Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Thanks for the great images @wacc

great pictures, it looks more and more like the airflow from the exhaust is being channeled towards the rear tyres.. i could be wrong though, although redbulls new floors looks promising

FP3 at Valenicia:

Ferrari will run the old wing. The new one probably needs some modifying and then it might be used in Silverstone. [Fernando talked about it after FP2. He said some updates, he was not specific]

I really like the looks of the new flat brake duct thing...
    Hope it helps with the top speed

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I really like the looks of the new flat brake duct thing...
    Hope it helps with the top speed
    I'm glad you think it looks good...at least it has aesthetics on its side. Unfortunately, looks doesn't equal points.

Have you seen Red Bull's exhausts? It's now connected to the floor and diffuser!!! They've done it again, they're blowing!

http://clausell-f1.com/?p=353

It cannot be legal or Ferrari have to copy it ASAP.

P.S. Some more info: http://mccabism.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...floor.html?m=0
    Last edited by Grillo; 23rd June 2012 at 15:05. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    Have you seen Red Bull's exhausts? It's now connected to the floor and diffuser!!! They've done it again, they're blowing!

Holy hell! This cannot be happening! OMG no Teams must stop this or we will see this great season being destroyed by the Red Cowards

Yeh pretty sophisticated, plus the air coming from the side of the car looks to be channeled underneath to the diffuser, a look underneath wold be interesting.
    RB.jpg

Adian Newey seems to be very good with these wacky aero ideas

that Red Bull on the back looks so much advanced than the other cars.

This is not such a "Wacky" idea. I have been talking about this concept simnce the season started. I think Ferrari has been trying to employ the same concept with the Rory Byrne floor. Ferrari have had a huge amount of Drag associated with the air flow through the sidepods and the best use of exhaust gases. The Red Bull Design is just a logical direction to have air flow. Good for them for employing a new process to handle air flow at the floor.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Newey has done it again. There's something that gives Vettel the edge in Q3. He gained half a second from Q2 while the next best was Hamilton who gained just 2 tenths. Oh, and don't tell me he's Superman or Senna, Clark and Schumacher in one man. He suffered when the car wasn't to his liking at the start of the season like any other or more. Bollocks!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18551261

If their car is legal...
    Last edited by Grillo; 23rd June 2012 at 22:03.

[QUOTE=FrankAlfa;733048]This is not such a "Wacky" idea. I have been talking about this concept since the season started. I think Ferrari has been trying to employ the same concept with the Rory Byrne floor. Ferrari have had a huge amount of Drag associated with the air flow through the sidepods and the best use of exhaust gases. The Red Bull Design is just a logical direction to have air flow. Good for them for employing a new process to handle air flow at the floor.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, if it's within the rules and Red Bull are being innovative then good luck to them .... it was always going to be difficult for Ferrari to play catch up and as I have stated previously other teams weren't going to sit back waiting for Ferrari to catch them in the development area. I agree with other posters, yes, let's see how the race pans out but it would also be nice to stamp some air of authority in qualifying as well! To coin a phrase I think this car is 'mutton dressed up as lamb'

[QUOTE=Alfa159;733055]
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    This is not such a "Wacky" idea. I have been talking about this concept since the season started. I think Ferrari has been trying to employ the same concept with the Rory Byrne floor. Ferrari have had a huge amount of Drag associated with the air flow through the sidepods and the best use of exhaust gases. The Red Bull Design is just a logical direction to have air flow. Good for them for employing a new process to handle air flow at the floor.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, if it's within the rules and Red Bull are being innovative then good luck to them .... it was always going to be difficult for Ferrari to play catch up and as I have stated previously other teams weren't going to sit back waiting for Ferrari to catch them in the development area. I agree with other posters, yes, let's see how the race pans out but it would also be nice to stamp some air of authority in qualifying as well! To coin a phrase I think this car is 'mutton dressed up as lamb'

...whose car?? our car is, or red fools?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRebel40 View Post
    that Red Bull on the back looks so much advanced than the other cars.
    He is playing chess while the rest are playing checkers. Its pathetic really. The other solutions are so basic and similar, but newey creates new visions and concepts, thats why hes a genius, and why vettel is flying again, after struggling without his little exhaust tricks saving him.

I am supremely impressed with Newey's idea. Perhaps we'll see double floors in the near future.

The "Double Floor" concept is nothing new. It has been tried many times for the past 20+ years. Lets not forget that Newey is not the man to create ALL THINGS at Red Bull. They have very advanced software and a huge team of Engineers. Lets give credit where credit is due. Just having a "Double Floor" doesn't mean the car goes faster. There is a lot to it. It would be interesting to see what air is feeding the Diffuser??? My guess is they are trying to feed ALL of the air flow in and around the sidepods and maybe steal some of the air feeding the rear wing to work the diffuser more!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

so while we've been trying to get our exhaust, floor and diffuser working at the highest level, redbull have gone and made an "all in one" version which makes ours look like last century. well done to them for being innovative. no longer are ferrari the team to be copied but the team doing the copying.

Why would it be illegal? It's within the defined area. Every team is trying to seal or blow the diffuser, even us!

Quote Originally Posted by giodap View Post
    so while we've been trying to get our exhaust, floor and diffuser working at the highest level, redbull have gone and made an "all in one" version which makes ours look like last century. well done to them for being innovative. no longer are ferrari the team to be copied but the team doing the copying.
    hey it's been like that since Domenicali took over. Yes he's not responsible directly, but his team is, he has power to sign/release people, granted he's not using it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad-Ferrari View Post
    Why would it be illegal? It's within the defined area. Every team is trying to seal or blow the diffuser, even us!
    That's FIA's job, isn't it? McLaren and Ferrari will analyse the footage of Vettel's Q3 and they'll see if there's some strange sound like an engine blowing or whatever. I've talked to people with some technical knowledge that reckon their engine sound like off-throttle blowing in Q3.

In summary, I don't know whether it's legal or illegal. If it's legal Ferrari have to copy it or bring some other solution that makes the car competitive in Q3.

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaJay View Post
    Yeh pretty sophisticated, plus the air coming from the side of the car looks to be channeled underneath to the diffuser, a look underneath wold be interesting.
    RB.jpg
    Ask and you shall receive

Back to Ferrari, the team brought a new floor that was used during Quali & the race. Circled is the largest difference I've found thus far

masterpiece
    -> -> ->

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial_Xtreme View Post
    Ask and you shall receive

Back to Ferrari, the team brought a new floor that was used during Quali & the race. Circled is the largest difference I've found thus far

Wow. Such a big never before seen concept!?!?!

i just saw the FP3 video, fernando went to the pit, and say something on the radio

"we need to clear all this photographers, cameras and everything with eye that we can" .

somethings is being hidden? upgrades for silverstone?

Quote Originally Posted by qb_marukochan View Post
    i just saw the FP3 video, fernando went to the pit, and say something on the radio

"we need to clear all this photographers, cameras and everything with eye that we can" .

somethings is being hidden? upgrades for silverstone?
    No wonder they did so few laps yest...

in friday practice a few weeks ago alguersuari was talking to the bbc on 5 live and when vettel's car came past him, he seemed really surprised by the engine note. and he actually said, vettels car sounds different to everyone elses at this particular part of the track. im amazed none of the media have picked up on this but its obvious that red bull have some kind of hidden engine blowing/ engine mapping trick up there sleeve...... here we go again!
    That's FIA's job, isn't it? McLaren and Ferrari will analyse the footage of Vettel's Q3 and they'll see if there's some strange sound like an engine blowing or whatever. I've talked to people with some technical knowledge that reckon their engine sound like off-throttle blowing in Q3.

In summary, I don't know whether it's legal or illegal. If it's legal Ferrari have to copy it or bring some other solution that makes the car competitive in Q3.

Quote Originally Posted by giodap View Post
    in friday practice a few weeks ago alguersuari was talking to the bbc on 5 live and when vettel's car came past him, he seemed really surprised by the engine note. and he actually said, vettels car sounds different to everyone elses at this particular part of the track. im amazed none of the media have picked up on this but its obvious that red bull have some kind of hidden engine blowing/ engine mapping trick up there sleeve...... here we go again!

Is it possible (within the rules) that they are running their engine closer to its limit? So close, that it caused Vettel's failiure this weekend?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

You take out Vettel's RedBull (still need to see if that pace will repeat itself in other tracks less suited to RB)
    And I can't see any other car that is properly faster than F2012.

Quali needs work, and I think to catch RedBull more work is needed.

But luckily next race is Silverstone, where Ferrari has rolled out a major package the last couple of years, and rumours say they will again.
    However so will McLaren, it seems and they will. OT be so bad again there, so I think they will be a lot closer.

But Ferrari should be there in the fight.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Wow, what an idea...when watching Q for Spain, it looked, as all year, that the RB is also able to brake much later
    and closes right up on the car they r following.
    Im sure if the RB floor was illegal, people would be screaming...meaning the other teams.