Page 1 of 161 123456789101112131415265176101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

i thought since 2012/experimental parts are being tested for next year, and that both titles are officially over, we can look to 2012.
    also, we can have a place to talk about the car, and get quick news on the latest developments.
    so if anyone sees a new part or something, they can post it here.
    anyways, again the new experimental front wing.

and some analysis.

With the focus now completely on 2012, Ferrari were earlier this week reported of working against the clock to get a new front wing ready for the Korean GP. And somewhat unsurprisingly, they got it done in time.

Ferrari's new front wing is a completely different beast to the previous versions fitted on the F150° Italia. The main plane of the wing is now entirely flat until very close to the endplate. The main plane is now also slotted, and together with a single flap on top of it replaced the 3-element front wing that was used in Singapore and on most Friday runs at Korea.

Perhaps the most interesting bit is how Ferrari have moved the endplates further outboard, increasing the wing's width inside the endplates. This creates a much simpler endplate that is now a single element, while it also increases the width of the stacked flap.
    http://www.f1technical.net/development/347

http://www.formula1.com/news/technic...1/851/907.html

Pat Fry has said that the early indications are positive, so encouraging news there. maybe Alonsos pace in clean air in the race had some part to do with this?

and, some major flexi fun here in this vid.

Rory Byrne looks like he is back, and Nikolas Tombazis is apparently back to the aero side of things, with Pat Fry maybe drawing on his experience with being a partial McLaren designer.
    Pull-Rod suspension also seems to have been put in for the car.
    indications are, that we may be seeing more new parts being tested for next year in the coming races.

also, found an interesting article here, with Alonso.

Alonso annoyed after media’s interest in new wing

Oct.17 (GMM/Inautonews.com) The interest in Ferrari’s 2012 front wing in Korea left Fernando Alonso annoyed.

“I think it’s to do with the team, not the journalists,” La Gazzetta dello Sport quotes the Spaniard as saying in Korea, where his 150 Italia was fitted with the radical new wing.

Media reports analysed in detail the difference between the new and old wing and its performance in Korea relative to the regular specification driven by Alonso’s teammate Felipe Massa.

“As I’ve said before, in these last four races we need to learn a lot about 2012,” Alonso said. “Gaining or losing a tenth is a very low priority at the end of this season compared to finding the direction for next year’s car.

“We are working with a specific goal that is not easy for you (reporters) to understand,” he added.

“I do not think the readers are interested to get up in the morning and read about three or four points of downforce, certain diameters — I think they want to know who is fourth or fifth or whether you are working for the grand prix or the next year.

“The details seem very superficial to me.”

On the radio towards the end of Sunday’s Korean grand prix, Alonso was heard to tell his team “I give up” — a call rarely heard from the double world champion.

Alonso insists his focus is on what will make the 2012 season better.

“I will come to work (in 2011) to gain experience for the things for next year,” he is quoted by AS sports newspaper. “We can try some experimental parts and also (experiment with) how to deal with the weekends.”

The 30-year-old is currently third in the drivers’ championship.

“If we can get one tenth (for the 2012 car) from the information and yet finish fifth in the championship, I would sign it now,” insisted Alonso.

“No one expects us to come to India and have the pole and the win. Expect us to be fourth or fifth in qualifying and third, fourth or fifth in the race,” he said.
    http://www.inautonews.com/alonso-ann...st-in-new-wing

seems pretty secretive. i wonder why?

so any more news, hopefully will be out soon.

if there is a similar thread, mods, feel free to close.

lastly,
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 17th October 2011 at 13:24. Reason: spelling

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Wow scuderiafan thanks for sharing all these stuff!
    I can understand Fernando's frustration for the new wing and the reporters wanting some photos of that wing.I think he is right.
    Now into some other stuff,Pat Fry working as a chief designer is something new for the team as Aldo left and 150 Italia wasn't Fry's work it was Costa's work.I really believe that we will see a completely new and better car in 2012.For some reason i see bright feature in his eyes and for the team.Rory will help us a lot..The legend is back and ready to face our rivals with Tombazis help in the aero area.Finally the Pull-Rod suspension that Aldo Costa refused to put in the car as he mentioned it was a big risk.Without risks we can't go anywhere!
    I'm really hoping for a new Dream Team right now as the 2011 is coming to an end.
    Bring on the 2012 and great wins Forza Ferrari!

All of this stuff is strange we have no direction we are fishing in the dark

Here we go again. I love these threads!

Here's to an absolute beast of a car in the F2012.

The future is RED

First of all,i would like to thank Scuderiafan for starting this thread about 2012 Ferrari Single Seater Poreject 663.New car project number is interesting "663" when it completed to 666 maybe devil can help us or a demon show oneself i couldnt see pull ros suspension if we were able to use it.What i see is developing works are going very well,datas are benefit.I expect more flexi device like floor which we saw after Monza crash.Keep going on working guys and create a monster for next year.Forza Ferrari

I'm sure the strategy during the test of that wing in Korea was to not show and say much in terms of our new development.

It is pretty obvious, if you tell and show the rest of the world that your new front wing is either great or bad, you would do the job for the rest of the competition.

F1 is a very secretive world were everything said and done is measured and calculated!

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

It could be indeed that this is just one sandboxed version of our 2012 FW and we use it like dummy but test just bits and pieces or just material of real new 2012 wing...

Quote Originally Posted by burak karakutuk View Post
    First of all,i would like to thank Scuderiafan for starting this thread about 2012 Ferrari Single Seater Poreject 663.New car project number is interesting "663" when it completed to 666 maybe devil can help us or a demon show oneself i couldnt see pull ros suspension if we were able to use it.What i see is developing works are going very well,datas are benefit.I expect more flexi device like floor which we saw after Monza crash.Keep going on working guys and create a monster for next year.Forza Ferrari
    no worries mate

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    It could be indeed that this is just one sandboxed version of our 2012 FW and we use it like dummy but test just bits and pieces or just material of real new 2012 wing...
    that is exactly what I think it will be. like when all the teams made big mods to their 2008 cars for the end of season tests. the cars looked really wierd, an different for the big aero changes in 2009.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

The 2012 wing looks even less sophisticated than the current one which is less sophisticated than RB's.

Quote Originally Posted by impactX View Post
    The 2012 wing looks even less sophisticated than the current one which is less sophisticated than RB's.
    Not necessarily. F1.com mentioned that the end-plates are similar to that of the Red Bull. As for that main plane, we ran a single element main plane to the front wing once or twice this year.

Stefano telling us what mucked up development for the F150, and answers some worries as to why the car had a downgrade. (sorry, about 38 mins into the programme)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ix_Qualifying/

Now, some more interesting stuff. i dont know who this guy is, but have seen him used as a source often, so i think he is reliable.

@joseluisf1 tweets.

Byrne and Fry along with Tombazis apparently have carte blanche to risk what you want it, objective: be competitive from race 1
    Domenicali would be willing to personally assume responsibility for a car too risky if it goes wrong
    Most interesting one:
    In Maranello could have found very risky but innovative solutions them could in theory to the level of RB... If they work
    And he confirms that Rory Byrne has a much more involved role for 2012.
    It seems that it has been quite involved in 2012 car
    http://twitter.com/#!/joseluisf1

EDIT: more on the front wing.

Why the 2012 season has already started

With the championship settled, teams are using the final races of the season as a test session looking at “carry over” items, which could be used in 2012. Ferrari’s Nicolas Tombaszis said last week that they would be trying out some new parts, including a new front wing.

And so it proved in Korea. Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa carried out back to back tests over the weekend, with Alonso taking the wing for the qualifying and race. It featured several Red Bull-esque touches, such as the endplates, the main plane slot and the large top flap, and was considered to be a possible direction for 2012.

It was hard to judge from qualifying, where Alonso made a mistake in his final run, but it appeared that there was nothing much to choose between the performance of the two Ferraris in Q2 or Q3.

The new wing in Korea

The word from Italian colleagues is that the new wing wasn’t intended to transform the performance of the 2011 car, but to understand how the front end of the rival RB7 works and influences the aerodynamic balance of the car. The set up of the RB7 is notably deeply raked and this worked perfectly in terms of aero balance and feeding the rear diffuser with a high pressure air flow.

The old wing Ferrari used in Suzuka

The configuration of the Ferrari in Korea was not able to give the car a gain in terms of speed on the straight and on the fast corners, however it is believed to have improved rapid direction changes.

In India in two weeks time we are likely to see many of the leading teams pushing forward with 2012 development parts, using the final three races as an extended test session so that they can all come out of the box primed and competitive in February next year.

“The focus has to start moving towards next year,” said Red Bull boss Christian Horner. “We have less than four months to design and build a completely new car, which is why Adrian (Newey) elected not to attend this race. He is busy back in the UK focused on RB8.

“The remaining races are the only track time other than a young driver test between now and when the new car is born, so we will look to learn everything we can out of the track with the time we have available and that means pushing right up until the chequered flag in Brazil.”
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/1...ready-started/
    Last edited by scuderiafan; 17th October 2011 at 16:48.

WOW this is gonna be a great thread! Thanks for all the info. And to comment on the video, you are right. That wing flexes ALOT!

Scuderiafan can you please give us a recap on what dom said bacause the video doesn't work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Scuderiafan can you please give us a recap on what dom said bacause the video doesn't work!!!
    Jake asked him 'why has your car gone down in performance since the summer? a bit worrying that your upgrades havent worked'

Stefano replied 'luckily for us, the area where we have had trouble getting the parts to work will not be here next year' meaning exhausts probably.

Fantastic thread

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Jake asked him 'why has your car gone down in performance since the summer? a bit worrying that your upgrades havent worked'

Stefano replied 'luckily for us, the area where we have had trouble getting the parts to work will not be here next year' meaning exhausts probably.
    That's good to hear, since they have promissed a total new design, and not simply an addition or a face lift to this year's car.

the F60 car was pretty bad aerodynamicly, and i remember pretty early on (during tests) taking out the DD mess, they were thinking the redbull design was going to be very good, then that triggered the idea of naturally making the f10 look more redbullish, which worked, cause fernando almost got the championship (at least it was way better than the f60) i was thinking they would have continued in that direction, but instead for this f150 the car went back to a little more flat (like 2009) and not so roundy (like the f10) and to me that made little sense.

I'm glad stefano made changes on our designing team personnel, as well as their method of work for the next car, i am a little scared that building it from scratch as stefano said could lend us with another f60, but then i remember, it really can't be that bad, this season we were never even close to redbull (in 2010 we were) and also our main rival mclaren, we were simply outdone by them.

My hope is that for quite sometime, after the soon realisation that redbull was going to be impossible to catch this seeason, they have been focusing on next season's car.

Would be interesting to see if ferrari has a car that aproaches the efficiency of redbull, cause i think the driver would be the defining factor, and alonso has been in a league of his own.

T
    he art isn't in never falling but in always getting up.

Great thread. Can't wait to see the final car being revealed next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeistes View Post
    Would be interesting to see if ferrari has a car that aproaches the efficiency of redbull, cause i think the driver would be the defining factor, and alonso has been in a league of his own.
    To be fair to Vettel, most of the people believe that it was the car that won him the Championships (Including myself), but I really hope we are in competition from race 1 next year cause it would then be pure driver battle & we'll see what real definition of "World Driver's Champion" is...

The front wing we see in Korea is a basis for next years. As the EBD is banned and exhausyts having to exit top of the car, cannt imagine seeing a high rake angle at the rear

Good thread, cannt wait for more info and teasers on the new car
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

An Article Mark Hughes did on the BBC.

most of it is more 'crisis talk', but i found these quotes interesting.

A lot is resting, then, on the 2012 Ferrari, and an all-new front wing used on Alonso's car in Korea gave some crucial clues about the lines the technical team in Maranello may be thinking along for next year's car.

Totally unrelated to the family of wings used on the car previously, it retains only the same nose-cone and central pillars; all the downforce-producing surfaces were completely new.

"This was a development experiment for our 2012 car," confirmed team boss Stefano Domenicali.

"After our trouble early in the year with correlation between our wind tunnel and the track, it was important for us to know that what we are seeing in our tunnel is now matched to the track as we prepare for next year. The early data looks good and aligned well."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/form...e/15338202.stm

So I guess one of the purpose of running the new wing during the race was to ensure that the wind tunnel is working properly this time.

That's a good decision I'd say. Verify the damn thing first before building an entire car only to realize the wind tunnel is a little cranky.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    So I guess one of the purpose of running the new wing during the race was to ensure that the wind tunnel is working properly this time.

That's a good decision I'd say. Verify the damn thing first before building an entire car only to realize the wind tunnel is a little cranky.

Thanks scuderiafan for putting so much time and effort into this thread!
    Mark Webber: "If you push to try and pass you kill the tyres but if you wait, then you find you're on the same strategy and finish behind them anyway".

I'm a little worried because just before summer break they said that they working flat out and they think that we made one step forward.And they say this thing after what they see in the tunnel!!!And then we all see what happend!!I hope i'm wrong but i still have some concerns about our trouble!!!!!!

Truzonef1 twitter
    En lo que Ferrari trabaja es en el "Efecto Venturi" una solución que Byrne introdujo en el B195...

2 hours ago
    Google translate doesnt seem to be working. just read this, but cant translate.

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Google translate doesnt seem to be working. just read this, but cant translate.
    Ferrari is working on "Venturi effect", a solution introduced by Byrne in the B195

Quote Originally Posted by number 13 View Post
    Ferrari is working on "Venturi effect", a solution introduced by Byrne in the B195

hope it isnt revealed too much

That sounds awesome!

The future is RED

a what? lol please explain :)

i know it's something to do with gas and pressure :s

That is very interesting..but why would they let something like that out?