Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another US race for 2013 ?

Another US race for 2013 ?

From Autosport...

Formula 1 is set to have two grands prix in the United States from 2013, with plans for a race around the streets of New Jersey expected to be confirmed as early as next week.

Although F1 is returning to the US for the first time next year with an event in Austin, Texas, Bernie Ecclestone has made no secret of the fact that he would like another event in the country - with his preferred location being New York.

Ecclestone told AUTOSPORT last year: "It's happening. We are talking to them and trying to do our best. Let's see what happens."

High level sources have revealed that the plans have now reached fruition, and an announcement is expected to be made by New Jersey governor Chris Christie and other local politicians next week.

It is understood that the New Jersey GP will take place in June 2013, so it can be a back-to-back race with Canada, which will then leave the Austin event to keep its place at the tail end of the schedule to tie up with the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Last year, the Mayors of Weehawken and West New York revealed that they were in the preliminary stages of talks with a group of investors, led by former YES TV Network executive Leo Hindery Jr, to hold a grand prix in the area from as early as 2013.

It is not confirmed where the track will be, but it is likely to run along the banks of the Hudson River - using the waterfront and the iconic Manhattan skyline as a backdrop.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday that a press conference has been scheduled at Port Imperial in Weehawken for next Tuesday, where an announcement could be made.
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

Oh no not another street race

Why not do a race at Laguna Seca instead. Toyota did a run there years ago, its amazing

Could possibly LOOK amazing but street circuits.... No-one wants another expensive failure like Valencia.
    Forza Jules

I know where Bernie is going with this, he wants to make it the Singapore of the Western Hemisphere, with Manhattan in the backdrop and what not... but not yet another street race, please!!

I'm more than up for a 2nd US Grand Prix, but go back to Indy, or even give Road Atlanta, Road America, Sebring, Laguna Seca, any one of those a try! America has plenty of great race tracks!

The future is RED

i hope this doesnt happen, but i can see every race being a street citcuit in F1's future.

i hate how moneygrabbing FOM have become.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Process for Expanding F1:

1. Go to any government/promotor combo that has money AND an audience to sell cars and other luxury goods to (This is the only requirement)

2. Get them to sign a deal that - whilst potentially fatal for the track that is yet to be built - will not affect F1 if they decide to pull out because it was a bad idea to have a race there in the first place (e.g. Cost of running race and therefore tickets is so high that no-one wants to go / toilets fall below standards required by Bernie / Politics change so they drop it like a stone / it can't afford the latest cost of F1 etc.)

3. Get Tilke (or someone else if they INSIST) to design a track. Any old track will do - we'll worry about the quality of racing that it affords once we get there.

4. Get it built and finished approx. 10 days before the race is due to be held.

5. Everyone realises that it's not a very good track or at the very least that there is absolutely no point F1 being there at the expense of far better existing ones except for the fact that it was a commercially viable idea in 2011 to expand a sales market or for the government to increase the perceived prestige of the small but rich/formerly war torn/soon to be war torn/more money than sense* country. However, it pays, and cars are advertised and sold as a result - or rich people enjoy hanging out there when the race is on (but probably don't watch it).

How long will it be before F1 is composed primarily of races at tracks that we dont enjoy watching and the drivers dont particularly enjoy being at? Why do we need another street circuit when all of the others create dull racing? Simple really - cos the quality of the racing is the last thing that is considered when Bernie/FOM expands F1

* Delete as appropriate
    Last edited by Tifosi; 22nd October 2011 at 09:42.

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post

1. Go to any government/promotor combo that has money AND an audience to sell cars and other luxury goods to (This is the only requirement)

2. Get them to sign a deal that - whilst potentially fatal for the track that is yet to be built - will not affect F1 if they decide to pull out because it was a bad idea to have a race there in the first place (e.g. Cost of running race and therefore tickets is so high that no-one wants to go / toilets fall below standards required by Bernie / Politics change so they drop it like a stone / it can't afford the latest cost of F1 etc.)

3. Get Tilke (or someone else if they INSIST) to design a track. Any old track will do - we'll worry about the quality of racing that it affords once we get there.

5. Everyone realises that it's not a very good track or at the very least that there is absolutely no point F1 being there at the expense of far better existing ones except for the fact that it was a commercially viable idea in 2011 to expand a sales market or for the government to increase the perceived prestige of the small but rich/formerly war torn/soon to be war torn/more money than sense* country. However, it pays, and cars are advertised and sold as a result - or rich people enjoy hanging out there when the race is on (but probably don't watch it).

How long will it be before F1 is composed primarily of races at tracks that we dont enjoy watching and the drivers dont particularly enjoy being at? Why do we need another street circuit when all of the others create dull racing? Simple really - cos the quality of the racing is the last thing that is considered when Bernie/FOM expands F1

* Delete as appropriate

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    I'm more than up for a 2nd US Grand Prix, but go back to Indy, or even give Road Atlanta, Road America, Sebring, Laguna Seca, any one of those a try! America has plenty of great race tracks!
    Indy sucked. I would rather go without a 2nd US race if that's comin' back.

I would take a new street race overt hose Nascar style tracks anyday, even if it'll be another Valencia-like race.

Could work but street races tend to just be rather rubbish in general.
    Forza Ferrari

There's no point using the Manhattan skyline backdrop as a lure... we heard all about how lovely Valencia is and how it would look like Monaco, and it just looks like a load of concrete walls.
    Forza Jules

Not a fan of street circuits, but I really like that there will be another race in North America, definitely a positive move. Can't comment at all on the circuit simply because we haven't seen it yet, but, they're starting from a difficult position. Still, I like Monaco and that race provides great diversity to the calendar.

* Delete as appropriate
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    Not a fan of street circuits, but I really like that there will be another race in North America, definitely a positive move. Can't comment at all on the circuit simply because we haven't seen it yet, but, they're starting from a difficult position. Still, I like Monaco and that race provides great diversity to the calendar.
    Monaco, works because it part of F1 blood just like Ferrari in F1. There are plenty of existing really good and fast tracks in America already, may just need polishing up abit for F1, but they have them. No need for yet another, maybe dull street track. Singapores novelty has worn off now, Valencia, will always be dull racing round there.

not another street race..but we've seen those fail in the past..
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Hey wait a minute..I'll take another street race...I heard it may be New Jersey..well I know where Jersey is, n I'll go to a race there...
    N Indy? SOmeone didnt like Indy? I admit the track design wasnt great, but the place was huge, 220,000 people and there's still lottsa room,
    they had things going on all week, meet drivers, see Ferrari's up close...man, I thought it was a great event. N while IM in Joisey, I'll get me some Nathans
    n hit the Joisey Shore..

Be happy he doesn't mention his shortcut idea anymore. But who knows if he keeps adding street circuits.

Great news!! Especially since F1 seems to be inching its way closer to Toronto!!

New Jersey huh? Bernie better be careful who he screws over there or they could find him floating in the river.

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

New Jersey will host a Formula One race in 2013, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

Earlier this year the townships of West New York and Weekhawken announced their interest in bringing F1 to the city, with plans for a street race set against the backdrop of the Manhattan skyline. The latest report says an announcement is due on Tuesday which will see the race hit the streets in June 2013.

The reports suggest the New Jersey race will run alongside the US Grand Prix in Austin, which is set to make its debut on the calendar next season.

In August, the mayors of Weehawken and West New York released a joint statement saying the race would be privately funded, with Leo Hindery Jr, a former chief executive of the YES TV network, reportedly leading the group of investors.

"In these uncertain economic times when every direct and indirect revenue source is vital, our own Formula One race could be a very positive boost to our citizens," mayors Richard Turner and Felix Roque said in a joint statement last August. "This said, we need to ensure that the financial benefits from the privilege of having these races in our towns are equitably shared and that no tax dollars are used. The investor group has already told us that our towns would be substantially compensated annually."

F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone has been in talks with various promoters to bring a street race to Greater New York over the years but the plans have never reached fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by REDARMYSOJA View Post
    New Jersey huh? Bernie better be careful who he screws over there or they could find him floating in the river.

he will end up with Jimmy Hoffa

Road America is such an underrated, unrealized treasure in the US. It's in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin (where I am; it's actually about an hour north of me), and the woods make for a beautiful setting. I went to see the ALMS there in August and it was such an awesome time. It's a long, challenging track, and I think F1 drivers would love to be there. However, it would need a bit of renovations (more runoff areas and less gravel traps), and, just to repeat, it's in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin (not enough money for Bernie).

If you haven't seen a lap of Road America before, here's one in what I believe is an old Champ Car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duNKaCRm89c

The layout:

Quote Originally Posted by 996 GT1 Lover View Post
    Road America is such an underrated, unrealized treasure in the US. It's in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin (where I am; it's actually about an hour north of me), and the woods make for a beautiful setting. I went to see the ALMS there in August and it was such an awesome time. It's a long, challenging track, and I think F1 drivers would love to be there. However, it would need a bit of renovations (more runoff areas and less gravel traps), and, just to repeat, it's in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin (not enough money for Bernie).

If you haven't seen a lap of Road America before, here's one in what I believe is an old Champ Car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duNKaCRm89c

The layout:

great great track. Love that place. You lucky to have that just up road

You're absolutely right 996. I have Road America in iRacing and I like it a lot.

If they want a race in New York State there's also Watkins Glen, it even has a history in F1. Laguna Seca wouldn't provide a lot of overtaking opportunities I'm afraid.
    Last edited by F2008; 22nd October 2011 at 20:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    great great track. Love that place. You lucky to have that just up road
    Surprisingly, it was the first time I'd been up there. I'll be done with grad school in a few months, and if I get a job in Wisconsin, I'm going back for as much as I can.

Laguna Seca. Do it.

Wait. New Jersey?

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Cathay Pacific View Post
    Indy sucked. .

With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post

Wait. New Jersey?
    Yeah, New Jersey. "Where the sewage meets the sea".

Don't play dumb with me. I'm better at it than you are.

Poop on you all!

This Rocks!

I hope this happens!

Don't get me wrong, living in NJ, I don't like it much, but when it comes to tourism, being across the river from NYC it makes perfect sense.

Road America may be cool, but being in the middle of WI what are the people to do after the race? Go cow tipping? Come on.

I was at Indy in '05 '06 and '07 and there was nothing to do at night. The downtown are was about 4 blocks. It was a joke.

This makes far more sense, I don't like street circuits, but being 30min from my house, I will not complain!

My first thought is what "classic" GP circuit will we loose?
    Bernie already said no more than 20GP's and we're adding India this year, Austin next year, and Russia the year after that...

Unfortunately when someone says USA and F1 street circuit I think the GP in Detroit... And this plans sounds oddly familiar...

River: ✔
    Tall buildings: ✔
    Location that on the face of it sounds like somewhere you really wouldn't want to go: ✔
    Economic turmoil: ✔

On the bright side I think Ferrari North America is somewhere in that part of Jersey...

If they go through with it I hope its a success but it just sounds like a half-baked money hungry Bernie scheme...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about.
    Go back, look at my post again, then you'd see why I dislike it. I am pretty sure I'm not alone to find those mickey mouse turns and that Nascar Style bend boring.