Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    I feel like the BBC have sold out the fans, especially after all the fanfare of them GETTING the F1 coverage rights at the beginning of 2009. Sheesh, at least see out the contract.
    I couldn't care less about the Olympics and I expect the BBC have thrown tons of cash at it to the detriment of other sports.

I have Sky but I don't have Sky Sports - it'll add about £20 onto my bill so that's over £60 a month I will be lining their pockets with. As much as I'd like to make a stand and not get it, I love F1 too much not to so I guess I will probably grit my teeth and pay for it. Like a lot of people it is going to make things tighter each month - I live on my own and am going to have to budget even more now.

Tbh though it's not the money that bugs me the most - BBC for all its faults has given us good coverage (despite EJ) for the most part these past few seasons, and I worry that Sky's tendency to sensationalise everything will lead to trashier coverage.

i try think who they may get. I hope MB goes over to Sky, EJ, just for the laughs. Your right, Beeb has sold us F1 fans out. You imagine the up roar if they were to do this with Wimbledon? Just isnt fair.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    what about all those "big names" they have getting paid stupid money for just presenting Lotto or chat shows (Winton&Norton name but two. All the football pundits? how much they get? how many do they really need? And yes, the Olympics, i bet they get money thrown at them for broadcasting, tonnes and tonnes of pundits, presenters and hangers on!!! . Beeb, im sorry got this totally wrong.

Sure, Sky has made helped make the Prem League what it is today. Hope if Sky money F1 goes that way Bernie dishes out the revenues fairly to all teams and less go out of the sprt to CVC or any where else. Now i got add sky sports on my package, tight at moment.
    I know mate, personally I couldn't give two hoots about the Olympics, but it's unreasonable to think that the BBC will sacrifice all other sports just for the sake of keeping F1 (no matter how prestigious the exclusive F1 contract is for BBC). And you bet they're spending tons of money for the Olympics coverage next year, but apart from the football World Cup, the Olympics is the only sport that draws more audiences than F1, and being the home broadcaster, again it's not unreasonable to expect them to try and cover that as best as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend Sky or BBC here, I'm just trying to be pragmatic with this.

The United States, the world's largest economy, potentially defaulting on its debts is just one example of what it's like out there at the moment. It's not just you and me who are finding it difficult. It's sad, but true.

The future is RED

F1 is a sport that has image problems over fuel consumption in times of climate change, monumental salaries in a period of financial depression, dealings with potentates in undemocratic countries, a notion of 'glamour' that makes you wince/lol when you see it in the flesh, to name but a few.
    So, in July 2011, what more admirable people could you find to whom to entrust the presentation of the sport across the world? Those media paragons of virtue, the Murdochs, of course.

Pure class , Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra View Post
    F1 is a sport that has image problems over fuel consumption in times of climate change, monumental salaries in a period of financial depression, dealings with potentates in undemocratic countries, a notion of 'glamour' that makes you wince/lol when you see it in the flesh, to name but a few.
    So, in July 2011, what more admirable people could you find to whom to entrust the presentation of the sport across the world? Those media paragons of virtue, the Murdochs, of course.

Pure class , Bernie.
    yep

i simply cant afford it, no matter hoe much i love f1 and ferrari, i will have to make do with the highlights.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    I wonder how this will affect North American coverage on TSN or Speed?
    Well TSN gets their feed from the BBC.... so sadly it will affect us also :( Speed has their own commentators at the least, I'm not sure if they provide their own live broadcasting but if they don't they could possibly switch to another free to air broadcaster for a fee and simply continue to provide their own commentary.... maybe TSN could then pay for their feed.... fingers crossed....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Anyone know what's the deal with the coverage in Australia, OneHD?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    ...maybe TSN could then pay for their feed.... fingers crossed....
    as are my arms, my legs and my eyes!!

I'm very disappointed. After the ITV years, we had finally got BBC coverage with no adverts and Martin Brundle as lead commentator........I've got Sky - but it would be too expensive to add on Sky Sports as apart from F1 the only sport I watch is some tennis.
    Deedee

Quote Originally Posted by Deedee View Post
    .I've got Sky - but it would be too expensive to add on Sky Sports as apart from F1 the only sport I watch is some tennis.
    I'm in the same boat. I have little to no interest in football and ZERO interest in golf or cricket.
    Forza Jules

Over 3,000 comments on the BBC blog about this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sportedit...red_betwe.html
    Forza Jules

AS much as I hate to say it, I will not be watching F1 post 2011. Out of principle, I will not have Sky TV (even more so after News Internationals recent shenanegans). What is the point of watching delayed highlights? Every weekend trying to avoid the Radio/Twitter etc. Unless I can find a non subscription way to watch F1, I am 1 viewer less for F1.

Depressing.

(My missus is happy though, as now the lawn will be mowed on more sundays than at current)
    Some say he knows two facts about ducks and they are both wrong...
    @bigandyclifton

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/0...nd-bbc-emerge/

This evening I’ve managed to get a much clearer picture of how the new SKY/BBC TV deal in the UK is going to work and it’s not what many people think.

First the subject of what the BBC will show on the 10 weekends when SKY has the exclusive live rights. Although FOTA chairman Martin Whitmarsh says he has had assurances from Bernie Ecclestone today that the race will be shown in its entirety a few hours delayed on free to air, BBC sources say that this is not the case and that the show will be around 75 minutes, meaning extended highlights with brief introduction and post race analysis.

So either Whitmarsh is taking a leaf from Ecclestone’s book and spreading confusion, or he’s taking a negotiating stance, suggesting that the scenario he paints is what would be acceptable to the teams under the Concorde Agreement, which safeguards their interests against F1 going live on Free to Air TV exclusively.

There is more to come on this subject.

The BBC will show these extended highlights in a 5pm or 6pm slot on Sunday night, which is prime time TV, hence the assumption by Ecclestone that the casual viewer will be caught up and in this way the audience may grow.

The extent of the collaboration between BBC and Sky on the production of the coverage is also becoming clearer. The commentary will be shared between both programmes, but the presentation teams will be different. The BBC is likely to have limited presentation as they will want to get quickly into the race highlights action at the start of the show and then there will be some analysis afterwards.

However the on site facilities will be shared, so rather than having two trucks, they will share edit equipment and production facilities. This will mean a major saving for both sides.

This is what BBC F1 boss Ben Gallop means by “shared economy.”
    So much for the BBC's 'Bring a friend to F1' campaign, eh?
    Yeah - bring a friend to F1 and then have to explain to them that they can't watch anymore because Sky's too flippin' expensive.
    Forza Jules

Personally I'd rather save the £600 plus required to get the SKY package (plus installation costs) and buy tickets to two grand prix. The rest I might as well watch down the pub it would be cheaper even with £20 for drinks - and it would save me £140 or whatever I pay for my overpriced and largely wasted tv license.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Domenicali View Post
    Personally I'd rather save the £600 plus required to get the SKY package (plus installation costs) and buy tickets to two grand prix. The rest I might as well watch down the pub it would be cheaper even with £20 for drinks - and it would save me £140 or whatever I pay for my overpriced and largely wasted tv license.
    your pub must be really nice guys and racing fans.

because around 1:00 on the sunday, the football would be on most of the time, and most pubs will put that on.

but if your pub puts on F1, then thats nice, and pretty lucky.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Just to incense me further...I registered on the BBC blog and registered my displeasure and they have referred my comment for further consideration I hope this means someone at the BBC is reading it. The more I think about it, the more livid I am.

Gutted Apparently Channel 4 offered the same amount of money to take the rights from the BBC but Bernie chose to let Sky take them.

Just to incense me further...I registered on the BBC blog and registered my displeasure and they have referred my comment for further consideration I hope this means someone at the BBC is reading it. The more I think about it, the more livid I am.
    Nice one

Racing is life and life is a risk - Michael schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    Gutted Apparently Channel 4 offered the same amount of money to take the rights from the BBC but Bernie chose to let Sky take them.
    I would have rather they got it than sky

Racing is life and life is a risk - Michael schumacher

Yes, but channel 4 would have been pants. There would have been adverts and a smaller budget. Sky will do it properly, we just have to pay for the privilege of it.

Ooh, really?

The future is RED

I think the license should be and should have been looked at. £10 more per year is £0.83 per month. Hardly a big increase but that'd have paid for F1 on the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Yes, but channel 4 would have been pants. There would have been adverts and a smaller budget. Sky will do it properly, we just have to pay for the privilege of it.
    Yeah, that's a good point. At least Sky should put on a good show. I hope so anyway, given the exorbitant subscription fees!

The future is RED

I think the license should be and should have been looked at. £10 more per year is £0.83 per month. Hardly a big increase but that'd have paid for F1 on the BBC.
    Was it not that the licence fee was frozen for the next few years, and that the BBC is now getting a smaller proportion of it or something?

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    Was it not that the licence fee was frozen for the next few years, and that the BBC is now getting a smaller proportion of it or something?
    I'm not aware of that mate, not sure of the details. That would have been a simple solution in my eyes though.

Other than Bernie dipping his hand in his pocket and paying for the BBC to keep it. He will earn more than their budget in interest alone every year.

I would have rather see it with adverts than only half the races. Not everyone can afford Sky. I imagine they will do a great job but it makes no difference if hardly anyone can watch it because of the cost.

From what I understand yes the TV license fee has been frozen for six years and the BBC decided to find 20% cost savings from their sports budget, so they have sacrificed F1 to keep Wimbledon (for 3 weeks of the year).

I would have rather see it with adverts than only half the races. Not everyone can afford Sky. I imagine they will do a great job but it makes no difference if hardly anyone can watch it because of the cost.
    Yes but it for had the money to do it, you would be saying Sky would be better.

I can't afford £42 per month but I'm going to have to do it. They've forced every die hard fans hands. Either you pay, or you don't see it.

F1 will only lose the casual supporter in my view. Most die hard fans will bite the bullet and begrudgingly pay for it. Where there's a will, there's a way.

For example, with you at Uni, how many people share your accommodation? 5? That's 'only' £6.40 a month (non HD) each if they're up for chipping in.

From what I understand yes the TV license fee has been frozen for six years and the BBC decided to find 20% cost savings from their sports budget, so they have sacrificed F1 to keep Wimbledon (for 3 weeks of the year).
    Pfft. Un freeze it!!!!

Exactly Sian, alot of people in this country have either lost jobs, taken pay cuts and having to meet increased living costs as a result of the economic situation in this country....it is pretty hard to justify £50-60 a month for 1 TV program.

Exactly Sian, alot of people in this country have either lost jobs, taken pay cuts and having to meet increased living costs as a result of the economic situation in this country....it is pretty hard to justify £50-60 a month for 1 TV program.
    Not quite that much, but still a lot - £32pm minimum.