Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

We need to be happy that the bbc still has f1 they are still showing half the season live.
    And if they show the full race in the evening of weekends when they don't have live coverage it
    should be okay. I just hope brundle stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Ditto this.
    yep me too.

Quote Originally Posted by schumi1 View Post
    I just hope brundle stays.
    Unfortunately it seems he's already signed with Sky.
    FORZA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Unfortunately it seems he's already signed with Sky.
    One commentary team for BBC and Sky anyway so we will have his commentary regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    The petition has gone up 5000 signatures since [August 5, 2011 (14:46)]...
    Update:
    Number of signatures: 13,945
    Keep circulating it: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

I can't believe we haven't got above 50k signs already. :(

Maybe the "real" tragedies people are facing right now, globally, including the
    riots in London and the reality of the U.S. economy have taken centre stage?

Quote Originally Posted by sagi58 View Post
    Update:
    Number of signatures: 13,945
    Keep circulating it: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57
    With a low number of signatures, a petition like this might actually have a reverse effect.

Quote Originally Posted by NJB13 View Post
    With a low number of signatures, a petition like this might actually have a reverse effect.
    I don't see how. 14k people have still signed.

It remains difficult for people to sign this sort of thing. You can just stumble over it. You need to be part of some kind of social media or forums. A lot of viewers won't be.

Check this out...

Seems like F1 on Channel 4 would have been pretty decent.

Click Me

Check this out...

Click Me
    wow, they were really going to go all out on it.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

This is the official petition to keep F1 on the BBC. If it gets 100,000 signatures, it will be raised in parliament.

Pass this on, sign in, share it, tweet it, FB it. Everything it.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57
    Where on Earth has the petition gone?????????

got looted
    Forza Ferrari

Check this out...

Click Me
    'Historical coverage with extended use of archive'.

Dammit
    Forza Jules

'Historical coverage with extended use of archive'.

Dammit
    Dammit indeed. Maybe we were all too quick to jump on the "we don't want Channel 4" bandwagon.

Bloomin' Bernie.

This is so depressing.

I really don't want to pay sky any more money. I think it is the end of watching live f1 (full season) for me since the age of 7.

I really hope to God that sky regrets this deal when the viewing figures flounder.

The petition appears to be getting nowhere.

Check this out...

Click Me
    I can't open the link as I'm at work and computer says no but my experience of watching sport on Channel 4 (in particular horse racing) has been excellent..... great commentary and a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff. In view of what's happened it's a real shame they didn't get the rights.

Most of the kids who would otherwise be watching F1 in years to come, will be too busy putting bricks through shop windows or under car axles! sad really
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

From Sky News . . .

The EU courts have ruled that current Premier League broadcasting rights are against the law, in a move that may allow football fans to watch matches using foreign decoders.

The landmark ruling will allow pubs to show football matches via the cheaper satellite devices, but only if rights holders allow.

The initial case was brought by a Portsmouth pub landlady against the Premier League over its broadcasting restrictions.

Karen Murphy, who owns the Red White and Blue pub, had been fined £8,000 for using a cheaper Greek decoder to screen live matches.

Currently BSkyB owns almost all broadcasting rights to English Premier League games.

After a six year legal battle, the European Court of Justice has ruled that the current system of separate broadcast licences for different member countries is "contrary to EU law".

The restriction had effectively prevented fans from watching matches with a decoder card in member states.

The verdict could have far reaching consequences for the football fan, Sky TV and for the whole of English football.

Its implications are still unfolding but it may force the Premier League to sell pan-European television rights in the future.

There are 18 legal points to consider and further legal appeals in the British High Court still to come.

Judges warned that "protected works", which could include the opening sequence or the Premier League anthem, were subject to copyright and their broadcast will require the permission of the "author of the works".

BSkyB shares fell 3% as the news came out.
    Wonder if this could affect their F1 plans
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Wonder if this could affect their F1 plans
    ooh. me likey. would also mean that Man U, Barca and Real may get severely less revenue from this, as they are famous for big money TV rights. if not for the F1. at least for that

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

How do I get one of those foreign decoder thingies then?
    Forza Jules

How do I get one of those foreign decoder thingies then?
    Check this link out, i can't find the list of world broadcasters for 2012 season, but here's the 2011 season one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_broadcasters

Look at which channel you would like to see the F1 races on, (some you'll need a subscription), some are free to air.

Then you'll need a satellite dish aligned to pick the channel you want to see and then tune the box in to pick up the channels. You can buy decoder boxes for a reasonable price that will support variety of satellite frequencies.

Here's a list of satellite frequencies of every satellite channel in the world.

https://www.satalogue.com/tech/page9.htm

Hope that helps

I think that the upshot of all this is that if you buy a decoder and pay a subscription to a legitimate European(EU)-based broadcaster you are not breaking the law if you are in the UK or, presumably, any other EU country.

If, say, a Spanish broadcaster has the rights to show F1 on satellite, we here in the UK can subscribe and access the feed.

Of course this may also mean that the Premier League and Murdochvision may need to renegotiate a pan-European deal but how will that sit with, for example, a Greek broadcaster who can afford to offer footie to a pub at £800 a year against £6,000* via Sky in the UK?

*I think those are roughly the figures mentioned in respect of the Portsmouth landlady's case.
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    I think that the upshot of all this is that if you buy a decoder and pay a subscription to a legitimate European(EU)-based broadcaster you are not breaking the law if you are in the UK or, presumably, any other EU country.

If, say, a Spanish broadcaster has the rights to show F1 on satellite, we here in the UK can subscribe and access the feed.

Of course this may also mean that the Premier League and Murdochvision may need to renegotiate a pan-European deal but how will that sit with, for example, a Greek broadcaster who can afford to offer footie to a pub at £800 a year against £6,000* via Sky in the UK?

*I think those are roughly the figures mentioned in respect of the Portsmouth landlady's case.
    Yeah I think for the Greek broadcaster it was £800 for a year where-as Sky wanted £700 a month. Just amazing the difference in price really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    Yeah I think for the Greek broadcaster it was £800 for a year where-as Sky wanted £700 a month. Just amazing the difference in price really.
    Does the Greek broadcaster have HD and 3D coverage though?

And Gary Neville as a pundit?

Only joking.

The future is RED

Received from MP Don Foster after an email I’d sent to him…………..

Don Foster MP urges House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee to discuss F1 broadcasting deal
    September 27, 2011 12:18 PM
    Loyal Formula One fans are justifiably outraged by the situation they have been left in following the deal between the BBC, BSkyB and Formula One Management.
    Many are concerned about the unclear circumstances that led to this arrangement and the seeming lack of accountability of those involved. Important questions remain unanswered about how this deal happened, and whether it was done in the best interests of licence fee payers and fans.
    What happened?
    In early September, Don Foster MP wrote to the BBC's Mark Thompson and Formula One Management chief executive Bernie Ecclestone. He was primarily "concerned that F1 fans in the UK, who are also licence fee payers, had no one speaking up for what was in their interests." Particularly discomfiting were claims that the BBC was the main facilitator of the end result. The apparent discrepancies between the stories given by FOM and the BBC of what happened - and even changes to those accounts - has done little to help the situation.
    Following publication of Don's letters numerous complaints appeared on the BBC blogs. However, it appears that the BBC deleted many comments on the basis that they were 'off topic'. Why did the BBC quickly downgrade the prominence of the debate and not allow an open forum for discussion?
    Recent developments
    Don's letters have successfully triggered a round of private discussions with those involved in the deal, including between Don and Bernie Ecclestone.
    Don is shortly to have a meeting with the BBC's Head of Sports.
    To date, none of the key players (BBC, F1 and BSkyB) are publicly commenting on the grounds that they are unable to release commercially sensitive information.
    However, the BBC has made clear that it has had to respond to a significant cut in its Licence Fee income. It has also had totake on new funding responsibilities (such as the BBC World Service and Welsh language broadcaster S4C).
    But questions remain.
    In particular, did the way the BBC do a deal with BSkyB prevent other free-to-air broadcasters (ITV, C4 and C5) bidding?
    The BBC has said, it did not block any other broadcaster from submitting a bid for the rights to F1 either on their own or in conjunction with another broadcaster...Bidding for the rights in conjunction with Sky was in the best interests of all licence fee payers given the need to deliver a balanced portfolio of sporting events.
    This is contrary to Bernie Ecclestone's earlier claims that BBC 'held all the cards', He has quickly abandoned his line of argument claiming we would have loved to have stayed with the BBC but they could guarantee nothing (Quoted in the Express). As such, a deal without BSkyB was 'not realistic'. This has merely added to the confusion
    The future
    Don will meet with the Head of BBC Sports but, as with his discussions with Bernie Ecclestone, it may be that he is unable to make public the outcome.
    It is hoped that when the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee questions Mark Thompson and the BBC Trust Chairman, Lord Patten, the F1 deal will form part of the discussion. However, this is a matter for a Committee on which Don Foster does NOT sit and, currently, the indications are that the matter may well NOT be raised.
    Don Foster has written to the Chairman of the Committee, John Whittingdale MP, asking that the issue is discussed. Don also hopes that - with pressure from their own constituents - other MPs will do likewise.
    If you want to help, please contact your own MP asking him / her to write to the Select Committee Chair, John Whittingdale MP, and ensure the F1 broadcasting deal is discussed at the next House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee.
    You can find out who your MP is by clicking this link and entering your postcode: http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

I hope this is OK here. It 's comletely non party political, as you can see. I tried setting it up as a thread but perhaps I did something wrong. No surprise there
    Anyway, it's a thought - I'll definitely write to my MP. It's still really irks me that fans in the UK of all places are being treated like this.

BBC's Mark Thompson to face MPs on F1 deal with BSkyB
    Josh Halliday
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 26 October 2011 17.09 BST

Mark Thompson, the BBC director general, is to face questions from MPs about the corporation's handling of its Formula One TV rights deal with BSkyB.

The Commons culture, media and sport select committee will question Thompson and the BBC Trust chairman, Lord Patten, about the deal when they appear before MPs to discuss BBC governance in December.

John Whittingdale, the Conservative MP and chairman of the committee, said in a letter to the Lib Dem culture spokesman, Don Foster, that a large number of people had expressed concerns about the deal, which will result in live coverage of half the Formula One grands prix away from free-to-air TV for the first time.

Sky will broadcast all the Formula One grands prix and practice sessions live from next season, with the BBC broadcasting half of the races, as part of the deal announced in July. Live TV coverage of Formula One reverted to the BBC in 2009 after 13 years on ITV.

Foster raised fears in September that no one was speaking on behalf of Formula One viewers and that there were "glaring problems" with accounts given by the BBC, Sky and Formula One over how the deal came about.

In a letter seen by the Guardian and sent to Foster earlier this week, Whittingdale said: "The committee has received a large number of emails and letters on the subject.

"The new licensing agreement for Formula One coverage is a commercial decision for the BBC and Formula One Management. However, the committee will be holding its annual evidence session with the chairman of the BBC Trust and the director general of the BBC in December.

"It is highly likely that members will wish to explore at that meeting some of the concerns that have been expressed over Formula One."

The BBC said that the decision over who broadcasts the sport is down to Formula One Management (Fom).

A BBC spokeswoman said: "On this occasion, Fom decided that a broadcast partnership between BBC and Sky was in the best interest of the sport."

The seven-year deal to share coverage of the races comes into force from the 2012 Formula One season.
    Other teams may be fast, but the poetry, the romance, of F1 Racing belongs to Ferrari
    I'm so proud to drive for this team." - Felipe Massa Brazil '08
    I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance - Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    BBC's Mark Thompson to face MPs on F1 deal with BSkyB
    Josh Halliday
    guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 26 October 2011 17.09 BST

Mark Thompson, the BBC director general, is to face questions from MPs about the corporation's handling of its Formula One TV rights deal with BSkyB.

The Commons culture, media and sport select committee will question Thompson and the BBC Trust chairman, Lord Patten, about the deal when they appear before MPs to discuss BBC governance in December.

John Whittingdale, the Conservative MP and chairman of the committee, said in a letter to the Lib Dem culture spokesman, Don Foster, that a large number of people had expressed concerns about the deal, which will result in live coverage of half the Formula One grands prix away from free-to-air TV for the first time.

Sky will broadcast all the Formula One grands prix and practice sessions live from next season, with the BBC broadcasting half of the races, as part of the deal announced in July. Live TV coverage of Formula One reverted to the BBC in 2009 after 13 years on ITV.

Foster raised fears in September that no one was speaking on behalf of Formula One viewers and that there were "glaring problems" with accounts given by the BBC, Sky and Formula One over how the deal came about.

In a letter seen by the Guardian and sent to Foster earlier this week, Whittingdale said: "The committee has received a large number of emails and letters on the subject.

"The new licensing agreement for Formula One coverage is a commercial decision for the BBC and Formula One Management. However, the committee will be holding its annual evidence session with the chairman of the BBC Trust and the director general of the BBC in December.

"It is highly likely that members will wish to explore at that meeting some of the concerns that have been expressed over Formula One."

The BBC said that the decision over who broadcasts the sport is down to Formula One Management (Fom).

A BBC spokeswoman said: "On this occasion, Fom decided that a broadcast partnership between BBC and Sky was in the best interest of Bernie Ecclestone."

The seven-year deal to share coverage of the races comes into force from the 2012 Formula One season.
    Trying to be less angry..

@267.Thanks, Jonny. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is and we still have until December to step up the pressure on our local UK MPs.

"In particular, did the way the BBC do a deal with BSkyB prevent other free-to-air broadcasters (ITV, C4 and C5) bidding?" (@266) seems to me to be the most important point.
    If the FOM is held entirely responsible there's no way back - just bad feeling, nothing new there.
    If the BBC , which receives our licence fees, is deemed to have betrayed its fee payers in this deal then , perhaps, a very tiny perhaps, there could at least be some adjustment to its coverage of races during 2012 during which time another deal can be done, acknowledging the 'free to air' broadcasting trust that was held between F1 and its fans everywhere.

I wonder if anyone can over turn the new arrangements at this stage ??.

Personally I pray they can.
    Its all in the name - FERRARI