Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Alonso View Post
    I don't think it's a case of the BBC wanting to end the contract early. They simply can't afford it anymore. Like everyone keeps saying, times are hard.
    yet they can afford this, and i will guarantee that this will fail, as everyone will watch the itv one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-X-Factor.html

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    yet they can afford this, and i will guarantee that this will fail, as everyone will watch the itv one.
    And... I'm sure they've put a little on the side to cover the Olympics, no? :angel

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    And... I'm sure they've put a little on the side to cover the Olympics, no? :angel
    but the olympics is the worlds biggest sporting event.

that is yet another godforsaken talent show, that we have to put up with brats, and celeb wannabees, just to watch them become nobodies again.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

but the olympics is the worlds biggest sporting event...
    True enough; but, it's also a huge drain on the networks, governments, local infrastructures, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    Oh yes I'm sure we'll all be happy at the prospect of watching Usain Bolt winning the 100m final coutesy of the beeb when trackside spectators will be paying around £20/sec or more for the privilege once the touts have done their worst!
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

I have watched F1 on TV (for free) as long as I can remember. When I first heard this news my initial reaction was just to get Sky Sports next year and be done with it but having had a chance to think about it I have decided that I'm not going to. I refuse to line Sky and Bernie's pockets and would much rather put the money that I save towards going to a couple of races.

I shall make do with live radio coverage and highlights instead

Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post
    I have watched F1 on TV (for free) as long as I can remember. When I first heard this news my initial reaction was just to get Sky Sports next year and be done with it but having had a chance to think about it I have decided that I'm not going to. I refuse to line Sky and Bernie's pockets and would much rather put the money that I save towards going to a couple of races.

hear hear
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

Does anyone know if
    the BBC receive any revenue for the feeds that other countries receive with bbc commentary, ie we get their feed over here in the Philippines on StarSports?

Yes, to use the BBC feed on another non-BBC network would entail a fee.... they make revenue off of it....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

That would make cents!!

:angel

Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post

I'm starting to think that way too. I am thinking very tentatively about going to Monaco next year and if I got Sky Sports that'd be £200 gone that I could be putting away for it.
    If I thought it would be easy to get an online stream every race I wouldn't bother getting it, and you can always find post-race driver interviews on YouTube if you missed that aspect of the coverage.
    Forza Jules

I totally don't agree with what's happened but as I'm sure most people will (well those who already have Sky) I will resign myself to the fact that I'll have to subscribe if I want to watch the sport I love.

What I can't understand is why they keep banging on about keeping the tennis (and I really like watching Wimbledon!). They are willing to get rid of a sport that brings in many viewers on a Saturday and Sunday for something that is only on for 2 weeks a year. And moreover something that is on when most people are at work Monday to Friday. I'd love to know what the viewing figures are during these times ???
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Julie B View Post
    I totally don't agree with what's happened but as I'm sure most people will (well those who already have Sky) I will resign myself to the fact that I'll have to subscribe if I want to watch the sport I love.

What I can't understand is why they keep banging on about keeping the tennis (and I really like watching Wimbledon!). They are willing to get rid of a sport that brings in many viewers on a Saturday and Sunday for something that is only on for 2 weeks a year. And moreover something that is on when most people are at work Monday to Friday. I'd love to know what the viewing figures are during these times ???
    Couldn't have put it better myself Julie.

With regards to those who were saying about the new talent show. I agree it will be total garbage but unfortunately,this is the sort of thing people buy into these days (The Only Way Is Essex for example) and if the BBC think they can have a big prime time hit and get people paying money on phone in votes they will.

Yes,we all love F1 and rightly feel very hard done to but there are more viewers that dont watch F1 than do, that obviously the Beeb need to consider.

Barbara Slater Has Killed Off F1 In The UK. She Must Go
    BBc director of sport Barbara Slater said "The news means the BBC now has more money to spend on flagship events such as Wimbedon"
    WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She has betrayed all the F1 Fans, not only in this country, but also others who use the BBC commentary feed. Why? So that she can spend
    more on Wimbledon & of course the huge amount that she will be spending on 2 week long jamboree next summer when the Olympics come
    to London.
    She is completely out of touch with the Licence Payers who want more than just football, cricket & tennis.

She needs to go!! Now while the ink is still wet.
    Here's the link for the petition, if you'd like to "sign" it:
    http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/sackbarbaraslater

has a online petition ever worked?
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Yes! There was that one that..

Oh.
    Forza Jules

Has it ever hurt?

Murdoch failed to acquire BSkyB so now he is just going to buy it bit by bit until he owns it all anyway, starting with F1

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Yes! There was that one that..

The only petition I know of that did work was the pressure one to get Alonso out of McLaren........but that was worked on by an international team over a long time and not a knee jerk reaction type petition.

Oh.
    Keep Racing!
    www.fofassociation.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Alonso View Post
    I don't think it's a case of the BBC wanting to end the contract early. They simply can't afford it anymore. Like everyone keeps saying, times are hard.
    The deal could have gone to Channel 4 who offered the same money as SKY. It does not take a conspiracy theorist to work out why Bernie went with SKY instead of a free for view channel like Channel 4. Greedy B....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sportedit...red_betwe.html

If C4 offered the same money then how is it down to greed? where is the info on what Sky has paid and what C4 offered?
    Forza Ferrari

If C4 had gotten it, we'd all be moaning about adverts anyway. (Would have been free though).
    Forza Jules

I guess this means some of my student loan is going to have to go on multiroom and sports pack for Sky coz my Dad sure won't pay it!!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
    I guess this means some of my student loan is going to have to go on multiroom and sports pack for Sky coz my Dad sure won't pay it!!
    We can get Setanta in NI - not sure how much it'd be in comparison to Sky Sports but it's always an option. At the moment they seem to show F1 with the Brundle/DC commentary so obviously I don't know if they will have F1 coverage next year either
    Forza Jules

If C4 offered the same money then how is it down to greed? where is the info on what Sky has paid and what C4 offered?
    http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sky-f...1108011327.htm

Ecclestone has moved swiftly to reassure Formula 1 fans that whilst the BBC did a great job with Formula One, the coverage on Sky is set be even better. He expects BSkyB’s broadcasting to attract a wider audience because the company is so experienced in delivering this type of content. This is something that Ecclestone took into consideration when he opted for Sky over Channel 4 who also bidded the same amount for full F1 coverage rights.
    I very much doubt Ecclestone cares what the coverage is like so long as he gets more money from the deal eventually. There are very few free for view world sports events. Once SKY have swallowed up F1, he knows they have the money to pay him year after year. He could not risk Channel 4 going the way of ITV. He might get short of cash!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    If C4 had gotten it, we'd all be moaning about adverts anyway. (Would have been free though).
    I only ever moaned about adverts on ITV because ITV were clueless when showing them. I have watched F1 abroad and the adverts are instant, timed to less dramatic parts of the race and also had adverts at the base of the screen so you can still see the race. You got the impression that they controlled the adverts to the race.
    ITV were a joke, they had a set time for adverts regardless that you just saw a massive amount of smoke come out of MS's car in the penultimate race of 2006 for example. The adverts lasted 4+ minutes with an intro advert for F1 before the main adverts (FFS like i didn't know what i was watching) then when the DAZ and COLA adverts ended an intro F1 advert. The length and timing of adverts coupled with the amount of action we lost, was why we moaned.
    Channel 4 could have adopted a more intelligent way of showing adverts you noticed instead of hated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-X-Factor.html
    This sort of trite gets the audience I am afraid which F1 doesn't.
    I find it hard to understand why so few people are interested in F1 since Britain is after all the home of motorsport!!!

Forza Jules

well, i live in France and have no option really. TF1 (kinda like the French BBC i guess) decided to stop telecasting qualifying this year - no idea why and since i'm not very French-media savvy, i didnt realise this until i tuned in and watched some cartoons for 15 min before furiously searching for an online live feed.

i, for one, wouldnt mind paying for F1 but apparently, even that isnt an option here. anyone else here live in France and knows something i dont?
    Felipe Massa for World Champion 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by steelstallions View Post
    I only ever moaned about adverts on ITV because ITV were clueless when showing them. I have watched F1 abroad and the adverts are instant, timed to less dramatic parts of the race and also had adverts at the base of the screen so you can still see the race. You got the impression that they controlled the adverts to the race.
    If C4 had adopted F1 I would have forgiven them for the adverts---time to make a cup of tea or pour something stronger. Admittedly something crucial may have happened in the race just then!!!!
    It would have been so much better than having to pay for sky sport when I only need it to watch F1.
    Every other sport that I want to watch is on the terrestial channels.

Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by sv_godspeed View Post
    well, i live in France and have no option really. TF1 (kinda like the French BBC i guess) decided to stop telecasting qualifying this year - no idea why and since i'm not very French-media savvy, i didnt realise this until i tuned in and watched some cartoons for 15 min before furiously searching for an online live feed.

i, for one, wouldnt mind paying for F1 but apparently, even that isnt an option here. anyone else here live in France and knows something i dont?
    In Brittany my dad gets freesat, so when I'm there I watch the race on BBC. I think quite a few Brits on the continent get Freesat, you may need a slightly larger dish depending on where u are. The good thing is there's no licence fee to pay. As for next year, I guess the easiest thing will simply be to find a feed on the net, I guess there will be quite a few feeds cropping up.