Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

Ben Edwards rumoured to be with DC at the BBC.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Ben Edwards rumoured to be with DC at the BBC.
    Confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Confirmed.
    Well, but BBC itself hasn't yet announced it...

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by ek583 View Post
    No but a friend of mine had lunch with Ben and he told him then. Good enough for me. :)

Also written on the Telegraph, GPUpdate and various other places so it's definitely true.

Jake has confirmed now too

Does anyone know if Ben Edwards is any good at commentary?

Yeah he is good
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Lorca View Post
    Does anyone know if Ben Edwards is any good at commentary?
    Yeah, he does the BTCC commentary

BBC have slightly redeemed themselves by not hiring Legard again but still there coverage is like ordering a pint and getting half a glass of froth.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

Ben Edwards is good IMO and not quite as smiley/pally/jolly as Mr Croft - but its all a matter of taste at the end of the day Crofty is a good man

As long as the Alan Partridge of motorsports commentating (Mr Legard) isn't allowed back i'm sure it will be fine.

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Ben Edwards is good IMO and not quite as smiley/pally/jolly as Mr Croft - but its all a matter of taste at the end of the day Crofty is a good man

As long as the Alan Partridge of motorsports commentating (Mr Legard) isn't allowed back i'm sure it will be fine.
    I think they should get the actual Alan Partridge.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Spirit View Post
    Dear me, England is really an island....

Here in Switzerland, as in most European coutries, you can get three Swiss channels (french, german, italian speaking), one French, one German, one Italian, one Austrian, one Dutch, one Belgian, one Spanish and one Portuguese which show F1 live on friday, saturday and sunday. And, oh yes, BBC. And we certainly will have Sky the way we had ITV.

All included in the 35 swiss francs per months payed for the cable TV that offers 112 european channels, and for an additional 15 swiss francs you can add plenty more channels some of which probably also offer F1. Never bothered to check.

Of course you need to speak, or at least understand, some languages. So what?

Move over here, amigos...
    :xmaseek: That is amazing. So many for so little. And Switzerland is fun and beautiful too. I'll think about it
    http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3536_1.gif

Need to bear that in mind if Sky dumps us here in Germany........can't face the thought of having to watch the goons on RTL not to mention their awful ads....
    Keep Racing!
    www.fofassociation.com

So, will I be able to watch all races on the iPlayer?

Quote Originally Posted by 996 GT1 Lover View Post
    So, will I be able to watch all races on the iPlayer?
    Yes and no, you can watch half the races in full that the BBC show on tv on iplayer but the rest will only be highlights and not the full coverage just like on the tv.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

just got the sky hd back today..... €7 a month if we kept our tv pack..... could't say no... looking forward to watching f1 in hd.... happy christmas to all and looking forward to a field crushing ferrari come march.....:xmasbiggrin:
    "That has made me fall in love with Ferrari even more today than ever." Fernando Alonso

New information about the Sky deal.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/downloads...oposal_(1).pdf

confirmed for Virgin media if you have the full Sky sports package: http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/S...s-F1-2328.aspx

If you don't already have those channels it works out at this extra a month, depending on your tv package:

With TV size: M+, L or XL:
    £22.50 a month

With TV size: M:
    £28.00 a month
    Last edited by Sianellen; 16th January 2012 at 10:46.

Steve Rider urges BBC to show other motorsport as its Formula 1 coverage reduces
    By Jamie O'Leary Sunday, January 15th 2012, 13:39 GMT

Steve Rider has called on the BBC to broadcast more top-level motorsport in a bid to boost its diminished coverage of Formula 1 this year.

Rider, who has fronted F1 broadcasts for both the BBC and ITV in the past, will form part of Sky's line-up when its contract to broadcast all grands prix live in the UK commences this year.

He believes that it is time for the BBC to support top domestic and international championships, such as world rallying and British Formula 3, to make up for losing its deal to show full live coverage of the F1 season to Sky this year.

"The BBC had a great structure for showing motorsport in the 1980s, back when I started to get really heavily involved," said Rider on the main stage at AUTOSPORT International, "and right through to the 1990s it had a great portfolio.

"In that time we had British Touring Cars, British rallying, the World Rally Championship, Formula 3, all supporting the F1 coverage as that was the pinnacle.

"I remember when BBC lost F1 to ITV at the end of 1996. Myself and Mark Wilkin, who was the brilliant producer of the F1, tried to convince them to make a strong commitment to sportscars, touring cars, rallying... But their opinion was 'We're out of F1, we have no enthusiasm for other motorsport'. There's now a chance to do what they didn't do then and replace the gap left by F1.

"People talk about the damage done by the current BBC/Sky situation, but to me the real damage is being done by keeping British motorsport off domestic television. You have BTCC on ITV and that's fantastic. But there needs to be more.

"Through the BBC showing F3 in the 1980s, viewers saw Ayrton Senna for the first time; Damon Hill, David Coulthard, Mika Hakkinen... I'd love to see them making that commitment again. The WRC, British rallying, F3 all are desperate for terrestrial coverage."

Rider also believes that the BBC's scaling back of its F1 programme - only 10 of this year's races will be screened live with a full highlights package shown from the other events - will lead to an eventual complete pull-out in the not too distant future.

"I think an irrevocable step has been taken. I'm not a cheerleader for Sky. Their involvement in F1 was inevitable. I think their long-term domination of F1 is also inevitable, whether it's four or five years away.

"For reasons that haven't been fully explained by the BBC, and that probably didn't need to happen, we now have this halfway deal in which Sky have been given the opportunity to dominate the sport.

"BBC have been given a chance to take a step backward, and another and another and another and eventually they'll disappear from the sport entirely. That's the situation we're in now."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97032
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    confirmed for Virgin media if you have the full Sky sports package: http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/S...s-F1-2328.aspx

If you don't already have those channels it works out at this extra a month, depending on your tv package:

With TV size: M+, L or XL:
    £22.50 a month

With TV size: M:
    £28.00 a month
    Virgin Media has also confirmed that the F1 channel is only available as part of the Sky Sports package, not as a standalone channel unfortunately.

The future is RED

*Sigh*

I still can't believe they've done this. I'm going to have to get up every Sunday morning to watch an online stream instead, haha.

Great news i have virgin media i will be able to watch every race live and not have to pay any more money.

Quote Originally Posted by 996 GT1 Lover View Post
    *Sigh*

I still can't believe they've done this. I'm going to have to get up every Sunday morning to watch an online stream instead, haha.
    been doing that for last 2 years
    not gonna change my profile picture

Virgin Media has also confirmed that the F1 channel is only available as part of the Sky Sports package, not as a standalone channel unfortunately.
    How disappointing.... I certainly won't be shelling out extra for the entire sports package, guess I need to start sweet talking my boyfriend to let me have details of his Sky account so i can watch through xbox.

Not sure about this, so don't take my word for it, but...

Sky's 'Sky Go' service is £9.99 per month, no box or dish or full subscription required. It allows you to watch the Sports channels on your computer, iPhone, iPad and I think Android devices too. I assume the F1HD channel will be included in this as well.

Can't see Sky go for that price that includes sports
    Forza Ferrari

This is what I had seen before

How can I watch Sky Sports on my mobile?

If you don't have a Sky TV subscription you can subscribe to Sky Sports TV for £9.99/€10.99 a month and download the app from the iTunes app store. You'll have access to all 5 Sky Sports channels, Sky Sports News, ESPN and At the Races on your iPhone/iPod touch.
    Sky TV customers can watch the same great line up of Sports channels on their iPhone or iPad for FREE depending on your Sky TV subscription with the Sky Go app.

that ain't sky go then
    Forza Ferrari

All resolved now.

It is available through the Sky Go app, however it is still extremely expensive.

But it is available only on mobile through the 'Sky Sports TV' app.

Download the app and then sign in, click a channel and it asks you to buy a £9.99pm subscription. The guy I chatted to says the F1 channel will be available in March.

There is no iPad app (he said he isn't sure if it's planned) but of course the iPhone app is available on iPad anyway. I think there is the same app for Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    All resolved now.

It is available through the Sky Go app, however it is still extremely expensive.

But it is available only on mobile through the 'Sky Sports TV' app.

Download the app and then sign in, click a channel and it asks you to buy a £9.99pm subscription. The guy I chatted to says the F1 channel will be available in March.

There is no iPad app (he said he isn't sure if it's planned) but of course the iPhone app is available on iPad anyway. I think there is the same app for Android.

Slightly confused, is this like a seperate thing to the tv packages and for mobile or is it something where you already have to be a Sky customer?