Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    0.5 gain is possible in one shot..remember Ferrari gained 0.7-1.0sec in Spain with a massive update..
    and 0.3 might put us on par with RB but i hope we gain more than that..
    Il take that right now! Big push at the right time. Hopefully we're on the right track now

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    Even though both drivers' DNFs have yielded nil points, for analysis' sake, there is a big difference between a DNF caused by reliability problems, and a passive DNF due to some idiot crashing you out.

This is why, as many have said, Alonso deserves this WDC more than Vettel.
    A good point.
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Even though both drivers' DNFs have yielded nil points, for analysis' sake, there is a big difference between a DNF caused by reliability problems, and a passive DNF due to some idiot crashing you out.

because they had nothing to do with 'the team letting the driver down' or 'the driver letting the team down'

RedBull shouldn't be mourning their bad luck with their reliability issues, they should be finding better alternators, just Ferrari instead of blaming the wind tunnel, they should find/make a better WT.

I think Vettel would have gained around 40 points off Alonso from his DNFs, while Alonso lost 39 points off Vettel at least from DNFs on top of a car being (marginally) slower than Vettel's most of the year.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Its great we have the developments done and partially tested, BUT:-

Having read this article http://www.asianage.com/racing/f1-te...an-customs-009

F1 teams still wary of Indian customs
    Oct 22, 2012 - C. Santhosh Kumar | DC | Chennai

Tags: Formula One Indian Grand Prix Vicky Chandhok

The turbulent run-up to the inaugural Indian Grand Prix last year created such a scare that Formula One teams are still wary of the country's bureaucratic hurdles.
    The 2012 F1 season has reached a crucial stage and both drivers' and constructors' titles are still up for grabs, but top teams are worried that new equipment, flown in at the last minute to boost performance at this weekend's Indian GP, may get stuck at Customs.
    Vicky Chandhok, president of the Federation of Motorsport Clubs in India, says the government is doing little to facilitate the smooth conduct of the event, despite the organisers -Jaypee Group -“donating `10 crore every year towards the national sports development fund as a condition for getting sports ministry's clearance“.
    “We were asked to get permission again this year, though we have clearance for seven years in principle. Unlike other F1 venues (such as Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Malaysia and Singapore), the Indian GP is a 100 percent private project and there is no financial support from the government. We are not using any government property either. We are aware that the process of getting Customs clearance is tedious.
    Organisers are ready to pay temporary import duty; all they want is smooth clearance,” said Chandhok.
    When equipment is imported for sporting events, the sports ministry issues a certificate on the basis of which the Customs department releases exemption notification. provided there is a guarantee that the equipment would be sent back.
    For the Commonwealth Games and the cricket World Cup, these certificates were issued.
    But, the ministry refused to give duty exemption to Formula 1 terming it “of no national importance“ and Jaypee Group took the responsibility of paying it on behalf of the teams. Once the F1 consignments landed in New Delhi, they paid temporary import duty, and it was reclaimed on payment of 2 to 5 per cent as administration fee — estimated to be around `8 crore last year.
    According to McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe, “Indian GP is the most awkward race of the year in terms of Customs issues.”
    Ferrari’s sporting director Massimo Rivola said the Customs rule in India is a bit of a problem “That is a fact. We try to maximise what we can do at the factory in order not to go to India with an extra shipment because the risk is that we won’t get the extra shipment on the track. And also, even if you get it there, you won’t know if you can bring it to the following race. So it is a bit of a gamble,” Rivola was quoted as saying.

THis I friend very troubling,

Its time to get the Crucifixes, Prayer Mats and chicken bones out and

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Its great we have the developments done and partially tested, BUT:-

Having read this article http://www.asianage.com/racing/f1-te...an-customs-009

F1 teams still wary of Indian customs
    Oct 22, 2012 - C. Santhosh Kumar | DC | Chennai

Tags: Formula One Indian Grand Prix Vicky Chandhok

The turbulent run-up to the inaugural Indian Grand Prix last year created such a scare that Formula One teams are still wary of the country's bureaucratic hurdles.
    The 2012 F1 season has reached a crucial stage and both drivers' and constructors' titles are still up for grabs, but top teams are worried that new equipment, flown in at the last minute to boost performance at this weekend's Indian GP, may get stuck at Customs.
    Vicky Chandhok, president of the Federation of Motorsport Clubs in India, says the government is doing little to facilitate the smooth conduct of the event, despite the organisers -Jaypee Group -“donating `10 crore every year towards the national sports development fund as a condition for getting sports ministry's clearance“.
    “We were asked to get permission again this year, though we have clearance for seven years in principle. Unlike other F1 venues (such as Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Malaysia and Singapore), the Indian GP is a 100 percent private project and there is no financial support from the government. We are not using any government property either. We are aware that the process of getting Customs clearance is tedious.
    Organisers are ready to pay temporary import duty; all they want is smooth clearance,” said Chandhok.
    When equipment is imported for sporting events, the sports ministry issues a certificate on the basis of which the Customs department releases exemption notification. provided there is a guarantee that the equipment would be sent back.
    For the Commonwealth Games and the cricket World Cup, these certificates were issued.
    But, the ministry refused to give duty exemption to Formula 1 terming it “of no national importance“ and Jaypee Group took the responsibility of paying it on behalf of the teams. Once the F1 consignments landed in New Delhi, they paid temporary import duty, and it was reclaimed on payment of 2 to 5 per cent as administration fee — estimated to be around `8 crore last year.
    According to McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe, “Indian GP is the most awkward race of the year in terms of Customs issues.”
    Ferrari’s sporting director Massimo Rivola said the Customs rule in India is a bit of a problem “That is a fact. We try to maximise what we can do at the factory in order not to go to India with an extra shipment because the risk is that we won’t get the extra shipment on the track. And also, even if you get it there, you won’t know if you can bring it to the following race. So it is a bit of a gamble,” Rivola was quoted as saying.

THis I friend very troubling,

Its time to get the Crucifixes, Prayer Mats and chicken bones out and
    That news is a bit old and the Ferrari team will be aware of it and will have taken necessary action to make sure that the upgrades reach the track..
    I Will End My Career At Ferrari...

That news is a bit old and the Ferrari team will be aware of it and will have taken necessary action to make sure that the upgrades reach the track..
    Yes it has been discussed before.

Please note the date of the article that is as of today.

And this year Jaypee have not been able to clear the way as they did last year.

I am hoping that we (Ferrari) have been able to send those important new updates in time and that the India customs wont delay them.

They would have had to make 2 more sets before the tests were completed and dispatched them to India untried to be sure of having them at the race.
    Last edited by Ken; 22nd October 2012 at 11:49.

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    McLaren are in big trouble with the engines.Their 8th units have two race behind them,and four race more to come in this year.This is 6 races in a row,which is a lot of milage for god results,at last in 2-3 last races
    People dont get your hopes high cos of engine usage. Its common thing in season for one team to use their used engines (from previous races), its part of strategy...when you look here: http://www.vivaf1.com/reliability.php
    you will see that Maccas can/will use engines 1, 4 or 6 again cos they had just 1 race with them...lack of engines and their mileage wont decide this seasons championship...

Quote Originally Posted by Fer12 View Post
    Customs should not be a problem for Ferrari...The Indian ambassador to Italy has met up with Luca D n also he visited the factory last year with the entire diplomatic team...
    I think the politics of it all would have sorted out the issues..
    Great stuff. Wonder if it can be arranged as per italian grand prix in 1976 i think when italian custome would not let the mclaren through for being to wide then after the weekend just let it go. Would be funny to arrange for RB to be imponded.

Alonso lost big points in the 2 Dnf. If not for those 2 bad luck, we will still be ahead.

We will win this one, I am quite confident. But if we loose due to bad luck, that's not much any amount of tenths that will do.

We should be ahead if not for those 2 dnfs..

There will be some tracks that RBR will find the same fate.

Quote Originally Posted by mark p View Post
    Great stuff. Wonder if it can be arranged as per italian grand prix in 1976 i think when italian custome would not let the mclaren through for being to wide then after the weekend just let it go. Would be funny to arrange for RB to be imponded.
    Fingers crossed you are right

Wait, so because of some Indian customs BS, Ferrari might not be able to bring the new parts to the track??? That's completely absurd! What on earth is going on there?!

0.5 gain is possible in one shot...remember Ferrari gained 0.7-1.0sec in Spain with a massive update ..
    and 0.3 might put us on par with RB but i hope we gain more than that..
    Yea, the way we improved the car before the Spanish GP was just beautiful. It's days like this that make me believe that we still have a very good shot at this title. Ferrari can make up huge performance gaps with new updates, we've all seen it happening before and I really can't see any reason why it can't happen again.
    Nothing is over yet!

Yea that's true. Red Cow with it's reliability issues and Vettel with his very questionable driving manoeuvres have been making bad luck for themselves, but our team has just been an innocent victim in both Nando's DNFs. So yea, like you said, there's a big difference in passive DNF and active DNF. In that sense Nando has definitely been the unluckier one. If there hadn't been those two very unfortunate crashes, then Alonso would still be leading the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso84 View Post
    Yea, the way we improved the car before the Spanish GP was just beautiful. It's days like this that make me believe that we still have a very good shot at this title. Ferrari can make up huge performance gaps with new updates, we've all seen it happening before and I really can't see any reason why it can't happen again.
    Nothing is over yet!
    I agree that was fantastic at the Spanish GP when we made a massive step with the car. Going forward to India after recent speculation with the development of the car, i am expecting us being a lot closer to RB on race pace. Cant wait for Sunday i have a good feeling we will do well. You can tell Ferrari are pushing like mad.

Wait, so because of some Indian customs BS, Ferrari might not be able to bring the new parts to the track??? That's completely absurd! What on earth is going on there?!
    Same feelings here. Really, i would be devastated if we're affected by this in any way. But being ferrari, we'd have found a way out i guess

Quote Originally Posted by LightAmaterasu View Post
    Same feelings here. Really, i would be devastated if we're affected by this in any way. But being ferrari, we'd have found a way out i guess
    Do you have any new information on this matter? Did they get through customs or not?

Do you have any new information on this matter? Did they get through customs or not?
    http://www.asianage.com/racing/f1-te...an-customs-009

This one posted by ken earlier is i believe the latest news about the customs. when more info available, will deffo share

edit : http://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/f1...-indian-f1-gp/

this one was an hour ago. doesn't say much though.

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    People dont get your hopes high cos of engine usage. Its common thing in season for one team to use their used engines (from previous races), its part of strategy...when you look here: http://www.vivaf1.com/reliability.php
    you will see that Maccas can/will use engines 1, 4 or 6 again cos they had just 1 race with them...lack of engines and their mileage wont decide this seasons championship...
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

I think that when one unit is replaced with another one,the first unit can not be drive except in the fridays free trenings.until the and of the season,the 8th unit of Mclaren can be used in every race.in fridays probes they can use every unit driven in the past races.

I think I am no wrong

PC.I am sorry for my bad English

It doesnt really have anything to do with the thread...but i have started a F1 tires explanation series

here is Part1: http://technicalf1explained.blogspot...respart-1.html

and here is Part 2: http://technicalf1explained.blogspot...respart-2.html

I read this as because of an indian tradition Ferrari can't have new updates on the car.
    Last edited by Red passion; 22nd October 2012 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by amouzouris View Post
    It doesnt really have anything to do with the thread...but i have started a F1 tires explanation series

here is Part1: http://technicalf1explained.blogspot...respart-1.html

and here is Part 2: http://technicalf1explained.blogspot...respart-2.html
    Thanks for links.
    Incredible job.

Quote Originally Posted by Red passion View Post
    I read this as because of an indian tradition Ferrari can't have new updates on the car.
    Well it seems to be a tradition as well.
    Second year in a row, and still they can't fix this problem. That's really sad.

I'd stop them in customs too though Attach the front wing to a baggage trolley and run around making car sounds. Fingers crossed everything gets through okay. Looking forward to seeing what we bring and and how it performs.

I really doubt customs will be a problem.Maybe for other teams but not for Ferrari!!Ppl here manage to get supercars here by not following the right policies,im sure an automotive legend can move few boxes arnd...

Sorry, I think this thread is about how many tenths Ferrari should gain to fight for front row, and whether or not we can gain that many tenths. All luck/bad luck debates are pretty irrelevant.

There is no reason for such frustration..All the teams were well aware of this and should have taken the necessary steps to make sure their updates reach to the track..so lets wait and see in FP1..

Nothing is over yet!
    Well said..nobody thought that Ferrari would improve by that much but they did..
    Again everybody thinks Ferrari have no answer to the development of RedBull but this time also Ferrari will prove them wrong.

Actually from the administration's point of view, it's not a "problem" at all, it's just the way the rules are. It's not 'tradition' either. Embarrassing for the fans in india, but it will take a while for F1 to be given any special importance. Cricket is the only sport favored and recognized by higher authorities, unfortunately. And since cricket doesn't involve any last minute arrival of any updates, i'm sure F1 is looked at (by the govt. ) with quite some incomprehension.