Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Ferrari all out with new components at private test

Ferrari are in attack mode in an attempt to get back in a fighting position for race wins and the championship. The team have recently completed a 'secret' straight line test where a new F2012 chassis was run by Ferrari's young academy driver Davide Rigon.

Nikolas Tombazis, Ferrari's chief aerodynamicst, confirmed this in Ferrari Racing News: "When you have issues with the correlation between the track and the windtunnel, the best thing to do is verify things on track, which we did during a straightline test that we completed last week. We got some very interersting answers and some very clear trends about what was wrong and we believe we have taken steps to recover that."

Notably, Ferrari introduced several updates during the last 4 races that failed to work, and Tombazis even confirmed they actually had a negative effect on the car's performance. The team has however decided to upgrade its own tunnel as they are now sure it has fallen behind compared to newer wind tunnels of other teams. Until those changes are completed, Ferrari will rent other tunnels, notably the windtunnel of TMG at Cologne where the Toyota F1 team was based.

On the other hand, Italian magazine Autosprint found out new parts will be brought to every single of the 4 races left in this championship, beginning with the Indian GP in 7 days time. Despite worries about getting the parts through the Indian border checks, the team still shipped the components from Maranello as they were not ready in time to be shipped from Korea, along with the rest of the team's equipment and the cars.

The new parts for India, as tested by Rigon on 18 October at Idiada, Spain include a different rear wing, changed brake ducts, new aerofoils under the nose cone, changed sidepod panels and different exhaust exits. All these updates have reportedly been verified at Toyota's windtunnel in Cologne.
    I Will End My Career At Ferrari...

Doh! who let the cat out of the bag then
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by mirafiori View Post
    Is this the same giodap who once said Ferrari should sack SD and employ Ron Dennis instead.
    says the guy who wanted to bring hamilton to the team instead of alonso... you said " if only ferrari could do a straight swap, we would have the best driver in f1"...... hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by giodap View Post
    says the guy who wanted to bring hamilton to the team instead of alonso... you said " if only ferrari could do a straight swap, we would have the best driver in f1"...... hahaha
    Yes i did say we should bring Hamilton to Ferrari as a crash dummy you dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    The new parts for India, as tested by Rigon on 18 October at Idiada, Spain include a different rear wing, changed brake ducts, new aerofoils under the nose cone, changed sidepod panels and different exhaust exits. All these updates have reportedly been verified at Toyota's windtunnel in Cologne.
    Cool!
    I'm really glad and excited to read all that. But on the other hand, perhaps Ferrari should keep all the information on the updates for India as a secret. It would be much better and safer if Ferrari wouldn't let absolutely any info leak out. I'm sure that the guys at RB read those articles as well and that's not good at all. Ferrari definitely should just keep it zipped and let the guys at RB worry and wonder about our new updates.

The element of surprise is the best form of attack.
    Last edited by Tifoso84; 21st October 2012 at 14:47.

Let's have a funny one now:----

Q: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?

Kimi Raikkonen: "It protects my head"

Quote Originally Posted by anuragiyer8989 View Post
    Let's have a funny one now:----

Q: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?

Kimi Raikkonen: "It protects my head"

Whats so funny about that, and what does it have to do with the Ferrari development?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    Whats so funny about that, and what does it have to do with the Ferrari development?
    It might also be his "Go Faster" helmet ???

Nothing is sacred from the developers if the wind tunnel says this shape is quicker they wear it
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Actually i couldn't find a thread for that...
    there's nothing wrong about bringing a smile to a few ppl's faces right?!...
    I'm sorry that you don't have a sense of humor....
    It actually doesn't have anything to do with F2012's development........you're right...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    It might also be his "Go Faster" helmet ???

Nothing is sacred from the developers if the wind tunnel says this shape is quicker they wear it

Quote Originally Posted by anuragiyer8989 View Post
    Actually i couldn't find a thread for that...
    there's nothing wrong about bringing a smile to a few ppl's faces right?!...
    I'm sorry that you don't have a sense of humor....
    It actually doesn't have anything to do with F2012's development........you're right...
    You probably couldn't find a thead for that because this is not a Kimibot- forum. But you are wrong concerning my sense of humor- this i definitely find funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-VW2oAkjcJ4

Anyway, back to topic, we had some really good postings here, and its a good thread, lets not derail that

You probably couldn't find a thead for that because this is not a Kimibot- forum. But you are wrong concerning my sense of humor- this i definitely find funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-VW2oAkjcJ4

Anyway, back to topic, we had some really good postings here, and its a good thread, lets not derail that
    Well you urself asked what was funny n u say u do find it funny.....confusing....anyway i very well know it's not a Kimi-bot forum......
    also, i didn't want to derail it in the first place....just wanted to make ppl laugh amidst all the worry abt our updates n our testing progress.....sorry for that....

I actually don't mind something funny,amidst all the tension about updates,no harm done once in a while,its actually healthy;) keep it up..

Hermann, If you don't find something funny:
    Right reaction -----> Don't laugh -----> Thread goes on fine.
    Wrong reaction -----> Make an inconsequential post accusing OP of posting something inconsequential -----> Pointless back and forth -----> Thread derailment.
    Lighten up dude.

Don't know how reliable this is, but apparently Ferrari have done a second straight line test in Idiada just a few hours ago according to @raqueltdi who lives less than a km away from the track, shes posted a video, can't see the car but you can hear it doing runs. Seems they are really pushing it this time. I think they've also run outta straight line tests now.

Video:
    Last edited by zeus2; 21st October 2012 at 18:42.

Quote Originally Posted by zorro666 View Post
    Forget about it boys...
    It's not gonna happen!

RB cracked it and Vettel will win this.
    I am gutted about it all but what can you do?

We had a rubbish car from the start and Nando's superior driving has not been enough.
    I personally feel that all the pressure is on him and its not fair.
    We all think to a certain extent that he will manage to deliver no matter what car he drives. True? Yes!
    The best car Ferrari gave him was in 2010 and we still managed to lose.

With regards to this year, lets face it..... A lot has to do with luck as well!
    Forza Ferrari
    Oh dear Oh dear guess you'll be shouting for vettel then? GOODBYE!
    Last edited by grinchy; 21st October 2012 at 18:40. Reason: Wrong text

Quote Originally Posted by zeus2 View Post
    Don't know how reliable this is, but apparently Ferrari have done a second straight line test just a few hours ago according to @raqueltdi who lives less than a km away from the track, shes posted a video, can't see the car but you can hear it doing runs. Seems they are really pushing it this time. I think they've also run outta straight line tests now.

Video:
    What track?
    Vairano or Idiada

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    It's closer to Alonso's 6 tenths, I'd say. Too big a gap for a couple of months and a 40 points lead wasted away.
    40 - the 36 Alonso probably would have got if he hadn't have been taken out, which was not relevant to car performance.

Vettel has been even luckier than Alonso this year. This fact is one that has been kept quiet by some Vettel fanboys and some Kimi fans who have moved onto Vettel as well.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    What track?
    Vairano or Idiada
    Idiada

Idiada
    Really? might mean the DDRS that has reportedly not worked may have been modified after that test and may be being tested there.

Idiada in Spain.
    The test took place Thursday, October 18 but Ferrari has kept hidden. Rigon has tested various solutions wings, underbody and took brakes that will serve to make the car competitive at the Buddh Circuit. Some of the changes will be prepared at the last minute and sent so as to arrive in time to go through customs in India

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Really? might mean the DDRS that has reportedly not worked may have been modified after that test and may be being tested there.
    Seems that everything worked out fine except the DDRS but they will modify it and test it in India.

We're talking about a second test that took place just a few hours ago, not the one they did on the 18th.

Yes they did two times testing in the same track which is called Idiada in Spain.Firts day big parts were tested and final day other parts such as DDRS,floor,brake...Possible gain can be 0.3-0.6s without DDRS.Now team will bring a less DDRS just add some straight speed.Super ddrs is not working because it's been created in Maranello not Cologne.

We're talking about a second test that took place just a few hours ago, not the one they did on the 18th.
    Did not know Ferrari was at Idiada today!Any News/Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I got some for you.My source says yesterday there was a light rain and team decided to run ddrs with rear wing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    well, Check @raqueltdi twitter account, she took the video just about an hour ago, so they were testing just an hour ago. @burak, I don't think we'll know what they tested just yet (if they did test), unless you're saying they already tested twice and this is the third test in idada?

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    I got some for you.My source says yesterday there was a light rain and team decided to run ddrs with rear wing today.
    Thanks,
    We should be able to give Team Red Bull a challenge at least.India customs still a worry??

Metin Mete ‏@metinmete

Ferrari had the 3rd straightline test today in Idiada which was only dedicated to development of DDRS system. #f1

, I suppose it was a third test if true.

Sorry if this has been posted before, from yesterday..

Metin Mete ‏@metinmete
    Acc.to leakage, after two Ferrari straightline tests, front wing, rear wing, new floor, brake ducts and exhaust all worked well.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE