Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky and BBC F1 coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Domenicali View Post
    Pot Kettle indeed Ste
    I'm glad you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sianellen View Post
    no worries I'm just gutted about my situation with it really. My dad wouldn't do it on principle.
    Same with my dad

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    I'm glad you agree.
    I admitted and apologised that my post came across as patronising even if that was not the intention, perhaps sometimes sunshine you need to have a hard long look in the mirror and admit your not Mr.Perfect.

I admitted and apologised that my post came across as patronising even if that was not the intention, perhaps sometimes sunshine you need to have a hard long look in the mirror and admit your not Mr.Perfect.
    Or maybe you could make fewer assumptions? You're either very bad at reading people or you just like to make things up to make your posts sound better. We know the latter is true regardless of whether it's true this this instance.

I don't think I'm perfect by any means, I just have strong opinions. Again, you never replied to my post which answered your original question.

How you became a moderator is beyond me. Your attitude to many users here is shocking.

Right okay can we all please just go outside and get some fresh air or something?

1) Not wanting to get Sky either because of money or because of the money-grabbing, 'phone-hacking Murdochs doesn't make anyone any less of a fan.
    2) With the economy the way it is, lots of folk can't put F1 high up on their list of priorities. Real life is sadly more important than a sport, at the end of the day.
    3) This whole thing SUCKS.
    4) No matter what, I still hate EJ
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Right okay can we all please just go outside and get some fresh air or something?

1) Not wanting to get Sky either because of money or because of the money-grabbing, 'phone-hacking Murdochs doesn't make anyone any less of a fan.
    2) With the economy the way it is, lots of folk can't put F1 high up on their list of priorities. Real life is sadly more important than a sport, at the end of the day.
    3) This whole thing SUCKS.
    4) No matter what, I still hate EJ
    5) Forza Ferrari

Digital coverage of F1 was rubbish when Bernie tried it last time and he lost a tonne of cash in the process. If he's happy to lose lots of viewers of sponsors logos on the cars of the team in his sport then he's made the right decision by allowing coverage in the UK to be marginalised. Doesn't mean that the races covered by Sky will be done well this time either and it doesn't mean that "die hard F1 fans" - as the cliche has it - have to be mugs or nodding dogs.

I already have Sky but they can whistle for £12 a month for the odd race. I personally dont think that makes me a crap F1 supporter. Just one with perspective who has the ability to go to a pub with Sky sports if the inclination takes me and also the ability to not be forced into a crap deal so that people wont think im not a "die-hard F1 fan" by doing anything they say I have to to follow my favourite sport.

The Beeb finally got it right and F1 is more popular in Britain than it has been for years yet bernie is happy to lose a substantial part of that audience? It doesn't make much sense really does it?

"Luna faccia schiaffo testa"

Or maybe you could make fewer assumptions? You're either very bad at reading people or you just like to make things up to make your posts sound better. We know the latter is true regardless of whether it's true this this instance.

I don't think I'm perfect by any means, I just have strong opinions. Again, you never replied to my post which answered your original question.

How you became a moderator is beyond me. Your attitude to many users here is shocking.
    I am quite happy for Greig to remove me as a moderator, if he thinks its in the best interests of the forum. Would you like my moderators job perchance?

It's just really sad. We all like laughing at, and moaning about the same coverage, and I'm going to miss that if everyone is watching different coverage
    Forza Jules

I am quite happy for Greig to remove me as a moderator, if he thinks its in the best interests of the forum. Would you like my moderators job perchance?
    No thanks.

It's just really sad. We all like laughing at, and moaning about the same coverage, and I'm going to miss that if everyone is watching different coverage
    What I hate the most is its one of those things that just makes life feel a little less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    The Beeb finally got it right and F1 is more popular in Britain than it has been for years yet bernie is happy to lose a substantial part of that audience? It doesn't make much sense really does it?
    I personally feel that if Bernie was a serious as he made out about wanting to keep F1 on free tv,he should have made a contribution to helping the BBC pay for it once he'd explored other avenues (channel 4,5 etc.) and found they were a no go.

It's not the BBC's fault they cannot afford the price but I dont feel part coverage is an acceptable compromise,whilst Bernie seems to think it is!

Digital coverage of F1 was rubbish when Bernie tried it last time and he lost a tonne of cash in the process. If he's happy to lose lots of viewers of sponsors logos on the cars of the team in his sport then he's made the right decision by allowing coverage in the UK to be marginalised. Doesn't mean that the races covered by Sky will be done well this time either and it doesn't mean that "die hard F1 fans" - as the cliche has it - have to be mugs or nodding dogs.
    Don't agree with that, last time Sky had F1 it was years ahead of what ITV was offering, with live practice included as well as ad free races and a much better presentation and race build up as well as plenty of viewing options such as choose your in-car camera etc, yeah they lost a lot of money because they never got the viewers but they certainly were not lacking in what they offered IMO.

I can imagine Sky will deliver a very good F1 package this time around as well, but the viewers once again will probably not be there.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Alonso View Post
    I personally feel that if Bernie was a serious as he made out about wanting to keep F1 on free tv,he should have made a contribution to helping the BBC pay for it once he'd explored other avenues (channel 4,5 etc.) and found they were a no go.

It's not the BBC's fault they cannot afford the price but I dont feel part coverage is an acceptable compromise,whilst Bernie seems to think it is!
    Yeah. Bernie could make it happen if he wanted to. i really don't understand him sometimes.

As regards part coverage, it will lose them more viewers imo than if it were on channel 4 or whatever. Its messy and people wont pay. simple. Bernie knows that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Don't agree with that, last time Sky had F1 it was years ahead of what ITV was offering, with live practice included as well as ad free races and a much better presentation and race build up as well as plenty of viewing options such as choose your in-car camera etc, yeah they lost a lot of money because they never got the viewers but they certainly were not lacking in what they offered IMO.

I can imagine Sky will deliver a very good F1 package this time around as well, but the viewers once again will probably not be there.
    Couldnt afford it then. I was only 16! lol

Maybe im being unfair. I remember it as disappointing and stilted but maybe thats cos i was paying through the nose for it at the time

I liked the guy on the forum who shouted "We don't want Sky!" at Jake today. (This was shortly after EJ was being pervy towards 2 women in the Macca garage).
    Forza Jules

No thanks.
    Come on Ste smile we are both strong minded opinionated people - it is inevitable we will have disagreements at times and I am never wrong (joke). I do sincerely apologise for being patronising in my post earlier - it wasn't intentional I was just very angry (and still am) at the situation F1 fans currently find themselves in. Now it's your turn

Come on Ste smile we are both strong minded opinionated people - it is inevitable we will have disagreements at times and I am never wrong (joke). I do sincerely apologise for being patronising in my post earlier - it wasn't intentional I was just very angry (and still am) at the situation F1 fans currently find themselves in. Now it's your turn
    Sorry I've done enough apologising to you in the past. I've got nothing to apologise for.

Take it up with another moderator if you're bothered.

I do think that sky will do a good job, but I think that the BBC will gradually get less and less coverage, and sky will get the monopoly.

and IMO, the lest the BBC could do is see ou their contract, which they were crowing about all through 2009.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

I don't think it's a case of the BBC wanting to end the contract early. They simply can't afford it anymore. Like everyone keeps saying, times are hard.

I don't think it's a case of the BBC wanting to end the contract early. They simply can't afford it anymore. Like everyone keeps saying, times are hard.
    But then scrap antiques road show and songs of praise.

Racing is life and life is a risk - Michael schumacher

...and talent shows, and Doctor Who/Torchwood which are over-rated rubbish, and dreadful sitcoms like My Family which is the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune to see, and anything with James Corden.
    Forza Jules

...and talent shows, and Doctor Who/Torchwood which are over-rated rubbish, and dreadful sitcoms like My Family which is the worst thing I have ever had the misfortune to see, and anything with James Corden.
    I knew you'd get that in there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by aj17ay View Post
    Bernie Ecclestone says Sky pay-to-view TV deal will grow F1's audience

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has promised that the sport's audience will grow with the onset of Sky's pay-to-view television deal from 2012.

A surprise deal was announced on Friday morning that the BBC and Sky Sports will share coverage of the sport in the UK from 2012 - with the satellite and cable broadcaster showing all live sessions while the BBC transmits only half on terrestrial digital television - prompting a wave of angry responses from license holders on internet forums and Twitter.

But Ecclestone, speaking after leaving a meeting to address the subject with F1's team principals, insisted that the deal is positive for the sport.

"It's good for Formula 1," he said. "For sure there are going to be a lot more people viewing, and a lot more opportunities for people to view, so from that point I'm very happy.

"I've been finalising this all night long and one or two things might change a little."

"Sky will broadcast everything, all the races, live. The Beeb will do 50 per cent live, and when it isn't live, they will be putting together a very good highlights package.

"They [BBC] may yet do the whole race deferred, we have to see."

Asked what he would say to fans who could not afford a Sky subscription, Ecclestone replied: "That's where the problem is, I know, but from what I understand Sky has enormous coverage, 10 million homes.

"For those who can't watch Sky, they can still watch on a Sunday night, which will probably be better than watching the whole race live half the time," he added.

Ecclestone added that the deal was not complicated by issues surrounding the current Concorde Agreement because the covenant comes to an end prior to the beginning of the Sky contract.

"The Concorde finishes in 2012," he said. "After then there may not be one, we don't need one. We'll see.

"But I think this is all positive, and having spoken to the teams, they think it's positive too."

Along with indicating that the deal was likely to mean more income for the teams, Ecclestone spoke about the general onset of pay-per-view television and how the media landscape affected F1 in the future.

"We do have to do the best we can, and I'm interested in getting the maximum coverage because we have to invest in the future for the good of the teams and for Formula 1," he said.

"I think in the end people will be more happy with this than they are at the moment."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93491
    This smacks of the average F1 fan having to pay for the Slavica having taken what amounts to the shirt off Bernie's back.

How he thinks this move will grow the F1 audience is beyond me. IMHO this is definately a retrograde step for F1 popularity especially with children from deprived backgrounds. The timing of this stinks as well in light of the Murdoch scandal
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines - Enzo Ferrari circa 1960

Yep, thats why their taking they're operations to Salford. If they'd asked I could have rented them my shed instead!

Quite a shocker really considering the move from ITV. This is like giving us Magnums instead of choc ices for a while and then telling actually we've just realised that magnums are too expensive and deciding to offer us tesco value ice-cream instead!
    "Okay,...Jean is smarter than you....... can you confirm you understood that message" Bernie on the phone to Max circa 2009

I knew you'd get that in there somewhere!
    I hate him more than I hate EJ. That's a lot.
    Forza Jules

I already have Sky but they can whistle for £12 a month for the odd race. I personally dont think that makes me a crap F1 supporter. Just one with perspective who has the ability to go to a pub with Sky sports if the inclination takes me and also the ability to not be forced into a crap deal so that people wont think im not a "die-hard F1 fan" by doing anything they say I have to to follow my favourite sport.

Great post
    My sentiments entirely

the problem with the pub idea is that BBC will probably not be showing the 5am etc races so not much pubs open at that time on a Sunday morning
    Forza Ferrari

... not much pubs open at that time on a Sunday morning
    Luckily I have a sports bar that's open 24/7 just around the corner (well, almost!!)...
    Still, I'm hoping that between TSN, SPEED-TV and live streaming, I've got the race pretty well covered!