Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

any idea how these extra channels will work out like onboard etc? i found some of them when scanning the bird but they were all SD ... can't view the information on skysports.com since i'm outside of UK.
    Forza Melanie C!

I am very impressed with the channel so far. Really enjoyed the Legends shows with Emerson Fittipaldi and Jackie Stewart,so looking forwards to the next ones of those.

Simon Lazenby seemed ok, Georgie doesnt offend me and of course we know about the others already.Always been a big fan of Damon so i'm glad he's included too.

At the end of the day,I was not going to miss half the races whatever Sky was like so the fact that so far it seems good is a bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Ah but if they had made the programme an hour long they would have had to repeat it twice as often to be able to fit in all of those vital ad-breaks advertising the Sky+HD F1 Channel that you were already watching and subscribed to
    To be fair, there weren't that many advert breaks. Every 30 minutes or so. ITV has them every 15 minutes, so not too bad so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Ah but if they had made the programme an hour long they would have had to repeat it twice as often to be able to fit in all of those vital ad-breaks advertising the Sky+HD F1 Channel that you were already watching and subscribed to

The future is RED

It good so far, been watching the season reviews of 1988-1992, had them recorded. Hope there will be more of them, more 80s and 90s would be great.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It good so far, been watching the season reviews of 1988-1992, had them recorded. Hope there will be more of them, more 80s and 90s would be great.
    I agree.

I wouldn't mind watching the 00-04 reviews as well mind you!

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    I agree.

fingers crossed for them mate

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    I agree.

thanks for reminding me. can't find it on the tv guide, but will be nice. maybe sky won't show it, as they don't want people to see the evil reds winning

I enjoyed Steve Rider in the Legend's interview with Fittipaldi, he actually does seem to have love for F1. just goes to show how different way of the folk higher up can make a presenter look.
    No more Steve Hamilton. i bet if that was itv, they would have made him talk to Emerson about James Hunt.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Does anyone know how I can get Sky in the US or online? with the poor coverage we get here, I'd pay for it without thinking about it twice... unfortunately when I called a skyTV rep he shot down my dreams of getting their programming stateside. There must be a way, anyone have it figured out?

Uma vez FERRARI, sempre FERRARI

Just got the Sky HD box installed today very happy it came just in time, this is the first time I will be watching f1 in HD can't wait
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Quote Originally Posted by kheopsb View Post
    Does anyone know how I can get Sky in the US or online? with the poor coverage we get here, I'd pay for it without thinking about it twice... unfortunately when I called a skyTV rep he shot down my dreams of getting their programming stateside. There must be a way, anyone have it figured out?
    http://www.vipbox.tv/

Ive got Polsat HD for free so happy days for me :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Alonso View Post
    I am very impressed with the channel so far. Really enjoyed the Legends shows with Emerson Fittipaldi and Jackie Stewart,so looking forwards to the next ones of those.

Simon Lazenby seemed ok, Georgie doesnt offend me and of course we know about the others already.Always been a big fan of Damon so i'm glad he's included too.

At the end of the day,I was not going to miss half the races whatever Sky was like so the fact that so far it seems good is a bonus!

Katie Price with smaller **** and even less knowledge of F1...?
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post

I don't really believe that's a fair summary.

She's not thick, she's not loud, annoying and in your face.

Just because she's pretty, how does that make you draw the conclusion she knows nothing about F1? She's able to learn just as much as we are. Lee McKenzie had no F1 experience as far as I'm aware and the same may well go for Natalie Pinkham.

Katie Price would be using the camera as a mirror.

Not sure about Georgie myself but I don't think there's any need for comments like that.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by kheopsb View Post
    not legally, and you won't get it via satellite (can't see SKY sat over there). ur best bet would be having someone stream it to you. I would help but only got 1mbit upload here so it's kinda :(
    Forza Melanie C!

I thought you wouldn't be watching F1 on Sky anyway so it doesn't make any difference to you who's presenting it if that's the case!

BBC viewing figures up despite delayed coverage

The BBC’s delayed and edited highlights of Sunday’s Australian grand prix attracted more viewers than the British broadcaster’s live coverage of the same Melbourne race a year ago.

From 2012, F1′s television coverage for Britain is being shared between pay-channel Sky – who have the full-time live rights – and the public broadcaster BBC. Last year, the BBC’s live coverage of the 2011 season opener averaged 2.13 million viewers. But the delayed highlights package for 2012, aired hours after the race finished between 2 and 4pm, attracted 2.7 million viewers.

The figures may, however, be a one-off, with Australia usually among the lowest-rating races in Europe due to the very early morning live timeslot.

Sky’s live coverage of the pay-channel’s 2012 coverage, meanwhile, averaged just 526,000 viewers. A spokesman for the channel refused to comment on whether Sky was disappointed with the figures.

“It is the performance of the whole (F1) channel we are interested in. We are pleased with the launch of the channel overall,” he told the Guardian.

Eight of F1′s 12 teams are based in Britain.
    Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 Racing belongs to Ferrari
    I'm so proud to drive for this team." - Felipe Massa Brazil '08
    I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance - Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    BBC viewing figures up despite delayed coverage

Sky’s live coverage of the pay-channel’s 2012 coverage, meanwhile, averaged just 526,000 viewers. A spokesman for the channel refused to comment on whether Sky was disappointed with the figures.

“It is the performance of the whole (F1) channel we are interested in. We are pleased with the launch of the channel overall,” he told the Guardian.

Well they would say that, wouldn't they?

The same article says "More than a million viewers watched the climax to the first GP of the season.......but its overall audience was down 75% on BBC's coverage ( of the same race) last year".

That is not good news for BSkyB.

I doubt Sky will get as much viewers as BBC, still the BBC figures are probably boosted by people watching the live race with Sky and also the BBC highlights.
    Forza Ferrari

Always thought this will be the case. BBC will get much more casual viewers than before, those who perhaps weren't interested in watching the entire live race coverage before might sit down to watch the shorter highlights package, given that it's prime time tv.

And of course Sky won't get as much viewers as BBC, but let's not go overboard, it was just their first race and viewing numbers will surely go up as the season progresses.

Plus, Sky won't need as many viewers as the BBC to "break even", so it's no point comparing them head to head.

The future is RED

I wonder how many people actually watched streams of Sky's coverage, though

I read that the BBC's highlights showed something like 90% of the race, which is great - but the non-live aspect will keep me sticking with Sky for now. Not sure what to do for the races that the BBC have live... depends who is annoying me least out of EJ and Damon Hill that particular weekend.
    Forza Jules

With adverts during practice and after race etc on Sky I will prob use the BBC when they are live.
    Forza Ferrari

Why does Damon Hill annoy you? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Why does Damon Hill annoy you? :)
    Just.

He always has.
    Forza Jules

Commercial breaks every 15 minutes? Wow, in us they are every 8 minutes, last for 4 minutes, and are the most annoying,
    loud, blah blah blah nonsensical giberish on the planet. AND you get F1 highlights? We get a lot of nascar and monster trucks...
    To be fair, Speed does replay F1 races and have season shows. In off season they show BTCC n such....in between the gibersh.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Just.

He always has.
    fair enough! I'm not particularly a fan but he's been pretty good so far.

Lazenby and Hill were about as interesting as a fence at the weekend, it was horrendous viewing at times. I hate the 'Americanisation' of all the graphics, the over the top 'flashiness' of just about everything they do.

I'll be watching on the BBC when they are showing the races live.
    SCUDERIA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Commercial breaks every 15 minutes? Wow, in us they are every 8 minutes, last for 4 minutes, and are the most annoying,
    loud, blah blah blah nonsensical giberish on the planet. AND you get F1 highlights? We get a lot of nascar and monster trucks...
    To be fair, Speed does replay F1 races and have season shows. In off season they show BTCC n such....in between the gibersh.
    They don't show any ads during Qualifying and the Race, live and uninterrupted.

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by Bonjers View Post
    Lazenby and Hill were about as interesting as a fence at the weekend, it was horrendous viewing at times. I hate the 'Americanisation' of all the graphics, the over the top 'flashiness' of just about everything they do.

I'll be watching on the BBC when they are showing the races live.
    I thought David Croft was quite terrible as well. He was fairly confused throughout the race.