Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

Yeah I think overall it's not too bad a deal, given what we were expecting.

Thankfully I have Sky Sports as a bolt-on with my Virgin Media package, so I'll get it free. Although I won't get it in HD unless I subscribe to Sky Sports HD (which annoyingly is a separate subscription to standard Virgin HD package, which is free).

The future is RED

After having HD on BBC I don't think I can go back to SD
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    After having HD on BBC I don't think I can go back to SD
    I know, I have been spoilt too!

Think I'll have to fork out the extra £7 a month to add the Sky Sports HD channels to my package.

The future is RED

From Sky Sports F1

It is not yet known whether the new channel will be available on Virgin Media. We will advise when we can.
    Sorry, the channel will not be coming to Freesat or Freeview

Looks awesome! :D can't wait! :D

But... I wanted it in 3D as well :(

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    From Sky Sports F1
    I bloomin' hope it's on Virgin Media, otherwise I'm screwed!

The future is RED

Those are good deals compared to what I pay COMCAST here on the US East Coast.
    Basic HD, Sports Pack (to get Speed-watch NO other sports), One HD/DVR converter
    comes out to $150+.

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    Basic HD, Sports Pack (to get Speed-watch NO other sports), One HD/DVR converter
    comes out to $150+.
    Wow, really? That's expensive.

That'll be equivalent to... what, £85 may be, give or take?

For that amount, I'm getting a full tv package, including all tv channels (apart from Sky Movies), all HD channels and all sports channels (apart from the Sky Sports HD channels, which I get in SD), as well as a 30meg cable broadband and a basic phone line. Oh, and two set top boxes for tv.

We definitely have it better here then!

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by Liscia View Post
    comes out to $150+.
    Yea, that's the join fee though? i.e. You're paying for the box in that $150? Not $150 per month. We can pay a bit more for a better box (1TB storage).

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Yea, that's the join fee though? i.e. You're paying for the box in that $150? Not $150 per month. We can pay a bit more for a better box (1TB storage).
    That would make more sense.

The future is RED

Now I have to brace myself to phone Sky and try and cancel my sports, which is a major drama with them, no doubt I will get Steve who speaks no English and with me being Scottish it's even worse......no offence to anyone intended other than Sky and their call centres
    Forza Ferrari

Now I have to brace myself to phone Sky and try and cancel my sports, which is a major drama with them, no doubt I will get Steve who speaks no English and with me being Scottish it's even worse......no offence to anyone intended other than Sky and their call centres
    I know exactly what you mean.

The future is RED

Just had a tweet from Virgin Media saying they are still in talks with Sky regarding the F1 channel, too early to say anything.

I hope they work out a deal, otherwise I'll be screwed!

The future is RED

Correction: My monthly bill total is $178.94 but Internet charge is $52.95 which I forgot to mention!
    HD DVR is $15.95 monthly and total for TV charges only is $116.60 with taxes/fees at $9.39. Still quite
    a bit more than Ste quotes.

I'm slightly confused. Can you get the F1 channel seperate or do you have to have Sky Sports 1 and 2?

Yes, just get the HD pack. You don't need Sports.

So it's the basic + HD = £30.25. That's the cheapest. If you want basic extra then it's £35.25.

I think it will be very unlikely that I will be able to see it. £30.25 a month is way too much for me to pay and we already have Virgin at home so we obviously wouldn't get Sky as well. If they allow just the F1 channel to be on Virgin for a reasonable price then I might be able to get my parents to consider it. I think I will probably be watching the BBC highlights for most of next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    I think it will be very unlikely that I will be able to see it. £30.25 a month is way too much for me to pay and we already have Virgin at home so we obviously wouldn't get Sky as well. If they allow just the F1 channel to be on Virgin for a reasonable price then I might be able to get my parents to consider it. I think I will probably be watching the BBC highlights for most of next year.
    I'm still waiting to hear what Virgin has to say as well. My contract with them runs through most of next year, so I have no choice but to stick with them. So even though I'm already paying all this money to Virgin for Sky Sports and everything, I'll have no choice if they don't get the F1 channel.

But I'm hoping they'll work out a deal with Sky.

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    Yeah that's a lot if you don't already have Sky and with having Virgin you would be paying twice for the same thing really
    Forza Ferrari

So, i have HD already and no sports. Take it a can get the F1 channel for free?

Thats how im reading it, i hope so.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Yeah that's a lot if you don't already have Sky and with having Virgin you would be paying twice for the same thing really
    If it doesn't end up on Virgin, Sky will have cut out a lot of people who may have been willing to pay for their channels on Virgin as add-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Yeah, you will Rob.

I'm on Virgin, and have Sports and HD, so I'm hoping Sky will let Virgin have it as well. Otherwise I have no option even if I want to pay extra.

The future is RED

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Yeah that's how it reads to me
    Forza Ferrari

Yeah that's how it reads to me
    thats a result!! saves forking out for the whole sports package. As nothing else on there i watch. Better ring Steve up and get it added.

I got a call from Sky last week asking, as an existing customer what did I think of Sky ?....well I gave him what-for with regards to the F1 debarcle poor bloke...He did point out though that they have frozen their prices for the packages since last year and 'supposedly' aren't putting them up !!! We'll see
    "I don't want to be treated as special because I'm not. I just drive a racing car round in circles a bit faster than everyone else." Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Julie B View Post
    I got a call from Sky last week asking, as an existing customer what did I think of Sky ?....well I gave him what-for with regards to the F1 debarcle poor bloke...He did point out though that they have frozen their prices for the packages since last year and 'supposedly' aren't putting them up !!! We'll see

Motorsports fans dont currently have to be slaves to Sky sports to get their fix like footy fans and next year will be the same. If they want big take up they need to make it more attractive to people or they will find alternatives.

I suggest they ask the customer to pay whatever they think each race was worth after it's finished. What they have to pay out to customers after Valencia they will more than make up after Spa & Brazil

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Quite looking forward to this now. As long as they have Martin to commentate,it sounds good to me.

Paying £30 pound a month basically 15 pound a race for something I got for free once.. not really looking forward to that MASSIVE ripoff. But could get a HD upgrade on the downstairs "shared" tv but I would want to watch it upstairs without paying another extra 10 pound a month for sky multi-room
    Last edited by TheProdigalSon; 26th November 2011 at 05:05.
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo52ws9xLo1qlt7lao1_500.gif

BBC's 10 live races next season

I will merge all the threads soon

15 April: China
    13 May: Spain
    27 May: Monaco
    24 June: Europe
    8 July: Britain
    2 September: Belgium
    23 September: Singapore
    14 October: Korea
    4 November: Abu Dhabi
    25 November: Brazil

I guess Sky made sure they had quite a poor selection, Zzzzalencia, Singabore and Abu Drabi....even Barcelona is a bit meh

Sky might even only have 8 races...

Sky will be sweating, too, particularly on the outcome of the Bahrain and Austin grands prix, both of which they have exclusively live. One or both of those could be dropped at the WMSC meeting in a couple of weeks.
    The F1 channel sounds good, but for 8 races? should be pay per view, £3/5 a weekend.
    Forza Ferrari