Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

I know that feeling, the suspence is killing me!

In bocca al lupo!
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

It's just a tenth or two on race pace and enough for 2nd row in qualifying. That's all wee need!

David Sanchez, ex head of aerodynamics at McLaren works for Ferrari? the article says he's the one that's developing Ferrari's flexi-wings....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    David Sanchez, ex head of aerodynamics at McLaren works for Ferrari? the article says he's the one that's developing Ferrari's flexi-wings....
    Yes, he does, for a few months already, together with Loic Bigois and Ben Agathangelou they are reorganising Ferrari's aerodynamics department.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Sounds as if something positive may be about to show itself, but don't get too excited yet and please don't let's have all the doom and gloom once FP gets underway if there's no huge increase in performance.
    I totally agree, please NO doom and gloom tomorrow if for example Fernando and Felipe are on 6th and 7th place after FP sessions. Remember it's only free practice. It would be best if there were no doom and gloom at all, but that's probably too much to ask.

2ik9zdw.jpg

It looks like that FP pace, especially FP2 and FP3 have been very indicative of our raw quali pace this season. So I think when we are in 6th and 7th after FP then we can reasonably expect to qualify there. Thank goodness we have 2 great drivers that have been able to improve on their starting positions all year though!
    Forza Ferrari!!

for tifoso84

The photos say copyrighted right on them. Please avoid. Thanks. TSN mod
    Last edited by Tifoso; 15th November 2012 at 21:41.

Quote Originally Posted by NickEice View Post
    It looks like that FP pace, especially FP2 and FP3 have been very indicative of our raw quali pace this season. So I think when we are in 6th and 7th after FP then we can reasonably expect to qualify there. Thank goodness we have 2 great drivers that have been able to improve on their starting positions all year though!
    That may be so, but I still think that there's no need to start whining, complaining and demanding people to get sacked even if Fernando and Felipe do qualify on 6th and 7th place. But, to each his own, if whining and complaining makes someone feel better then let them whine... I guess.
    It's just too bad that the other positive members of this forum have to put up with it every race weekend.

FIA to restrict DRS use during F1 practice and qualifying next year

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104254

With our inefficient DRS its seem to be good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post

Not much help, as it can still be used in the designated areas, but not outside them.

The FIA is to restrict the use of DRS anywhere on the circuit except in the allocated zones during practice and qualifying on grand prix weekends next year.
    Emphasis mine.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by type056 View Post

Well that could help us somewhat, as there will be less time to use the DRS and thus gain advantage, but on the other hand, it probably won't help us much, because the Red Cow for example can still use it in those designated zones.
    So we better come up with a more efficient DRS for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Not much help, as it can still be used in the designated areas, but not outside them.

Emphasis mine.
    This makes perfectly good sense. The current system gives a quakifying advantage to teams who have the most effective DRS, even though they might not be able to use the same techniques in the race.

This is the rear wing Massa was using just now:

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post

Emphasis mine.
    I was under the impression that the allocated zone means just the zone for DRS in the race, which means just a part on a straight or at most 2 for each track. If that's the case, I believe that's significantly lesser, maybe 75% lesser than what they would do if allow freely everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by F1NAC View Post
    Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

same changes at the and of the Gurney flaps

new:

old

Just got this from Omni Corse about our new diffuser...

Fernando Alonso in the first session of free practice for the Grand Prix of the United States has carried out a series of comparisons on the aerodynamic Ferrari: Spanish tried different front and rear wings , fishing between the solutions seen in Abu Dhabi and India in search of the most suitable profiles to the cross-Auston full of ups and downs. attention, however, focused on the rear diffuser of the F2012 which presented a new modification: the flap that last Grand Prix was the setting for all the stripper, now is left alone at the top and is anchored to the walls with triangular supports very thin . This profilino has a trend that seems twisted, the result of hard work in the wind tunnel ...
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Pat Fry: “We got through almost all our planned programme, which is always a good way to start a race weekend. We had some aerodynamic components to try and the first signs seem positive, but we will have to evaluate the data carefully, before making choices for qualifying and the race. The track is technically all encompassing and demanding, both for the drivers and the cars. Obviously, with a brand new track, the grip level on this first day was very low and the low temperature certainly didn’t help in this respect. Tyre degradation seems pretty light, even if we have really little data to work with. One of the areas we will have to work on extensively seems to be that of how quickly we manage to get the tyres to the best operating temperature, which will be crucial, especially for qualifying.”
    Its like last year all over again lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    Pat Fry: “We got through almost all our planned programme, which is always a good way to start a race weekend. We had some aerodynamic components to try and the first signs seem positive, but we will have to evaluate the data carefully, before making choices for qualifying and the race. The track is technically all encompassing and demanding, both for the drivers and the cars. Obviously, with a brand new track, the grip level on this first day was very low and the low temperature certainly didn’t help in this respect. Tyre degradation seems pretty light, even if we have really little data to work with. One of the areas we will have to work on extensively seems to be that of how quickly we manage to get the tyres to the best operating temperature, which will be crucial, especially for qualifying.”
    Its like last year all over again lol
    As suspected, we still have issues with tire temperature.

We seriously need to solve it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    As suspected, we still have issues with tire temperature.

We seriously need to solve it next year.
    True that. We have had this problem for years now. I can't even remember when was the last time we didn't have this problem. 2008?

This is a fundemantal problem of the suspension layout and design. If we keep following the same geometry, we will have the same results. There is where Ferrari have the problem. Things like Chamber / Caster have the other aspect of gaining heat in the tires. That said, each year they design a new car, they have the opportunity take a different direction to introduce geometry to improve the situation. It is very interactive and dependent on the tire specification. If Ferrari want more heat, they have to make fundemental changes in design.

As far as Ferrari catching Red Bull, I don't see it happening. Red Bull have a fundementally different type of race car flex dynamics of their race car. Flexure in the chassis structure is not something other teams can just bolt onto the race car. The Red Bull car is the MOST EXTREME race car on the track and that is why they are winning. Only when the other teams try the same Extreme things like Red Bull will they have a chance to compete with them. Until that time, I doubt anyone will be able to beat them.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!

Bring back Aldo Costa!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    Bring back Aldo Costa!
    and while we r at it,bring back RORY BYRNE AND JOHN TODT as well !

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Berger View Post
    Bring back Aldo Costa!
    Yes, look at the amazing car his team have come up wi-OH WAIT.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAlfa View Post
    This is a fundemantal problem of the suspension layout and design. If we keep following the same geometry, we will have the same results. There is where Ferrari have the problem. Things like Chamber / Caster have the other aspect of gaining heat in the tires. That said, each year they design a new car, they have the opportunity take a different direction to introduce geometry to improve the situation. It is very interactive and dependent on the tire specification. If Ferrari want more heat, they have to make fundemental changes in design.

As far as Ferrari catching Red Bull, I don't see it happening. Red Bull have a fundementally different type of race car flex dynamics of their race car. Flexure in the chassis structure is not something other teams can just bolt onto the race car. The Red Bull car is the MOST EXTREME race car on the track and that is why they are winning. Only when the other teams try the same Extreme things like Red Bull will they have a chance to compete with them. Until that time, I doubt anyone will be able to beat them.

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!
    100% agree with you mate!!! if i could i would have put more than 100% :). I have been breaking my head, trying to think how is newey doing this!!! He was always a genius but before he didnt have the resources and budget to sort out the reliability of his cars but now he has it and it will take a very long time for anybody to catch him up... Here is what i think of reasons why he is so good at designing fast cars...
    Whilst others work from what they believe needs to be done to get a quick car and try to adjust according to regulation constraint, Newey does the opposite!!! he looks a the regulations and from there he designs the parts that would generate the most gain and try to make them fit in the regulations by finding new ways of beating the load test for example!!! and other FIA scrutineering. In that way his car will be within the rules and legal and he gets the best car until others try to get ways to either copy his design or try to get it banned. FIA can do so much about regulations/rules so they cant keep on changing rules mid way, Newey knows it and use this to his advantage. The car he has produced this year tio me is even more amazing to what he produced before as even within this tight regulation he can produce a car which is faster than anybody else sometimes by 1/2 a second per lap!!!
    Ferrari should do the same thing... Just work backward, try to make as fast a car as possible then find ways to beat the tests and scruteneering - fit in the regulations...
    Our car was agressive but with the wrong development direction... there were some fundamental flaws with the concept as it was built with acer duct and if that had worked then maybe we would have had a different car but it didnt, hence it limited ferrari to what they could do around the sidepods & exhausts similar to what is happening with merc w.r.t front wing. They cant do much with the FW as the whole car was built around the DDRS... so we cant faulter the team for trying but they shouldnt keep on with the tunnel; issue as it shows there lack of aero understanding!!! Please SF stop this tunnel issue, get on with the work and be more agressive in the design... get better engineers taht really understand aerodynamics and a better leader than can provide the team with the right direction!!!
    Last edited by dmkevin; 18th November 2012 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by dmkevin View Post
    Whilst others work from what they believe needs to be done to get a quick car and try to adjust according to regulation constraint, Newey does the opposite!!! he looks a the regulations and from there he designs the parts that would generate the most gain and try to make them fit in the regulations by finding new ways of beating the load test for example!!! and other FIA scrutineering. In that way his car will be within the rules and legal and he gets the best car until others try to get ways to either copy his design or try to get it banned. FIA can do so much about regulations/rules so they cant keep on changing rules mid way, Newey knows it and use this to his advantage.
    This approach seems quite logical. Design the best car possible then tidy up the parts that run afoul of the regs and you should have a pretty good car. As for this notion of "beating the tests", of course the Bulls are designing things like their wing to beat the tests and so is everyone else. If the FIA want a wing to not flex under something like 350kg load and I build it to flex at 355kg load, I didn't cheat, I lived up to the letter of the regs. If some other designer makes a wing that doesn't flex until 600kg, is he more virtuous or just stupid? To imply that someone is cheating if he can get his car to perform as he wishes and still pass all of the tests is what cry babies do. Better to design a terrific car that pushes the limits and just passes the tests than complain. Newey understands this and seems prepared to live with the results of his innovation.

@ dmkevin & kiwi Nick,

Yes, I agree with both of you. If youdesign and build a very plain vanilla car to begin with you are ALWAYS playing "Catch-Up" and NEVER "Exploiting" the rules from the get-go! This is a fundemental change from the Ross Brawn years when Ferrari led the march and others follwoed. I think none of this is that difficult and it really is about just how much risk you're willing to take! My feeling is the those directing the Engineering staff are too "Timid" ! This above all else is impeeding development! They do lack the proper tools which they are aware of and know both Hardware and software need to be dated. The Lead Designer is a very weak point on this team and need to have this point person replaced who is active in the mindset Newey has! Formula One is no longer about a good "Conventional" Deisgn! It is about getting Extreme Design on paper and understand what rules allow and generate sound arguments in many areas of the race car to "Bend" the rules and get away with that exploitation of the rules. It is NOT ABOUT "Calm Cool Design" which follow the rules to the letter because that equals "A Book Shelf In The Wind"! So next year needs to be another step forward and they must think "Star Wars" when designing the car!

Ciao!

Foza Ferrari!!!!

You justify your dillusional assumptions all you like. Any team on the grid (bar Red Bull) would trade places with us in a heartbeat to still be in with a chance of the championship. Not bad for a bunch of timid no-hopers.

We are talking about WINNING the TITLES and not just racing for 2nd or 3rd or 4th place. Big Difference!

Ciao.

Forza Ferrari!!!!