Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    Slightly confused, is this like a seperate thing to the tv packages and for mobile or is it something where you already have to be a Sky customer?
    You don't have to be a sky subscriber at all. No box, no dish, no TV subscription. But you'll get sports and F1 for £9.99 through your mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    You don't have to be a sky subscriber at all. No box, no dish, no TV subscription. But you'll get sports and F1 for £9.99 through your mobile.
    Ok, I get you now, thanks

time you buy the apple rubbish, cheaper to get Sky
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    time you buy the apple rubbish, cheaper to get Sky

All resolved now.

It is available through the Sky Go app, however it is still extremely expensive.

But it is available only on mobile through the 'Sky Sports TV' app.

Download the app and then sign in, click a channel and it asks you to buy a £9.99pm subscription. The guy I chatted to says the F1 channel will be available in March.

There is no iPad app (he said he isn't sure if it's planned) but of course the iPhone app is available on iPad anyway. I think there is the same app for Android.

I was thinking of doing this but I'm not sure if the F1 channel will actually get added on to it since we are effectively getting pay per view instead of having to sign up for 12 months and with Sky you can never be sure.

But if this is the case then I will be downloading this app and if the app allows it you can also connect the phone to a tv via HDMI to watch it on the big screen but I can't see Sky letting that happen but will definitely keep an eye on this.

The crucial thing is that the f1 channel gets added to the Sky Sports TV app then alot of us with iPhones will be saving alot of money. Did you speak to someone from Sky who said this app would get the channel?
    Last edited by TheProdigalSon; 16th January 2012 at 23:11.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Quote Originally Posted by TheProdigalSon View Post
    I was thinking of doing this but I'm not sure if the F1 channel will actually get added on to it since we are effectively getting pay per view instead of having to sign up for 12 months and with Sky you can never be sure.

But if this is the case then I will be downloading this app and if the app allows it you can also connect the phone to a tv via HDMI to watch it on the big screen but I can't see Sky letting that happen but will definitely keep an eye on this.

The crucial thing is that the f1 channel gets added to the Sky Sports TV app then alot of us with iPhones will be saving alot of money. Did you speak to someone from Sky who said this app would get the channel?
    Not sure if the app will get the F1 channel or not, but Sky has some sort of DRM on their app, which means you can't use HDMI output to watch it on your tv.

The future is RED

I spoke to a guy from Sky and he told me the app would get the F1 channel from March.

The app may be able to AirPlay to AppleTV but not sure of that.

I spoke to a guy from Sky and he told me the app would get the F1 channel from March.

The app may be able to AirPlay to AppleTV but not sure of that.
    Brilliant cheers mate hope its true

ek583 is probably right about the DRM, if Sky allowed AirPlay they would effectively be shooting their bussiness model in the foot. Because a bunch customers would switch from there more expensive packages to just streaming this app to their tv for only a tenner a month. But I think eventually someone will find some sort of work around.
    Last edited by TheProdigalSon; 17th January 2012 at 00:18.

Brilliant cheers mate hope its true

ek583 is probably right about the DRM, if Sky allowed AirPlay they would effectively be shooting their bussiness model in the foot. Because a bunch customers would switch from there more expensive packages to just streaming this app to their tv for only a tenner a month. But I think eventually someone will find some sort of work around.
    Airplay or HDMI, Sky doesn't allow streaming on the telly off their app. Although I couldn't tell if jailbroken iPhones have some sort of workaround.

The future is RED

Huh? The BBC are only doing coverage for half a season?

At least do the whole season, or don't do a season at all. It just looks to haphazard...I hope though that it will stay free-to-air in Australia, even if it means putting up with ads (which I already have to)
    Mark Webber: "If you push to try and pass you kill the tyres but if you wait, then you find you're on the same strategy and finish behind them anyway".

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    Airplay or HDMI, Sky doesn't allow streaming on the telly off their app. Although I couldn't tell if jailbroken iPhones have some sort of workaround.
    I imagine it will be a pretty low quality stream as well, sticking it on a big screen would make it look worse
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I imagine it will be a pretty low quality stream as well, sticking it on a big screen would make it look worse
    That's a given.

Will there be any live streams avaialble on race day and free practice does anyone know or is it too early to ask? I have Sky but can not upgrade as in Europe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo181 View Post
    Will there be any live streams avaialble on race day and free practice does anyone know or is it too early to ask? I have Sky but can not upgrade as in Europe!!
    I'd think so, given how many live streams there are available for football matches.

The future is RED

A good option that you should consider is getting a satellite which shows tv from abroad, as i got a german satellite which shows german programs including rtl which shows every f1 race for free and live. Also i am sure other countries must show f1 live for free as well, the satellite that i got was about 90 quid which is a good price as you won't have to ever pay any subscriptions.

Yeah, a friend of mine has done just that. Got her own dish, tuned it into RTL, and will be listening to 5Live along with it.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Yeah, a friend of mine has done just that. Got her own dish, tuned it into RTL, and will be listening to 5Live along with it.
    Thats a really good idea, will mention it to my parents at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    The delay on that would be messed up...won't be in sync.

Quote Originally Posted by Guailo View Post
    The delay on that would be messed up...won't be in sync.
    Maybe so, but still better than nothing for someone who can't afford Sky.
    Forza Jules

That's a given.
    Over wi-fi the quality is very good and I have just seen videos where people are using a mirror app via cydia that mirrors the video onto the TV and it doesn't lose any quality looked great.

Damon Hill joins Sky's coverage of Formula 1 for 2012 season
    By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, January 17th 2012, 10:15 GMT

Damon Hill is to join Sky's coverage of Formula 1 this year to help provide expert analysis of the action for half the races.

The former world champion will be a member of Sky's team for the Australian, Bahrain, Monaco, British, German, Hungarian, Belgian, Indian, United States and Brazilian Grands Prix.

Speaking about his new job, Hill said: "The plans Sky Sports have for Formula 1 are very impressive, particularly the dedicated Formula 1 channel and I couldn't resist becoming involved.

"There are so many reasons to be excited about the new season and I can't wait to get started."

Hill will be on call throughout practice, qualifying and the race, with Sky Sport Executive Producer Martin Turner saying he was delighted about the addition to the team.

"Damon Hill is a British motor racing legend and has incredible Formula 1 knowledge and insight," he explained. "He will provide our viewers with not just a driver's eye view, but also that of a world champion. There aren't many around and I'm delighted we'll have Damon with us during the season."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97055
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Over wi-fi the quality is very good and I have just seen videos where people are using a mirror app via cydia that mirrors the video onto the TV and it doesn't lose any quality looked great.
    It's impossible for it not to lose quality. It's made in a resolution for a 3.5 inch screen to fit a 960x640 resolution. Blowing that up to a 32 inch TV with a 720p or better display is going to result in significant quality loss.

Plus, not many people jailbreak their devices to get access to this mirroring app.

Not as much as you may think its curtainly not going to be HD but its definitely watchable you can read all the small text from a distance which is good enough for me (depending on the app curtain ones will upscale the image to HD resolution ). That's the only thing if you want to jailbreak you're iPhone then it's an option.
    Last edited by TheProdigalSon; 17th January 2012 at 20:26.

It's impossible for it not to lose quality. It's made in a resolution for a 3.5 inch screen to fit a 960x640 resolution. Blowing that up to a 32 inch TV with a 720p or better display is going to result in significant quality loss.

Plus, not many people jailbreak their devices to get access to this mirroring app.
    Is it possible its an app also specifically built for the iPad? If so the resolution could well be higher. And if they were making it iPad3 friendly then the resolution will be excellent

Thanks for your response ek583 and goferrarigo I have sky and I have a large dish but I only have a basic card and I can not get it renewed without 1. A Uk address and I live in Portugal 2. The companies here get you a card and the full package but then have to get a new box and they charge yearly fee and then a more ridiculous fee than Sky, I have not yet looked into the local satellite but that then means another dish and more monthly charges and it will not be in English!! I like Martin Brundle's commentary too much!!!

Thank you father-in-law, thank you Sky Go....

PS Rupert, you can still get to ****!
    Trying to be less angry..

I'm very excited sky will do a great job

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Thank you father-in-law, thank you Sky Go....

PS Rupert, you can still get to ****!
    Agreed about Murdoch.
    I'm using Sky Go aswell. Thank you sister/brother-in-law

Power, Passion, Heritage, Beauty, Success = Scuderia Ferrari
    Magnum, Coke, Vodka = Kimi Raikkonen

SKY TV adverts

Damon Hill.
    Get ready for bitterness
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif