Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

The real problem is having the computer model set up to better match trackside conditions. We are hearing so many comments and advise from so many people, I have to laugh. Well if Ferrari had the problems with the Wind Tunnel and Correlation issue, we would not see the F2012 so strong right now. The fact is, the last 3 to 5 / 10's is the most difficult to overcome. There is the only real issue Ferrari have to overcome and match the McLaren & Red Bull race cars at this time. Yes, Ferrari is having some problems finding the last 3 to 5 / 10's. The undates Ferrari are trying to find the last 3 to 5 / 10's buy have been falling short of the CFD and Windtunnel data expecetations. Ferrari have to widen the scope of the variables in the CFD and Windtunnel to better match the Trackside conditions. I think this is their biggest shortcoming at this time, not an actual Windtunnel issue. The issue is matching the Track conditions in the Windtunnel and CFd models. This is not impossible but takes a HUGE amount of work to have the "Model" set up correctly in order to reap the most accurate development results!

That's it in a nutshell.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Wind tunnel problems, they are going to close it in December or January and go to other wind tunnel that frikin works

Everything here in Italian.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2m69vyc.png
    Built in 1997, its designer, Renzo Piano and still giving problems after 15 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Built in 1997, its designer, Renzo Piano and still giving problems after 15 years!!
    The same man who designed the Shard

Breaking News:

Ferrari in there is going to important strategic interventions for the development of the sector Formula 1. This was confirmed by Luca Cordero di Montezemolo from the Paris Motor Show 2012, where the Prancing Horse presents the world premiere of the new composite frame directly derived from F1.

It is part of the investment plan for the development of the new wind tunnel. The one currently used, designed by Renzo Piano, was the real Achilles heel of the Red Army in recent years because - often - provides conflicting data with the findings in real track. This is not a particularly by little, considering the role of aerodynamics in modern Formula One. In the meantime, the team will rely on external structures, such as the former Toyota in Cologne, in order to allow a complete reconstruction of the imposing structure. The work should start as soon as next November and should be completed in January 2015.

Perhaps Ferrari could reach out to the world class Italian aerospace community for help. Oh, wait...never mind.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    What?
    Just read Gary Anderson analysis of rear wing which failed last race. Other upgrades like front wing and brake ducts were good which should not happen with bad correlation. Possibly issue was what they tried was too complex and involved interference from exhausts which is a black art. Pushed too far in concept like exhausts at start of the year? 2nd time they have pushed an over complex concept? Covering themselves from a bigger media backlash due to same mistake and using the wt correlation card to cover themseves somewhat?

Comment above about Italian aerospace, was this a misguided attempt at sarcastic humour?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Nick View Post
    Perhaps Ferrari could reach out to the world class Italian aerospace community for help. Oh, wait...never mind.
    And your point is ?

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    Just read Gary Anderson analysis of rear wing which failed last race. Other upgrades like front wing and brake ducts were good which should not happen with bad correlation. Possibly issue was what they tried was too complex and involved interference from exhausts which is a black art. Pushed too far in concept like exhausts at start of the year? 2nd time they have pushed an over complex concept? Covering themselves from a bigger media backlash due to same mistake and using the wt correlation card to cover themseves somewhat?

Comment above about Italian aerospace, was this a misguided attempt at sarcastic humour?
    Could you kindly share the link of Gary Anderson's assessment of recent Ferrari updates...thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre B View Post
    Breaking News:

Ferrari in there is going to important strategic interventions for the development of the sector Formula 1. This was confirmed by Luca Cordero di Montezemolo from the Paris Motor Show 2012, where the Prancing Horse presents the world premiere of the new composite frame directly derived from F1.

It is part of the investment plan for the development of the new wind tunnel. The one currently used, designed by Renzo Piano, was the real Achilles heel of the Red Army in recent years because - often - provides conflicting data with the findings in real track. This is not a particularly by little, considering the role of aerodynamics in modern Formula One. In the meantime, the team will rely on external structures, such as the former Toyota in Cologne, in order to allow a complete reconstruction of the imposing structure. The work should start as soon as next November and should be completed in January 2015.
    Sounds like a good plan to me. If we can't fix the current one after so many attempts, perhaps its time to scrap it and build a new one. As Albert Einstein said, its insanity when one tries the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result.

Meanwhile, using the Toyota's wind tunnel is a good thing until we have our own proper tunnel. Saves us lots of headache.

How's our engine usage up too now? The spa engine did not do a lot of mileage on it, can't wait for Suzuka, think we will be strong there, at least a match for the bulls and closer to maclaren

Quote Originally Posted by blaney1977 View Post
    How's our engine usage up too now? The spa engine did not do a lot of mileage on it, can't wait for Suzuka, think we will be strong there, at least a match for the bulls and closer to maclaren
    On engine we are in best situation compared to redbull and mclaren..
    We have used one less engine than them upto now..
    As for Suzuka,if the upgrades work i think we can be fighting for front row and victories.

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    On engine we are in best situation compared to redbull and mclaren..
    We have used one less engine than them upto now..
    As for Suzuka,if the upgrades work i think we can be fighting for front row and victories.
    Where are we exactly with engines, i know we have 8 engines for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by mirafiori View Post
    http://www.vivaf1.com/reliability.php

click on engine cycle.

It doesn't tell us which engine was used where, but it does tell us where we introduced a new engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

Meanwhile, using the Toyota's wind tunnel is a good thing until we have our own proper tunnel. Saves us lots of headache.
    Were we not using the Toyota wind tunnel before?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mirafiori View Post
    So far Fernando has used 6 engines this year, including the one in Spa, which shouldn't be too bad.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quick question:
    How are those wind tunnel issues gone influence our development program gor the rest of the season?And the data from the Toyota tunnel alone will be sufficient?
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Quick question:
    How are those wind tunnel issues gone influence our development program gor the rest of the season?And the data from the Toyota tunnel alone will be sufficient?
    Windtunnel plays in important role in that it simulates the flow and is on of the most important technique to check if the updates are giving the expected result..
    If a team has wind tunnel problems then there might be a conflict in the data between the wind tunnel and actual track which Ferrari seems to be suffering..
    So if they do not get the current updates working then they have to spend more time on it again instead of concentrating on future developments..

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    We were using it in 2011,dont know about 2012..but i think we can use it again for better co-relation..

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    If I recalled correctly, we did use the Toyota wind tunnel last year to compare the data which was when we realize our wind tunnel is having problem. Ferrari then upgraded the wind tunnel last year.

It seams it's going to be dry weekend in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Just abit from article, my Italian ok, getting better, but not great so do all of it so got good friend to help me...

“We have to improve the car – this is fundamental. Yesterday had 3 hour meeting at Maranello. We need assurances that what you try out in the factory we can confirm on the track.”

Talking about the Galleria Vento : wind tunnel.
    Question : Same old story of the wind tunnel that promises answers but then on a circuit like Singapore we take a step backwards.
    LCdM: Yes, this is so. But the real issues is that data does not reflect this and so causes more confusion. Domenicali came to the conclusion to close the wind tunnel and rely on the actual test. This requires time. I don’t know if it will happen in December or January. I have absolute faith in Domenicali.

Question: in the meantime Alonso is struggling
    LCdM: We will give him our all to get him the Championship. He deserves it. Alonso has stunned me for three reasons: he is tactical and in the race itself the strongest driver, we have never had this at Ferrari; he knows how to charge the team in delicate moments, he is often at maranello and helps develop in the simulator where we were very much behind.

. and he (Alonso) defends Massa: are you surprised?
    LCdM: it shows that there’s harmony in the team. And he is right on the fact that there are not many phenomenal drivers around. But first Fernando should win the Championship and then we will not partner him with anyone who annoys him. Obviously, the decision on drivers is ours, but we will share this with him. Massa has been very strong in the last two races and I have given myself another few days to reflect on what to do.

Question: The FIA wans half a million subscription fee from the teams in 2013. Where is this going to come from?
    LCdM: This annoys me and I don’t know

Question: Is it correct that in the future only 6 teams out of the 12 will make the rules and no one wants on-track testing?
    LCdM: I am not sure that it will end this way, As to the test, these are necessary and I will insist, not only to carry out promotional activities for the sponsors, but also to test new talent. The simulator is not enough.

Q: Briatore is becoming a TV god: will we see him back in F1. Have you ever thought of him for Ferrari?
    LCdM: I have never thought of him, but he would have great talent to manage the commercial and innovative aspect of F1. In that role he would indeed be a resource.
    thanks mate, really hopefull

Mai Dare Sulla Speranza, Forza Ferrari!!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    It seams it's going to be dry weekend in Japan.
    A wet weekend would have masked the car's weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by SoumyaBanerjee View Post
    LOL negative even before a wheel is turned, bravo.
    Forza Ferrari

CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

As if our cars are the Caterhams??
    Ferrari will be strong this weekend.......

According to AccuWeather, there will be periods of rain on Sunday:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/jp/suz...t/218916?day=7
    Mark Webber: "If you push to try and pass you kill the tyres but if you wait, then you find you're on the same strategy and finish behind them anyway".

@ Kwi Nick,

Your Way Out Of Line!!!! The Italy have one of the finest Space Program in the World and there have been Many Italian Astronauts in space and they built several modules of the Space Station!!!!! Stop Your Disrespectful comments immediately. Ferrari will sort out the problem. The Windtunnel they have at the Factory is Old now by F1 Standards so they have work to do.