Thread: MotoGP 2012 Season

I desperately want that hat

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Ruled out a severe ankle injury Jorge Lorenzo
    01/07/12 - 18:58.

Jorge Lorenzo came to the hospital Sunday, just landed in Holland, so that you perform a radiograph of the right ankle after the fall in which he was involved in Assen.

The pilot himself ruled out any serious injury in via twitter: "I have sprained ligaments and tibiofibular underlying bone bruise. Be able to run in Germany, but doctors said I was about to suffer a broken bone that would have prevented me run the next two races ... Fortunately! "

The Spaniard again referred to the incident with Alvaro Bautista: "Apology accepted, do not hold grudges. Was a mistake for sure will not try again. As you know hot things are said that we would not say cold and yesterday I spent a bit in my speech . Anyway, I'll put my two cents for MotoGP is becoming safer for the drivers without losing the spectacle for the fans. "

http://www.marca.com/2012/07/01/moto...341161800.html
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    That's my philosophy right there.
    Haha me too
    "It's not about how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you get back up"

RIP Marco Simoncelli and Dan Wheldon

Following the recent news that teammate Ben Spies is set to leave the Yamaha Factory Racing team at the end of the season, Lorenzo said: "It’s sad news to hear that Ben is not continuing. For Yamaha it’s really sad, because he has been a Yamaha rider for a long time. I think he has great potential, and I wish him good luck in the future. Now we have to see what is going to happen with the second rider in Yamaha."

This announcement has naturally sent the rumour mill into overdrive with regards to who his teammate will be next year, to which the Spaniard said: "I hear some rumours. And some rumours say that Valentino is going to come back. It could be a good thing for Yamaha. We have been a good couple in the past years, but it hasn’t been decided yet. My preference is to have a competitive rival in the team."

He is however full focussed on the job ahead and commented that the Laguna Seca track is one he particularly enjoys, as it is so different from anything else the MotoGP grid races at. Lorenzo goes into the race with a 19-point cushion at the top of the championship and has stated that he, the team and bike are in good shape and hope to continue as they are.

As part of the usual USA antics, during which all Yamaha riders film a promotional video for the brand, Lorenzo was this time given the job as Honorary Yamaha CEO – a job he enjoys, as he said he can "do anything." Two years ago he was given the job as janitor, which has this year been passed to Yamaha new-boy Andrea Dovizioso.

DUCATI TEAM TRAVELS TO LAGUNA SECA

The first of two American stops in the 2012 MotoGP Championship will take place on Sunday at California’s spectacular Laguna Seca circuit, a beautiful and challenging track that winds through the hills east of Monterey.

The United States Grand Prix is very special for Nicky Hayden, as it was the site of his first GP victory, in 2005, and of another win the following season while he was on his way to the world title. Valentino Rossi is also fond of the track’s unique atmosphere and old-style layout, which played host to a win for the Italian in 2008, as well as to three additional podium finishes.

The “stars and stripes” round is also important for the company from Borgo Panigale, for whom the United States represents the most important target market, and one that is continuously growing, as Americans have long associated Ducati with quality, technology and exclusivity. As is the case every year, the Ducati Island will serve as a meeting point for the many Ducatisti who will come to support the Ducati Team and its riders over the weekend.

VALENTINO ROSSI, Ducati Team
    “Laguna is a difficult track, with many bumps and a lot of elevation change, but at the same time it’s beautiful and fun, in part because it’s rather old-style. I really like the fans and the general feel. Although my last test at Mugello was ended early, we were able to begin working with some details, and we’ll probably be able to use some of them at Laguna, even if we’re talking about a small percentage of the package that they’re working on at Ducati. Last year we went okay at Laguna, so we’ll see what happens this weekend.”

NICKY HAYDEN, Ducati Team
    “Of course I like Laguna, so I’m excited to go there and see my home crowd and all my friends in the AMA paddock. We’ve been getting a little closer to the front lately, but now is no time to rest. We have to keep working, because now the gains will be more difficult. Laguna is certainly not easy, and I doubt the lap times will be much different with the 1000s than they were with the 800s. I’m not even sure we’ll use sixth gear, and as was the case at the Sachsenring, we’ll probably spend a lot of time working with the wheelie control and just trying to use that power when it’s available. The new tyres should work better at Laguna, especially in the colder mornings and on the right side. My goal is clear: go there, have fun, and try to get the best result of the season.”

VITTORIANO GUARESCHI, Team Manager
    “The next two GPs in the United States are obviously very important for Nicky, and he would like to take advantage of the progress shown in recent weeks in order to do well for his fans. Vale came very close to making the podium at Mugello, but we must manage to give him the opportunity to be more effective in qualifying as well. At Laguna we’ll continue working with the settings that we’ve been perfecting for a few races according to our riders’ respective needs, and we’ll seal the fourth engines for both. Like the third one, already in use, it was made in a way that makes it possible to install new parts that are intended to improve rideability. For this race, we’ll have some of the updates that we tried at the Mugello test, and those will be followed in the next races by subsequent evolutions.”

LAGUNA SECA CIRCUIT RECORDS

Circuit Record: Casey Stoner (Ducati – 2010), 1:21.376 – 159.703 Km/h (99.235 mph)
    Best Pole: Casey Stoner (Ducati – 2008), 1:20.700 – 161.040 Km/h (100.066 mph)
    Circuit Length: 3.610 km
    2012 MotoGP Race: 32 laps (115.520 km, 71.781 mi)
    2012 MotoGP Schedule: 2:00 p.m. local time
    2011 PODIUM: 1st Casey Stoner, 2nd Jorge Lorenzo, 3rd Dani Pedrosa
    2011 POLE: Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha) 1:21.202 – 160.045 Km/h (99.447 mph)

DUCATI TEAM’S BEST RESULTS AT LAGUNA SECA
    2011: 6th (Rossi)
    2010: 2nd (Stoner)
    2009: 4th (Stoner)
    2008: 2nd (Stoner)
    2007: 1st (Stoner)
    2006: 8th (Capirossi)
    2005: 10th (Capirossi)

Really curious about who's going to replace Ben at Yamaha. Surely Vale won't throw in the towel at Ducati?
    Forza Jules

Really curious about who's going to replace Ben at Yamaha. Surely Vale won't throw in the towel at Ducati?
    i would totally understand if he did.

Hayden, who turns 31 on Monday, is currently in his tenth season in the MotoGP series and his fourth with the Ducati Team. During that time, he has become extremely popular with fans and Ducatisti all over the world, thanks to his reliably positive outlook, his passion, and his determination. He currently sits eighth in the championship points standings and is working hard on the development of the Desmosedici GP12, employing his typical effort and enthusiasm.

The United States hosts no fewer than 45 DOCs (Ducati Owners Clubs) and tomorrow thousands of fans will have the opportunity to meet Nicky at Ducati Island, an area at Laguna Seca where Ducatisti gather to follow the race and experience the "red passion." Following the afternoon qualifying session, Nicky himself will visit the Island’s stage, where many spectators and fans will no doubt be excited to join him in celebrating the news of his renewal with the Ducati Team.

Nicky Hayden, Ducati Team
    "I’m very happy that I’ll be back with Ducati and back in MotoGP, racing at the highest level for a very important team. I love the guys I work with, I love the Ducati fans, and I love the brand. This is an important time for Ducati in a number of ways, and I’m excited that I’ll continue to be a part of it. I feel like I’ve got some unfinished business here, and hopefully we can get all the pieces into place and reap the rewards of the hard work we’ve put in the last couple of years. It’s nice to be able to make this announcement at Laguna and to share the moment with my fans, friends and family. If I can do a good result on Sunday, it could make for a pretty special birthday weekend."

Press release courtesy of Ducati Team.

Pedrosa, who lined up with an updated chassis and engine was one of the pace setters throughout the session, setting a time of 1.21’424 towards the end. This was sufficient to displace current championship leader, Yamaha Factory Racing’s Lorenzo, who was less than a tenth behind his compatriot. Pedrosa’s teammate Stoner, who is only using the new engine in the older chassis, had been fastest out of the blocks, but ended the session over four tenths off the top.

Fourth place went to Lorenzo’s teammate and local rider Ben Spies, who this week announced he will be leaving Yamaha at the end of the season. He looked in good spirits however as he lapped just over a tenth slower than the Australian world champion, ahead of Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Andrea Dovizioso, who will be looking for his fifth podium finish this season. He will once again face a stiff challenge from his teammate Cal Crutchlow, who ended the session in sixth.

Seventh place went to Ducati Team’s Valentino Rossi, over 1.7s off the front, with LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl in tow. Both were just marginally faster than Rossi’s teammate and local favourite Nicky Hayden, who just before the session announced he had singed a one-year extension with the Italian outfit. San Carlo Honda Gresini’s Álvaro Bautista rounded out the top ten, whilst NGM Mobile Forward Racing’s Colin Edwards came in top CRT with his Suter-BMW in 11th.

The MotoGP grid also welcomed back Cardion AB Racing’s Karel Abraham from injury, with the Czech rider posting the 13th quickest time of the session. Pramac Racing Team’s Héctor Barberá is a notable absentee this weekend after breaking his left leg in a motocross accident last weekend. He is replaced by Toni Elías, who was 15th in his first premier-class outing since last season. The line up also saw Attack Performance wildcard Steve Rapp take to the track on the US company’s in-house built APR CRT machine. He finished his first outing in 22nd.

I'm happy Nicky's staying at Ducati He seems to get his head down and get on with it, never complaining.
    Forza Jules

Reports in the Italian media suggest that Rossi has signed with Yamaha--2 years. Official announcement soon.

FWIW

Interista

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Yeah, 15th August has been mentioned.
    Also rumoured is that Dovi might take the Ducati seat.
    Forza Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Reports in the Italian media suggest that Rossi has signed with Yamaha--2 years. Official announcement soon.

FWIW

Interista
    di sicuro amico mio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    di sicuro amico mio.
    Si. Reported in the Gazzetta (IIRC)

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Really? I think he good rider, and hope he could ride that bike alot better than VR. If he does, good luck.

Cannt wait till the 15th

Excellent!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Really? I think he good rider, and hope he could ride that bike alot better than VR. If he does, good luck.
    Yeah, not sure if it's true though - before Mugello all the rumours pointed to Cal getting the Duke ride!
    Forza Jules

Eight races left in MotoGP™: Casey Stoner in the record books

Thursday, 9 August 2012

With Repsol Honda Team’s Casey Stoner announcing his retirement at the end of 2012 earlier this season, motogp.com takes a look at the records the current world champion holds as he joins a small list of riders that left the sport at a young age.
    He has already amassed a big list of achievements in his relatively short career, as outlined below. With eight races left in his professional career, and a possible eight victories to take, he may not be able to break any more outright records, but can propel himself up the rankings quite significantly. After Laguna Seca, Stoner now has a total of 44 victories in Grand Prix racing, of which 37 have been in the premier class. If he was to take eight victories before the end of the season he could equal Phil Read with 52 and be sixth in the all-time GP victories ranking. This statistic could read even better in terms of premier-class standings as he could sit fourth with 45 behind Mick Doohan, who recorded a total of 54. Below is a list of what the young

Australian has already achieved:

Stoner’s records that can’t be broken:

2007/Catalunya/Barcelona: With a win in Catalunya, Stoner becomes the first rider to win four times in one season on a Ducati.

2007/USA/Laguna Seca: Wins from pole and tops all four practice sessions to become the first non-American rider to win at Laguna Seca in the MotoGP era.

2007/Japan/Motegi: Stoner becomes the first rider to win the MotoGP title on a Ducati.

2008/Qatar/Losail: Wins the first ever MotoGP race to take place at night under floodlights.

2009/Italy/Mugello: Gives Ducati their first ever premier-class win at the Italian Grand Prix.

2010/Spain/Aragón: Wins the first MotoGP race to be held at the new Aragón circuit.

2011/USA/Laguna Seca: Wins for the 5th time in 2011 – the highest number of wins by a Honda rider during the 800cc era of MotoGP. He went on to record 10 victories in total that season.

Stoner’s records that can be broken:

2006/Turkey/Istanbul: Finishes on the podium in his third MotoGP start to become the youngest Australian rider to finish on the podium in the premier-class.

2007/Qatar/Losail: Wins in his first race for Ducati to become the youngest Australian to win in the premier-class and also the first Australian rider to win in 125cc, 250cc and premier-class.

2008/San Marino/Misano: Qualifies on pole for the seventh successive race – the longest sequence of successive poles in the MotoGP era to date.

2011/Japan/Motegi: Starts on pole for the tenth time in 2011 – a new record for most pole positions in a season during the MotoGP era.

Stoner’s near-record performances:

2006/Qatar/Losail: Qualifies on pole in just his second start in MotoGP to become the second youngest rider of all-time to start from pole in the premier-class; the only rider to start from pole at a younger age is Freddie Spencer.

2007/San Marino/Misano: Wins three successive races for the first time and is the first to do so on a European manufactured bike [Ducati] since Giacomo Agostini in 1972.

Others riders that retired young:

Stoner, who will be 27 years old when he leaves MotoGP after the Valencia round in November, may be considered one of the youngest successful riders to retire. This is certainly true for the modern-day era, however there were some other prominent names that had similar ideas a long time ago.

Gary Hocking: Won the 500cc & 350cc titles in 1961 and then retired after the Isle of Man TT in 1962 after his good friend Tom Phillis was killed. Hocking was just 24 when he retired.

John Surtees: He had seven world titles to his name when he retired at the end of 1960 (4 x 500cc + 3 x 350cc). He was just 26 when he retired. He went on to become the first person to win both the 500cc world title and the F1 car racing title.

Mike Hailwood: Had nine titles to his name when he retired at the end of 1967, including 4 x 500cc titles. He was 27 when he retired.

Valentino Rossi denies he has decided to leave Ducati

By Michele Lostia and Sam Tremayne Wednesday, August 1st 2012, 15:54 GMT (bit old, but..)

Valentino Rossi denies he has decided to call time on his Ducati career, saying the lure of winning on three different manufacturers still appeals to him.

The Italian has become the central figure in the 2012 silly season, with offers from both the works Ducati and Yamaha squads.

Despite his admission at Laguna Seca that he was struggling for motivation with the Desmosedici, he said that he is still yet to make a decision - insisting that competitive machinery, rather than money, will be the key factor in his decision.

Asked whether his spell at Ducati depended upon an improved contract, Rossi was quoted as saying: "Actually Ducati has made me a lower offer compared to the past. But this is not the important thing: with Ducati I'd get more money than with Yamaha anyway, so if money was important I would have already made my choice.

"[What counts is] to get back to winning ways. There are two ways to get there: to pick an already competitive bike, or to take a fascinating long-term gamble in trying to sort out this bike with Audi's help.

"It's a stab in the dark, however: the problems are the same as always and we haven't managed to solve them in all this time. It's frustrating.

"On the other hand there is the beauty of trying to win with three different manufacturers, something never achieved by anyone."

Rossi admitted that he has proved unable to make a significant difference on board the Ducati, but said he still felt deserving of a competitive machine.

"The situation has changed, you can't make a big difference in bikes anymore. And, specifically, I haven't managed to," he confessed.

In response to Jorge Lorenzo's comments that he deserved a competitive bike, Rossi added: "Jorge is among the few who have always shown respect towards me and I thank him for that. He is right: I, too, think I deserve a competitive bike."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101683

Valentino Rossi returns to Yamaha for 2013 MotoGP season

By Pablo Elizalde Friday, August 10th 2012, 08:01 GMT

Valentino Rossi will return to Yamaha in 2013 after leaving Ducati at the end of the current season, the Japanese manufacturer confirmed on Friday.

Ducati announced this morning that Rossi was leaving the team following a disappointing two-year spell at the Italian squad, where the Italian rider struggled to be competitive, managing just two podiums and no victories so far.

Rossi enjoyed a very successful time at Yamaha, which he joined from Honda at the start of the 2004 season.

With the Japanese squad, the nine-time world champion took the titles in 2004, 2005, 2008 and 2009 and scored 46 victories before leaving for Ducati at the end of 2010.

Rossi will rejoin Yamaha alongside Spaniard Jorge Lorenzo, who was his team-mate at the team before he decided to leave for Ducati.

The Italian rider has signed a two-year deal with Yamaha.

"This announcement is once again excellent news for Yamaha," said Yamaha's Lin Jarvis. "In June we were able to sign Jorge Lorenzo for the 2013-14 campaign and now we are able to confirm Valentino Rossi for the next two years.

"In doing so we have been able to put together the strongest possible team to challenge for victories and to promote the Yamaha brand.

"The target for the future is obvious and we will do our utmost to achieve our goals.

"I have no doubt that with the experience, knowledge, skills and speed of these two great champion riders we will be able to challenge for many race wins and for the 2013 & 2014 World Championship titles."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101761

A few minutes ago, Ducati has announced his separation from Valentino Rossi at the end of the season. If the future of the Doctor seems now definitely branded Yamaha , with lots of formalization on paper waiting for moments, it was not until the weekend to Indianapolis to see who will rise on the Desmosedici vacated by the Pesaro. name in pole position but it is undoubtedly to Andrea Dovizioso: according to reports in the Gazzetta dello Sport , the Italian rider, who is making the protagonist of a great season aboard the satellite Yamaha Tech 3 Team , has already received an offer two years and the signature should arrive within the next weekend. Before accepting the proposal of Borgo Panigale, "Dovipower" but wants to be certain that the arrival of ' Audi ports really a turning point and that you avoid repeating the mistakes made ​​over the last two years. With the departure also Jeremy Burgess and associates with Valentino, he then proceeds to deal rumor in the box on the possible return of the Red Gabarrini Cristian and the boys who followed Casey Stoner in his adventure in Honda . Moreover, with the Australian, who will hang up his helmet at the end of year, start new era with Ducati rider Dovizioso can be a good prospect for them. But be careful because the surprises may not be finished here and at the expense would still be Team Tech 3 . Over the past two days in the corridors of Borgo Panigale has returned to speak with a certain insistence Cal Crutchlow , pilot enjoyed for quite some time. In theory, however, the regulation does not allow a solution similar to that adopted by the HRC in 2011, when he deployed three motorcycle officers. Here, therefore, that the British would go to support Andrea Iannone in the junior team, with the promise of having a GP13 (if you call the bike the next year) identical to those officers. If Cal were to withdraw, would return emergence of the name of Scott Redding , author of a very promising debut riding the Desmosedici last week at Mugello (he shot just over a second time by Valentino).

Good riddance, interista.

Welcome aboard Dovi!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Shame it didnt work out with VR and Duc, hope he gets back to winning ways. But, think it be hard up against JL as team mate again.

Great news that Rossi is heading back to Yamaha. It's been horrible watching him and the bike perform so badly. I hope the move for Dovi isn't a career wrecker. Can't wait to see the Doc back to winning ways. I can't see anyone beating Yamaha with that lineup.

I was hoping Rossi/Ducati would work and I think it is a shame that it didn't, but I'm glad we will possibly get the chance to see Rossi back to winning ways and some good battles with Lorenzo at Yamaha again.

Stoner criticises Rossi over Yamaha switch

Wednesday, 15 August 2012
    In an interview with British publication MCN, reigning World Champion Casey Stoner has criticised Valentino Rossi and his crew chief Jeremy Burgess for not turning Ducati’s fortunes around like they had promised.
    The Repsol Honda rider was referring to Rossi’s and Burgess’ words, that they could create a bike any rider could win on. The Italian and his team have only managed two podiums in the last one and half seasons, with the seven-time premier-class champion having recently announced he will be switching back to Yamaha for 2013 on a two-year deal.

Stoner, who won the world championship with Ducati in 2007 and stayed with the team until 2010 had strong words about the recent turn of events: "They ate their words from day one. Jerry saying that it would take him 80 seconds to fix that bike and that it was a simple issue and now they have had almost two years and have not made any inroads. Valentino obviously doesn't want to push limits and ride a bike that is not perfect; he has admitted that.

"Obviously he doesn't want to put the effort in with Ducati. I just feel completely sorry for Ducati that Valentino has gone there and done nothing but complain about the bike for almost two years. The amount of times that guy has had to eat his words is not funny, but people still forgive him for it."

Read the full article and interview at http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...yamaha-return/

Ducati Team fully focused on Indianapolis GP

After an eventful summer break where the Ducati Team announced its split with Valentino Rossi at the end of the season, the Italian outfit is on its way back to the United States for the second of two American MotoGP™ rounds.
    The team’s goal is to continue working on the bike in order to enable a positive final part of the season for Rossi and Nicky Hayden. The American is particularly fond of the Indianapolis circuit, not only because it’s close to his home state of Kentucky, but also because it was the site of his first podium with Ducati, in 2009. Valentino Rossi has also been on the podium at this historic track, taking the victory when it first hosted the championship, in 2008.

As is always the case at the American events, Ducati Island will serve as the meeting point for the fans that come to support the Ducati Team, and to share the race weekend and enjoy the many exciting activities organized by the Italian manufacturer’s American subsidiary.

Valentino Rossi
    "This break served as an opportunity to make important decisions for the future, but now I want to return to thinking about the races because we want to improve and during the weekend it’s important to focus completely on what we have to do on the track. Indianapolis isn’t one of my favourite circuits, although I do have a win there. It’s a particular track because it’s one of those that goes in the opposite direction, so the lines are a bit strange in many of the corners. It’s a tricky track, but we’ll try to do our best and have fun."

Nicky Hayden
    "Laguna was fun, but Indy is really my home GP, just across the state line from Kentucky. Hopefully we can do a good result. We struggled more at Laguna than I expected, but Indy is much faster, with more opportunities to open the throttle. It should be nice to ride that track on the 1000s, and it will be fun for the American fans to really get to see them in action. Last season, tyre wear was critical there, but hopefully the pavement will come in a bit better this year. I hope to be competitive starting on Friday, and I’ll definitely be disappointed if we don’t get the best result of the season so far."

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/D...apolis+preview

I knew this was never the right move from day one. Vale had a good thing going at Yamaha. I hope Jorge can now get a good second title, without rivals being sidelined.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Be nice if he did win it again this year. But id like to see Casey win it before he retires this year.

Ben is going to BMW.