044
    Vettel's fastest lap: 1:19.469
    Button's fastest lap: 1:19.719

Source: http://www.formula1.com/results/seas...test_laps.html

Anybody knows our next big updates coming when?

what are the new updates?

Quote Originally Posted by jgdswaran View Post
    Anybody knows our next big updates coming when?

what are the new updates?
    I cannot confirm if this is true or not but rumor has it that Ferrari will be racing the new front wing this coming weekend which will also coincide with some slight changes to the rear of the car which they tested at Fiorano a while back. This will apparently serve as a birthday gift from Ferrari to Alonso and will only be raced him and him only. Massa will stick with the old configuration.
    Remember, it's just a rumor.
    "The client is not always right." - Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Jose-Lorca Fan View Post
    I cannot confirm if this is true or not but rumor has it that Ferrari will be racing the new front wing this coming weekend which will also coincide with some slight changes to the rear of the car which they tested at Fiorano a while back. This will apparently serve as a birthday gift from Ferrari to Alonso and will only be raced him and him only. Massa will stick with the old configuration.
    Could be true but the highlighted part doesn't make any sense to me

the 'birthday gift' thing might be right as a joke kind of way, but there is no way that only Alonso would get the parts.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

LOL, when did we test at Fiorano?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    LOL, when did we test at Fiorano?
    I said it was a rumour. This rumour i picked it off from F1technical website.

I read something somewhere about a filming day. i will try to find it.

EDIT: Damn, looked everywhere, but i do know that there will be a test at Magny Cours with Ferrari and Mercedes possibly.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101298
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 25th July 2012 at 12:44.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    I read something somewhere about a filming day. i will try to find it.
    I believe it was the one where they had those black boards up around the fences so no one could see.

The Italian reckons the Maranello squad's car has improved around three seconds since pre-season testing, when the team struggled for pace.

"Compared to the first winter tests in Jerez, we have perhaps improved by some three seconds per lap," he said. "But we have more ideas yet.

"There is a continuous development programme, so the parts that get on the track today were decided one or two months ago. In F1 if you stand still it's all over."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101489

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    The redbull was definitely faster than the ferrari..
    Alonso managed to be ahead because he pitted early(1st time)and the next time they pitted on the same lap..
    Actually Alonso stayed ahead through setting some pretty blistering times through sector 1 never letting Seb or Jenson be close enough at the start of the DRS zone. That was one of the best ever races in terms of management from the cockpit I think I've ever seen.

To add to the earliar rumor, it appears that Ferrari will be tilting their engine in order to improve their car. This comes as a massive surprise as it would possibly require extensive work around the rear of the car at mid-point of the season.
    I ask myself what advantages would tilting the engine bring to the F2012?

To add to the earliar rumor, it appears that Ferrari will be tilting their engine in order to improve their car. This comes as a massive surprise as it would possibly require extensive work around the rear of the car at mid-point of the season.
    Rumours suggest its anything from, making more space at the back to move the fuel cell in an attempt to improve low fuel pace, to reducing internal drag by moving things around in order to help with reducing drag.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo says team cannot ease off given strength of rivals
    By Pablo Elizalde Wednesday, July 25th 2012, 16:37 GMT

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo says he remains "concerned" about the championship situation despite Fernando Alonso's third win of the season.

Montezemolo said after Alonso's second win of the season in Valencia that he was worried about his team's chances in the championship given the strong opposition.

Despite Alonso becoming the first three-time winner of the 2012 season at Hockenheim, opening a gap of 36 points to his closest rival, the Ferrari president says the form of his rivals is still a concern.

"I am concerned, more so than the day after Valencia," said Montezemolo. "I see very strong opponents: McLaren has made great progress, Red Bull is very strong, Sauber had a race pace that was a match for ours and Lotus is very strong at times.

"Therefore, we have to be very careful: after we had a difficult start to the season, maybe our rivals did not expect to see Ferrari capable of fighting back this strongly, but now they will redouble their efforts to beat us. Therefore, we must stay very focused and continue our efforts to improve continuously."

Di Montezemolo, however, expressed his joy at the team's performance in Germany, also praising the work done by team boss Stefano Domenicali.

"I want to tell you I am proud of you," he said. "When I watched you applauding the drivers, I was thinking that I am lucky to work with people like you, people who have known how to work without fuss, with ability and determination to redress the difficult situation at the start of the season, which was not at the level of the name Ferrari.

"I want to take this opportunity to thank Domenicali for his work. When, a few years ago, it was decided to go for a man who had grown from within the company, there were some who turned up their noses at the idea, but today I am pleased to see a true leader of a team that is doing well, which is what I want and which is worthy of the name Ferrari."

i'm not so sure about this, all that effort and time when they could stick to the normal development route!! if it is true lets hope it brings large rewards!

I believe it was the one where they had those black boards up around the fences so no one could see.
    Didn't happen. Would be futile. Ferrari aren't that.

Looks like we have a new front wing for Hungary:

What are the differences between new and old?

Well presumably the new one is covered.

They are going for the enginr position found in the F10.Interesting.Well see wat happens

New photos of FW and RW

Looks like we will be using the new wings this week...Finally!!

Looks like new rear wing. For example there are no v-cuts in the flap.

Quote Originally Posted by wacc View Post
    Looks like new rear wing. For example there are no v-cuts in the flap.
    This one has been already tested in Germany but Alonso drove old one with v-cuts...

It seems also that exhaust has changed...different body work aroun exhaust!!!:

Compared to our FW, the williams' looks complex.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/06/29...williams-fw34/

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    It seems also that exhaust has changed...different body work aroun exhaust!!!:
    They need better cooling this weekend. So the sidepod outlet got bigger it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfinemess View Post
    Compared to our FW, the williams' looks complex.

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2012/06/29...williams-fw34/
    em...where are they in terms or performance??? that's right, NO WHERE....
    it don't matter how complex you make it, it's how GOOD it's working....muahhahhaha
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by Fer12 View Post
    Looks like we will be using the new wings this week...Finally!!
    Not so sure, rain expected for the race although FP1 thru to qualy should be dry
    "Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."

Quote Originally Posted by Sempre_Ferrari View Post
    Not so sure, rain expected for the race although FP1 thru to qualy should be dry
    It is kind of humid and cloudy here at the moment. Since Monday every night there was some rain, last night very heavy almost all night rain just few kms from the race track. I am sure there will be rain this week-end, it is generally predicted by the weather service, the only question is when and generally it will be hot.