Page 1 of 27 12345678910111213141526 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

Sky and BBC F1 coverage

The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in high definition.

The BBC will have highlights on TV and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/9550930.stm
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

So much for it staying on free to air channels!
    Murray - "...and there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!"

James - "Well, that should put them out then"

What is the point in only showing half of races live on the BBC?

Basically the decision forces people to have to go and buy SKY if they want to follow all the qualy and races live. Otherwise it seems you have to wait for the highlights.

Not amused - only time my TV goes on is for the F1 - what am I paying my tv license for?

So when does this stupid half-half season start with half the races on BBC and half the races on sky, is it next year or 2013?

As I read it - from next season
    Murray - "...and there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!"

Half means from 0:00 until the race leader reaches the halfway mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Domenicali View Post

Not amused - only time my TV goes on is for the F1 - what am I paying my tv license for?
    How much do you have to pay for license? I guess Sky sports are pay tv and have to pay separately?

Im planning go to UK some time next year, but now I have to wonder how to get F1 on my future tv.
    Meanwhile, it either says something or just nothing that Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen have reputedly spared a F1 podium on five occasions and Fernando has stood on the top step on every occasion. He's F1's first among equals. (PG)

Now we all have to pay £50pm to watch it. Utterly shocking.

They haven't mentioned anything about uninterrupted coverage- back to the commercial break scenario no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony79 View Post
    They haven't mentioned anything about uninterrupted coverage- back to the commercial break scenario no doubt!
    They don't do it during a football match, only in coverage. Probably like that.

I hope there's NO commercials during the race!

This at the same time as the far reaching phone tapping scandal where both Murdoch's etal seem absolutely complicit. Absolute farce. The BBC really are becoming a toothless force what with TV centre moving out of Wood Lane and relocating in Salford. What a joke they've become. Gutted to say the least, as I really believe this is retrgrade step wrt promotion of the sport
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

Quote Originally Posted by Fiondella View Post
    This at the same time as the far reaching phone tapping scandal where both Murdoch's etal seem absolutely complicit. Absolute farce. The BBC really are becoming a toothless force what with TV centre moving out of Wood Lane and relocating in Salford. What a joke they've become. Gutted to say the least, as I really believe this is retrgrade step wrt promotion of the sport
    Agreed. What about F1 fans who can't not watch it but can't afford between £32 & £47pm (HD or Non HD)?

That's a LOT of money.

Im glad we still get all of the GP for free overhere in the Netherlands,but with commercial brakes during the race, but i can always switch over to the belgian tv, they broadcast the whole race without interruptions.
    I really like to watch the BBC during a GP weekend (dont we all love the comments from our bearded friend Eddie ) but if things are really gonna change like this im switching over to dutch/belgian telly....

Looks like I will be in the local pub on a sunday afternoon now, Not good, Not amused,

Im sure if enough people kick up a stink then BBC will have to go back to showing it,

Racing is life and life is a risk - Michael schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Neither do itv during the football but we all remember what happened there! Hope you're right mate but this is Sky mate... When they first introduced subscription in the early 90's, one of their selling points was that because you were paying extra they wouldnt need to run commercials.

I've no doubt they'll do a great show - fingers crossed that they keep the race free of interruption!

Sky say no adverts. :)

Angry but not unduly surprised. Will be interested to know what the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM Sky package will be just to see F1..
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Angry but not unduly surprised. Will be interested to know what the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM Sky package will be just to see F1..
    £32 per month. That's without HD.

Jeez! What else do you get in that?
    Trying to be less angry..

There is absolutely no point in showing only half the races, might as well not bother and save the money.
    So much for free-to air coverage going to cost me an extra 30 quid a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    No, only 1 when the team runs on the pitch, 3 during the 15 min break and then again as the team runs off the pitch.
    I'm sure there will be ad-breaks during coverage again. Remember ITV never puts breaks during the football game either, but still managed to cram the F1 coverage full of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Jeez! What else do you get in that?
    A box, dish and a variety pack.

For £47, you get HD and all channels apart from Movies & the second sports pack.

BBC is starting to S**K-Bottom big time!!! They should stop paying their pundits as much and broadcast what matters. e.g Clarkson £8m a year for top gear= come on...

"I cannot judge what he did in his time at Renault and McLaren but I have worked with World Champions Schumacher, Villeneuve and Raikkonen and Fernando is the one who impresses me the most," said Gene.

Bernie should have paid the BBC for it. He wouldn't have missed £150m.

Just watch online.

Although i am not in UK anymore I think this is pathetic.

Why did the BBC take on the F1 coverage at the first place if they couldn't afford it.

Naturally less and less people will follow the F1 as a result because not everyone can afford SKY subscription fees.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how many people the BBC take to every race (for the radio, TV and internet coverage). I am pretty sure it is double if not treble what ITV used to take.

All in all a total let down for all the UK F1 followers.
    "I really don't know what happened" - Lewis Hamilton (frequently)

At home we have Virgin media so I may be able to watch it on pay per view when I am there because my family will probably want to see it as well (depends if they can afford it though), but when I go back to University there is just no way I will be able to watch them live on Sky. Simply I cannot afford it. I will keep up to date with the highlights and watch the races the BBC can show, but I'm gutted really.

I'm definitely not paying for Sky to watch F1, so they will lose a few fans here (for half the season at least). But apparently Whitmarsh said moves to take F1 off free-to-air could be viewed as a breach of the Concorde Agreement? Could someone confirm it please?
    FORZA FERRARI

I'm with Virgin and it'll cost me £22.50 to add all the Sky sports channels or £29.50 if I want HD.
    I'm sure Sky will continue with its policy to spread its coverage over both Sky Sports 1 and 2, forcing you to subscribe to both both.

cool! i already have Sky HD, doubt i'll be watching it tho since the swedish coverage is excellent as it is (since it went from free tv to pay, like it or not) ;)
    Forza Melanie C!