Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

BBC coverage still>Sky. I will certainly be watching the Chinese GP on the Beeb. Ben Edwards is really good, like a Jonathan Ledgard, only who knows his stuff.
    I can understand why all commentators are trying to go for the excited murray style commentating, but I wish someone would tells them all that they don't need to do that. They can have their own styles too, and can be more laid back if they want.
    But Ted is a lot better than Gary Anderson IMO. ted is partial for the Brit teams but what he stays about them makes sense and is interesting. But what Anderson says at times is just crazy. Maybe it is just rust, and he will grow into that role. I hope so.
    But this competition will be good for our quality of coverage, and I can see both sides, especially Sky, as they have to convince people tomwatch them instead of the BBC improving a lot very quickly.

Oh and it is a crime that Antony Davidson is only stuck in a room with some touchscreen. Get him in the box!

Jonny Herbert is joining the presentation team for China for Sky I think as well.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Alonso View Post
    I'm pretty sure he will. Must be a lot to take on,and I dont think he's bad now. Jake has 3 years of experience now so he's bound to feel and look more confident and comfortable but I dont see why the same wont happen to Simon.
    I'm still dissapointed for someone who has been presenting sport for a decade he's quite dull and unanimated.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Thanks for the input guys. Now I know when downloading the races, to stick with BBC. Yeah, I enjoy David these days as he isn't baised as he was during Hamilton's first year.

With that said, I actually would like to hear James Allen back, even though at times he was a bit in favour of the British drivers, but he was always himself and never acted out. Expect when Hamilton won...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegablue View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Now I know when downloading the races, to stick with BBC. Yeah, I enjoy David these days as he isn't baised as he was during Hamilton's first year.

With that said, I actually would like to hear James Allen back, even though at times he was a bit in favour of the British drivers, but he was always himself and never acted out. Expect when Hamilton won...
    I think he does the BBC radio 5live commentary now, if that could of any use.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

of the two I like the BBC's coverage, I think sky are trying too hard and are jazzing it up like an American event with their Sky pad / iPad thing, I didn't think much to Brundil's walk about, must be saving the BBC a few quid by jumping ship

I watched BBCF1 on TV today with Sky on the laptop before and after the race. I preferred the BBC for the pre-show and forum afterwards - in comparison Sky comes across as a bit dry and humourless, expecially the bits with the SkyPad when Anthony Davidson chats on and on while Georgie just nods. BBC also seemed to get to people first to interview them. I do prefer Sky's commentary team though as I'm not really keen on Ben Edwards' voice.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    I watched BBCF1 on TV today with Sky on the laptop before and after the race. I preferred the BBC for the pre-show and forum afterwards - in comparison Sky comes across as a bit dry and humourless, expecially the bits with the SkyPad when Anthony Davidson chats on and on while Georgie just nods. BBC also seemed to get to people first to interview them. I do prefer Sky's commentary team though as I'm not really keen on Ben Edwards' voice.
    He is a great commentator, but what ruins it is that he sounds way too much like Legard.
    Prefer sky, at least they don't lay into Ferrari as much. EJ really annoyed me by saying McLaren could make this car into a winner. The man just talks ******** at times.

I loved how Martin pretty much blanked EJ when he seen him going on the gridwalk, but did say hello to DC when they crossed paths
    Forza Ferrari

I watched BBC for the first time and to be honest coulthard and EJ`s grid walk was shocking,think i`ll stick to watching sky!

Quote Originally Posted by grinchy View Post
    I watched BBC for the first time and to be honest coulthard and EJ`s grid walk was shocking,think i`ll stick to watching sky!
    To be honest I have to agree with you, watching coulthard and Eddies walkabout was a bit cringing, I did think coulthard's was better. and thought the same for Brubdle, I seem to think people are/were blanking him, might be me seeing things not there. but thats what I felt, but over all, for me its the BBC

One interesting thing. I watched the forum on Malaysia, and since Ferrari win, they spent time talking about Karthikeyan, and other small teams. Didn't go to Ferrari garage at all for picture.
    Rosberg wins in China, and they head on over to the garage like they do with McLaren and their godawful rocket red splodges, and RedBull party music rubbish, why not Ferrari?

What's wrong BBC, only like talking about/to Ferrari to stick the knife in?
    Also, the same old sterile BS is said over and over again with regards to them by both broadcasters.
    Ferrari - big pressure - like national team etc. blabblabla rinse and repeat. You would think that they can give better insights than that, or getting EJ to just say they are doing everything wrong. Even itv were miles better than this!

Or maybe I am wrong, and Ferrari don't want BBC anywhere near their celebrations, but that is a general feeling that when Ferrari win, BBC don't go there, but they do if someone else wins.

Really starting to find the Sky coverage a bit dull. Simon Lazenby just isn't impressing me - he seems squirmy and uncomfortable at times; lots of pauses and umms and aahs. Damon Hill's the same. Not really any chemistry when they are all standing chatting. I do like the amount of air time they give each race but I do wish they'd spend more of that time on driver/team interviews rather than talking between themselves.

And aside from the BBC's interview with Fernando I don't think either channel really showed or talked about us today.

Maybe it was just the situation in Bahrain that made the coverage seem a bit lacklustre today but I really hope it improves for Spain.
    Forza Jules

The problem for Sky this season is how to add sufficient value to justify charging viewers for a product they used to enjoy for free on the BBC and ITV

What are you getting for it, a few more more hours on race day of coverage, but i got nearly as much coverage with the BBC and the Red Button.

Watching the F1 on Murdochvision is a necessity...I'll watch any races the BBC shows live until next year when we have no choice but but to watch Bentmediaproprietorvision. I am just grateful I have somebody's Sky Go, so even though it's not brilliant online, it's better than nowt!!

EDIT: And it's free.....!
    Trying to be less angry..

Forza Ferrari

Bit awkward I thought..
    Trying to be less angry..

@Greig, in that video clip, get the impression that Martin, doesnt really like Jake "the pout" Humphreys. Have not watched Beeb at all for the races.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Legard aside, the BBC probably had the best team since i've been following f1 (1996). If you were going to have a core three presenters then jake, DC and EJ make a great team as they bounce off each other, you could only really make this team better by replacing EJ with briatore and DC with MS or Mika. The current sky commentary team is the best since walker and brundle. I don't get the point of georgie porter except for eye candy purposes however she fails as she know nothing of F1, however Natalie Pinkham is just the perfect package in this regard. And as for Ted, he may not have a handle of the intricacies of aerodynamics, however these things really can't be explained on live TV and he's always in the right places at the right times. i love how he gets little scoops from inside teams during the GPs.

I just wanna go back in time a year and make the BBC outbid sky, they would have replaced regard anyway. Did anyone see legends coverage of the boat race? he's was shocking, I could have done it better.

i like EJ in a quirky type of way, he does add to the program.well he was a f1 team boss at one stage, better than tony jardine anyway.

Eddie Jordan makes me want to rip off my ears and gouge out my own eyeballs just so I don't have to hear or see him.

Aside from that I really like him on the BBC.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    I loved how Martin pretty much blanked EJ when he seen him going on the gridwalk, but did say hello to DC when they crossed paths
    Last night on BBC "the Red Button" Forum DC & Jake were walking behind the pits and chatting to various team personel who were around and guess what? One person they talked to was Martin Brundle. He didn't seem all that keen to say much and went quickly when Jake suggested he might be in breach of contract. As he went he shook Jakes hand and not DC's!!

Quote Originally Posted by watto2 View Post
    Last night on BBC "the Red Button" Forum DC & Jake were walking behind the pits and chatting to various team personel who were around and guess what? One person they talked to was Martin Brundle. He didn't seem all that keen to say much and went quickly when Jake suggested he might be in breach of contract. As he went he shook Jakes hand and not DC's!!

This thread is turning into OK magazine. Everyone guessing who might be blanking who for what reason

Both channel's coverage seemed a bit off for me in Bahrain for some reason. For instance, when I was watching the race highlights on BBC, there were a couple of moments when I clearly noticed a jump, i.e. poor editing. That hasn't happened in any of the previous races so far.

I read somewhere that both Sky and BBC sent smaller crew out to Bahrain than they do for races usually due to the situation there? Not sure how much truth there is to that, but hope for a better coverage from both in Spain.

And where was EJ this weekend? He hasn't been arrested and locked up by the Bahraini government, has he?

The future is RED

I think EJ skipped China last year aswell, didn't he?

Power, Passion, Heritage, Beauty, Success = Scuderia Ferrari
    Magnum, Coke, Vodka = Kimi Raikkonen

Really starting to find the Sky coverage a bit dull. Simon Lazenby just isn't impressing me - he seems squirmy and uncomfortable at times; lots of pauses and umms and aahs. Damon Hill's the same. Not really any chemistry when they are all standing chatting. I do like the amount of air time they give each race but I do wish they'd spend more of that time on driver/team interviews rather than talking between themselves.

And aside from the BBC's interview with Fernando I don't think either channel really showed or talked about us today.

Maybe it was just the situation in Bahrain that made the coverage seem a bit lacklustre today but I really hope it improves for Spain.
    Yeah my first impression of simple Simon hasn't really changed, still dull as dish water unfortunately. He also couldn't have made walking into a Redbull garage anymore awkward in the last post race show, he just seems way over his head and doesn't have that confidence and authority of a main presenter, at times the camera was just focusing on Martin who often had to take control.
    Last edited by TheProdigalSon; 24th April 2012 at 18:51.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

I'm still liking the Sky coverage. Simon has neither offended me nor wowed me but it is definitely better than listening the biased drivel Jake had been churning out. What really clinches it is the commentary team. I could not imagine listening to another commentator whilst Martin was still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Alonso View Post
    I'm still liking the Sky coverage. Simon has neither offended me nor wowed me but it is definitely better than listening the biased drivel Jake had been churning out. What really clinches it is the commentary team. I could not imagine listening to another commentator whilst Martin was still available.
    Yeah me too. IMO, BBC have their heads up RedBull/McLaren ****.
    I didn't see those guys trying to be chummy with Alonso after his win in Malaysia, in fact the only way they get a word from him is when Lee is interviewing him in the pen. Why is that btw?

But seriously, they hype up the flavour of the months, and I prefer sky right now, at least they remain a little more impartial.

Regarding commentary, has anyone listened to the James/Jaime combo yet on 5 Live?
    Forza Jules

Nope. Do they both commentate on practice too?

Regarding commentary, has anyone listened to the James/Jaime combo yet on 5 Live?
    I got nostalgia when I was listening to it. Reminded of Felipe's good days.

They are alright to listen to I think, James Allen isn't as bad as he was end of 2008 and I have a soft spot for Jaime.