Page 11 of 161 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425366186111 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    It was great to see Vettel's wing fluttering today. It shows that we are on the right track and the important thing for us is that one wing was fluttering and the other wasn't. We can do more analysis and find out why this is the case.

Anyway, some more positive stuff posted on twitter:
    Wow, that sounds fantastic! Specially knowing that Alonso always says it like it is.

The future is RED

how come the end of season tests are coming before the season ends??

anyways,

Pat Fry
    Now we have three days of very important testing, the only ones we have between now and February: it presents a great opportunity to try out new ideas, to resolve some problems we still have and above all, to give a talented youngster like Jules Bianchi some more experience.”
    http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formu...ollection.aspx

lets see what they take with them to the test. i expect an improved front wing for Felipe. and for the bolded, could we see the first effects of this new 'innovative' structure? hope to see something nice.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Because they have them in Abu Dhabi and its easier to just do it while the teams are there.

I don't know how they can make a special Felipe wing
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Because they have them in Abu Dhabi and its easier to just do it while the teams are there.

I don't know how they can make a special Felipe wing
    i meant fix it. there have been no problems for Fernando, but as we know Felips hasnt been working properly. so they have three days to try and work it out.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Abu Dhabi Front Wings.

also, the nose looks a little different to me.

maybe experimenting Mercs f-duct?
    New F-duct ay, might explain the spinning we saw in practice could be perfecting the air flow maybe? About the wings maybe we are indeed testing different versions of the wing one extreme and one not so much to get the right balance of flexing who knows?
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

hole in the nose probably just for cooling, pretty sure it's always there
    Forza Ferrari

Yeah suppose your right there

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    hole in the nose probably just for cooling, pretty sure it's always there
    not that size hole.... that hole certainly looks bigger unless its a close up or different track and needed better cooling but that would only be in a hot track. thats my 2 cents lol

Pretty big and obvious difference really

I wish we had more angles of it

I don't remember them using that nose .... I only remember seeing the one like India on track. Wonder if it's something to do with the camera angle? or possibly they brought it and decided not to use it??

Australia

Korea

India

Abu Dhabi

It's been there every track, maybe it gets bigger or not depending on the track, most likely its probably just the angle of the picture, or maybe it has to do with the flutter....

Another from Aus with kind of similar angle, shows how it looks bigger

Forza Ferrari

Meanwhile on Twitter....

"It seems that Tombazis refined designs with the renewed Gateway CPD GW2000H Ferrari has 'found' 1.5 points more in 2012" (To be clear, what would be achieved by 0.15 sec NOT 1.5 sec.)
    "Possible losses from the EBD (Rumors): RedBull (0.9-1s), McLaren (1.3.-1.5s), Ferrari (0.4-0.6s)"
    "Ferrari front wing estimated to reach about 16mm positioned ground which has led to an improvement in almost 0.3s encrypted"
    "RedBull in turn becomes constant position to 7mm, which says a lot about how little had changed this concept Ferrari"

Ferrari still puzzled by Felipe Massa's flapping wing

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has admitted that his team is still seeking a solution for the flapping wing phenomenon that Felipe Massa has encountered in the last two races.

The Maranello-based outfit has been experimenting with the kind of legal flexing front wing technology that Red Bull Racing has used to good effect over the past few years.

However, although Fernando Alonso's version has worked well, Massa has had a more troubled time - with the wing seen to be fluttering heavily at the end of the long straights in both India and Abu Dhabi.

The problem in India forced him to change the wing during the race, while in Abu Dhabi he had to revert to an older specification because the team did not want to risk any further problems.

Domenicali says Ferrari still does not have an answer for what is happening - but believes the fact Red Bull Racing encountered a similar problem in Abu Dhabi shows that the issue is not unique to his team.

"First of all it was pretty clear that [in India] it was a problem with the assembly of the wing," he said. "We thought we had understood the issues already in the last race, and if you see the behaviour of the wing of Red Bull, it was exactly the same situation.

"With the DRS zone on the long straight, there are a lot of facts to consider: tyre pressure, linearity of asphalt, and set-up conditions. So a lot of things that have an effect on that.

"The reason we had to go back on the wing was, because of this problem, we had [only] a few parts and we cannot run a risk of having a problem. So I think we took the right decision on that, and we need to fix it for sure."
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96213

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Ferrari still puzzled by Felipe Massa's flapping wing

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96213
    Makes me think Felipe's drive was better than the result he got. I think it's safe to assume that Nando used the new spec front wing in the race because it's better, so, Felipe having to go back to a previous spec wing meant he didn't have the best possible. Pretty good really.

Would love them to get this sorted for him at Brazil and see him return to form with a win there, setting him and the team up for 2012 - 2 Ferrari's on the podium for the last race - yeah baby!

I don't think the new wing is necessarily better since they are design to work with the new car, not this year's car.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    I don't think the new wing is necessarily better since they are design to work with the new car, not this year's car.
    Except that the F150 is now being treated as a testbed, not a race car.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post
    Except that the F150 is now being treated as a testbed, not a race car.
    True, but it is still a F150 regardless of its purpose. If next year's car have any aero changes at all, the front wing would be design to work with that new aero package and not the F150. If anything, it would be a hindrance to take the front wing and put it on a different car. The front wing is the beginning point of the airflow to the rest of the car so if it isn't design to work with the rest of the car's aero, it is less then ideal.

Another text from yesterday (http://www.gpupdate.net/es/noticias-...-cara-al-2012/)

"Ferrari has taken more risks in their attempt to overtake the Red Bull Formula 1 2012 season. As explained by the former McLaren employee Pat Fry, who joined the Scuderia with the aim of revitalizing the team from Maranello.
    After Fernando Alonso lost very little room for the crown in 2010, Ferrari has one victory this year and finished in third place in the Constructors' Championship for the second consecutive season. The Scuderia is currently concentrated on the chassis of 2012.
    "I think we are slowly getting things into place." According to The Telegraph said, the technical director Pat Fry. "What I've been given is to observe and identify what needs to be improved. (Ferrari wanted) to have someone to review the various organizational areas without having to reconcile it with a daily task, as such, but then I started to monitor the race team and currently plays the role of Technical Director. We are currently working exactly as we will next year. "
    Asked whether remodeling will be needed in the team, Fry responded:

"We need to make some small changes to make things go as I like, although I do not need for any drastic remodeling. The question is: Are you doing enough? But, at this time of year how do we know? Now we are doing everything we can. "

The next year technical standards ensures that the design process of the cars will be more an evolution than a revolution, which on paper and taking into account what has been happening this season point to a Red Bull-McLaren battle.

"I think we have a little more risky and have made major changes in what we were doing until now," concluded Fry.

Great photos, where did you get them from?

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

I think we need a Abu Dhabi's Young Driver Test thread. There will surely be many interesting things to share about what all the teams are doing.

This article mentioned that Williams are already testing the 2012 exhaust layout!
    http://blogs.bettor.com/Williams-tes...1-news-a111470
    The FW33 has been upgraded for the 2012 season from Williams and Valtteri Bottas is the first driver to test out the top-exiting exhaust layout visible, which makes Williams the first team to test exhausts in accordance to the latest regulation changes for the 2012 season.
    Unfortunately I can't find any pictures yet

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    This article mentioned that Williams are already testing the 2012 exhaust layout!
    http://blogs.bettor.com/Williams-tes...1-news-a111470

Unfortunately I can't find any pictures yet
    http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/dcd1115no116.jpg
    http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/dcd1115no117.jpg
    http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2011/dcd1115no324.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NanoTheQuickest View Post
    Great photos, where did you get them from?
    I think that somebody tweeted those pictures to joseluisf1 or joseluisf1 retweeted those pictures from somebody can't remember

Jules needs to change his helmet design. Looks too much like Kimi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Jules needs to change his helmet design. Looks too much like Kimi.
    imagine if rumors are true and both of them end up in williams next season....
    not gonna change my profile picture

lets not discuss kimi in here
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    imagine if rumors are true and both of them end up in williams next season....
    Jules to Williams? Where on earth did you get that from?

The future is RED