Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

all credit has to go to the Ferrari thread in Autosport, where i saw this.

looks like a new development.

Now, Look at the back of both cars.

is that the normal hole used for Monaco, Singapore, or something new?

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Thanks Scudfan, big difference there, definitely looks like they are really focused on how/where to blow next years exhaust.

The engine cover has bigger hole at the back for better engine cooling in hotter conditions, without upsetting the aero map of the car. Did run it in Abu Dullbi but temos werent hot enough. Ran it in Monaco.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

the reshapped turning vane at edge of side pods will just help direct the air around the pods (keeping it attached to the surface) and along the bottom to the diffuser.

Yes, agreed. I am hoping Ferrari are working hard on the 2012' race car! They need Downforce and Speed! Downforce = Drag, so yes, it's a bit of an oxymoron! If they can better use airflow and direct maximum air flow at specific points on the race car, they can have both.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Different rear and front wings as well.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

interesting! :) ( i am on about the extra rear wing now

sure I seen McLaren run something like that in FP3
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    sure I seen McLaren run something like that in FP3
    McLaren had that on Jenson's car for the race as well, not sure about Lewis though.

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    McLaren had that on Jenson's car for the race as well, not sure about Lewis though.
    think RBR had 1 in Vettels gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    think RBR had 1 in Vettels gearbox

The future is RED

Lauda tips McLaren to challenge Red Bull in 2012

Niki Lauda has tipped McLaren to mount a serious challenge to Red Bull’s dominance in 2012.

His prediction immediately followed a Red Bull one-two in Brazil, with Mark Webber winning and Sebastian Vettel – despite a nearly race-long gearbox problem – nonetheless able to beat McLaren’s Jenson Button to second place.

“I think we can be satisfied,” said the team’s Dr Helmut Marko, “because we have already been using some of the parts that we will use in 2012.”

Triple world champion Lauda, however, warned Red Bull to expect a closer fight from McLaren in 2012.

“McLaren started this season really badly, but afterwards was the only team that could catch Red Bull,” he told German broadcaster RTL.

“Next year they will be Red Bull’s biggest opponent, if they start with a good car from the beginning.

“If they start at the same level, then it becomes a developing struggle between them and that’s where McLaren has the lead, technically,” added Lauda.

Despite Webber’s win in Brazil, it is Button who completed the season as championship runner-up to Vettel.

“He beat Lewis this year and was very consistent,” said Lauda, “while Lewis was up and down with his personal problems.

“Jenson drives with a smooth line while Lewis is like a maniac,” added the great Austrian, “so I think it is Jenson who will be significantly involved in the behaviour of the new car.”
    http://www.f1zone.net/news/lauda-tip...in-2012/10577/

We shouldn't be concerned about McLaren should we?
    I read somewhere else that they were only carrying 6% of the current car to next year

so lauda thinks despite the loss of EBD ferrari will still be behind mclaren and red bull come melbourne??? he must of watched every race this year except silverstone... Alonso only needs a car to match the pace of the front runners. He will do the rest.

Well if the 6% are the good parts of the 150th Italia then I'm all for it :) Ditch the 94% bad stuff and improve it.

Master Yoda erm Rory is with us now and he's back to kick some Newey ass!
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Well if the 6% are the good parts of the 150th Italia then I'm all for it :) Ditch the 94% bad stuff and improve it.
    It's 6% of the McLaren. This is the quote I was referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale
    We do a new car every year despite the fact there's a constantly changing set of regulations. The carry over that we expect from the car that won on Sunday to the first test car on February 1 will be around six per cent, or something like that.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96295

We shall see who is gonna have the best packet for next year.I belive in my team but Lauda's predictions sometimes mean nothing for me because i remember some comments like this and never has happend.

i'm not even going to be worried one bit, or even lose sleep over it; with Rory Byrne, Nicholas Tombazis as well as Pat Fry on board with us, we'll see monster Ferrari winner come Melbourne, one that's gonna kick some Red Fools and McCheater's **s ALL season long
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

LOL, Lauda raced for both Ferrari and McLaren in his career! I think he tossed a coin over the two! All I know is Ferrari WILL be close if not the team to beat. It will not be 2009, 2010 or 2011! Here's to hoping!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Flavio: Its impossible for Ferrari go gain 5-6 tenths over such short time
    Lauda: Mclaren will be the biggest challenger to RB
    Rory: I have no doubt we will be competetive next year

Your take which one to believe. I prefer the last one since he is the only one involved with next year's car

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post

Your take which one to believe. I prefer the last one since he is the only one involved with next year's car
    yeah, Flavio would know how to gain 5-6 tenths, he never found them over a year even (*cough 2009 cough*)
    not gonna change my profile picture

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post

Flavin obviously hasn't been watching this year. Ferrari have made about a second this year, even more until they stopped development. And McLaren's development is always hyped but they only really overtook us in that area when we stopped developing.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    Niki Lauda:
    “Jenson drives with a smooth line while Lewis is like a maniac”

What is Lauda saying? Great racer..not so good in the talking department...Hey Niki, did u happen to watch the British GP this year?
    Sometimes I think he will carry a grudge against Ferrari his whole life. Get in line Niki.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    http://www.f1zone.net/news/lauda-tip...in-2012/10577/

We shouldn't be concerned about McLaren should we?
    I read somewhere else that they were only carrying 6% of the current car to next year
    Don't McLaren switch designers every year? Red Bull (Newey and co.) have built a strong foundation first, and then evolve their car year to year. It's most likely the best approach seeing as how testing is very limited, and it's the approach that Ferrari has tried to follow, only that we couldn't get the "strong foundation" part right. McLaren choose to go for a complete redesign every time, which has its own benefits and downsides. I think McLaren should always be a concern, maybe even more so than Red Bull.

ScarbsF1 is reporting the FIA front wing deflection test for 2012 will change from the current 20mm allowed deflection to 10mm under the same 100Kg load applied at the endplate.

Quote Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post
    ScarbsF1 is reporting the FIA front wing deflection test for 2012 will change from the current 20mm allowed deflection to 10mm under the same 100Kg load applied at the endplate.
    i head it was 20mm, but 200kg? i guess Scarbs would know more.

edit: some new Tweets by Truzone

Tests conducted by Ferrari during the Grand Prix Brazil free have been satisfactory, especially on the floor of the car.
    It has experimented with a new material (apparently the F150 was Zircotech) covering the entire area where it will installed the engine.
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 30th November 2011 at 18:15.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    i head it was 20mm, but 200kg? i guess Scarbs would know more.
    The net result of 20mm@200kg or 10mm@100kg would be the same, basically 1/2 the allowed deflection (twice the required stiffness) for the same load in 2012 vs. 2011.

I think it's too early to know where we stand so we just need to stay cautiously optimistic and not put too much value on what we read in the news each day.

Surely every team will develop their cars and that includes Red Bull, even though they dominated 2011 for most of the season. For all we know, they already have a solution for this and they are just misleading us when they say they would lose out big time without EBD. Also, the ban on EBD does not automatically make us stronger than them, using the result at Silverstone 2011 as proof. Yes we won at Silverstone, but it's not just because Red Bull and Mclaren were hampered by the lack of EBD, rather, we won primarily because we started on the intermediate tyres, and thus we no longer need to use the harder compound tyre in the race. Really, our pace on the harder compounds sucked big time and surely Ferrari knows its one of the more pressing issues they need to understand and overcome next year if they want to get back on their winning ways.

So there you have it, from now til March 2012, we will be bombarded with a lot of speculations and comments that will either be for or against Ferrari. Speculations and comments that are only good for discussions to help us pass the time until the start of the 2012 season.

Quote Originally Posted by da_one View Post
    I think it's too early to know where we stand so we just need to stay cautiously optimistic and not put too much value on what we read in the news each day.

Surely every team will develop their cars and that includes Red Bull, even though they dominated 2011 for most of the season. For all we know, they already have a solution for this and they are just misleading us when they say they would lose out big time without EBD. Also, the ban on EBD does not automatically make us stronger than them, using the result at Silverstone 2011 as proof. Yes we won at Silverstone, but it's not just because Red Bull and Mclaren were hampered by the lack of EBD, rather, we won primarily because we started on the intermediate tyres, and thus we no longer need to use the harder compound tyre in the race. Really, our pace on the harder compounds sucked big time and surely Ferrari knows its one of the more pressing issues they need to understand and overcome next year if they want to get back on their winning ways.

So there you have it, from now til March 2012, we will be bombarded with a lot of speculations and comments that will either be for or against Ferrari. Speculations and comments that are only good for discussions to help us pass the time until the start of the 2012 season.
    Exactly my thoughts! And winter test will show nothing since in previous years it showed to us that F2009 and F150 are good cars, but when season started it was opposite. They sucked big time! So, as you said wait for March 2012 and first race!

joseluisf1 says:
    • Some external suppliers of Ferrari are unable to follow the pace set by Fry in Maranello with new methods of development
    • Pat Fry will visit these providers, with some urgency, to help them improve their working methods obsolete as soon as possible

Truzonef1 says:
    • Adrian Newey: "The key for whole year has been about keeping the engine producing exhaust gas all time around the lap" (Vía @f1talks)
    • According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Ferrari could unlock the next few weeks from an engineer at the Department of Aerodynamics of RedBull.
    • Some rumors say that the engineer could be Peter Prodromou, Head of Aerodynamics Department of RedBull.

I love reading these tweets. Prodromou would be a fine addition to our team and I'm sure he'd bring a lot of RB8 knowledge with him.