Thread: AUTOSPORT Awards: Sebastian Vettel wins International Racing Driver

AUTOSPORT Awards: Sebastian Vettel wins International Racing Driver

Sebastian Vettel has been named International Racing Driver of the Year for the third straight year at the AUTOSPORT Awards in London.

Vettel became the youngest triple champion in Formula 1 history this season, but only after finally prevailing in an intensely close title fight with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, which culminated in a wild Brazilian Grand Prix finale.

Vettel collected his award from nine-time World Rally champion Sebastien Loeb.

Asked whether 2012 was his toughest season, Vettel said: "I think yes; it was a long, long year of ups and downs. Maybe in the beginning I didn't have the car I liked - maybe it was competitive in the race but in qualifying it was difficult for me to find that extra step.

"At the end of the season though we got more comfortable, it felt better. Obviously we had some tough luck early in the season but in the end we scored some big points and were in the lead.

"Waking up on Sunday morning in Brazil I didn't expect so many things would happen, I think the season was summed up in that race. I didn't go as planned...

"Obviously it was a horrible feeling to see cars coming one way and me going the wrong way. I got the hit from behind and got turned around, so I quickly tried to pull the clutch and roll down the hill to not break the car.

"It was very difficult to work out how much damage I had but I realised quickly I had survived. And then after that potentially everything that could have happened, happened.

"Time goes by quickly if you look back now. I remember my first Friday with BMW Sauber and now it is five years ago. For me it sounds like a big number but it doesn't feel like it.

"You do grow up, there are certain things you realise in the car, you get a bit more experience, a bit more relaxed.
    "I had a very good night Sunday after the [Interlagos] race, it was fun... but then I felt so bad the next morning I thought I had to go to the gym to get rid of [the feeling] and it all starts all over again."

The 25-year-old German supplemented victory in Bahrain with a string of four straight wins between Singapore and India, taking him to an unmatched total of five grand prix triumphs during the season. He also claimed six poles and 10 podiums.

Perhaps more remarkable than such statistics were his comeback drives. Demoted to the back of the grid for the Abu Dhabi GP he had qualified third but was unable to provide a big enough fuel sample - he charged back to salvage third at the flag.

That helped lend him a crucial buffer heading into the Interlagos denouement, but once again he did it the hard way as a poor getaway and early contact threatened to derail his title bid. Vettel dragged his battered car to sixth, sealing his third crown by just three points from Alonso.
    Alonso had best season in his carrier, apparently still not as good as Vettels.
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

obviously biased award.

dragged his battered car to sixth
    Was he driving on 3 wheels or what?

Pffffff
    Last edited by Hermann; 3rd December 2012 at 04:06.

How anyone could say Vettel was better than Alonso this year is beyond me.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Absurd.

Disappointed Since 2010

This is my driver of the year

Fernando was having fun in party with Ferrari fans, no time to grab silly awards.
    Last edited by Rob; 3rd December 2012 at 05:53.

Was that award for the last few races after Newey changed the design of the rear end?
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

How lame. Aside from Fernando being the obvious choice for what he was able to achieve with a car that didn't want to play, I'd even say Lewis was a better driver this year than Sebastian.

What a joke again. Only because he won the title, but it looks like they only look at who won and not he was driving the best with the given circumstances.

So a magazine votes Seb to win something which has no bearing on anything whatsoever. Who cares?
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by fratelliferrari View Post
    What a joke again. Only because he won the title, but it looks like they only look at who won and not he was driving the best with the given circumstances.
    Not when it comes to greatest of all time when they ignore who won the most and choose Senna.

Another useless award

Mai Dare Sulla Speranza, Forza Ferrari!!

Yes indeed useless! Which people where in the jury?!

Yes indeed useless! Which people where in the jury?!
    Autosport award? make an educated guess.

were there seperate category for "CHEATS" and the Fair Players!!!????

Sorry I have never looked on Autosport website. Is it a website full of RBR and Mclaren-fans? Is that the reason why Vettel won the award?

Sorry I have never looked on Autosport website. Is it a website full of RBR and Mclaren-fans? Is that the reason why Vettel won the award?
    You might want to spare yourself the effort. Its a website full of trolls spending 24/7 to bash Ferrari. It used to be an acceptable source a couple of years ago, but that is past.

It's a pity. I rather hoped that Fernando's achievements throughout 2012 would be recognised by other awards since the WDC, based solely on points, naturally passed to Vettel.
    Given an opportunity to do something a bit more original or reflecting 'sublime driving skills' (M. Brundle), Autosport distinguishes itself by going for the flaming obvious.

Sebastien Loeb?
    Hmm...i prefer Carlos Sainz: "Alonso is the best in the world, and even in the history of F1 he is one of the greatest.
    “It wouldn’t surprise me if he is recognised as the best ever once he decides to retire,” added Sainz.
    Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

Typical British bias towards RBR by Autosport, Fernando had better things to do in Valencia in the full knowledge that he was the true winner.

So much for subjectivity.

Disappointed Since 2010

Oh well so i guess i don't have to visit that website after what was told here on the forum. Thanks for the advice haha

A picture says more than a thousand words.

red bull.png

Dr Ferdinand Porsche:" Nuvolari is the greatest driver of the past, the present, and the future".
    Enzo Ferrari once drove with him and recalled even on bends "he never took his foot from the accelerator".

Haha how awful that suit of Newey looks

Autosport love McLaren and hate Ferrari. Therefore it's no surprise that:

Vettel beat Alonso to "International Racing Driver of the Year"
    Button beat Hamilton to "British Competition Driver of the Year"

It's best not paying any attention to these biased awards.